7525 128 2017-4-12
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
un hombre
lvl.2
Flight distance : 170830 ft
Ireland

Inspire_Max Posted at 2017-4-12 14:12
I don't need another MP...if the owner comes out will find the MP at the local police station...or the police will find him, whatever comes first...
However he has been lucky that nobody was on the balcony and got hurt by the MP...Nobody was thinking about this point...

Why do you post this in here? Why do you want the user to be found? So that he can be prosecuted? Or is it because he was flying for whatever reason and you cannot (because you stick to the rules)? Or is it because you had to pay for license and modify the mavic and he did not?

I thought you genuinely wanted the guy to be found and his drone returned but all you want to do is get him in trouble?

He had his lesson learned, give him a break.

You sound like an old jackass and I hope karma will bite you in the ass, if you do that ;)

2017-4-13
Use props
Gallacherboy
lvl.2
Flight distance : 778209 ft
United Kingdom

I have a feeling that, The Italian Job Sequel is in motion, only difference is. It will feature the Mavic Pro. Will watch that film 20 time over, even upside down.
2017-4-13
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

On the Mavic facebook group.  A users mavic randomly fell out of the sky while filming some wind mills (Some thought bird attack. But it ended up being a bad prop. That snapped off). The Mavic fell about 700 feet out of the air. In this tall grass. The user drove over and looked and looked but could not find his drone. So he gave up. He posted his cached video. And we all cried together in the group. But one of the member lived in the area. And decided to look for this missing drone so he could return it to the user (so at least he could use his Refresh care)..... After a few hours of walking through tall grass. He finds it!! Not only does he find it. But it's in perfect condition (just the prop broken off).  It was one of the most happy/positive/stories I heard.  This thread is the total opposite.
2017-4-13
Use props
un hombre
lvl.2
Flight distance : 170830 ft
Ireland

jeebs-9 Posted at 2017-4-13 05:14
On the Mavic facebook group.  A users mavic randomly fell out of the sky while filming some wind mills (Some thought bird attack. But it ended up being a bad prop. That snapped off). The Mavic fell about 700 feet out of the air. In this tall grass. The user drove over and looked and looked but could not find his drone. So he gave up. He posted his cached video. And we all cried together in the group. But one of the member lived in the area. And decided to look for this missing drone so he could return it to the user (so at least he could use his Refresh care)..... After a few hours of walking through tall grass. He finds it!! Not only does he find it. But it's in perfect condition (just the prop broken off).  It was one of the most happy/positive/stories I heard.  This thread is the total opposite.

Mavic facebook group? Can you PM me the link? Don't suppose I will find a single person in Ireland but still worth a try
2017-4-13
Use props
ChrisH_Photos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 133694 ft
South Africa

JayaTheCat Posted at 2017-4-12 20:55
People like you are why I will never comply with FAA guidelines.

People like you are why one day drones will be banned worldwide. Safety laws are there for a reason. Do you also text while driving?
2017-4-13
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

OK guys.... I agree that threatening prosecution is totally crude.  But let's try to see things from the perspective of Inspire_Max.  I don't know him or anything about him.  But I'm guessing he's probably a commercial drone pilot himself and that may be his profession and sole source of income. Just like most commercial drone pilots here,  he follows the letter of the law - FAA (ENAC) certification, permits and waivers - and then encounters someone grossly disregarding the laws.  Severe violations,  anywhere they occur, threaten enjoyment of the sport for all of us.  How many times of this Forum have we criticized OP's  for doing stupid things like flying in NFZ's,  near other aircraft, or over crowded city areas.  I can see his point at being critical of the Mavic owner, if indeed it was a deliberate flight over a restricted area.

Of course there could be many other scenarios,

However, that being said, I agree that there are kinder more rational ways to handle the situation.  I would suggest locating the Mavic owner and explain his  transgressions and possible consequences.  If the owner pleads ignorance and shows remorse, then give him a stern lecture and give his Mavic back.  If the owner is just belligerent, give the Mavic to the cops.
2017-4-13
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-4-13 05:51
OK guys.... I agree that threatening prosecution is totally crude.  But let's try to see things from the perspective of Inspire_Max.  I don't know him or anything about him.  But I'm guessing he's probably a commercial drone pilot himself and that may be his profession and sole source of income. Just like most commercial drone pilots here,  he follows the letter of the law - FAA (ENAC) certification, permits and waivers - and then encounters someone grossly disregarding the laws.  Severe violations,  anywhere they occur, threaten enjoyment of the sport for all of us.  How many times of this Forum have we criticized OP's  for doing stupid things like flying in NFZ's,  near other aircraft, or over crowded city areas.  I can see his point at being critical of the Mavic owner, if indeed it was a deliberate flight over a restricted area.

I agree . At some point the drone community has to start policing itself and putting the blame on ignorant self entitled flyers that do not care about the future of the hobby .  I would have handled it differently and tried to reunite the Mavic with its owner first to see how the person reacted and why they were flying there . If you're nice to me ,I'll be nice to you . If you are a arrogant prick that doesn't care about hurting the hobby or complying with the rules then you can pick your drone up at the police station . If you had damaged my property or hurt someone you would probably wouldn't have the choice .
2017-4-13
Use props
greenwire
lvl.2
Flight distance : 38281 ft
United States

rydfree41 Posted at 2017-4-13 06:12
I agree . At some point the drone community has to start policing itself and putting the blame on ignorant self entitled flyers that do not care about the future of the hobby .  I would have handled it differently and tried to reunite the Mavic with its owner first to see how the person reacted and why they were flying there . If you're nice to me ,I'll be nice to you . If you are a arrogant prick that doesn't care about hurting the hobby or complying with the rules then you can pick your drone up at the police station . If you had damaged my property or hurt someone you would probably wouldn't have the choice .

well said @rydfree41, i feel the same.
2017-4-13
Use props
Cspud
lvl.3
United States

Looks to me like the Troll wins.
2017-4-13
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

Brianboyd1969 Posted at 2017-4-12 22:00
You went from a hero with your fist post to a big Zero with your follow up post.  I am also calling you out in lying to us.   You say you turned it over to the Police but in the bottom of your first post you say "Tomorrow I connect to the mac to find out more infos". If the police have the property how are you going to test it more tomorrow?  Besides the bad Karma you are already getting telling lies will not help you in that department. Just get the guy hisndrone back I am sure he will reward you

Good catch, yea it does seem fishy.
2017-4-13
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Cspud Posted at 2017-4-13 06:22
Looks to me like the Troll wins.

Sadly, it does.  It is obvious Max wants the drone which is why the harshness of the tone.

I cannot convict the pilot without knowing the full story so I am calling innocent until there is reasonable doubt and will treat it as such until I know the evidence.

The rest of this thread sounds like a return to 1930's Gestapo Germany without knowing the story of the pilot that lost it.
2017-4-13
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-4-13 06:29
Sadly, it does.  It is obvious Max wants the drone which is why the harshness of the tone.

I cannot convict the pilot without knowing the full story so I am calling innocent until there is reasonable doubt and will treat it as such until I know the evidence.

Thank You!!!! Exactly what I thought,
2017-4-13
Use props
Snap_Shot
lvl.2
United States

I literally cant believe this guy
2017-4-13
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-4-13 05:51

I agree that threatening prosecution is totally crude.

It's beyond that point; he indicated that he has already turned it over to the police.

I'm guessing he's probably a commercial drone pilot himself

Maybe so, but he didn't say or imply that. He does seem familiar with the laws where he lives, but that's true of many recreational fliers so I wouldn't be inclined to assume it.

Severe violations,  anywhere they occur, threaten enjoyment of the sport for all of us.

Since there was no injury or property damage I'd probably have to disagree with calling this a "severe violation", but I'll concede your main point.

I can see his point at being critical of the Mavic owner

I can too, but there's a big difference between criticizing someone and causing them financial harm and / or legal trouble. Which I'm guessing is what you were alluding to when you wrote:

I agree that there are kinder more rational ways to handle the situation. I would suggest locating the Mavic owner and explain his transgressions and possible consequences.

That's a very reasonable suggestion, but it apparently isn't an option any longer. And the finders-keepers situation muddies the water a bit, making it unclear whether he's doing this because he's a stickler for following the law or because he hopes to keep the Mavic he found. What we do know is that in an earlier post he wrote that it "would be better for the owner to remain unknown" -- so he certainly doesn't seem to be encouraging the owner to come forward to accept punishment.

One has to wonder if the OP would want someone else to handle it the same way he did if it was his Mavic that crashed. Personally, I doubt it very much. The Golden Rule would seem very applicable here, and it strikes me as ironic that we're having this conversation the day before Good Friday. About a drone crash in Rome, no less.
2017-4-13
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-13 06:54
I agree that threatening prosecution is totally crude.

It's beyond that point; he indicated that he has already turned it over to the police.

Aye don't bring the pope into this.. He's stuck his nose into enough already.
2017-4-13
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-4-13 06:57
Aye don't bring the pope into this.. He's stuck his nose into enough already.

Hey, for all any of us know it might have been the Pope's Mavic that was found!
2017-4-13
Use props
Watty2000
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1074301 ft
United Kingdom

Don't believe a word the OP says. No footage posted of the flight/crash, sanctimonious tone and contradictory messages. He's just an attention seeking scumbag.
2017-4-13
Use props
CrazyHorse019
lvl.2
Flight distance : 348540 ft
United Kingdom

I think your problem here is too many assumptions made, lack of rational and understanding of the situation that has led to this point. Just find the owner and give him/her Mavic back. As many people have said before, just advise of the laws in Italy and do the decent thing and hand it over.  You are fine to react the way you have if damage was caused to persons/buildings but again that didn't happen. Stop being such a sanctimonious butthole.
2017-4-13
Use props
kazcow
lvl.4
Flight distance : 454101 ft
  • >>>
Spain

Keeping someone elses property is also illegal. It is not a random persons job to find the perp - it is the job of the Police.  

So while treating owner about reporting to Police for doing something illegal - the OP is doing something just as illegal by keeping the drone and looking at it - plugging it in - maybe even looking at flight history and images on the card - which is yet another law broken.

So the number of broken laws by the Mavic pilot is actually eclipsed by the finder/OP for keeping it, looking at private records on the Mavic and maybe even looking at private images on the SD card.
2017-4-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

This thread is indeed interesting as I was totally confused from the 1st to 2nd post, but we all have to play nice here and keep the personal attacks off the forum.
2017-4-13
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-4-13 09:54
This thread is indeed interesting as I was totally confused from the 1st to 2nd post, but we all have to play nice here and keep the personal attacks off the forum.

we all have to play nice here and keep the personal attacks off the forum

Sorry, Ken: I didn't mean to imply that the Pope is a lousy pilot.
2017-4-13
Use props
Bucefalo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 444944 ft
Italy

Inspire_Max Posted at 2017-4-12 11:45
Yes, but there are some points to be sorted out:

First - is TOTALLY FORBIDDEN flying over Rome and specially, the center of Rome

you are out of your mind... get cured
I'm italian.. please don't think we are as stupid as the op!
I've nothing to share with idiots like that!
2017-4-13
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-13 10:00
we all have to play nice here and keep the personal attacks off the forum

Sorry, Ken: I didn't mean to imply that the Pope is a lousy pilot.

That's funny
I'm talking about the more offensive threads.
2017-4-13
Use props
Inspire_Max
Second Officer
Flight distance : 9211303 ft
  • >>>
Italy

Brought the Mavic at the  Police, they asked help to make it work and to download pictures and movies.

They said there are "interesting pictures and movies" of "sensible targets"

They even took a screenshot from a movie  showing the pilot, maybe the owner, and they started looking for him...

The Mavic has been confiscated.

The pilot is going to face serious troubles...

That's it.

Moderators, please close this thread. Thanks.
2017-4-13
Use props
Jinjur
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Close the thread?

Close your account more like!

Nice teamwork there bud :/

J
2017-4-13
Use props
9jazOE24mkSC
lvl.2
Flight distance : 457228 ft
United States

This guy handily wins jerk off of the year award..  I hereby nominate Inspire_Ax for this award.
2017-4-13
Use props
mmee
lvl.3
United States

There will always be the people that take things way too serious. If a drone fell on my house id try and find the owner and hopefully have a new flying buddy to explore with.
2017-4-13
Use props
mmee
lvl.3
United States

Inspire_Max Posted at 2017-4-13 12:13
Brought the Mavic at the  Police, they asked help to make it work and to download pictures and movies.

I hope you enjoy your new Mavic, I would think any sane person would want to educate someone of the laws and warn them of their consequences rather than just take somebody's hard earned money.
2017-4-13
Use props
JayaTheCat
lvl.1
United States

ChrisH_Photos Posted at 2017-4-13 05:48
People like you are why one day drones will be banned worldwide. Safety laws are there for a reason. Do you also text while driving?

Lol. I don't have to comply. I live in the middle of nowhere and I'm not an idiot. I was building and flying tricopters before DJI was making this consumer friendly garbage that actually gave "drones" a bad name. Thanks for replying, I guess?
2017-4-13
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Now I am confused.  I thought you said you already took the drone to the police?

Which police station may I ask?  This will help the real owner get their property back.
2017-4-13
Use props
fans6a111c75
lvl.1
Flight distance : 14469 ft
United States

Not sure if this guy is a thief, or if he's just a f&^%ing snitch. Either way, not someone I'd care to be associated with.
2017-4-13
Use props
laceyboy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 159820 ft
United States

You forgot to take a picture showing you handed the Mavic to the police and post here.
Why you want mod to close the thread? What you afraid of?
2017-4-13
Use props
fanscec7daac
lvl.1

United States

LostMyMavic Posted at 2017-4-12 15:00
So all in all, what your saying is, Italy sucks....

I think he's saying that all in all, he sucks. We pilots are part of a community and we look out for each other. You sound like the old man with kids in his yard.
2017-4-13
Use props
michaeldk
lvl.1
Cyprus

Did anyone entertain the option that this is just an elaborate scam to scare people out of flying drones in Rome?

It all seems pretty obvious to me.

- No photo proof of the found/damaged drone (would be normal to add in his start post)
- No imagery of the contents of the SD card to help identify the owner
- Elaborate emphasis on legal consequences of flying a drone in Rome without permit, and that the Mavic has no ability to have a permit
- He has a DJI Inspire, meaning he's probably looking into creating more serious footage of Rome to commercially exploit. Having less competition benefits him.
- Calculate the probability that someone owning a high end DJI drone finds an other (intact)  DJI drone on his balcony. Easier to win the lottery twice in a row.

I'm fairly certain this is just an Italian's way of trying to reduce the amount of skilled competitors. As most skilled video producers are active on the DJI forum (versus complete amateurs who buy a Mavic to make selfies) and the Mavic is the #1 sold drone making quality 4K footage it's not unreasonable to say that a single negative post here could potentially reduce his competitors (And hence quality footage of Rome) by a couple of factors overnight. That way he assures his own footage is more unique and becomes more sellable to local tourist authorities or marketable for companies.

There are two other options I'm willing to consider, but I doubt they are true:
1) Some obscure italian law dictates that if he wants to be eligable to keep the drone he found after reporting it to the police, he must "post an announcement with the intent to find the owner" in a relevant place such as magazine, locally in the neighbourhood or - a product/photography/drone forum. If the owner is a no-show, he can keep it.
2) He simply does not want the owner to report the drone as missing with the police (As doing so would perhaps, make the finder of the drone a thief in case he doesn't return it) and tries to scare him into not making a report / not going to authorities / not publishing any footage of his drone being lost online.

My $0.02
2017-4-13
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

"Strict adherence to the law is often the greatest injustice."

Publius Terentius Afer
2017-4-14
Use props
blunt_blunt
Ban Posts

Australia

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-4-14
Use props
MacIak
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3419 ft
Belgium

Everything is " interesting"  nowadays cause unfortunately there are many paranoid spineless posers like yourself. Shame on you. Poser.

(for DJI) : This does gives me a suggestion for mavicII >> a button (emergency button pref using a freq in the LF/VLF range) that makes the Mavic melt (by battery) into a single chunk so it becomes useless when lost, and found by posers like this.
2017-4-14
Use props
blunt_blunt
Ban Posts

Australia

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-4-15
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Wow.  Careful on that.  Maybe you had a run in with the law, but I do know some cops and they go out of their way to educate over giving a fine or arresting so that label is inappropriate.

For the future, if you have a run in with an officer, simply tell the truth.  They get lied to all day long so someone telling the truth is rewarded by rarely ever getting a fine or getting arrested.  This is their way of showing their appreciation, though expect that they will educate you on what you did wrong.

Note: Lying first or playing dumb and then coming clean means you are getting that ticket.  Tell the truth to start with.
2017-4-15
Use props
Aaronmke
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2155883 ft
United States

Inspire_max I hope you choke on a pizza
2017-4-15
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now