1512 32 2015-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Arrow1969
Second Officer
Flight distance : 400577 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I started flying RC helicopters in the 70s before stabillization of any kind, who is is from thet era and is still flying.
2015-3-2
Use props
mattks
lvl.2

South Africa

Well after stabilization, been flying for 9 to 10 years now. Playing with phantoms and inspires for fun

Prior to heli's was flying planks since the 80's
2015-3-2
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

mattks Posted at 2015-3-2 19:19
Well after stabilization, been flying for 9 to 10 years now. Playing with phantoms and inspires for  ...

They are so much easier to fly now, only problems is the complexity of the software too many settings lots of people seem to have problems updating firmware.

I had been flying for about 5 years before the first gyro came in.  
2015-3-2
Use props
mattks
lvl.2

South Africa

Some of the controller units are a bugger to master. Some are very intuitive. But like most things, you get what you pay for.

As for flying, yup, the new controllers take a lot of the work of your hands. As for the quads, they are not really about the flying in my opinion, more about the creativity that lies within your reach.

Just out of curiosity, what heli setups are you flying?
2015-3-2
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
Flight distance : 729560 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I started flying mid 80's before gyros. The most technical thing we had was REVO mixing in the high end transmitters. Remember crystals?
2015-3-2
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I flew my heli a few weeks ago after flying only quads for a while. Conclusion...... quads make you lazy!!!!!. I had lost the fine subtle inputs for the heli that the quad does on its own. It soon came back however. I agree with matt. From a flying perspective I prefer the heli and even fixed wing but I absolutely love the aerial video side of quads.  
2015-3-2
Use props
bubo_bubo
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I used to make peg guns out of wood, pegs and elastic bands shooting bits of slate before these kids had air guns tut

Joking aside how did the hobby compare in expense then to now out of interest?
2015-3-2
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

It seems to me, that the new aircraft RC radios are much more complex than the DJI controller, even the app is less tedious than navigating the multi channel transmitters for RC. I'm not a heli guy like most of you but I've flown fixed wing Rc for years. They were more intuitive with the old FM 4 channel radios than the now feature packed digital ones. Granted you can do way more on the new radios. I would suggest a ( tunnel vision ) approach to flying with the new radios, a sort of set it and forget thing. Train yourself to set the complex part of the radio and app and only use the fewest features as possible. In my opinion, the pilot should not spend as much time looking at the iPad as he or she does at the aircraft. But that's just me. If you want first person view get an ultralight, you can buy a decent used one for the price of an octa copter setup.
2015-3-2
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

For me there is a huge difference in cost. When I started I was just a kid and my Dad paid God rest his soul. Now I have to pay myself...... bummer!!! The RC hobby in general has been a big part of my life and probably kept me out of trouble as a youngster.
It has always been a pricey hobby if you want nice kit.
In certain areas I would say it is cheaper now than it was. For example, I bought a fixed wing aircraft recently,  an FW 190 ready made with servo's, motor and speed controller .  It is of foam construction and took 20 minutes to get flight ready and cost £115.00. It flies superbly and looks great in the air. It would cost almost as much for glue and covering to finish a traditional balsa model and the hours to build it. Oh the hours!!!   
2015-3-2
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I lied sorry guys ......... it was 1980 and I was 12 years old.......... thats just made me feel really old now
2015-3-2
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Even better Danger, get a paramotor, its cheaper again. Here's a link. It can be a bit scary but its FPV at its best.   
2015-3-2
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dave E Posted at 2015-3-3 01:05
Even better Danger, get a paramotor, its cheaper again. Here's a link. https://www.youtube.com/watch ...

Hi Dave E cracking video, i fly microlights in the 80s still got the scars i agree with you about the FPV.

Have a PPL H (expired) too expensive.
2015-3-2
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I would love to try for a PPl Arrow but agreed, too expensive unfortunately.  
2015-3-2
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dangair Posted at 2015-3-3 00:43
It seems to me, that the new aircraft RC radios are much more complex than the DJI controller, even  ...

Dangair You're right I've been out of the hobby for 10 years I'm amazed at what the transmitter can do nowadays
2015-3-2
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

bubo_bubo Posted at 2015-3-3 00:37
I used to make peg guns out of wood, pegs and elastic bands shooting bits of slate before these kids ...

Things were more simple then, compare to today's prices it was more expensive then
2015-3-2
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dave E Posted at 2015-3-3 01:20
I would love to try for a PPl Arrow but agreed, too expensive unfortunately.

I learn to fixed wing in the 80s at Manchester Airport it used to cast me £22 an hour I then went on to helicopters got my PPL H for £5500  
2015-3-2
Use props
Wildcat Willie
lvl.3

Canada

HaHaHa...The technology has come a long way. I started out building a balsa wood P40 and doping the skin...Fly by wire going in circles round and round up and down guaranteed not to fly any further than 100ft the end of the line...The biggest hazard was getting dizzy...I also started out on tubes in electronics and then the transistor came in....This was back in the early 1970s..The technology on my I1 was never dreamed of...
2015-3-2
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Wildcat Willie Posted at 2015-3-3 01:44
HaHaHa...The technology has come a long way. I started out building a balsa wood P40 and doping the  ...

doesn't a modern tablet have more computer power then the moon shots
2015-3-2
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Before you get any ideas Arrow, I don't think even a TB 48 would get you to the moon!!
Where are you Arrow? I'm North East England.
2015-3-2
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Dave E Posted at 2015-3-3 02:12
Before you get any ideas Arrow, I don't think even a TB 48 would get you to the moon!!
Where are y ...

Cheshire 2.5 miles as the crow / Inspire files from Manchester Airport just outside the no fly zone

Inspire fly's okay in my back garden only been up to 15 ft though
Yes you might need quite a few TB 48 for a moon shot
2015-3-2
Use props
bubo_bubo
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I thought you fellas would say more expensive due to availability but suppose things have moved on slightly with some technology matters, although more mass production is prob a factor these days. From my ten or so years messing around in an out with cheap kit I can see a difference but it must be phenomenal difference to back then.

I was looking at some of the jet stuff people are into and thats just insane.

Then to another perspective where some aircraft are caught with skyhooks, I cant believe they stay in one piece.

Oh the hours!!!

I remember us asking a local kid for a go on his RC Plane and he wouldn't due to having just spent weeks rebuilding after a crash and this being his first flight so we asked him to do a loop...cue a 150ft nose dive into the turf. We helped him carry the bits home as he was distraught!
2015-3-2
Use props
mattks
lvl.2

South Africa

Bubo. The technology has really moved on. You don't see radio failure nowadays. Lips and brushless motors have been huge game changers. But that been said. I still have 2 helis running nitro.

Dave, crystals, sure do remember those. Still have 1 of my old futaba radios. My 6 year old and 9 year old are forever asking what is the long silver thing that sticks out the top
2015-3-2
Use props
Dave E
lvl.4
  • >>>
United Kingdom

One of the technologies that I find amazing is the telemetry system on modern RC equipment. I have a glider that I have installed a variometer into. Its about 25 mm long and connects to the aircraft receiver. The receiver sends data back to my transmitter and it tells me what height the aircraft is at and whether it is in lift or in sink and at what rate. Thermalling is much easier. It also tells me the voltage in the aircraft power supply. Clever ain't it!!
I have heard of a new technology that is in development and apparently it will automatically make our partners say things like "the weather looks good why don't you go flying" rather than "we're going shopping" Its at least 5 years off yet though.   
2015-3-2
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Dave E Posted at 2015-3-3 01:05
Even better Danger, get a paramotor, its cheaper again. Here's a link. https://www.youtube.com/watch ...

I already own an ultralight, so I have that part covered. Northwing Maveric 2
2015-3-2
Use props
Dangair
lvl.4

Canada

Wildcat Willie Posted at 2015-3-3 01:44
HaHaHa...The technology has come a long way. I started out building a balsa wood P40 and doping the  ...

Me too, two long strings and a cox engine strapped onto some balsa. You could drill yourself right into the dirt flying those.
2015-3-2
Use props
Heliflo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8885013 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

started in the 90's - already piezzo gyro fot the tail...
2015-3-3
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

Well I was born in the '70's...so not me.  I have been flying planes and helis for over 15 years, but always had gyro's.  Couldn't imagine learning to fly a heli without any stabilization at all, I crashed a bunch learning to fly WITH all the tech attached.  
2015-3-4
Use props
Arrow1969
Second Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

ScottGunn Posted at 2015-3-5 07:11
Well I was born in the '70's...so not me.  I have been flying planes and helis for over 15 years, bu ...

hi ScottGunn because they weren't available in the beginning you just learn to fly that way, modern technology just makes it easier, the biggest advantage was and still is because you built it yourself you have a better understating of how it works and flies
2015-3-5
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

Late seventies started with Rc planes . Now , the phantom 1 very moded , a p2 my custom moded
beauty , a new inspire one absolutly excellent !! , a habu 180 ducted fan , the freewing f/a 18 df , and a freewing A/10 thunderbolt df ....DJIs stuff is near perfect in comparison to others  , the Ferrari of camera quads !
2015-3-5
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Dave E Posted at 2015-3-3 00:30
I started flying mid 80's before gyros. The most technical thing we had was REVO mixing in the high  ...

Balsa and gas motors lots of hours and destruction too ! If Yer not ready for a few crashes then rc flight is Not for you ! Right ? Boy the early years and the fun memories . Wow !
2015-3-5
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Dave E Posted at 2015-3-3 00:34
I flew my heli a few weeks ago after flying only quads for a while. Conclusion...... quads make you  ...

Every couple of weeks I get my little Habu 180 df out to the park , that lil guy really keeps things interesting , very small and quick ... I used to fly gas 1/2 A racers for fun real fast quick and small ..
2015-3-5
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
United States

Dave E Posted at 2015-3-3 00:52
For me there is a huge difference in cost. When I started I was just a kid and my Dad paid God rest  ...

Dude ! Oh the hours , oh the crashes eh ? I do remember ...
2015-3-5
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

Arrow1969 Posted at 2015-3-5 22:02
hi ScottGunn because they weren't available in the beginning you just learn to fly that way, moder ...

I agree on the point about building yourself.  Understanding how and why it reacts and flies a huge advantage.  My father worked at Bell Helicopter for over 40 years and helped me understand some of the more complicated issues, which was helpful.
2015-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules