14361 12 2017-4-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Thomas Valdez
New
Flight distance : 5607 ft
United States

DJI Team,

Can you inform us what the regulations are for  Batteries to be on a plane. Do we need to have this in Carry on only or can this be in our regular baggage. does this meet the US requierments for flying. Do they have to be in any special packaging in order to be on store away luggage? Thanks for the Quick response. Im new to DJI and im excited to take it to Ireland.
2017-4-13
Use props
HFMan
lvl.2
Flight distance : 882106 ft
United States

No Lithium Ion or Polymer batteries in checked luggage... they MUST be carried on.
2017-4-13
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

It's generally recommended to discharge the batteries to at least 50% (one airline reportedly wants 30% but I'd do 50 unless someone insists).  It's also a good idea to make sure the terminals are covered by covering with electrical tape and maybe a plastic bag or container for the battery.
2017-4-13
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

All batteries must in carry on, 50% discharged. I also use  a plastic cover to cover the battery contact port and put them in a lipo fire retardant bag.

Better be safe then sorry!
2017-4-13
Use props
K6-Prefix
lvl.1
United States

WolfgangStiller Posted at 2017-4-13 11:14
It's generally recommended to discharge the batteries to at least 50% (one airline reportedly wants 30% but I'd do 50 unless someone insists).  It's also a good idea to make sure the terminals are covered by covering with electrical tape and maybe a plastic bag or container for the battery.

How come only 50%? Why not just discharge it completely?
2017-4-13
Use props
PizzaFiend
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1489593 ft
United States

Here are the FAA guidelines: Pack Safe - Lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, spare (uninstalled)
2017-4-13
Use props
manfredo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1891142 ft
  • >>>
United States

I've traveled with my Mavic and batteries carried onto the plane with no issues at all from he airline or TSA.
2017-4-13
Use props
WolfgangStiller
lvl.4
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

K6-Prefix Posted at 2017-4-13 11:26
How come only 50%? Why not just discharge it completely?

Approximately 50% is the best storage charge to optimize the life of the battery. You never want to discharge these batteries completely (the smart battery won't let you do that but even getting close to a full discharge is not good).
2017-4-14
Use props
FrequentFlyer
lvl.4
United States

It depends on what airline you are flying, also DJI has no authority to tell you what you can and cannot bring. The MOD's can only suggest.
2017-4-14
Use props
MarcosM
lvl.1
Flight distance : 112073 ft
Spain

It depends of regulation of each airline but DJI Mavic Pro has batteries with a power that is within the limits allowed to fly in an airplane.
2017-7-19
Use props
geoffz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1941322 ft
  • >>>
United States

PizzaFiend Posted at 2017-4-13 11:59
Here are the FAA guidelines: Pack Safe - Lithium ion and lithium metal batteries, spare (uninstalled)

I don't see anywhere that the FAA mandates 'lipo bags'.

Anyone travel without inserting them into a lipo bag?
2018-3-19
Use props
Celsus
lvl.4
Flight distance : 196594 ft
United Kingdom

I have travelled with my Mavic batteries in lipo bags within cabin luggage at 35%-50% max charge with no problems. The storage bags are not a mandatory requirement, they may however provide assurance during the inevitable baggage inspection.
2018-3-19
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

geoffz Posted at 2018-3-19 10:00
I don't see anywhere that the FAA mandates 'lipo bags'.

Anyone travel without inserting them into a lipo bag?

The FAA and TSA both have regulations that prohibit Li batteries in checked luggage (although I've heard of TSA gate agents that tried to force passengers to place their drones and batteries in checked luggage - I suggest carrying a copy of FAA regs, just in case).  Neither specifies LiPo bags.  I have traveled without battery bags - batteries in the standard Mavic bag,  

Airlines ultimately have the last word in safety - maybe requiring LiPo bags - but should never force them into checked baggage.

One odd note:  The FAA and TSA regulations DO permit the transport of "installed" Li batteries in checked luggage - that would be your Mavic and mounted battery - but all "spares" must be transported in carry-on luggage.

2018-3-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules