Beware of Inpsire 2 update ... again
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mark847
lvl.2
Flight distance : 745374 ft
  • >>>
United States

Just did the latest (2nd) firware update  for my Inspire 2... It did the same thing it did last time. It reset several of my settings/preferences, the most dangerous being the Low and critical battery warnings... down to about 7%.   DJI, would be great if you could fix that from happening somehow. This could be really bad for  someone who is used to getting a warning at 30% and they hear nothing until 7% and may not want to rely on safe return to home etc.  

2017-4-13
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
Flight distance : 22488593 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

You can manually reset the 'warning' and 'critical' settings at any time.
2017-4-13
Use props
SPH*i2*
lvl.4
Flight distance : 322579 ft
United Kingdom

I agree I updated yesterday and went to fly i2 I was really enjoying it when it gave me the 7% warning with only 10 seconds to RTH. Thankfully I landed i2 safely on the ground in time. I too had not noticed that the warning time was reduced.
2017-4-14
Use props
Mark847
lvl.2
Flight distance : 745374 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-4-13 19:41
You can manually reset the 'warning' and 'critical' settings at any time.

of course, but that's beside the point
2017-4-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mark847 Posted at 2017-4-14 08:13

After any firmware update you should go through all your preferences as precaution.
2017-4-14
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Mark847 Posted at 2017-4-14 08:13

Resetting can happen depending on the nature of the update. Most system updates normally reset settings when something major changes, it happens with various other types of electronics as well.
2017-4-14
Use props
GabeZ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 768448 ft
United States

Surprise!!!..... Thankfully I noticed my settings were reset when I went to test for functionality before takeoff.
2017-4-14
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

SPH*i2* Posted at 2017-4-14 03:15
I agree I updated yesterday and went to fly it really enjoying it when it gave me the 7% warning with only 10 seconds to RTH. Thankfully I landed i2 safely on the ground in time.

I'm not sure if you are just being facetious but I'd land at the lowest around 25% as a habit. This is a pretty expensive craft to crash on account of low battery...
2017-4-14
Use props
fans0ebd0f84
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34098 ft
Germany

I think he meant that he was enjoying flying. Not the fact that the warning came so abruptly.
But back to the central issue: Is there a way to save all settings, so that after a firmware update I could simply restore everything with one menu button?
2017-4-15
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

fans0ebd0f84 Posted at 2017-4-15 00:16
I think he meant that he was enjoying flying. Not the fact that the warning came so abruptly.
But back to the central issue: Is there a way to save all settings, so that after a firmware update I could simply restore everything with one menu button?

I'm not aware of a central setting repository but if one reads the firmware release notes, you'll know what changed. I've reset my 'safety limits' without any issues

DJI's threading of feature changes is much better now than it used to be.

It pays to check parameters anyway every time an upgrade comes along...
2017-4-15
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-4-15 08:12
I'm not aware of a central setting repository but if one reads the firmware release notes, you'll know what changed. I've reset my 'safety limits' without any issues

DJI's threading of feature changes is much better now than it used to be.

MTC
Agree with your assessment totally. I have always checked all the settings after updating the FW of all the DJI drones. Sometimes it leaves things alone and other times it changes everything.

This is just a good practice if you value your equipment and safety

Rich
2017-4-15
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-4-15 11:47
MTC
Agree with your assessment totally. I have always checked all the settings after updating the FW of all the DJI drones. Sometimes it leaves things alone and other times it changes everything.

Yep! Happy flying pal.
2017-4-15
Use props
DECinHSV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14255190 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-4-14 22:05
I'm not sure if you are just being facetious but I'd land at the lowest around 25% as a habit. This is a pretty expensive craft to crash on account of low battery...

Mike . . . curious why do you land with 25% left?  Why not 40 or 50%?  I often (majority of the time) land at 10-12% power.  Sure its only a few min's more flight time per battery set and I do position the aircraft closer to me as it gets near 20-25% OR place in an open area so that the critical stage could do its thing if need be, but not sure I really see the logic of 25+ %.  Interested in hearing why 25 and not 40+???
2017-4-16
Use props
DECinHSV
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14255190 ft
  • >>>
United States

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-4-14 22:05

Mike . . . curious why do you land with 25% left?  Why not 40 or 50%?  I often (majority of the time) land at 10-12% power.  Sure its only a few min's more flight time per battery set and I do position the aircraft closer to me as it gets near 20-25% OR place in an open area so that the critical stage could do its thing if need be, but not sure I really see the logic of 25+ %.  Interested in hearing why 25 and not 40+???
2017-4-16
Use props
Amadeusz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24190 ft
United Arab Emirates

DECinHSV Posted at 2017-4-16 22:18

I believe that, this is called "Battery Maintenance".  I would never land below 25%, unless some unique, unusual situation will force me.  Too wide subject to divagate.  I kindly suggest you to go through a couple of articles about the Li-Po Batteries usage and storage tips.
2017-4-17
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

DECinHSV Posted at 2017-4-16 22:18

I use 25% as a benchmark for long flights to set a margin of safety. In some of my flights, I go out quite far (3.5km) and when you factor in wind, battery drain can be higher in the last minutes of flight. As you know, with all batteries, the ability to deliver current is diminished as the battery closes in the low end of state-of-charge. The behaviour is non-linear and can be quite scary. I know that some people have the ethos of getting into trouble and then finding excuses to blame someone else. I'm conservative and not ashamed to be.
As someone who has over 800 flights and now flown over 2100 kilometres, I have been in situations where, getting home was hair raising.  At 15%, if there is a +/- 5% error in SOC evaluation by coulomb counting (which is how these smart batteries work), you run the risk of crashing an expensive craft. As I state to the next poster, this is fine if you know what you are doing. But I wont take the risk. Case in point: http://forum.dji.com/thread-93004-1-1.html

LiPo s do not 'like' being left at full charge for long and one should not drain them to their minimum operating capacity too often either. (this is recommended periodically for SOC calibration). If you discharge an Inspire 1 battery to 25%, where I am, the battery temp goes to 59-61C which is pretty toasty. And high heat is not good for batteries.

As for stopping at 40%, well, you are not using the full capacity of the battery, so that doesn't make sense although some say that to extend battery life, it may be a good idea to discharge down to different levels occassionally. I'm not sure about this advice.

The fact that DJI sets the default warning at 15% now, suggests that they have done some additional testing and feel comfortable with that mark. I'm probably being too conservative because I do note that the battery temp is about 5-7C lower for the I2 compared to the I1 at 25% remaining charge. This suggests greater resilience to current draw at that SOC for the I2, but why risk a $8000 craft?

I've read http://batteryuniversity.com/lea ... ium_based_batteries and recommend it as a reference

2017-4-17
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

Amadeusz Posted at 2017-4-17 00:02
I believe that, this is called "Battery Maintenance".  I would never land below 25%, unless some unique, unusual situation will force me.  Too wide subject to divagate.  I kindly suggest you to go through a couple of articles about the Li-Po Batteries usage and storage tips.

How many times have you flown in wind or on a mountain where a hand catch landing can take longer than expected?

I prefer to be safe than sorry and to keep my batteries in good shape for as long as possible.

I respect that everyone has their own preferences about level of risk they feel comfortable with.
And yes, I've read http://batteryuniversity.com/lea ... ium_based_batteries

I will be more than happy to listen to your discourse on battery chemistry and discharge curves.
2017-4-17
Use props
Amadeusz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 24190 ft
United Arab Emirates

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-4-17 07:22
How many times have you flown in wind or on a mountain where a hand catch landing can take longer than expected?

I prefer to be safe than sorry and to keep my batteries in good shape for as long as possible.

Hey Han Solo,

I am not really sure what is your problem with myself, since my answer is a rather clear agreement with your battery usage techniques and practices.  Anyway, I have not quoted your post and I did not mean to answer to any of your posts.  
Mountains ? Wind ? Never heard of.

Anyway, have a nice day chief.
2017-4-18
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

Amadeusz Posted at 2017-4-18 20:42
Hey Han Solo,

I am not really sure what is your problem with myself, since my answer is a rather clear agreement with your battery usage techniques and practices.  Anyway, I have not quoted your post and I did not mean to answer to any of your posts.  

Sorry if I sounded 'aggressive'. It was not meant to be.

I do respect your point of view and that's what these forums should be about.

As long as you keep your birds flying home safely, that will be great.

The OP on the post I quoted nearly crashed his craft and I'm a little cautious myself because of a really scary incident up on a mountain where, I wanted more flight time when the battery was alreay low. However, it took almost two minutes to hand catch an Inspire 1 (could not land for either rocks or tall grass). because the wind got gusty in between takeoff and landing. I managed to just avoid auto-landing but it was an experience I would not want to relive again
2017-4-19
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Second Officer
  • >>>
Singapore

Amadeusz Posted at 2017-4-17 00:02

Hmm, I did more testing and the Inspire 2 batteries do perform differently from the Phantom and Inspire 1 ones in that they tolerate going down more % before lift is lost.

I have to take back the caution. 20% is the new 30%.....

However, I still try to get back to within 50m of home by 25% if there is a breeze just to give some margin of safety.
2017-4-29
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules