Need more ND filters!
3821 22 2015-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cinejeff
lvl.1
United States

Has anyone found a heavier ND filter that fits the inspire camera?  At 24fps with a shutter of 1/50 the image is severely overexposed.  Increasing the shutter angle is not a viable option for video shooting.  I can't believe that I am the only person who needs more ND on the camera.

2015-3-2
Use props
shaungish
lvl.2

United States

I'm in the same boat - anyone have any links to recommended ND or Polas that will fit and not be too heavy?  I need to buy today if possible.
2015-3-2
Use props
kgarrison
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11736709 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have asked both Polar Pro and SRP to come out with ND filters for the Inspire
2015-3-2
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4626 ft
United States

You're one of many. As a guy who shoots video regularly, I know how important it is to have a 180 degree shutter.

I'm surprised a company hasn't started making 3rd party ND filters yet...
2015-3-2
Use props
cinejeff
lvl.1
United States

As a stop-gap solution I cut a wratten ND to size and put it in the Inspire filter ring.  I can't be certain if there are any artifacts or ghost images until I view the footage on a large monitor in the DaVinci Resolve room.
2015-3-3
Use props
Heliflo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8885013 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

You're for sure not the only one...;-) I've spent nights with searching for stronger ND Filters wich fitts the inspires Cam - no succes so far - I think I have to stay with those foils you can cut and put on the original ND Filter or on the UV/Protective Filter...Hope there will be a more usable solution soon...
2015-3-3
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

Are you guys getting grainy footage? I think it's from the internal sharpening. This camera over-sharpens and -1 is too muddy.
2015-3-3
Use props
UM305
lvl.3

United States

I brought 1 set  37mm.

NDF  2,4,8
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
UV,CPL,Warming
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2015-3-3
Use props
River 1
New

United States

UM305 Posted at 2015-3-4 10:25
I brought 1 set  37mm.

NDF  2,4,8

http://www.amazon.com/Altura-Pho ... ref=pd_bxgy_p_img_z
I just had these three delivered and testing now .. they fit fine and if anything they are a bit too much... I generally shoot at 1080 60fps
2015-3-3
Use props
UM305
lvl.3

United States

River 1 Posted at 2015-3-4 10:45
http://www.amazon.com/Altura-Photo-Professional-Photography-MagicFiber/dp/B0083WYF4Y/ref=pd_bxgy_p ...

I am using the UV as Clear protector , plus ND or CPL depending the local environment.
Honestly, The AGFA looks much better (made in Japan)

2015-3-3
Use props
Marktho1
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

River 1 Posted at 2015-3-4 10:45
http://www.amazon.com/Altura-Photo-Professional-Photography-MagicFiber/dp/B0083WYF4Y/ref=pd_bxgy_p ...

I have these filters as well.. I am concerned that they may be to heavy for the gimbal.. thoughts?
2015-3-3
Use props
rceye
lvl.1

Australia

Its been annoying me that there is no other DJI options for filters -
I'm also wanting some feedback  in regards to the filters mentioned above - before purchasing - are they ok to use in regards to their weight with the Inspire camera ?
2015-3-4
Use props
mkell7
lvl.3
Flight distance : 307431 ft
United States

I recently came across this site: polarprofilters
It seems they specialize in Gopro filters and accessories for action sports and quadcopters. I emailed them asking if they had any plans to produce a filter set for the inspire 1, no response yet... but i let them know the interest was there.
2015-3-4
Use props
pandppurchase
lvl.3

United Kingdom

UM305 Posted at 2015-3-4 10:25
I brought 1 set  37mm.

NDF  2,4,8

How are they working? Any problems with them, any info greatly received.
2015-3-5
Use props
Renaat
lvl.3

it is a hopeless waiting for information. It would be so easy for the ND DJI supplier to make some more ….. Why he does not do, some one knows that company ?
2015-3-5
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

The Polar Pro filters are crap quality - mine went in the bin. I would imagine anything they come out with for the Inspire will be the same dire glass so I wouldn't bother
The SRP Blurfix are much better. They maybe worth a shot.

Currently waiting on a 37mm Heliopan..... not sure whether weight will be an issue or vignetting but I know the quality will be superb.
2015-3-5
Use props
DJIguy
lvl.1

United States

Hello Pilots,

Just thought I would leave my two cents here since I currently run ND & Polarizer Filters. I currently own the DJI Phantom 2 Plus and DJI 1 Inspire. I also ordered the Phantom 3 and am waiting on it to arrive in the mail. I am currently running PolarPro Filters on both. In the past I was not very happy with the overall quality of their glass (PolarPro ND Naked filter) on my GoPro paired with my Phantom 2,  but since then they have definitely up'd their game with the recent releases. The glass has great optics and no distortion to the image quality, and the construction is about 1/2 the weight of their old filters by slimming it down to a much more clean design. I am not to familiar with SRP but my guess is its around the same quality, but more expensive (PP runs for $69.99 -3pack). If anyone has used SRP I'd like to know your opinion on them.

Here are the links to the PP Filters I am currently running:

http://polarprofilters.com/shop/DJI-Inspire-1-Filter
http://polarprofilters.com/shop/Vision2PlusNDFilter3pack

-DJIguy
2015-5-14
Use props
DJIguy
lvl.1

United States

rceye Posted at 2015-3-5 15:43
Its been annoying me that there is no other DJI options for filters -
I'm also wanting some feedbac ...

Hi Rceye,

I have been using PolarPro Filters with my Phantom 2 plus and recently with my Inspire 1. I have had no issues and have not heard of anyone having issues. The DJI UV filter for the Inspire 1 is 4 grams, the PP Filter is roughly 6 grams depending on the filter being used (Polarizer or ND). So the difference in added weight after uninstalling the DJI UV filter and installing the PP Filter is +2 grams, which is not much. Hope this helps!

-DJIguy
2015-5-14
Use props
DJIguy
lvl.1

United States

scooterlam Posted at 2015-3-4 09:30
Are you guys getting grainy footage? I think it's from the internal sharpening. This camera over-sha ...

If you are shooting in 4k, your monitor must be able to support 4k as well or it will appear grainy.

-DJIguy
2015-5-14
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

If you're looking for high-quality ND filters that are the same weight as the DJI-supplied filters (important for correct balancing of the gimbal), one of our own forum members - Renaat - custom designed a set and outsourced the manufacturing to a factory.  The results and how to order are discussed in this thread:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-13938-1-1.html
2015-5-14
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

DJIguy Posted at 2015-5-15 02:41
If you are shooting in 4k, your monitor must be able to support 4k as well or it will appear grain ...

lol who told you that? WRONG WRONG WRONG. I shoot in 5K on my Red Epic and view the native 5K files on my retina macbook pro and the files don't appear "grainy" but rather beautiful.

I have viewed my 4K files from the Inspire on my Retina Macbook Pro and again, not grainy. You're either underexposing your shots or you're screwed up your post workflow color grade.
2015-5-17
Use props
DJIguy
lvl.1

United States

scooterlam Posted at 2015-5-18 05:54
lol who told you that? WRONG WRONG WRONG. I shoot in 5K on my Red Epic and view the native 5K file ...

I was way off.
2015-5-18
Use props
delas
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1372287 ft
Greece

i find this discussion about the filters weight limit (3 or 4 grams) pointless. even a much heavier filter will not affect negatively the gimbal for a very simple reason...... the gimbal is designed to work fine even under  bad weather's conditions. we know and we have tested several times that the gimbal works fine under 5-6 beaufort air.  so if you calculate in grams the  air pressure, of a 5-6 Beaufort condition, on the gimbal, the conclusion is that the gimbal will work fine with heavier filters. this is my opinion and i would buy heavier filters.   what is your opinion?
2015-5-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules