RAW-Foto should never be D-LOG!
5625 16 2017-4-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
bitboy0 - mavic
lvl.2
Flight distance : 212201 ft
Germany

I make Video in D-LOG often. But if I take a photo in between and f.e. D-LOG is activated, the JPG & RAW are in D-LOG also!
This is an error/bug! RAW never ever should be something other than the raw (names it!) sensor-data!

it's really not usefull and nobody ever expect to have altered data in a DNG-File named "RAW". It makes it really hard to process these images than. Also the results are far away from what would have been possible that way!

So please take care to correct that behavior soon! It takes so much time to switch between D-LOG, NONE and D-LOG again for just to take a Photo if video allways are taken in D-LOG.

2017-4-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

The D-Log is for video and RAW is for photos.
You are supposed to set them up individually.
While you are in  video mode (icon above the shutter/photo button), press that icon and it will take you into the camera photo settings and there you can change photos to JPEG, RAW, or JPEG+RAW.
If you are in video mode then you don't see those settings so you must put it into camera mode.
2017-4-14
Use props
ChrisH_Photos
lvl.2
Flight distance : 133694 ft
South Africa

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-4-14 09:36
While you are in  video mode (icon above the shutter/photo button), press that icon and it will take you into the camera photo settings and there you can change photos to JPEG, RAW, or JPEG+RAW.

Ken, do you know if there is going to be a fix for the issue of RAW not being available in active track. The Mavic switches to JPEG in the intelligent flight modes, and there is no RAW option.

As a Pro action sports photographer, this is why I bought the drone. Jpg is no good to me at all.
2017-4-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ChrisH_Photos Posted at 2017-4-14 09:50
Ken, do you know if there is going to be a fix for the issue of RAW not being available in active track. The Mavic switches to JPEG in the intelligent flight modes, and there is no RAW option.

As a Pro action sports photographer, this is why I bought the drone. Jpg is no good to me at all.

It may be a limitation of the aircraft due to the processing needed for Active Track.
I've sent an email to R&D inquiring about it and will let you know when I hear back.
2017-4-14
Use props
ChrisH_Photos
lvl.2
South Africa

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-4-14 10:14
It may be a limitation of the aircraft due to the processing needed for Active Track.
I've sent an email to R&D inquiring about it and will let you know when I hear back.

Thank you kindly Sir.

I'd imagine if it can process 4k video at 60mb/s while in active traack, then  a Raw photo should be easy enough. Even if I can only take one every 10 or 20 seconds I'd be happier than with JPEG.
2017-4-14
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

ChrisH_Photos Posted at 2017-4-14 10:21
Thank you kindly Sir.

I'd imagine if it can process 4k video at 60mb/s while in active traack, then  a Raw photo should be easy enough. Even if I can only take one every 10 or 20 seconds I'd be happier than with JPEG.

Totally understand and we'll see what they say. I'll let you know possibly this evening if they get back to me by then.
2017-4-14
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

subscribed
2017-4-14
Use props
bitboy0 - mavic
lvl.2
Germany

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-4-14 09:36

Sorry, but this is totally wrong either! RAW means "take the sensor data and store it". It should be no matter what color-mode is activated for JPG or the video-mode. Maybe I like the cinematic colormode for JPG or even D-LOG, but RAW should be not affected at all. So whatever the mavic does before storing an image (denoise, sharpening or grading) it should not affect the DNG.

This is how all cameras work I have. Starting from my OnePlus3T up to CanonEOS. RAW is just the sensor data. Not more and not less. If the mavic does some processing before storing a DNG, this is an error.
2017-4-14
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Flight distance : 357169 ft
Denmark

bitboy0 - mavic Posted at 2017-4-14 12:00
Sorry, but this is totally wrong either! RAW means "take the sensor data and store it". It should be no matter what color-mode is activated for JPG or the video-mode. Maybe I like the cinematic colormode for JPG or even D-LOG, but RAW should be not affected at all. So whatever the mavic does before storing an image (denoise, sharpening or grading) it should not affect the DNG.

This is how all cameras work I have. Starting from my OnePlus3T up to CanonEOS. RAW is just the sensor data. Not more and not less. If the mavic does some processing before storing a DNG, this is an error.

I kind of agree with you, but...

Technically you cannot view the photo in a raw file without a profile assigned. Programs like Canon's own Digital Photo Professional and Adobe's Lightroom or Camera Raw has pre-build profiles for your camera's raw photos they assign when opening a raw file. That's why Adobe doesn't support raw files from for example a new Canon camera until Adobe has created at least one profile that fits the data in the raw files of the new camera.

But it is a little different with cameras creating raw files in the special dng raw format (invented by Adobe by the way). Dng raw files are required to include an embedded camera profile telling how to interpret the data in a standardized way. Thanks to this built-in profile, raw processing software like for example Adobe's programs can open the files from day 1 when a new camera is introduced. Adobe doesn't need to write a profile for the camera's raw files first.

BUT I totally agree with you that D-LOG makes no sense for photos, and especially not for raw photos. And I really wished Mavic had independent profile settings for video and photography. It's really annoying that a profile chosen for video also is applied to your photos.

I haven't tried latest firmware and app versions yet. And I haven't tried using D-LOG on regular basis either. But I assume you will be able to adjust your "D-LOG raw photos" to a normal look without loss of image-data. The raw sensor data should still be untouched "beneath the profile" - so to say. If not, that's a serious mistake from DJI.
2017-4-15
Use props
鱼-Fishlogist
New
Flight distance : 560476 ft
China

I haven't seen D-LOG for DNG before,it just for DNG in my P3A....Maybe there is something wrong in the your version?
D-log is just a curve influence the appearance but doesn't influence the original/real data in DNG files.In fact,You can use DNG PROFILE EDITOR to recover the default profile.

Personally,I expect that the default set can make my DNG with D-LOG Profile because the NORMAL mode will increase the contrast of the midtone while decrease it in highlight as well as shadow,its hard to recover contrast from the contrast-less  area even if they are the RAW.For example,if you use a curve to make a range of color levels into the same,you wont recover this tones by any methods.
(sorry my english is poor)
2017-4-16
Use props
bitboy0 - mavic
lvl.2
Germany

StigNygaard Posted at 2017-4-15 11:55
I kind of agree with you, but...

Technically you cannot view the photo in a raw file without a profile assigned. Programs like Canon's own Digital Photo Professional and Adobe's Lightroom or Camera Raw has pre-build profiles for your camera's raw photos they assign when opening a raw file. That's why Adobe doesn't support raw files from for example a new Canon camera until Adobe has created at least one profile that fits the data in the raw files of the new camera.

But there is no D-LOG-Profile in that DNG ... So if you open that DNG with any RAW-converter, it is as flat as any video before you apply a LUT-file.

in fact this is an error, because the data in that dng is not the sensor data and also no matching profile is included.
2017-4-17
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

bitboy0 - mavic Posted at 2017-4-17 07:50
But there is no D-LOG-Profile in that DNG ... So if you open that DNG with any RAW-converter, it is as flat as any video before you apply a LUT-file.

in fact this is an error, because the data in that dng is not the sensor data and also no matching profile is included.

Could you post one of your dng files on dropbox? I can open it up here in camera raw and take a look. I don't think mine does this either, have older firmware.
2017-4-17
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Denmark

I did some testing with DNG and profiles. You are right, something goes wrong shooting when D-Log is selected. But it is not the profile that has been baked into the raw-file: http://forum.dji.com/thread-94609-1-1.html
2017-4-30
Use props
StigNygaard
lvl.4
Denmark

I did some testing with DNG and profiles. You are right, something goes wrong shooting when D-Log is selected. But it is not the profile that has been baked into the raw-file: http://forum.dji.com/thread-94609-1-1.html
2017-4-30
Use props
ChrisH_Photos
lvl.2
South Africa

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-4-14 10:33
Totally understand and we'll see what they say. I'll let you know possibly this evening if they get back to me by then.

HI Ken, did you ever get an answer to this?
If it can't be fixed I may need to swap to a Phantom 4 Pro, but the problem is, I wont know if it has a similar issue unless I buy and fly one.
2017-5-3
Use props
alessandrocarpe
lvl.1
Flight distance : 418635 ft
Turks and Caicos Islands

Just bumped into this problem too while I'm on the other side of the world for a big client project. We, I'm utterly shocked.
When imported in lightroom my DNG files look like crap (very contrasty, saturated, ecc). All that I've changed was to set D-Log for videos, and definitely didn't expect it to impact a file (DNG) that should be raw.
Feeling really frustrated about this.

P.S. using a Mavic Pro
2017-6-2
Use props
bgreenstone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 709495 ft
  • >>>
United States

Does anyone know if DJI ever fixed this issue?  Does shooting RAW photos with D-Log still result in underexposure?
2018-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules