Stability of DJI Go 4.0.6 (Android only)
8743 70 2017-4-14
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Tommyguns11
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5242769 ft
  • >>>
United States

Latest DJI Go 4 doesn't work on my S8+ at all!  I can't even execute the software without an incompatibility prompt!
2017-4-25
Use props
alirz5
lvl.4
Flight distance : 609833 ft
United States

Just tried the latest go app on my Nexus 6p running 7.1.2 Android.
Started off fine, I was recording video, it started freezing every couple of seconds and then eventually totally froze my phone.
I couldn't not even come of the app.pressing the power button to lock the phone didn't even do anything. Luckily I had my spare iPhone 6. So while the drive was 500m away from me hovering, I disconnected the Nexus 6p, plugged in the iPhone and it worked fine...
I hate this non sense. I doubt its an Android issue itself.i think the Android version  of the dji 4 go app is crap because my phone has never frozen on me like this ever before. As always DJI won't give a 5hit about this.
2017-4-25
Use props
digitalintruder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

It crashes enough times to make me think about getting an iPad device...
2017-4-25
Use props
BengalBoy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 11134446 ft
  • >>>
United States

Crashed on HTC ONE M7 running Android 5.0 about once every 3 batteries.  Crashed on HTC ONE M8 running Android 6.0 at least 3-4 times a battery.  Completely unstable and unsafe to use.  Crashed on my new Samsung Galaxy S8 about once every 3 batteries, but, on the 5th battery it crashed and auto landed my Mavic in the ocean.  I'm not sure whats going on with the DJI Go 4 app on Android?
2017-4-25
Use props
74260Z
lvl.2
United States

Am I the only one using the V20?  Using the GO 4 with 4.0.6  I think it crashed one time. have only about 6 flights but its been working OK. Haven't updated to the 4.0.7 yet.
2017-4-25
Use props
patman89
lvl.4
Flight distance : 288327 ft
Germany

I have read some of the latest reviews in the Google Play Store. DJI should take this problem serious. There are about 1,800 one-star ratings with the exact same problem.

Almost every review since the release of 4.0.6 has to do with app crashes. Even on devices which are declared as "supported"!
2017-4-26
Use props
fansa696bfb7
New

United States

Tommyguns11 Posted at 2017-4-25 10:38
Latest DJI Go 4 doesn't work on my S8+ at all!  I can't even execute the software without an incompatibility prompt!

I have an S8+ and just today after updating i got the same thing. It wont even let me into the app at all without giving me a non compatibility prompt. Really making me mad as i leave for Jamaica here in a few days.
2017-4-26
Use props
RAMJET-1
lvl.2
Flight distance : 2180843 ft
United States

fansa696bfb7 Posted at 2017-4-26 00:27
I have an S8+ and just today after updating i got the same thing. It wont even let me into the app at all without giving me a non compatibility prompt. Really making me mad as i leave for Jamaica here in a few days.

You can always try this....  Uninstall the latest GO-4 app. Go to www.appmirror.com and do a search for DJI GO. A complete list of ALL of the GO-3 and GO-4 apps will be there. I downgraded back to GO-4 ver. 4.0.4 on my phone using variant #1021523 which is for phones, variant #2021523 is for tablets. You should also downgrade the firmware  to .400 or .550 using your PC and DJI Assistant2 software. Install the app and you should be good to go. Make some test flights to make sure everything is stable of course. BTW, my phone is Android 4.4.4 and I use a Samsung Tab A6 with Android 5. The only issue that I have noticed is if you have "Cache Locally" turned on in the apps general settings and record video the downlink video to the phone may lag some but not bad at all. I usually have this turned off. Hope this will help you before you take your trip.
2017-4-26
Use props
patman89
lvl.4
Germany

Today I gave DJI Go 4.0.7 (Android) the last try!

It has disappointed me again. I have done everything I've read so far. Turned on Airplane Mode, turned off Video Cache, wiped everything from my phone (factory reset), etc. All I got was a message "Aircraft Disconnected" right after I started the motors. I had a stable video-link but the app didn't show any AC parameters like speed, distance, etc. Then after a few minutes the app restarted.

I have reverted everything to DJI Go 4.0.5 and everything is running well and smooth. No disconnects, no app-crashes, no reboots, no stuck video, no freeze frame, nothing... I have flown about 20 km (4 batteries) today and didn't had any issue. Pity that the latest DJI Go App don't run like this :-(
2017-5-2
Use props
JelloMaster
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7228 ft
United Kingdom

My first couple of flights were on my Nexus 5x running Android 7.1.2 and the latest version of GO4 and I had the app crash on both flights. I also suffered a weird message on the app about the aircraft being disconnected even though I remained in full control with the controller and the app was fully functional and receiving a video feed from the Mavic just fine the whole time.

To try something different, I had an old HTC One M7 knocking around which I did a full factory reset on. I then proceeded to delete every app and disable every app/process I could possibly do without breaking the OS. All account syncing was switched off. The latest OS this phone will go to is 5.0.2. Then I installed GO4 and logged into my account. I also switched off local video caching. I also made sure that it was on flight mode too.

Both my proceeding flights were totally seamless, I had no app crashes, I had no video lag.  I couldn't have had a better experience with the device if I tried.

DJI has a lot of devices on their supported list, but I bet they don't test them with Facebook, Instagram, Snapchat, gmail trying to sync, plus who knows how many other apps running in the back ground tying up processes and cpu.

The M7 isn't on the approved list of devices and isn't that highly spec'd, but running the bare minimum of processes behaved perfectly.

My wife has the Nexus 7 II which is on the approved device list, but is rammed with bloated apps idling in the background at all times so when I get my Mavic back from having it's gimbal issue sorted, I'll test it with that device too.

I'm sorely tempted to wipe my 5x too as an experiment and set it up the same as my M7, and then see if it behaves when it previously didn't however as my primary phone this is a last resort!!

I think there's much more to devices not working because "they're Android" and probably more to do with other applications tying up threads which cause the GO4 app to go off the rails and become unresponsive.   I know it's not ideal to have a dedicated device just for flying the Mavic as most people use their phones, but given most people upgrade every couple of years a lot of people still have their old phone knocking about and it's certainly worth a try.

More testing to follow!
2017-5-2
Use props
patman89
lvl.4
Germany

JelloMaster Posted at 2017-5-2 12:48
My first couple of flights were on my Nexus 5x running Android 7.1.2 and the latest version of GO4 and I had the app crash on both flights. I also suffered a weird message on the app about the aircraft being disconnected even though I remained in full control with the controller and the app was fully functional and receiving a video feed from the Mavic just fine the whole time.

To try something different, I had an old HTC One M7 knocking around which I did a full factory reset on. I then proceeded to delete every app and disable every app/process I could possibly do without breaking the OS. All account syncing was switched off. The latest OS this phone will go to is 5.0.2. Then I installed GO4 and logged into my account. I also switched off local video caching. I also made sure that it was on flight mode too.

I use my Android smartphone only for my mavic. So it doesn't have anything installed. Everything unneccessary has been wiped from the phone. I don't know what's wrong.

One odd thing is, that if I'm connected to my home WiFi everything seems to run well. Testet a 5 minute indoor flight (Mavic in Opti Mode) without problems. But as soon as I go outside (Mavic in GPS mode), the app behaves as mentioned above. Tried everything - video cache off, airplane mode, cellular connection active, wifi to my other phone active, etc. But none of the step have helped so far.
2017-5-2
Use props
JelloMaster
lvl.3
United Kingdom

patman89 Posted at 2017-5-2 13:01
I use my Android smartphone only for my mavic. So it doesn't have anything installed. Everything unneccessary has been wiped from the phone. I don't know what's wrong.

One odd thing is, that if I'm connected to my home WiFi everything seems to run well. Testet a 5 minute indoor flight (Mavic in Opti Mode) without problems. But as soon as I go outside (Mavic in GPS mode), the app behaves as mentioned above. Tried everything - video cache off, airplane mode, cellular connection active, wifi to my other phone active, etc. But none of the step have helped so far.

Weird that it works fine for you on 4.0.5.  Although you've uninstalled apps, have you been through and disabled the ones you can so they don't even run as a background task?
2017-5-2
Use props
JelloMaster
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Does anyone know if release notes are available for their software updates?  ie what came in 4.0.6 that wasn't there in 4.0.5.
2017-5-2
Use props
patman89
lvl.4
Germany

JelloMaster Posted at 2017-5-2 13:25
Weird that it works fine for you on 4.0.5.  Although you've uninstalled apps, have you been through and disabled the ones you can so they don't even run as a background task?

yep, everything is off and disabled...

Don't know what's wrong even DJI can't figure this out :-(
2017-5-2
Use props
bomberuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

running  on nvidia k1 shield no probs version android 6.01
2017-5-2
Use props
fansd5006ce1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 86010 ft
Cambodia

Firmware and app on the latest versions, flying with the Nvidia Shield and Android 6, no problems.
2017-5-3
Use props
patman89
lvl.4
Germany

It seems that the current DJI Go App has a problem with Android 5 and Android 7. Everyone using an Android 6 tablet/smartphone has no problems.
2017-5-3
Use props
SimonCo
New
Flight distance : 325394 ft
France

I have a Samsung Galaxy S6, I owned a Phantom 3 Standard and never had crashes with the previous app. Now it's crashing very often on DJI GO 4 with my Mavic Pro.
2017-5-3
Use props
patman89
lvl.4
Germany

Since 4.0.7 the crashes have reduced to almost none. But the app looses connection to the aircraft (message "Aircraft Disconnected") immediatly after launching the propellers. As long as I stay on the ground the App seems to work... Now I think this could have to do with my Mavic - which is currently unable to upgrade to the latest firmware. As long as this problem persists I have to stay on fw v01.03.0550
2017-5-3
Use props
AmFam-Lee
New
Flight distance : 37408 ft
United States

Samsung Galaxy S8 (7.0) and the app still crashes on version 4.0.7 for my Mavic Pro.
2017-5-4
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I got an update to my Android  v 7.0 software on May 1, 2017 and after installing it, my Mavic has flown without any issues.  I thought the software was 7.0.1, but when I look on settings>about phone it just says 7.0.  So I went to update phone and then learn more.  It gave a build of NRD90M.G930VVRU4BQC5.  So not sure what exactly happened, but all my troubles appear to be gone with GO4 app disconnecting.  Only got to fly 4 times down to past low battery and never had a problem.  Used 3 different intelligent flight modes and video and pics shooting in 4K.  
Samsung S7, Android v7.0 plus an update to that on May 1, 2017; DGI Go 4 app v 4.0.6 on firmware v 01.03.0600
2017-5-4
Use props
johnnyoneeye
lvl.2
Flight distance : 93907 ft
United States

Using S7 Edge and Sony Xperia Z3  tablet, both freeze and crash. Not good and definitely not safe or reliable to fly....  Not happy that I ordered it last Oct. and received it 2 weeks ago and can't fly it..
2017-5-5
Use props
Wideye
lvl.1
Flight distance : 132730 ft
Malaysia

I'm using Samsung Galaxy S7 with Android v7.0, DJI Go 4 v4.0.7 and got my firmware updated yesterday to v 01.03.06 from 055. Flew it once yesterday for the duration of 1 battery - no problems. I didn't experience any problems prior to upgrade when I was on v4.0.6 and FW 055 either.

2017-5-8
Use props
Nifty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 80138 ft
United States

I am using a Nexus 6p and it has gotten to the point where I expect an app freeze/failure on every flight now. I don't dare let the drone further out than a couple hundred feet due to the issues. it has gotten to the point now where I am just going to purchase an iPod touch to use just for the drone.
2017-5-12
Use props
patman89
lvl.4
Germany

Nifty Posted at 2017-5-12 07:13
I am using a Nexus 6p and it has gotten to the point where I expect an app freeze/failure on every flight now. I don't dare let the drone further out than a couple hundred feet due to the issues. it has gotten to the point now where I am just going to purchase an iPod touch to use just for the drone.

Yeah, I would buy one, too, but it doesn't have GPS :-( So it's not as useful as other devices. iPhone or iPad are way too expensive to use them only as display for my Mavic :-/

It's the hard reality:
you have to pay $1200 for your drone and another 600 bucks for a new smartphone which is compatible with DJI Go. This is completely inaccaptable at this price point. And meanwhile I am really annoyed about this. Thinking about selling my Mavic and buy a competitor device with builtin display... I hate writing this, but if the next update doesn't work as smooth as DJI GO v4.0.5 on my device I get rid of my Mavic and stop advertising DJI products to my friends...

This sounds a little bit childish, but after chatting and e-mailing with the support, I got the impression DJI doesn't care about these problems. The only answer I got: Your device is not compatible.

But why isn't it compatible? 1,5Ghz Octa-Core-Processor, 2GB RAM, 32GB memory with around 28GB free. Android 5. No other apps installed except DJI Go, no tasks running in the background. This device matches all requirements and is on par with most of the supported devices.
2017-5-12
Use props
Nifty
lvl.2
Flight distance : 80138 ft
United States

patman89 Posted at 2017-5-12 11:01
Yeah, I would buy one, too, but it doesn't have GPS :-( So it's not as useful as other devices. iPhone or iPad are way too expensive to use them only as display for my Mavic :-/

Good point. I didn't think of the potential downsides of using a device that doesn't have built in GPS. But I would have to agree with you in saying that it seems like DJI doesn't care about the Android side of the user base.

My phone is listed as a recommended device but even at that I still can't take video or stream as it is almost begging for the application to freeze. Just recently I was flying the drone while recording 1080@60fps which caused the app to crash (and totally ruined the video) but it also wouldn't reconnect to the drone until I completely power cycled the phone.
2017-5-12
Use props
Sisko
New
Italy

jeebs-9 Posted at 2017-4-14 12:26
I have an Galaxy S5 and it works perfectly. Haven't any trouble with crashes. My only problem was that I had to rip off the water resistance cover for the charging port. Not that I ever used it lol.

With my S5 samsung never had a problem. Just video laggy after I have update the latest firmware.

I think IOS works better!
2017-6-3
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

EXACTLY!!! I've saying this for 3 months now!!!!! Thank You!!
2017-6-6
Use props
DickDrippy
New
United States

I couldn't agree more.  I have an S8+ and my Mavic needs an act of God in order for it to work. When I did get it to work the damn thing disconnected in midair and couldn't control it. For some reason I got lucky and have no idea what I did, but gained control of it, landed it, put it back in my car and said enough. The good thing about this is that my buddies were there watching and WERE going to buy a Spark.... that changed their minds.  I used my Samsung S2 and that works better but still not without issues. This experience has really sucked the fun out of this and losing the desire to want to fly it anymore.

Problem with DJI is that they are stuck in syndrome of thinking their products are superior and don't need to address the problems urgently or even give their customers updates on what fixes they are working on.  I have read so many posts of some of the most asinine responses, like go buy IOS device or disable everything on your phone and pray that it works.  Just get you crap together DJI.
2017-7-5
Use props
patman89
lvl.4
Germany

DickDrippy Posted at 2017-7-5 12:35
I couldn't agree more.  I have an S8+ and my Mavic needs an act of God in order for it to work. When I did get it to work the damn thing disconnected in midair and couldn't control it. For some reason I got lucky and have no idea what I did, but gained control of it, landed it, put it back in my car and said enough. The good thing about this is that my buddies were there watching and WERE going to buy a Spark.... that changed their minds.  I used my Samsung S2 and that works better but still not without issues. This experience has really sucked the fun out of this and losing the desire to want to fly it anymore.

Problem with DJI is that they are stuck in syndrome of thinking their products are superior and don't need to address the problems urgently or even give their customers updates on what fixes they are working on.  I have read so many posts of some of the most asinine responses, like go buy IOS device or disable everything on your phone and pray that it works.  Just get you crap together DJI.

Totally Agree!

If you need to disable and uninstall everything on your device, you have a really expensive display only for flying your drone. Additional costs which are mentioned nowhere. Additionally the factor of compactness is lost in case you have to carry 2 Smartphones, one for your regular purposes and one for your Mavic which must be completely clean!

And if you read all the topics regarding stability you quickly see, that this doesn't only affect Android devices. Many iPhones facing the same issues: crash, freeze, reboot, disconnect, etc.

Really annoying thing. I managed to get the latest DJI GO Update (20. June 2017) to work on my XIAOMI Redmi Note 2. But I had to hard-reset the phone, disable every background task, only install DJI GO App and keep the phone away from any data-connection. Because if my phone once get a data connection (WiFi or cellular doesn't matter) the DJI GO App downloads something in the background, which kills it and make it completely unusable. You have to perform above mentioned steps, including a clean re-install of everything :-(
2017-7-6
Use props
Tex21
lvl.3
Flight distance : 230052 ft
Australia

Let's face it guys and gals, it's pretty obvious that the DJI app development team are a bunch of 13yr old chinese smart kids in a sweat shop somewhere in Xinjiang, China.  They're doing their best, give 'em a break.

BTW, my HTC One M7 worked fine up to and including 4.0.5.  It doesn't anymore...... now logic will tell you who's fault that is.
2017-7-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules