Need help picking my new drone
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Roll Tide
lvl.2
Flight distance : 610502 ft
United States

I just sold my year old P3S (for$350) and now must quickly buy another.  I am looking at the P3A @ $687, the P4 @ $899 and the Mavic Pro @ $999.  Here are some of my considerations:  I am 65 and need a large screen.  I usually flew my P3S with my tablet in one hand and the remote in the other.  Not a comfortable position.  I live in more or less empty (in many senses) Alabama and enjoy long flights.  I would really love it if I could earn some money with these one.  And I would like to remain open to emerging technologies in 3D FPV.  My P3S was absolutely fantastic.  1200M range.  Reliable.  Great photos and vids.  I miss it.  In fact, when I read of the Phantom 3 SE (only in China so far), I thought it sounded perfect.  But as I said, I am 65, hate waiting and need a drone here by Tuesday!
I truly appreciate the advice of the members of this forum.  
2017-4-15
Use props
FeariTself
lvl.3
Flight distance : 195151 ft

United States

I don't know much about the p3 controller but the p4 there shouldn't be any reason the controller can't hold your tablet in place. Being that it's cheaper than the mavic I would choose the p4 in your case if it was up to me. It's a huge step up from the P3A. If you want something small with a built in screen you could go with a mavic.
2017-4-15
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

You seem in a hurry! LOL Can't blame you but I guess you need to answer your own questions. By that I mean, are you limited on a budget? Makes a big difference. The P4 is a very nice machine, especially the new PRO. And yes you should be able to use whatever tablet you have. You might have to buy an extender, but you should have been able to do the same with your standard. Anyway I have a P3A and have had for 1 1/2 years and I love it. I did spend a few bucks on some extra batteries and Itelite antenna mod, and I get 3-miles no problem. I have considered upgrading, but honestly I don't see anything to spend the extra money for. Although the P4 and even the 3P professional shoot in 4K, I am very happy with my Advanced, and I normally shoot in 1080P anyway. Really, I am not using it for professional purposes, but my pics and videos are just as good as some of those I have seen in 4K and I don't need a super computer to edit the 4K. Just my opinions here. I would love to have a new phantom 4-5 ??? at some point, but waiting for whatever the next big breakthrough might be. Yes I do only get around 18-20 minutes of real flight time, and I know the P4 PRO boasts 27-30 minutes, but that is ideal,  but 18-20 has never been a problem for me, but I do have spare batteries. Anyway, happy shopping. What ever you pick I'm sure you will have a blast with.
2017-4-15
Use props
Roll Tide
lvl.2
United States

I appreciate the tips.  And yes, I am on a budget, which means that I can't collect drones, sadly.  I sell one to buy another.  Which raises an important question for me:  given prices of roughly 700 and 900 for the P3A and the P4, which could be expected to retain more of its value when I sell it in 8-9 months?  
2017-4-15
Use props
Daroga
First Officer
Flight distance : 3517287 ft
  • >>>
United States

Roll Tide Posted at 2017-4-15 07:46
I appreciate the tips.  And yes, I am on a budget, which means that I can't collect drones, sadly.  I sell one to buy another.  Which raises an important question for me:  given prices of roughly 700 and 900 for the P3A and the P4, which could be expected to retain more of its value when I sell it in 8-9 months?

DJI has reduced the price on their refurbished P4 to $799 at the DJI Store. But there's no way to get it by next Tuesday at that price from China.

Even with the release of the P4 Pro and Advanced, the P4 seems to have maintained it's price nicely. If you need one by next Tuesday, you probably need to jump into your vehicle and head to Best Buy or other local or near-local retailer, to see what's immediately available.

I, like others have stated, absolutely love the portability and simplicity of the Mavic Pro. I use an iPad Mini4 with the Mavic for exactly the reason you mention - I like the larger screen. Truth is, you can't go wrong with any of the three, but you'll enjoy the technology advances of the P4 or Mavic a lot!
2017-4-15
Use props
Michaelt89
lvl.3
Flight distance : 336880 ft
Israel

I'd got for the mavic, it's absolutely amazing , the only thing you need to consider is using your smartphone with it since it can't fit a tablet, if I'm correct.
2017-4-15
Use props
JMHFL
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1323645 ft
  • >>>
United States

I was able to use a 7" tablet with my Mavic.  I have a P4P and a Mavic.  I like them both but if I could only have one I would get the P4P.  The Mavic is definitely nice because of the size.  The Phantom is more stable in my opinion.
2017-4-15
Use props
CM17X
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1489554 ft
Colombia

Sorry for take this thread to ask my question, but since it's related on what to get I'll take the chance. Yesterday I was at the shop about to buy the P4P + Multifunction for USD $1918, but fortunately/ unfortunately the cashier weren't accepting payments with cards because the hardware was broke, since I didn't had that amount of money on cash, I didn't got it. My wife started to talk about how soon is the next Phantom coming, and makes me think that maybe would be a good deal a bit of waiting, but, does the Phantom 5 or kind of coming for sure? Any thoughts more than the rumors you can find out there in the internet? Thank you.
2017-4-15
Use props
ibuyufo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819098 ft
United States

If you're planning on making money with the drone then you need to get a commercial license.  I'm not sure how much that would cost.
2017-4-15
Use props
Roll Tide
lvl.2
United States

Yes, you are right.  I think there is an online course / test you can take.  And I will probably do this at some point.  But I will add that here in central Alabama, things are pretty laid back.
2017-4-15
Use props
fans6cc79898
lvl.1
Flight distance : 479895 ft
United States

I've had the 3, 4, 4pro plus and mavic...if I could only have 1 it would be the mavic..I live in Ga, and like you, go for long flights in the country. The mavic has so much better range than the 4 pro plus..the camera is a degree or 2 better in the pro plus, but the mavics aint bad.  I like you had the thought about making money with it, but that would be like trying to make money with a smartphone..pretty soon everyone will have one, plus the first time you go and have to fly because you have to, rather than want to, then the thrill is gone.
2017-4-15
Use props
fans6cc79898
lvl.1
Flight distance : 479895 ft
United States

I've had the 3, 4, 4pro plus and mavic...if I could only have 1 it would be the mavic..I live in Ga, and like you, go for long flights in the country. The mavic has so much better range than the 4 pro plus..the camera is a degree or 2 better in the pro plus, but the mavics aint bad.  I like you had the thought about making money with it, but that would be like trying to make money with a smartphone..pretty soon everyone will have one, plus the first time you go and have to fly because you have to, rather than want to, then the thrill is gone.
2017-4-15
Use props
Roll Tide
lvl.2
United States

fans6cc79898 Posted at 2017-4-15 12:33

Thanks for the feedback.  What device do you use with the Mavic?  I would have already chosen the Mavic over the P4 if I could use even an 8" screen.  Once you fly with a tablet (mine is a Samsung Tab S2), it is hard to think of flying with a small screen.  I have the iphone SE which is perfect to carry around but has a 4" screen.  Yes, I did manage to hold the remote and the tablet with the P3S, but that got old, and for these dollars, I want everything in one package I can hold and operate.  Any ideas?
As for money, you are right.  The only thing I would actually like to do with it to make money would be to give lessons.  
Except for a cremation dispersal business - which would require  the Inspire.
Thanks again.  
2017-4-15
Use props
FeariTself
lvl.3

United States

Roll Tide Posted at 2017-4-15 13:34
Thanks for the feedback.  What device do you use with the Mavic?  I would have already chosen the Mavic over the P4 if I could use even an 8" screen.  Once you fly with a tablet (mine is a Samsung Tab S2), it is hard to think of flying with a small screen.  I have the iphone SE which is perfect to carry around but has a 4" screen.  Yes, I did manage to hold the remote and the tablet with the P3S, but that got old, and for these dollars, I want everything in one package I can hold and operate.  Any ideas?
As for money, you are right.  The only thing I would actually like to do with it to make money would be to give lessons.  

One thing you might consider,  if you are already experienced and used to the phantom 3 then going to a phantom 4 will make flying even easier. Whereas, switching to a mavic pro will require some learning and getting used to. Not saying that's a bad thing just pointing it out.

The wind can get gusty at times where I live so I've stayed away from the mavic because I know my p4pro will handle the wind much better.
2017-4-15
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

Roll Tide Posted at 2017-4-15 07:46

I'm sure the P4 might be a better option, and considering it will probably have decent resale if you decide to upgrade. And not much ,more money. I myself have concerns with the Mavic, and by that I mean I wonder how over time those folding arms & such will hold up. I don't know, but I would prefer the phantom 4 because I think because of the body. Just my opinion. I think the Mavic would be cool, but just wonder about the moving parts. I could be totally off base here and I'm sure the Mavic owners will tell me I'm wrong.
2017-4-15
Use props
Michaelt89
lvl.3
Flight distance : 336880 ft
Israel

I think the mavic owns the P4 in every way, it's a very cool little drone, the P4P is another thing and have better image quality for sure, but it also cost much more.
2017-4-16
Use props
DrewW
lvl.3

United States

Michaelt89 Posted at 2017-4-16 01:20
I think the mavic owns the P4 in every way, it's a very cool little drone, the P4P is another thing and have better image quality for sure, but it also cost much more.

In every way? It certainly doesn't have a better camera. In fact if you don't know how to edit in post than the video produced  on the mavic is far worse than the p4. It owns it in portability, yes. In reliability, no.
2017-4-16
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
United States

Roll Tide Posted at 2017-4-15 13:34

Just so you know, and pretty sure you already do so please excuse me, but yes you can take online prep courses, but everyone has to take the written test the FAA gives, and it is $150.
2017-4-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules