Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Tablet in portrait position with Mavic
5628 12 2017-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Roll Tide
lvl.2
Flight distance : 610502 ft
United States

Is there any reason a tablet which was less than 6.3" wide could not fit into the remote in portrait rather than landscape position?  Yes, I know the Go app automatically goes to landscape ...  But still, any ideas?  
I really want a Mavic and I really want a large screen.  I have a Samsung Tab S2 9.7" which is 6.7" wide, so I guess it would not work even this way.  But the Samsung Tab 8" or the Ipad mini4 -- could they be used in portrait position with the remote?
2017-4-16
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Is there any reason a tablet which was less than 6.3" wide could not fit into the remote in portrait rather than landscape position?

I suppose it could fit, but then there's the fact that . . .

the Go app automatically goes to landscape

Yes, so I'm not sure why you'd want to use a tablet with a portrait orientation. You'd wind up with either having the controller or the display sideways.

But still, any ideas?

There are mounts available that will allow you to use a larger (e.g., iPad Air) display -- in landscape orientation -- if you're ok with it not being mounted directly on the remote. I googled "mavic pro tablet holder" and this is the first hit I got, though there are others.

But the Samsung Tab 8" or the Ipad mini4 -- could they be used in portrait position with the remote?

The iPad Mini 4 fits the controller -- just barely -- in landscape orientation and provides a decent-sized display.
2017-4-16
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Example of a tablet holder, but this is far from the only option.

http://www.mavmount.com/
2017-4-16
Use props
Roll Tide
lvl.2
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-16 16:29
Is there any reason a tablet which was less than 6.3" wide could not fit into the remote in portrait rather than landscape position?

I suppose it could fit, but then there's the fact that . . .

Well, about the portrait position.  My tablet's width is greater than my cell phones length.  Hence better for me to see -- IF I could keep the Go App from flipping orientation.  
In other word, my tablet screen is at least 51/2 inches wide, which is as large as most + sized smart phones.  
So, I guess my question is, is there a way to keep the app from flipping orientation?
2017-4-17
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Roll Tide Posted at 2017-4-17 11:09
Well, about the portrait position.  My tablet's width is greater than my cell phones length.  Hence better for me to see -- IF I could keep the Go App from flipping orientation.  
In other word, my tablet screen is at least 51/2 inches wide, which is as large as most + sized smart phones.  
So, I guess my question is, is there a way to keep the app from flipping orientation?

I don't believe there's currently any way to do that, but I suppose it's always possible that it might change in a future version of the app.
2017-4-17
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

am i missing something as the Ipad mini 4 does fit, even in the correct orientation,  so why would you want to do this in portrait mode?
2017-4-17
Use props
Roll Tide
lvl.2
United States

MikeQView Posted at 2017-4-17 15:57
am i missing something as the Ipad mini 4 does fit, even in the correct orientation,  so why would you want to do this in portrait mode?

I'm sorry.  I have a Samsung Tab S2 9.8" and am trying to avoid buying another tablet.  But regardless, soon I expect to be enjoying it.
2017-4-17
Use props
Roll Tide
lvl.2
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-17 11:27

I don't believe there's currently any way to do that, but I suppose it's always possible that it might change in a future version of the app.

I have found several apps on google play which are able to set orientation for this app or that.  But they say not all apps will function or function fully this way.  "Rotation Control" is one such app.  I haven't downloaded it yet but I will in a bit and see if the Go App runs or not.  I bet is that you are right.  It won't work if I set things to portrait.  I'll let everyone know.
2017-4-17
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Roll Tide Posted at 2017-4-17 17:02
I have found several apps on google play which are able to set orientation for this app or that.  But they say not all apps will function or function fully this way.  "Rotation Control" is one such app.  I haven't downloaded it yet but I will in a bit and see if the Go App runs or not.  I bet is that you are right.  It won't work if I set things to portrait.  I'll let everyone know.

Thanks, that would be good to know if it works. I haven't seen a lot of requests for this but you aren't the first person who has asked about it.
2017-4-17
Use props
Roll Tide
lvl.2
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-17 17:15
Thanks, that would be good to know if it works. I haven't seen a lot of requests for this but you aren't the first person who has asked about it.

I just downloaded the app (Rotation Control) and by goodness, the Go App loaded in portrait orientation on that great big screen.  Since I just sold my P3S and my Mavic has not arrived, I cannot connect to the aircraft.  But I will update you as soon as I can.
2017-4-17
Use props
SeaComms
lvl.3
Flight distance : 568222 ft
Australia

Anyone know of a way to do this on the iPad air 2?
2017-4-17
Use props
Mavic Maverick
New
Flight distance : 479826 ft
Australia

The Autopilot App functions in either portrait or landscape mode.
Kinda handy having it in portrait actually as it divides the screen in half, the top half showing the camera view and the bottom half showing the map view with your flightplan.
2017-5-3
Use props
Roll Tide
lvl.2
United States

Yes, I am enjoying flying my new Mavic with my 9.7" screen.  I also fly with an iphone 7Plus, but the tablet is just as easy to set up and MUCH larger.
2017-5-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules