P4 Video feed freezing
2626 23 2017-4-16
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Simon Child
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153852 ft
United Kingdom

Flying yesterday my video feed on my tablet (Nexus 7 2013) kept freezing up. I had to keep restarting the GO app.

I was flying my P4 only about 100m away from me, no metal or any other structure anywhere around (open moorland), good VLOS, but it just kept freezing up. I've used that tablet lots of times, have removed background apps like facebook, have wifi off, about 10Gb free space, correct orientation of RC aerials, etc.

This was my first outing with DJI GO 4, v 4.0.6 - is that anything to do with it?

I was about 0.8 mile (1.3km) to the NW of the appropriately named Windy Hill TV/Radio/Phone transmitter - could that have affected me at that distance?

Thanks for any thoughts.

2017-4-16
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Hi Simon, which build levels are the various firmware & software at ?

Have a look in 'About' at the bottom of the 'General Settings' menu for this info'.
2017-4-16
Use props
Simon Child
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Apologies for the delay

DJI GO 4 v4.06

RC 1.8.0

APP Database 00.00.01.04

and the P4 via DJI assistant is V01.02.0602 2016-11-08 Current

2017-4-17
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Simon Child Posted at 2017-4-17 08:00
Apologies for the delay

DJI GO 4 v4.06

There seems to have been a long running problem with the RC update from V1.6 to V1.8 primarily with Android displays. One work around seems to be to roll back the RC to V1.6. Only takes about 15 minutes to do so worth trying to see if it improves your situation:-

Connect display device (with good wifi connection) to RC and power both up (aircraft off).

Run DJI Go, on initial screen (where it displays aircraft type etc) at top right hand corner you will see a 'graduation hat' icon (or perhaps three lines if DJI Go 4). Hold your finger on that for about 5 seconds and release. You should now see a black screen appear with an option to roll back RC firmware. Make sure RC is well charged, takes about 5 minutes or so. Power down when complete. Restart all and check all working, you may need to relink RC to aircraft.

The update to V1.8 was only a fix for a couple of issues, neither of which would affect most users (My opinion).

RC V1.8 release note - Copy.png
2017-4-17
Use props
Simon Child
lvl.4
United Kingdom

I had a feeling that was what you were going to say when you asked for my versions : ) I have seen posts about that, and my video feed has never been solid, so I may try that.

But this time was different: the video (on my approved Nexus 7 mk2) simply froze and never recovered until I restarted the app. (Video quality on the SD card was ok, but spoiled by my having to recover the A/C instead of continuing filming).

Hence my wondering whether there was some new factor such as the new GO 4.0.6 or that transmitter mast 0.8 miles away.

2017-4-17
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Simon Child Posted at 2017-4-17 10:29
I had a feeling that was what you were going to say when you asked for my versions : ) I have seen posts about that, and my video feed has never been solid, so I may try that.

But this time was different: the video (on my approved Nexus 7 mk2) simply froze and never recovered until I restarted the app. (Video quality on the SD card was ok, but spoiled by my having to recover the A/C instead of continuing filming).

"Hence my wondering whether there was some new factor such as the new GO 4.0.6 "

That could well be, I have the Nexus 7 II as a backup, but have not used it for over a year now.
2017-4-17
Use props
Simon Child
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Well I've downgraded now : )

Weather forecast is good for tomorrow morning round here, so so let's see what happens...
2017-4-17
Use props
Simon Child
lvl.4
United Kingdom

No better

I noticed that the video feed works fine when shooting stills - it was when I was trying to film video that I kept losing the video feed. Maybe I'll try downgrading to 4.0.5

2017-4-18
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Simon Child Posted at 2017-4-18 08:46
No better

I noticed that the video feed works fine when shooting stills - it was when I was trying to film video that I kept losing the video feed. Maybe I'll try downgrading to 4.0.5

Looks like DJI Go 4.0.6 may be the problem, another thread with same or similar issue http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... D368%26typeid%3D368
2017-4-18
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Simon Child Posted at 2017-4-18 08:46
No better

Have you tried disabling video cache, that might be a work around at present ?
2017-4-18
Use props
adrian8891
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2643110 ft
  • >>>
Luxembourg

Maybe USB cable "gone bad"?
2017-4-18
Use props
Simon Child
lvl.4
United Kingdom

adrian8891 Posted at 2017-4-18 10:56
Maybe USB cable "gone bad"?

It only happened when I was shooting video. I used two batteries today shooting stills, with no problem.

Then (at another location) tried shooting video and kept losing views, sometimes after a couple of seconds, sometimes 15 seconds. I could only fly blind : ( At this same locaiton, I tried flying in camera mode instead of video - no problem - then switched back to video and lost it again.

Same USB cable throughout.
2017-4-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Simon Child Posted at 2017-4-18 12:16
It only happened when I was shooting video. I used two batteries today shooting stills, with no problem.

Then (at another location) tried shooting video and kept losing views, sometimes after a couple of seconds, sometimes 15 seconds. I could only fly blind : ( At this same locaiton, I tried flying in camera mode instead of video - no problem - then switched back to video and lost it again.

Just to clarify, have you tried using a custom channel and reducing the transmission quality to see if there are any changes? What resolutions are you filming at?
2017-4-18
Use props
Simon Child
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-18 15:33
Just to clarify, have you tried using a custom channel and reducing the transmission quality to see if there are any changes? What resolutions are you filming at?

Thanks for the interest.

I haven't tried that, never needed to previously. Note that it was working ok when I was not shooting video, it was only when shooting video that it failed.

I was shooting 4k video, but  what difference should that make as only 720p is transmitted to the RC, is that right? Note that yesterday 18th I was using RC firmware 1.6.0 so it wouldn't have been trying to transmit 2.7k video to the display, would it?  (as it might have been with 1.8.0 which I was using on 16th)

2017-4-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Simon Child Posted at 2017-4-19 09:04
Thanks for the interest.

I haven't tried that, never needed to previously. Note that it was working ok when I was not shooting video, it was only when shooting video that it failed.

Depending on the hardware, the device can get taxed when trying to decode UHD video recordings while running the Go app's 720 FPV output. For the sake of troubleshooting, could you try filming at a lower resolution to see if there is a difference?
2017-4-19
Use props
Simon Child
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-19 14:26
Depending on the hardware, the device can get taxed when trying to decode UHD video recordings while running the Go app's 720 FPV output. For the sake of troubleshooting, could you try filming at a lower resolution to see if there is a difference?

Hi Jamie, only just got back to this. Not had a chance to go out flying again yet, but have done some tests at home.

Firstly, I have upgraded the RC firmware back to 1.8.0 since it was happening just the same on 1.6.0

In the meantime GO 4 has upgraded itself to 4.0.7

I noticed in the GO 4 settings that some had changed themself from where I had them, presumably due to the App upgrades. Notably the video cache was set to 2Gb with auto-clear off, whereas I usually have it set to 10Gb with auto-clear on. Maybe it was simply choking on a full cache, due to these settings being like this?

You ask about custom radio channel. I don't see anywhere I can set that?

Anyway, recording 4K video from a stationary P4 in my house I didn't lose the feed or have it freeze at all despite getting a lot of intereference warnings (presumably due to wifi routers, including a dual band 2.4/5GHz wifi router).

It looks like a case of just seeing what happens next time I am flying. But to go back to the beginning of the thread, how close does a radio/TV/phone transmitter tower have to be to be a potential source of interference? Surely a mile or more away (which is where I was the second occasion) should be far enough?

Thanks
2017-4-28
Use props
Porkhunt
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1417 ft
Australia

"Aliens"!!
2017-4-29
Use props
Lyonheart
lvl.2
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-4-17 08:26
There seems to have been a long running problem with the RC update from V1.6 to V1.8 primarily with Android displays. One work around seems to be to roll back the RC to V1.6. Only takes about 15 minutes to do so worth trying to see if it improves your situation:-

Connect display device (with good wifi connection) to RC and power both up (aircraft off).

My IPad mini does the same thing so I did what you said but now it keeps telling me my controller need to update. Will that cause issues.
2017-4-29
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lyonheart Posted at 2017-4-29 07:07
My IPad mini does the same thing so I did what you said but now it keeps telling me my controller need to update. Will that cause issues.

If it's working better then you can ignore the update prompt until next RC build comes out. It shouldn't cause any problems, you could always do a few short test flights to be confident all is OK.
2017-4-29
Use props
Lyonheart
lvl.2
United States

I will. Thank you
2017-4-29
Use props
Lyonheart
lvl.2
United States

I will. Thank you. When I use my IPhone 6 the video never freezes unless I get out of range. What's the difference between the two?
2017-4-29
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Lyonheart Posted at 2017-4-29 07:50
I will. Thank you. When I use my IPhone 6 the video never freezes unless I get out of range. What's the difference between the two?

Which ipad mini are you using ? If it's earlier generation then the iPhone 6 will win in terms of processing power.
2017-4-30
Use props
Breslau 1976
lvl.1
Poland

Have this same issue   but resolving this  via DJI assistant....  first  restore  my P4 and upgrade to latest firmware, maybe this process  help you .
Try this way Simon Child. good luck.
2017-5-7
Use props
Lyonheart
lvl.2
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-4-30 03:09
Which ipad mini are you using ? If it's earlier generation then the iPhone 6 will win in terms of processing power.

I have an iPad mini 4
2017-5-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules