Help! DJI Phantom 4 gimbal is pointing to the right
2946 16 2017-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
XXTechMoXX
lvl.1
Flight distance : 403530 ft
United States

I bought a Phantom 4 Refurbished from "djiofficialstore" on Ebay. I have only taken it for about 10 flights when I realized my gimbal is facing the right by a few degrees. It is making it a little hard to fly because the camera is not looking 100% forward. I also tried cimbal calibration and compas calibration serveral times. Is this a problem with my drone or can it be adjusted? I have 1 year of DJI care. I will link a photo and video of the gimbal. I will also put the link where I bought it from HERE. Link for video . Link for picture HERE
2017-4-17
Use props
XXTechMoXX
lvl.1
United States

bump........
2017-4-17
Use props
XXTechMoXX
lvl.1
United States

I also calibrated the IMU several times.  
2017-4-17
Use props
calmax
lvl.3
United States

There were some postings about this issue.  The solution is to power off the p4, and twist the gimbal to opposite direction. It might take a few try to fix it.
2017-4-17
Use props
XXTechMoXX
lvl.1
United States

calmax Posted at 2017-4-17 08:08
There were some postings about this issue.  The solution is to power off the p4, and twist the gimbal to opposite direction. It might take a few try to fix it.

I have tried that too. It still did not work.
2017-4-17
Use props
XXTechMoXX
lvl.1
United States

Bump Bump   
2017-4-17
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2576972 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would open a support case with DJI.
2017-4-17
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

If I were you I wouldn't fool around with it. I would open a ticket and see if they will exchange it. If you were out of warranty it might be a different story, but why take the chance of doing something to it and paying for it later down the road if you were to have some more serious issues. That sucks for you because I'm sure that will take some time, and I'm thinking you are ready to get out and fly. Best of luck to you. Not sure how they will handle the whole "Ebay" thing. Curious to hear how you end up.
2017-4-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

If you've already tried an IMU calibration with a gimbal calibration in that order and the unit is up to date firmware-wise, then it would be best to look into an exchange. I would recommend getting in contact with support.us@dji.com or call +1 818-235-0789 to get that started.
2017-4-17
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

XXTechMoXX Posted at 2017-4-17 08:34
I have tried that too. It still did not work.

Hi. Try the additonal calibration step described at post #10 here:  http://forum.dji.com/thread-87837-1-1.html

Trying to fix this externally is slightly more than manually turning the gimbal to one side. If there's confusion with which way the craft needs to face when doing the gimbal calibration following the manual step (yeah, it's not the usual), it's clarified further in the post.
2017-4-17
Use props
XXTechMoXX
lvl.1
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-4-17 16:15
Hi. Try the additonal calibration step described at post #10 here:  http://forum.dji.com/thread-87837-1-1.html

Trying to fix this externally is slightly more than manually turning the gimbal to one side. If there's confusion with which way the craft needs to face when doing the gimbal calibration following the manual step (yeah, it's not the usual), it's clarified further in the post.

Thank you so much! That worked!
2017-4-23
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

XXTechMoXX Posted at 2017-4-23 09:57
Thank you so much! That worked!

Woohoo! Great to hear!
2017-4-23
Use props
Flytcam_Shaun
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-17 12:31
If you've already tried an IMU calibration with a gimbal calibration in that order and the unit is up to date firmware-wise, then it would be best to look into an exchange. I would recommend getting in contact with  or call +1 818-235-0789 to get that started.

Would you suggest this if the gimbal still tilts in the wind at high speeds tracking sideways?  My gimbal does this on a second aircraft that i just exchanged.  I have seen a little horizon tilt before on other DJI gear, but nowhere near as bad as what I am getting on two separate aircraft.
2017-4-23
Use props
Punchbuggy
Second Officer
  • >>>
Australia

Flytcam_Shaun Posted at 2017-4-23 23:17
Would you suggest this if the gimbal still tilts in the wind at high speeds tracking sideways?  My gimbal does this on a second aircraft that i just exchanged.  I have seen a little horizon tilt before on other DJI gear, but nowhere near as bad as what I am getting on two separate aircraft.

Sorry, but this procedure is to resolve the gimbal not sitting perfectly centre in its power-down state. I understand, typically caused by bumps in transit.
When the craft is powered on, it's motor and sensor driven from that point (with settings baselined via IMU and gimbal calibration). I'd suggest this is the operation you need to get perfect, from what you described (noting that most P4s have horizon tilt issues as at the current firmware).
2017-4-23
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Flytcam_Shaun Posted at 2017-4-23 23:17

Do you happen to have a video sample of this so I can get a better understanding of the extent of the issue?
2017-4-24
Use props
Flytcam_Shaun
lvl.2
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-24 13:49
Do you happen to have a video sample of this so I can get a better understanding of the extent of the issue?

I do have some video, however I am out of town away from this drone.  When I get back I will upload.  The first aircraft was worse it actually would start stuttering in high wind.  I returned that one and got this bird and it will roll to the opposite direction of travel.   When I get back from this week gig I am on I will upload a vid.  At least my trusty inspire is not doing this.
2017-4-24
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Flytcam_Shaun Posted at 2017-4-24 15:29
I do have some video, however I am out of town away from this drone.  When I get back I will upload.  The first aircraft was worse it actually would start stuttering in high wind.  I returned that one and got this bird and it will roll to the opposite direction of travel.   When I get back from this week gig I am on I will upload a vid.  At least my trusty inspire is not doing this.

Whenever you have the chance would be great.
2017-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules