Crashed Drone- what to do?
2406 6 2017-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pjhudson
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4820 ft
United States

Hi, I crashed my drone into a tree and the gimbal is bent out of shape-- plus it won't perform an IMU calibration.
It's still under warranty so I was wondering if I should even bother with trying to send it to DJI or should I just send it to a repair shop? Since the crash was fully user error, is there any hope for DJI fixing it or what is the usual cost? I think the gimbal needs replaced at a minimum.
Thanks
2017-4-17
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

Replacement gimbal parts can be obtained online (ebay) and for the stuck IMU, following this video will save you from sending the whole unit back to DJI for a costly centerboard replacement.
2017-4-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Just to clarify, did the aircraft appear to do something odd that resulted in a crash or was it just an unfortunate accident? Either way, you have the option to send it in. If it was an accident, you can look at the link below for general pricing:

https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/PriceQuery

Given your description of the issue, you may have some center board issues if it won't perform an IMU calibration along with the bent gimbal.
2017-4-17
Use props
pjhudson
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4820 ft
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-17 12:58
Just to clarify, did the aircraft appear to do something odd that resulted in a crash or was it just an unfortunate accident? Either way, you have the option to send it in. If it was an accident, you can look at the link below for general pricing:

https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/PriceQuery

No it was totally my fault-- I got over-confident and thought I could land it between some trees. It hit the ground pretty hard.
2017-4-17
Use props
Minnesota Q
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183018 ft
United States

My personal experience is DJI Care doesn't care!

If you want to wait a Month or Two for them to fix your done then so be it.

There is a group of Vets that fix DJI products for a reasonable price, just google them.
Or just replace your gimbal yourself, they offer new ones on DJI website.
2017-4-17
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

pjhudson Posted at 2017-4-17 15:18
No it was totally my fault-- I got over-confident and thought I could land it between some trees. It hit the ground pretty hard.

It happens to the best of us. You do have a few options depending on whether or not you want to perform the repair youself. Outside of the DJI Repair Center, you can see if a local dealer can repair it for you at a lower rate. You can refer to the link below:

http://www.dji.com/service/repair/centers
2017-4-18
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Minnesota Q Posted at 2017-4-17 15:47
My personal experience is DJI Care doesn't care!

If you want to wait a Month or Two for them to fix your done then so be it.

You have been responded to on your own thread regarding your case.
2017-4-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules