Does firmware .600 have a catastrophic issue?
123Next >
5960 85 2017-4-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

I learned my lesson long ago, when you buy a DJI quad there are usually a few software bugs they fix with firmware updates within a month or two, when the quads functions like it suppose too there's no need to upgrade further, nothing good will come from future updates. This is why I'm at .400 and staying here.
2017-4-18
Use props
johnnyoneeye
lvl.2
Flight distance : 93907 ft
United States

Obviously by all the video disconnects in the air as there was a problem with the new update I am also having the same problem with video Dropout and error messages using Android S7 Edge
2017-4-18
Use props
Danny-B-
lvl.4
Flight distance : 306640 ft
United Kingdom

Logger Posted at 2017-4-17 21:57
Totally happy on .600 firmware here.  In what way has it STUFFED many drones?

If you are on android simply disable the "Record Audio with Video Cache" option in DJIGo. Having it enabled causes video feed issues.

What makes you say that voice recording causes issues? It's the first time i've heard this but i'm interested to know why? - i'll gladly disable my voice recording setting if it means that i wont get any disconnects.

2017-4-18
Use props
Bintryin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 164406 ft
Australia

Logger Posted at 2017-4-17 21:57
Totally happy on .600 firmware here.  In what way has it STUFFED many drones?

If you are on android simply disable the "Record Audio with Video Cache" option in DJIGo. Having it enabled causes video feed issues.

Just read the other posts out there more bad than good!
2017-4-18
Use props
Pierre35
lvl.3
Flight distance : 117881 ft
Malaysia

PimpDawg Posted at 2017-4-18 12:18
Yes we found the drone. It was beat up pretty bad and the battery had been ejected. Surprisingly, it still flew and the camera worked but not the gimbal. It still needs to be repaired though.

It was doing exactly what it is supposed to do - RTH and was going the correct direction. OA just didn't see the YUGE building. Plus we don't understand why it disconnected. Mine has never done that.

Clearly the problem is not the latest firmware issue. If the drone RTH and there is a tall building in between, that would mean the operator direct line of sight had been block by the building. That would definitely cause the signal to drop. I would never fly in between tall building as I had seen many crash video cause by signal being block.
2017-4-18
Use props
bomberuk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16759 ft
United Kingdom

works fine for me no issues at all after fully testing,
2017-4-18
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Have you tried to downgrade the firmware to previous one and test again?
2017-4-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fansfb2d38d3 Posted at 2017-4-18 03:18
It took me 3 days to finally get it to work. Stalled and failed each time. 2 different phones, two laptops with the new software, 1 high end Desktop. High speed internet. Fail. My other Mavic worked straight away. Finally  very old sluggish destop was used. Success. Now have sensor issues.

Have you tried to do the VPS calibration via DJI Assistant?
2017-4-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

fansdcac56c4 Posted at 2017-4-18 03:19
I've had my first "issues" with the latest firmware, too. Using  iPhone 7. I was preparing to take off and suddenly lost the video signal. The drone was only few metes away still on the ground with motors not spinning when this happened. First I got a still image of what the camera saw last but then it was replaced with just a black screen. I turned the drone off and on again, it reconnected with the controller but the issues was still present with the black screen. Then I turned the drone off, controller off and restarted DJI GO app and started all over again and it worked normally. Flew for 20 mins without problems. Probably this could be an issues with the app as well as the Mavic firmware, though...?

Were you using the side usb port or bottom usb port to connect your mobile to the controller?
2017-4-19
Use props
MikeQView
lvl.4
United Kingdom

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-4-19 01:31
Were you using the side usb port or bottom usb port to connect your mobile to the controller?

Hi Mindy, is one port better than the other ? i have used both, but very curious.
2017-4-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Jacksode Posted at 2017-4-18 06:13
Had the same wierd disconnect and RTH issues here after the latest update. Once it lost it intially the app kept crashing and I was unable to cancel the RTH on the app. App would freeze, then multiple disconnects with the drone very close to me. Completely new issue for me as well. Using Android.

Could you please clarify what mobile device you are using?
2017-4-19
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1204754 ft
United States

Pierre35 Posted at 2017-4-18 23:19
Clearly the problem is not the latest firmware issue. If the drone RTH and there is a tall building in between, that would mean the operator direct line of sight had been block by the building. That would definitely cause the signal to drop. I would never fly in between tall building as I had seen many crash video cause by signal being block.

True statement. However, why would the forward facing sensors not see the building and prevent the collision? Isn't that what they are designed for and touted as capable of doing?
2017-4-19
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

PimpDawg Posted at 2017-4-18 12:18
Yes we found the drone. It was beat up pretty bad and the battery had been ejected. Surprisingly, it still flew and the camera worked but not the gimbal. It still needs to be repaired though.

It was doing exactly what it is supposed to do - RTH and was going the correct direction. OA just didn't see the YUGE building. Plus we don't understand why it disconnected. Mine has never done that.

You lost line of sight with the drone on the back side of a large office building bristling with wifi routers operating on your same frequencies.

Doesn't take much imagination to understand what happened here.
2017-4-19
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-4-19 07:33
You lost line of site with the drone on the back side of a large office building bristling with wifi routers operating on your same frequencies.

If you can get past that part, what we're talking about now is the fact that front facing sensors failed to detect the building and stop forward momentum on his drone. After all, they're marketed as preventing collision and detecting objects from 49 feet away. I'd think a building of that size might be detectable.

MAVIC PRO MARKETING --

No bumps and scrapes

An unprotected drone could hit obstacles during long distance flight or when descending from an inadequate height in Return to Home mode. The Mavic uses FlightAutonomy technology to sense obstacles up to 49ft (15m) away and allows the Mavic to bypass them or brake to hover, reducing accidents.
2017-4-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Xman1 Posted at 2017-4-19 07:33
You lost line of sight with the drone on the back side of a large office building bristling with wifi routers operating on your same frequencies.

There are no logs with this flight , simply because what pimp is saying is not true and what he is claiming is false, there are no pictures of the Mavic , there are a couple of other videos on you tube similar to this one completely fake.
Pimp is just a little sore because he crashed his Mavic into a twig and OA didn't work, but it's not supposed to work in such situations.
Until I see proper logs for this flight then all can be said about it is FAKE...
2017-4-19
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

PimpDawg Posted at 2017-4-19 07:39
If you can get past that part, what we're talking about now is the fact that front facing sensors failed to detect the building and stop forward momentum on his drone. After all, they're marketed as preventing collision and detecting objects from 49 feet away. I'd think a building of that size might be detectable.

MAVIC PRO MARKETING --

Note that I am guessing the sensors can't see windows and that is probably your problem.  Concrete yes, but in your vid, it is going right at the building with a lot of windows.
2017-4-19
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

Also had a ton of problems after updating to .550 and .600. I have reverted back to .400 and everything is working perfectly. I will be staying on .400 until DJI comes out with a patch thats notes say more than the purposely vague "we fixed some issue durrrr"
2017-4-19
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

Zero problems updating or flying with .0600.
2017-4-19
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-19 08:32
Zero problems updating or flying with .0600.

Same.  0 problems.  Had some disconnect issues with .550 but nothing on .600
2017-4-19
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-19 07:57
There are no logs with this flight , simply because what pimp is saying is not true and what he is claiming is false, there are no pictures of the Mavic , there are a couple of other videos on you tube similar to this one completely fake.
Pimp is just a little sore because he crashed his Mavic into a twig and OA didn't work, but it's not supposed to work in such situations.
Until I see proper logs for this flight then all can be said about it is FAKE...

You're a real peach. As I said, this was not my drone, not my crash, not my logs to upload, and I have nothing to prove to you. I fly mine in that same area and did not have the issues my friend experienced resulting in loss of signal and crash into a building.

I'm not sure what your problem is, but try breaking your next Prozac in half.
2017-4-19
Use props
Dmitry495
lvl.3
Flight distance : 791194 ft
Russia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-18 14:07
Clearly the old don't crash their Mavics as often as the young, the video proves diddly squat, just another bit of fake news,
It's funny how it was on RTH you said the 600 ft building was in its track was he stupid enough to set RTH at lower than 600 ft, remember RTH ascends or descends when it's initiated, your friends Mavic just turned around and flew straight at the building.

Hallmark, Not that it is important for this particular case, but when RTH initiated drone only ascends or proceeds at the same altitude (if it's higher than RTH one). I'm totally agree on the rest - this crush case is badly messed up or a fake
2017-4-19
Use props
Dmitry495
lvl.3
Russia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-4-19 01:31

Mindy, This is a very interesting question! What is the difference between these two ports? Thanks
2017-4-19
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
United States

Dmitry495 Posted at 2017-4-19 08:44
Hallmark, Not that it is important for this particular case, but when RTH initiated drone only ascends or proceeds at the same altitude (if it's higher than RTH one). I'm totally agree on the rest - this crush case is badly messed up or a fake

Why on earth would I fabricate a story of someone else crashing their drone? Bizarre.

The video file recording at the time of his crash would not work until he used this site to write the EOF -

http://djifix.live555.com/

We theorize that since the battery was ejected upon impact that it didn't finish writing the file from cache so it didn't include impact or the End Of File and needed to be repaired.
2017-4-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dmitry495 Posted at 2017-4-19 08:44

There are a couple of occasions although not in this case where RTH will descend like when your within 5 meters of the home point is one.
2017-4-19
Use props
Dmitry495
lvl.3
Russia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-19 09:00
There are a couple of occasions although not in this case where RTH will descend like when your within 5 meters of the home point is one.

Better to say "land" in this situation )) Descend, in my opinion, when you lower altitude, but continue to fly horizontally
2017-4-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Dmitry495 Posted at 2017-4-19 09:01
Better to say "land" in this situation )) Descend, in my opinion, when you lower altitude, but continue to fly horizontally

I'm almost certain it says in the manual descends and lands, which might make both of us right, sometimes I get mixed up with the language, my first language is not English but Gaelic Irish .
2017-4-19
Use props
Dmitry495
lvl.3
Russia

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-19 09:07
I'm almost certain it says in the manual descends and lands, which might make both of us right, sometimes I get mixed up with the language, my first language is not English but Gaelic Irish .

I don't remember the exact wording of the manual either... We both know what it does regardless of how it is called )) No reason to argue... If fact, my first language is Russian ))
2017-4-19
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

I agree with the earlier post that even though you can see a tall building with glass walls/windows does not mean that OA can detect it.....the pilot broke several cardinal rules as well as FAA regulations by flying beyond LOS, above highly populated areas, above people, likely above the legal 400ft altitude limit. And then when it crashes is upset with DJI.

Just because someone else has flown in that same area in the past without an issue doesn't mean that it is safe or legal to fly there. It makes perfect sense to see loss of video feed as well as RC connection when flying in a cityscape with an enormous amount of signal interference generating electronics, magnetic interference as well as fixed obstacles to block LOS and connection.

Personally, if I had crashed my Mavic pro from an altitude of 600ft and it only sustained superficial damage and was still able to fly, I would be  extremely happy and would be praising the DJI product instead of bashing it for crashing when flying in unapproved/unauthorized conditions.
2017-4-19
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
United States

Heavysledz Posted at 2017-4-19 09:25
I agree with the earlier post that even though you can see a tall building with glass walls/windows does not mean that OA can detect it.....the pilot broke several cardinal rules as well as FAA regulations by flying beyond LOS, above highly populated areas, above people, likely above the legal 400ft altitude limit. And then when it crashes is upset with DJI.

Just because someone else has flown in that same area in the past without an issue doesn't mean that it is safe or legal to fly there. It makes perfect sense to see loss of video feed as well as RC connection when flying in a cityscape with an enormous amount of signal interference generating electronics, magnetic interference as well as fixed obstacles to block LOS and connection.

Lots of assumptions happening here.

1) he is not "upset with DJI" nor blaming them
2) he did not lose VLOS. Where he was positioned he could see the drone when it disconnected. How else do you think he knew where it went down and was able to retrieve it?
3) This is not NYC. Downtown at dusk is not populated. There were no people below.
4) he was not flying his drone above 400 feet (the building is 600 feet tall and as you can see in the video it was nowhere near the top)
5) it is not illegal or restricted airspace to fly where he was flying
6) the conditions were not "unapproved/unauthorized" whatever that means

It sustained a lot of damage. Broken gimble, broken arm, battery ejected and deformed, Mavic body coming apart. Amazingly, it still flew but not very stable.

Obstacle avoidance can see the sun and water, but can't see a building because it has windows? LOL!
2017-4-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

PimpDawg Posted at 2017-4-19 09:38

1/ it's not a restricted area ( so where is it)
2/ it was at dusk, ( you know OA doesn't work in low light) Dusk, partial darkness between day and night
3/ he doesn't need to blame dji ( your doing that for him )
4/ the sun is the brightest thing on earth, go figure..
2017-4-19
Use props
PimpDawg
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-19 09:56
1/ it's not a restricted area ( so where is it)
2/ it was at dusk, ( you know OA doesn't work in low light) Dusk, partial darkness between day and night
3/ he doesn't need to blame dji ( your doing that for him )

This thread topic is about disconnects. I posted his story as it pertains to the thread. There wasn't anything in the way between Mavic and controller to account for why it disconnected.

The only thing you contribute to this forum is denigrating people, lamenting them, calling people liars, and talking down at them as though you are a perfect, divine human being and everyone else is not. Get over yourself.

2017-4-19
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

I will simply reply to your comments and then let this one go as to not further beat an already "dead horse":

1) he is not "upset with DJI" nor blaming them - It sure sounds like he or possibly you are blaming DJI indirectly by saying the software and/or hardware sucks.
2) he did not lose VLOS. Where he was positioned he could see the drone when it disconnected. How else do you think he knew where it went down and was able to retrieve it? - It was stated earlier that it was on a direct path back to the RTH position, I assumed the pilot was still standing in the same general location as when he took off and the RTH fix was made. If this was the case it would be safe to assume that if it was flying directly at the building that the pilot could not see the drone (thru the building directly in it's path). If my assumption is incorrect, and the pilot was in a different location, then I stand corrected.
3) downtown at dusk is not populated. There were no people below. - again, another assumption as most cities have people on the streets at this time of day....very odd that this is not the case in this particular city.
4) he was not flying his drone above 400 feet (the building is 600 feet tall and as you can see in the video it was nowhere near the top) - by default, if you are flying in a location such as a city that has tall buildings, you should assume that the pilot would set his RTH altitude higher than the tallest building. This would then put you above the legal altitude of 400ft. Yes, the rule is 400ft above the ground or structure, but when a RTH is executed, it goes to the RTH altitude first then flies back to the RTH location. This would put the drone at an illegal altitude for a large majority of the flight back to the RTH position. Again, one would assume the pilot did not have an appropriate RTH altitude set for the flight conditions based on the video since it did not attempt to climb to an altitude higher than the building which would have prevented it from crashing into the building in the first place.
5) it is not illegal or restricted airspace to fly where he was flying - by default, flying in a city, you are likely to break some FAA regulations: flying over 400ft (even if it is during a RTH command), flying above groups of people (common on most city streets), flying beyond LOS (assuming at some point the flight would take the mavic out of physical line of site  due to a building blocking the pilots view etc.....

Obstacle avoidance can see the sun and water, but can't see a building because it has windows? LOL! - Does OA see the sun every time it looks directly into it....no. Does the OA see the water every time you fly over it.....absolutely not. That is why the manual specifically mentions taking extreme caution when flying over water and is suggested to turn off the VPS when flying over water due to the high likelihood of erratic behavior. Also, you stated he was flying at dusk. The manual clearly states that the OA and VPS will not work properly in low light or extreme light conditions.....I think dusk would fall into the low light category.
2017-4-19
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

PimpDawg Posted at 2017-4-19 10:06
This thread topic is about disconnects. I posted his story as it pertains to the thread. There wasn't anything in the way between Mavic and controller to account for why it disconnected.

The only thing you contribute to this forum is denigrating people, lamenting them, calling people liars, and talking down at them as though you are a perfect, divine human being and everyone else is not. Get over yourself.

You brought in the issue of OA not me, your problem is when the obvious is pointed out to you , you haven't got the answers and choose to get personal,
People in glass houses and all that.
2017-4-19
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

PimpDawg Posted at 2017-4-19 06:41
True statement. However, why would the forward facing sensors not see the building and prevent the collision? Isn't that what they are designed for and touted as capable of doing?

Wouldn't have mattered either way. If it hit the building or stopped before it hit the building. The rth height was set lower than the building itself. And he put the ac between the building and rc.
2017-4-19
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535 ft
Australia

Also multiple disconnects and RTH triggers with this update .. tested on Android and IOS .. i'll be rolling back for now.
2017-4-19
Use props
z4k4tt4ck
lvl.3
Flight distance : 535 ft
Australia

Yea Lots of laughs bro ........ Things have limitations L O L ! ! !

Broken gimble broken and deformed, Mavic body coming apart and it's flown again ? hahaha WOW

Obviously this incident can be put down to genetic error ... please don't breed.

Did you see that picture of the toothpaste tube squeezed onto a toothbrush portrayed sexually ?? IT'S SO LOL BRA ............
2017-4-19
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

Downgrading my new Mavic tonight.
2017-4-19
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

MikeQView Posted at 2017-4-19 02:45
Hi Mindy, is one port better than the other ? i have used both, but very curious.

Both are fine. Just use different cable.
2017-4-20
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

Danny-B- Posted at 2017-4-18 16:39
What makes you say that voice recording causes issues? It's the first time i've heard this but i'm interested to know why? - i'll gladly disable my voice recording setting if it means that i wont get any disconnects.

It is a brand new feature on Android OS. New as of firmware .600 and Go 4.07. As soon as I flew with this combo  and Audio recording active, the video stream to my phone became jerky. Disabled Audio recording and  the issue went away. Video stream became smooth again.  Others have reported the same.  Note - this is with Android. IOS has had the feature for the last couple of Go build s and it apparently works fine.
2017-4-20
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

Bintryin Posted at 2017-4-18 19:35
Just read the other posts out there more bad than good!

Did 50kms of flight with .600 in the past 24 hours. Up to 11km in length and ~4km away. No major issues apart from on two occasions less than graceful FPV video stream loss when signal became weak. Both occasions recovered fine though after a short climb.

Pretty good fun the "fixed wing" mode. The gimbal pitch just needs to be dropped about 10 degrees to give a better field of useful view.  And someone needs to reverse the elevator cables into correct sense.
2017-4-20
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules