New Firmware (v3.12) Has Been Updated
28285 336 2015-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Well,
I am not disappointed by it at all and I do not live anywhere near that area. I do live near an international airport elsewhere and if they should impose this at this airport I will have no issues as I do not want to be sitting in the seat of the plane thinking that some absolute retard might be trying to screw around and see what he or she can do just for shits and giggles.
2015-3-4
Use props
victortch
lvl.2

United States

I am not affected by it, but I could have a ride to DC and there are a few thing that could have being of interest for drone video, but now, basically, all DC is no fly zone self imposed by DJI on its customers. I am not sure folks who lives in DC suburbs would be happy to find out they have to take a ride far away so they could fly their DJI drones . There is nothing wrong with reasonable limits and they are already present in the older firmware, but this looks more like a freaking out over small incident. There is hardly anything important in the update though from safety or feature wise. Perhaps releasing "Follow Me" feature will provide an incentive for folks to update fw in the future, hopefully soon..
2015-3-4
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

victortch@gmail Posted at 2015-3-5 11:50
I am not affected by it, but I could have a ride to DC and there are a few thing that could have bei ...

It is not DJI that is imposing this...do some research and read the whole story....It is much bigger than that!
Frankly, it only took a few idiots to ruin it for the masses and proves that it only takes an idiot to ruin it...hence the restrictions.
2015-3-4
Use props
MAD In NC
lvl.2

United States

MAD In NC Posted at 2015-3-5 10:17
OK  I'll insure S1 is top or/ GPS,  S2 in CL(Mid)  or HL (Low) as I have IOC activated and hope to ...

well,  to no avail.   tried multiple combos w good GPS.   Naza won't appear on the DJI app.

where in what documentation out there can i restart from?  does anybody know?
2015-3-4
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

MAD,
may i suggest the following:
and presuming your iPhone is up to date..if not, make sure it is....
Go back to your PC or Mac,
Delete your 3.6 or 3.8 Phantom 2 Vision+ Assistant Softwares...completely and DJI Win Installer and the DJI Vision app on your iPhone!,
Go back to the support page for DJI:
http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2-vision-plus/download
Download the appropriate software version/s and start over...for both Phantom Phantom 2 Vision+ Assistant Software v3.8 and DJI WIN Driver Installer
and re install all...from scratch....
Then re install the DJI Vision app from iTunes....

Then....let us know how it goes.....
2015-3-4
Use props
victortch
lvl.2

United States

MAD In NC Posted at 2015-3-5 12:00
well,  to no avail.   tried multiple combos w good GPS.   Naza won't appear on the DJI app.

where ...

Just updated to 3.12 and it says "NAZA Mode" in the right top tab. When not connected to Phantom - it says "N/A".

Although, it took some effort to get FW updated to 3.12 in the assistant. "Upgrade All" would just say: "All status OK, No need to upgrade!". I even re-downloaded and re-installed software. Have to click on the update hyperlink (on the right of the "green" check mark) to make it update MainController FW to 3.12.
2015-3-4
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

I flew mine and it was just fine.  It passed all the basic functions, RTH, CL, HL and modes.  I was flying on my P2Z3 with Lightbridge so I was not able to check out the Phantom App.
2015-3-4
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Tahoe_Ed Posted at 2015-3-5 13:27
I flew mine and it was just fine.  It passed all the basic functions, RTH, CL, HL and modes.  I was  ...

Tahoe_Ed....I WANT THE P2Z3 TOO!.

Did you mean P2V3?
2015-3-4
Use props
Tahoe_Ed
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2605 ft
  • >>>
United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-3-5 13:40
Tahoe_Ed....I WANT THE P2Z3 TOO!.

Did you mean P2V3?

No that is a P2 with an H3-3D.  Zen3 not P3.  Good try though.
2015-3-4
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Good one...I still want one though, maybe the H4-3D which is optimized for the Hero 4 Black...But yeah, you got me....
2015-3-4
Use props
neil
lvl.1
Flight distance : 110899 ft
Australia

Fly-away after upgrade to 3.12.
I was just thinking how well my P2V+ has been lately. I was running 3.08 and waited until I heard good reports with 3.12. So last night I upgraded and also went through all the calibrations again to be sure. This was using the Vision Assistant. I didn't do the controller (maybe I should have).
I also got out a new set of 9450 blades as apposed to the older ones I was using.
Then today I took it out. Switched on and did the compass dance - all perfect. 7 satellites by the time the dance was done. Ok - start engines.
Whilst it idles I check the battery (76%), Controller and wifi extender both over 90%. Start up FPV Booster and boosts FPV. Switch to FPV Camera. All OK. Let's take off.
Slowly raise the throttle. Voom she takes off at full throttle at 45 degrees. Nothing I can do will stop it. Hits a tree about 30m away and crashes to earth. Lucky no real damage.
I check it over. Have another go. This time I re-do the compass dance. All good. Kill the FPV app and use the DJI Vision app instead. Away she goes again but I am ready and grab it about 5 ft oof the ground. Ouch props hurt.
What can be wrong? Can I down grade back to 3.08?
2015-3-5
Use props
mike
Captain
Flight distance : 228255 ft
  • >>>
United States

Neil, no, you cannot downgrade to firmware 3.08. You should recalibrate your remote controller like this:

2015-3-5
Use props
bjr981s
Second Officer
Flight distance : 139698 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Interesting that others are seeing additional satellites indoors with 3.12. I was getting 7 sats indoors with 3.10 was getting 3 with 3.8 and now getting 9 with 3.12. I suspect other enhancements were done with 3.12 over and above what has been listed.

Also as an FYI i think the version of GPS firmware relate to the model being either V2 or V3.

Cheers

2015-3-5
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

mike@singerscre Posted at 2015-3-5 18:53
Neil, no, you cannot downgrade to firmware 3.08. You should recalibrate your remote controller like  ...

what good is it to use the RC app to calibrate and right behind that use the Phantom Assistant app to do the same thing.  my understanding was that they both 'did' the same thing so im not following the need to do the two separate steps sequentially like that.
2015-3-5
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

mike@singerscre Posted at 2015-3-5 18:53
Neil, no, you cannot downgrade to firmware 3.08. You should recalibrate your remote controller like  ...

I did not calibrate anything, but the compass. Although the bird never insisted on it. When I use RC assistant software I could see all switches and joysticks operate correctly -1000 - 0 - +1000. You would need to calibrate if you notice any discrepancy in neutral position, the bird would let you know it as well as it senses continuous non-zero reading from the remote. I do not have by bird for long to comment on how remote retains its calibration over time.
The only reason I have upgraded to v.3.12 - I could return everything back if something goes really wrong. Better find it sooner than later.
2015-3-5
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

bjr981s Posted at 2015-3-5 20:13
Interesting that others are seeing additional satellites indoors with 3.12. I was getting 7 sats ind ...

Not sure how this update could affect GPS module. Those modules are autonomous interfaced via serial interface (need only 4 wires +,-,tx,rx - exactly what our bird is using). Those modules only output about a dozen of text sentences separated with <CRLF> terminator indicating its status. Sometimes they also could receive some commands for example to start/stop/get  logging and etc. But who knows what the one in the drone does and it is pretty large. GPS is also not a consant as at any given moment there are different number of satellites available and their positions. It is possible the sky was crowded at the time you checked it with 3.12/3.10 and not so crowded with 3.08.
2015-3-5
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

neil@barker.com Posted at 2015-3-5 17:13
I was just thinking how well my P2V+ has been lately. I was running  ...

Dare you put your old props back on and try it?
Maybe tether it to a 10' rope and put prop guards on it.
2015-3-5
Use props
Friffy1
lvl.2

United States

victortch@gmail Posted at 2015-3-5 11:34
AFAIK, there is no such regulation restricting hobby UAV. The rule is for MAV, DJI seems over react ...

Not much of an overreaction.  The area surrounding the White House has ALWAYS been a no-fly zone.  It's just that DJI hadn't told the Phantoms that until now.  So it's not like this is anything new.  You shouldn't fly in no-fly zones regardless of if you're capable of doing it or not.

Here's some history.
2015-3-5
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

Friffy1 Posted at 2015-3-6 00:23
Not much of an overreaction.  The area surrounding the White House has ALWAYS been a no-fly zone.  ...

So following your logic drones should be restricted everywhere, because there is restriction on flying aircrafts below 400 feet in residential and public access parks and areas. Those restrictions are for real aircrafts, not for hobby UAV. Next we would blame guns for shooting people, not the operators. Have you been near WH?  It sits on about acre of land, LOL.
2015-3-5
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

Naza-PA Posted at 2015-3-6 00:38
So following your logic drones should be restricted everywhere, because there is restriction on fly ...

so following your logic, we should let guns on planes, becasue after all, people kill people not guns.  but we dont.  and we shouldnt.  bottom line is that there are reasons for no fly zones, GOOD REASONS, that protect people from harm.  while they are not 100% effective, that doesnt make them useless.  
2015-3-5
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-3-6 00:58
so following your logic, we should let guns on planes, becasue after all, people kill people not gu ...

Nope, it is according to your logic and creative imagination. LOL I did not argue against any regulation, but UAV are not part of the regulation you are citing here. Sorry, but it is not and this is a fact. All it will lead to - at some point some greedy lawyer (an abundunce in DC area) would decide to sue DJI and DJI will loose. And the incidents were clear provocations. No one with half brain would fly drone to WH. It does not take much to create those provocations to stir histeria and push with this freedom encroaching agenda.
2015-3-5
Use props
mikeatlincoln
lvl.2

United States

Not sure what I did wrong here but unable to update to latest firmware. Deleted old Assistant software and loaded ver 3.8. Update screen shows current ver of 3.08 and latest ver 3.12. Click on update firmware and get Status ok, no need to upgrade.Screen shot
2015-3-5
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

mikeatlincoln Posted at 2015-3-6 01:01
Not sure what I did wrong here but unable to update to latest firmware. Deleted old Assistant softwa ...

You need to click on the text "Latest version v.3.12" - it will find and load the update.
2015-3-5
Use props
mikeatlincoln
lvl.2

United States

Ok, that did it! Thanks for the help...
2015-3-5
Use props
Friffy1
lvl.2

United States

Naza-PA Posted at 2015-3-6 00:38
So following your logic drones should be restricted everywhere, because there is restriction on fly ...

There are always extremists trolling.  You just can't reason with them.

Naza-PA, I hope you enjoy your DJI product.
2015-3-5
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

Friffy1 Posted at 2015-3-6 01:25
There are always extremists trolling.  You just can't reason with them.

Naza-PA, I hope you enjoy ...

I do enjoy my DJI product. Thank you.  I wish weather would allow me to use it more
2015-3-5
Use props
MAD In NC
lvl.2

United States

victortch@gmail Posted at 2015-3-5 12:38
Just updated to 3.12 and it says "NAZA Mode" in the right top tab. When not connected to Phantom -  ...

yep,,  per recommendation I purged the PC of all DJI software, cleaned root directory, re downloaded 1.) Win Driver, 2.) Phantom asst 3.8, 3.)  RC 1.2

Driver first, connected to MC, loaded asst 3.8,  then at upgrade tab hit each item (3.12, main controller board etc.) independently with two - three power cycles,   then loaded iOS 1.0.48 on iPhone w 8.1.3 and walaaaah  everything checked out and I have naza mode in Vision App meaning the 3.12 w new vision app took....   Yesterday was 74f, today rain and 43f with snow coming tonight.  no flying till sat?

thanks Victor and northof49....

2015-3-5
Use props
rdsb
lvl.4
Flight distance : 236230 ft
France

On another forum, some members say we have to recalibrate the Imu after this upgrage. Is this necessary (no one mentions this here)
... I upgraded my pV2+
I also checked the firmware of my batteries.
2015-3-5
Use props
Gerry1124
Second Officer

United States

rdsb Posted at 2015-3-6 01:47
On another forum, some members say we have to recalibrate the Imu after this upgrage. Is this necess ...

If your IMU mod numbers are within range, you won't need to recalibrate.  You can find the ranges by putting your curser on the question mark above the mod numbers.  I would suggest after any update that you do recalibrate the sticks and the gimbal.
2015-3-5
Use props
mdprejean
lvl.2

United States

my firmware doesn't show 3.12 as the latest. It says that 3.08 is the latest. any suggestions?
2015-3-5
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

Naza-PA Posted at 2015-3-6 01:01
Nope, it is according to your logic and creative imagination. LOL I did not argue against any regul ...

um, the regulations do apply to UAV not just MAV, that has been pretty clear in the thousand times we've discussed it on this board.  

as far as whether you are arguing against regulation, this comment was what i was getting at:

"Next we would blame guns for shooting people, not the operators. "

in the context of this thread and friffy's post that you quoted, you are making an argument about whether a no fly zone shoudl apply to the phantom or not.  so my point was that it doesnt matter if operators are to blame not the phantom when determining whether there should be a no fly zone anywhere in DC for drones.  just like it doesnt matter whether guns or operators kill people when deciding if there is a no gun zone on aircraft.   it is a perfectly appropriate parallel.  nice backpedaling though.

2015-3-5
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

mdprejean@gmail Posted at 2015-3-6 02:01
my firmware doesn't show 3.12 as the latest. It says that 3.08 is the latest. any suggestions?

Use Northofthe49th post above to re-install PC assistant apps
2015-3-5
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

neil@barker.com Posted at 2015-3-5 17:13
I was just thinking how well my P2V+ has been lately. I was running  ...

Neil,
looking at your post again and just my .02 and what i do whenever i connect to the Phantom to the computer and run the Phantom 2 Vision Assistant Software (P2VA)..
As a rule, i always turn on the RC and Wifi Extender as if i am going to fly, then power up the Phantom (props off of course as i am indoors) as if i am going to fly and hence when both the RC and Phantom are on i can be assured of no conflicts that one is not looking for the other to minimize any possibility of any kind of miss communication.
With everything turned on and now being in the P2VA you can check all your calibrations on the RC and first then the Phantom from there. Once in the P2VA i always check all my settings including verifying my IMU Calibration under the "Tools" menu is within spec...You never know if you could be on the edge of needing a calibration and it only takes a second to check.....Also check your gains and attitude (found under the "Basic" tab) have not mysteriously changed...Mine are and have always been set to the default...
If all else fails and everything checks out and the Phantom still wants to seem to Spawn on you I would do a complete dump and start over and that includes deinstalling and re-installing the software on the PC and a hard reset on the Phantom firmware and reloading...it has helped some folks for sure and may sound a bit extreme but may be worth every bit of your time (and it does not take much time at all to do this) if it solves the problems you described.
If it works, it is a lot better than sitting and waiting for parts to show up that you maybe never needed!
Hope this helps and please let us know how it goes.
2015-3-5
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-3-6 02:03
um, the regulations do apply to UAV not just MAV, that has been pretty clear in the thousand times ...

"so my point was that it doesnt matter if operators are to blame not the phantom when determining whether there should be a no fly zone anywhere in DC for drones. "

Then you should realize that existing regulations for hobby aircrafts and limits as it stands are the opposite of what  regulations/limits are for the rest of the aircrafts. Specifically we fly in mutually exclusive zones, thus preventing any possibility of collisions. Nice try though in arguing your point, but flawed. We are living not in dictatorship state, the proposals are not the law until it is so. Kites and baloons are banned too? Next, hm birds? I could see it coming soon: WH security freaks out over fly-away ballon from kid birthday party.
2015-3-5
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

Naza-PA Posted at 2015-3-6 02:33
"so my point was that it doesnt matter if operators are to blame not the phantom when determining w ...

hobby UAVs are allowed to fly below 400ft OUTSIDE of no fly zones.  hobby UAVs are not allowed to fly at all INSIDE of no fly zones.  its not rocket science.  how does that end up meaning that we will end up where drones cant fly anywhere? what was your point again, it seems to be getting lost.  you dont oppose a reg yet you made a point about people killing people not guns.  hrmmm.
2015-3-5
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-3-6 02:48
hobby UAVs are allowed to fly below 400ft OUTSIDE of no fly zones.  hobby UAVs are not allowed to f ...

You keep mixing the meaning of NFZ. NFZ for hobby is welcome to fly zone for the rest of the aircrafts. There is no NFZ over DC , there is "DC Area Special Flight Rules Area" that regulates the rest of the aircrafts, but hobby drones. If there is such desire to include hobby drones they should follow due process, not to issue marching orders to businesses and citizens. Not sure I am following your take on guns. Just because of some could carry gun, does not mean they could shoot at other people and then blame it on gun manufacturer becasue of gun did not detect and did not prevent illegal use. This is perfectly fine to illustrate the mess DJI is getting themselves into.
2015-3-5
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

Naza-PA Posted at 2015-3-6 03:08
You keep mixing the meaning of NFZ. NFZ for hobby is welcome to fly zone for the rest of the aircra ...

dude, im not mixing anything up.  when people on this board say 'no fly zone' they are NOT talking about places PLANES cant fly (ie this).  by interpreting us that way, YOU are confusing things not me.  you can find 2+ dozen threads on this board that talk about 'no fly zones' and not a single one of them (save YOUR post) was talking about places that PLANES cannot fly.

when we say no fly zone we mean places that RC craft are not permitted to fly.  such as over 400ft, or within 5 mi of an airport, or national and state parks, and yes, in DC.  
so that clears up your 'no fly zone' comment, now explain again how your gun/operator comment isnt suggesting an aversion to regulation for where drones fly?
2015-3-5
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

Aversion of what regulation?
2015-3-5
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

Naza-PA Posted at 2015-3-6 03:35
Aversion of what regulation?

aversion to the FAA regulating where you can fly your drone, like in DC, or near airports, or above 400ft
specifically this
2015-3-5
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

This is "Small UAS Notice of Proposed Rulemaking" - it is still a proposal.
2015-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules