New Firmware (v3.12) Has Been Updated
28282 336 2015-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

Naza-PA Posted at 2015-3-6 03:42
This is "UAS Notice of Proposed Rulemaking" - it is still a proposal.

and your logic seemed to imply that we dont need this because drones dont kill people operators do
2015-3-5
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-3-6 03:43
and your logic seemed to imply that we dont need this because drones dont kill people operators do ...

I am implying: do not run ahead of the train; do not dance when not asked and etc. If you really into this discussion here is the link you may be interested in: Banning drones for the greater good!
2015-3-5
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

Naza-PA Posted at 2015-3-6 03:45
I am implying: do not run ahead of the train; do not dance when not asked and etc.

2015-3-5
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

yep, it sums up it very well. thanks
2015-3-5
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

Naza-PA Posted at 2015-3-6 03:45
I am implying: do not run ahead of the train; do not dance when not asked and etc. If you really in ...

thanks, read the thread multiple times.  then again i have read every post on this board for months now.  since you have only been on the board for a few days, i suggest you go back and read the other 30 threads on this exact same topic over the past 3 months.  after reading those, you'll understand better why there are restrictions on flying in certain areas and also why those restrictions are not parallel to destroying roads.   sigh.
2015-3-5
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

MAD In NC Posted at 2015-3-6 01:43
yep,,  per recommendation I purged the PC of all DJI software, cleaned root directory, re download ...

Glad to help and thanks for the update...Happy flying!
2015-3-5
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-3-6 04:00
thanks, read the thread multiple times.  then again i have read every post on this board for month ...

My biggest fear - it would be banned soon. So I will try to fly it as much as possible on the mean time. It seems that DC NFZ was there since FW v.3.10. Anyway, I hope they would release "follow me" to try it, before it is all becomes illegal. I will curtantly read more threads here on the subject.
2015-3-5
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

They will ban them in certain areas, as they should and put restrictions on where/how they can be flown.
If you continue to brake the restrictions the size of the ban will grow accordingly.

Gonna fly a kite or some balloons this weekend and hope my string don't brake and end up with a flyaway
2015-3-5
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

there are tons of threads where people 'worry' about drones being 'banned' everywhere and such.  most of it is not founded in any likely scenarios.  as several have pointed out in multiple threads, DC is a special place with special things and people.  i am not saying those things or people are more important than other thing or people, just saying what the rationale is behind additional restrictions there.  

but while we all have to deal with restrictions (i want to fly, for example, at national parks like yellowstone, but i cant.  i dont like it, and i probably disagree with it to some extent, but i understand the need well enough to adhere to it), i dont think the restrictions are going to become flat out bans.  actually the opposite is likely true, they will become more understood and more commonplace over time eventually allowing a good middle ground to be struck.

as for those that live IN DC, i feel for them, but understand the restrictions.  if i lived there, i would either drive somewhere outside of town to fly or i would not own a phantom.  but hey, that is just my feelings, not something i expect others to adopt.
2015-3-5
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-3-6 04:25
there are tons of threads where people 'worry' about drones being 'banned' everywhere and such.  mos ...

Thanks! I do share your concerns though about the future. We are on the same page, despite the fact it may not appear so at times. You are correct, the earlier RC planes required a lot of skills and were not as sneaky as drones are, but I do not want to continue this thought, beacuse of I do not want to give any ideas to big brother and make it even worse it already is.
2015-3-5
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

Naza-PA Posted at 2015-3-6 04:29
Thanks! I do share your concerns though about the future. We are on the same page, despite the fact ...

yep, the future certainly needs shaping properly due to the lack of skill required for piloting these things... in another thread i stated the below comment and fully believe it is at the heart of why all of the sudden these drones threaten the RC hobby when other RC craft have not done that for 50 yrs...

"for all you 'real RC' people, ive always had respect for the heli pilots.  you are controlling something that could level a football team, in uniform.  these phantoms are toys only in that they fly themselves out of the box almost and take very little training (which often comes with very little RESPECT for them).  most 'real RC' heli pilots (you know who you are), never never never fail to RESPECT the craft.  while many people that get into RC for the first time ever with a phantom can very often not fully respect it.  my fingers make me one of those.  not anymore."

if drone pilots had to learn the skill over time the way 'real RC pilots did' we likely wouldnt have half of the inflammatory issues we do today.  but alas, here we are.  glad to know we could find common ground... happy flying.
2015-3-5
Use props
buzzcbr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316545 ft
United Kingdom

Okay guys, if we get back on track re the update - can someone answer this for me please. I upgraeded to the new version, took the bird out today and she flew fine.

However I thought Id try the new 'controlable' fail safe. So flew the bird away and hit failsafe (S1 all the way down).  On my screen it said 'signal lost' and then 'returning home'. All good so far, so as she flew overhead and started to descent I tried to control her position and move her a bit. Nothing happened. left, right, left - forward - backwards - no response, she just kept coming straight down to me. (i was well impressed with where she was landing, right on top of my head)
So as I understood the new upgrade - when the birds in failsafe we should be able to control her - OR - do we have to switch her out of fail safe??

Which is it?.

Buzz
2015-3-5
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

buzz, good question.  i would assume it is with the s1 in bottom position.  after all, BEFORE this update you could control it by taking it back out of bottom position so if that were the answer, it wouldnt really be a 'new update' since it already worked that way.  im interested in this as i was planning to test it some this weekend.  your results are definitely different that i would have expected.  
2015-3-5
Use props
MAD In NC
lvl.2

United States

Ques to group...

Has anybody tried the "Upgrade Range Extender" and tested this feature out ?   

2015-3-5
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

buzzcbr@gmail.c Posted at 2015-3-6 04:55
Okay guys, if we get back on track re the update - can someone answer this for me please. I upgraede ...

I am going to bet that the Failsafe done via switch S1 is a "hard" Failsafe (kind of like shutting off the RC) and not able to be over rid with the sticks where the RTH (auto enabled due to low battery) is software (and no switch flipping required) but still use of the sticks, kind of (kind of) like auto pilot and just for comparison if you Turn off the controller and enable Failsafe none of the sticks work, right?
2015-3-5
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

guy, i think you might be right.  let us know what you find out.
2015-3-5
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

2015-3-5
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

Just completed short flight with new FW v.3.12 after snow stopped. Everything worked perfectly fine. I did not use RTH/FailSafe to land it though. Took a while to get 6 sats, possibly because of dense clouds and being close to the structure, I shoveled about 12 feet from garage door to make a small launching pad, but during flight it spoiled to 12 sats.
2015-3-5
Use props
mikeatlincoln
lvl.2

United States

Updated to FW 3.12 and recalibrated today. No problems encountered. Flew in a moderate wind and it was locked in solid.
A big sigh of relief!
2015-3-5
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

gsp171, BWJ, thanks!!!!
2015-3-5
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

DJI...CLARIFICATION PLEASE ON AUTOMATIC LANDING PER THE NEW FIRMWARE!!...What does it really mean?
I was flying in NAZA-M and have IOC enabled....

I am all up to date on softwares and firmwares, maiden voyage with 3.12 was yesterday with no fanfare or no trying the automatic landing (and what does it really mean!!)...and all was good....Yesterday!

Tonight I decided to run a battery to empty and what I experienced was that the Phantom did go to the proper RTH height and then proceeded to go back to the location where I launched it from (I do have Dynamic Home Point Enabled) which was about 150 feet away from where I was in a field, I tried to no avail to get it to come to where i was though it would not respond to the RC until I was over the spot I initially launched it from, at that point upon its descent I could I rotate it, move it left, move it right, raise it a bit etc.  (which was nice by the way) as I would hope to do though for some strange reason it did not go anywhere near to where I was when RTH initiated.

I did not flip a single S1 or S2 during this flight just to rule out any possible conflicts...
There were no props hurt during this exercise as I have Prop guards on...speaking of which during the Automatic Landing I presume you are to leave the sticks alone and just let it land (DJI PLEASE CLARIFY) as I tried to shut it off as soon as it touched down and it tipped (thank goodness for the PROP guards)....
2015-3-5
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

I just been noted that these new features :
"b) When automatic landing is initiated, users can now continue to control the aircraft’s position and altitude. During this process, the maximum speed of ascent is 1 m/s.
  c) After an automatic landing has been completed and the motors have stopped spinning, users can immediately restart the motors and begin a new flight. "
can only be activated at “Failsafe mode”, while at “RTH mode”, they will not be triggered.

Sorry they did not clarify it in release note. The new version of release note will come out soon.
2015-3-5
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

DJI-Autumn, this is contradictory to another post by a DJI member in a thread I posted earlier this evening..,in fact completely opposite....Please see here:
http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... e%3D1&lang=en..
Sorry but I am not clear on this..and exactly when these features will be activated.
Does this apply to GPS Mode only or NAZA-M Mode only and with or without IOC?
RTH is initiated when? Low Battery warning/loss of communication between Phantom and RC as out of range?Failsafe is initiated when? I put S2 in position 3?What do you call it when I turn off the controller? RTH?

It should not be that hard for someone to clarify in a single page to make this easier for all...

Please Clarify

Going to have another G&T and try to go to bed again!

2015-3-5
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-3-6 14:16
DJI-Autumn, this is contradictory to another post by a DJI member in a thread I posted earlier this  ...

Hold on, let me confirm it.
2015-3-5
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-3-6 14:32

I can confirm it for you if you could please send me half a dozen new Phantoms, 20 batteries...
I will try out every combo you could possibly imagine and tell you what does and does not work...
I am sure I will break a few but as long as they are not mine then no problem
2015-3-5
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-3-6 14:32

I know you and Tahoe-Ed are stumped...
Let us know what you figure out...signing off...
2015-3-5
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-3-6 15:13
I know you and Tahoe-Ed are stumped...
Let us know what you figure out...signing off...

When you activate failsafe procedure by turning off RC first and then turning it on again, these new features can be activated. So without regaining control on the return voyage , the drone can be controlled during the landing process, and users can immediately restart the motors after the automatic landing has been completed.

But at “RTH mode”, when S1 is toggled to position 3 (only if you set the position 3 as failsafe in Assistant software), the drone would enter into failsafe mode and the drone cannot be controlled during the return voyage and landing. After an automatic landing has been completed and the motors have stopped spinning, users still can’t restart the motors.
2015-3-5
Use props
gary.ok
lvl.3
United States

So if I loose radio control either by an actual loss of radio signal or by me turning off the transmitter, the Phantom goes into RTH mode.  Should it regain radio signal or I turn on the receiver again it will continue RTH, but I will have some level of control in altitude and position?  Not sure as to what valve that would be, but I guess anything that will keep it out of the lake is a good thing.  Just out of curiosity why not provide the same function on the failsafe with the S1 switch?  Seems like it would be basically the same thing.  
2015-3-6
Use props
Sackett
New

United States

I am prepping my Phantom 2 Vision + v3.0 for first flight.  Do I need to download and install 3.08 before 3.12?
2015-3-6
Use props
pdrr.nc
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1106266 ft
Brazil

After the update (3.12) I'm getting compass calibration errors. On the first spin the green light appears, ok, but in the second one, the light flashes red and yellow. Anyone else with similar issues? Tried in different places, already. Thank you.
2015-3-6
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

Sackett Posted at 2015-3-6 22:33
I am prepping my Phantom 2 Vision + v3.0 for first flight.  Do I need to download and install 3.08 b ...

The 3.08 Software includes the 3.12 firmware so download the 3.08 and go from there
Do not forget the DJI Windriver as the other assistants will not work without it
2015-3-6
Use props
buzzcbr
lvl.4
Flight distance : 316545 ft
United Kingdom

gary.ok@hotmail Posted at 2015-3-6 22:07
So if I loose radio control either by an actual loss of radio signal or by me turning off the transm ...

Agreed, thats what I thought would happen and would be a good feature to have.

Having lost sight of the bird,(iphone goes down etc etc) hit fail safe to bring it back  and when its within visual range again, et control back to some degree.

Oh well, I guess thats too easy eh ?

Buzz
2015-3-6
Use props
markver010
lvl.2
United States

Updated to V3.12 and the updated failed first try. Second time went fine. It seems to struggle finding Sats now, with intermittent red flashing lights?  I am flying a P2V+ Ver.3
I did remove the camera while learning some close, tight flying techniques, so no phone & not sure how many Sats are found. (The camera has been off with V3.08 and was very smooth flying) It now takes about 1-2 minutes longer to lock-in and go green...  Is this a concern?
My other concern is it was not as stable, kind of herky jerky when hovering at +-15 feet. Will this stable out or should I re-load the update?
2015-3-6
Use props
myron
lvl.4

Philippines

hello

question: once these 3.12 firmware uploaded so the drone need to off and on (power cycle) also need to calibrate the IMU?

thanks
2015-3-6
Use props
TomWolves
lvl.4
Flight distance : 110577 ft
United States

I will upgrade (try, maybe) in a couple of months soon as I see there is no problems. I don't have any reason to go to Washington D.C.
2015-3-6
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

markver010@gmai Posted at 2015-3-7 06:12
Updated to V3.12 and the updated failed first try. Second time went fine. It seems to struggle findi ...

I noticed the same. You can downgrade FW to 3.8 with Phantom 2 Vision+ Assistant Software v3.6.
I just did it and GPS comes up (>6) almost instant after power cycle inside (get 9 sats now). Also, the moment I  have downgraded, my video feed was gone (black screen). But then I disconnected USB, powered all components down, then powered all component up and everything was back to normal. At least, if something is not working you could downgrade.
The second encounter of "back screen" actually made me to think  - you have to power cycle all components after major component FW update. It ensures new component FW correctly recognized and all protocol version related settings are not in "dirty/stale" state.
2015-3-6
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

myron@iwantlemo Posted at 2015-3-7 07:25
hello

question: once these 3.12 firmware uploaded so the drone need to off and on (power cycle) als ...

Should not have to but check it as it is easy to do when connected to your computer
2015-3-6
Use props
Naza-PA
lvl.2

United States

myron@iwantlemo Posted at 2015-3-7 07:25
hello

question: once these 3.12 firmware uploaded so the drone need to off and on (power cycle) als ...

I did not calibrate anything. It was fine, except GPS was a bit slower to get >= 6 lock. I have to power cycle drone as FW update will ask to power cycle but would not say what to power cycle specifically. I would suggest to power cycle all components in normal ON/OFF sequence to make sure new FW is recongized correctly by all units.
2015-3-6
Use props
markver010
lvl.2
United States

Naza-PA Posted at 2015-3-7 08:34
I noticed the same. You can downgrade FW to 3.8 with Phantom 2 Vision+ Assistant Software v3.6.
I j ...

Well I flew 2 batteries worth today and it seemed better with V3.12. Hover is more stable, movement smoother. The Sats still take longer to locate & lock. Also the Failsafe RTH test (power off controller) was a bit strange, it was slower to react and didn't go to the full 60ft RTH height. This upgrade was supposed to provide some control on the RTH so you could slow decent or move away from bad landing spots... It did NOT work today.
2015-3-6
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

mark, we believe that the control you have is only during the descent part of the RTH, not the travel part.  did you happen to try stick movements in both travel back and descent mode during RTH?
2015-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules