1234Next >
11991 121 2017-4-19
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Archon810
lvl.1
Flight distance : 67664 ft
United States

I haven't flown the Mavic for a few months because of how bad my last experience was (the app kept showing no connection, or it would go in and out when the drone was within feet of me, on a snowy mountain).

Yesterday I flew it again, just to see if the new DJI Go v4 (4.0.6) app is still crashing on my Pixel XL. Did a clean install of it, after removing all the DJI folders on my SD card.

Great, it no longer crashes on start like it used to. Excellent.

Got the drone up in the air, flew about 500ft, suddenly the app just died. Instant crash, no message, just went to the home screen. The controller is still connected perfectly fine.

Restarted the app, but it would not reconnect, no matter what I did (even with a full Force Close). I had to land the Mavic by hand using the controller, shut down the controller, restart it, and only then the Android app finally reconnected.

This is completely unacceptable on a $1000 product. The crashes have happened so many times that:
1) I've been wishing that the controller just had a built-in screen and the phone was out of the equation altogether. Then I also wouldn't have to take off my case, fiddle with the USB-C cord, lose access to my phone, and then having to take it out again.
2) I'm now jarred so much that I simply don't want to fly it anymore because I know it'll likely disconnect, the app will crash, or something unpredictable will happen like it did several times before (19 satellites suddenly lost at once and the Mavic starts drifting away on its own really fast).

I'm probably going to sell it, cut my losses, and either wait to see if a new model will come out with an integrated screen, or go to a competitor that doesn't crash and burn on Android.

2017-4-19
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

I feel your pain... buy a used IOS and fly again!!!
2017-4-19
Use props
Archon810
lvl.1
Flight distance : 67664 ft
United States

First of all, that's not a good solution for me. But iOS reviews seem to be even worse on average - 2.5/5.0 stars vs Android's 2.9/5.0 https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ ... /id1170452592?mt=8.

DJI's dev team is pathetic.
2017-4-19
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

I'm guessing that's why the Pixel is not in DJI's support list of Android devices. Maybe you could pick up a used Android device that is in the DJI-sanctioned list just for flying?
2017-4-19
Use props
JimmyC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 65814 ft
United States

I use a Samsung S5. I trimmed the rubber holders on the left side of the controller so the phone doesn't fit so tight binding the phone plug. Before I fly I clean all the apps running in the back ground. I then turn on the controller and then turn on the mavic. Once they're connected and the app has started, before I take off I put the phone into airplane mode. I probably have about 50 flights and have had no app crashes.
2017-4-19
Use props
Kalibr
lvl.3
Flight distance : 59416 ft
United States

It went through the same issue using my new Mavic with my android phone. I considered selling it too. I knew that iOS devices worked much better, so I bit the bullet and purchased an iPad Mini 4 (first Apple product I've ever owned). After more than 40 flights, I have not experienced an app crash or disconnect. It was either get rid of the Mavic or keep flying.
2017-4-19
Use props
Gamer
lvl.2
Flight distance : 36926 ft
Ireland

Have same problem on Nexus 6p android 7.1.2 and I have solution. Just use lichi app no problem at all
2017-4-19
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Archon810 Posted at 2017-4-19 11:30
First of all, that's not a good solution for me. But iOS reviews seem to be even worse on average - 2.5/5.0 stars vs Android's 2.9/5.0 https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/dji-go-4-for-phantom-4-series-mavic-and-inspire-2/id1170452592?mt=8.

DJI's dev team is pathetic.

You can't go by App store reviews, which IMHO are worthless for apps of any level of complexity, but it's clear from monitoring this forum that Android users are frustrated both by missing out of features iOS users get first and the inability to use their device of choice.

You can choose to roll the dice and try to use unsupported devices, but you shouldn't blame DJI if the device doesn't work for you.
2017-4-19
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
Flight distance : 970374 ft
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-19 11:42
You can't go by App store reviews, which IMHO are worthless for apps of any level of complexity, but it's clear from monitoring this forum that Android users are frustrated both by missing out of features iOS users get first and the inability to use their device of choice.

You can choose to roll the dice and try to use unsupported devices, but you shouldn't blame DJI if the device doesn't work for you.

With all due respect, I would bring up that the device being on the list is no guarantee of success.  I have tried both the Galaxy S5 which is on the list and the Galaxy S7edge (recently added to the list) and they both crash constantly.  
2017-4-19
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

EastyT Posted at 2017-4-19 11:56
With all due respect, I would bring up that the device being on the list is no guarantee of success.  I have tried both the Galaxy S5 which is on the list and the Galaxy S7edge (recently added to the list) and they both crash constantly.

In which case you may, with my sincere sympathy, complain all you want.
2017-4-19
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

EastyT Posted at 2017-4-19 11:56

Are you running Nougat? I understand that requires a new compiler type that often causes troubles in OS transitions. I know some users have reported rolling back to 6 solves their issues.
2017-4-19
Use props
gkordowski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 798360 ft
  • >>>
Jersey

You can buy "old" Nexus 2013 - very cheap on e-bay, it works very good for me (I've got similar disconnection problems with my phone) and it is on DJI list.
2017-4-19
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
United States

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-19 12:07
Are you running Nougat? I understand that requires a new compiler type that often causes troubles in OS transitions. I know some users have reported rolling back to 6 solves their issues.

My S5 is running Android 5.0 and my S7edge is on Android 7.0.  Not about to downgrade my S7edge when every other app works just fine and both are on the recommended list.  I have kept close tabs on the hundreds of fixes that have been suggested and have tried most of them.  My unit is in for repair due to this issue.  Plain and simple, my devices are on the recommended list and don't work and I expect DJI to remedy the situation.
2017-4-19
Use props
rnrnrn
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430932 ft
Germany

The only thing I have seen with Samsung S7 was a slow down of video transmission and general lack of response from the app - that was due to the power saving which I switched off for flying and all was good. I can't comment on the latest version since my phone died (10.5 months into warranty, so lucky me) and hasn't returned from service yet. One thing though - I've always put it in flight mode and given it's a two SIM variation I do think this was a good idea - no extra interference from the radio on the phone. Always good idea to do that. Anyhow - you don't want to take any calls when you're flying ;-)
2017-4-19
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

EastyT Posted at 2017-4-19 12:21
My S5 is running Android 5.0 and my S7edge is on Android 7.0.  Not about to downgrade my S7edge when every other app works just fine and both are on the recommended list.  I have kept close tabs on the hundreds of fixes that have been suggested and have tried most of them.  My unit is in for repair due to this issue.  Plain and simple, my devices are on the recommended list and don't work and I expect DJI to remedy the situation.

Fair enough.
2017-4-19
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

Here's a poll tracking which Android phones are working and which ones are unstable with the latest Go 4 release: http://forum.dji.com/thread-92602-1-1.html
2017-4-19
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

if you like the Mavic and want to keep it, bite the bullet and get an iPad mini 2 or 4 and be done with it. You will finally be able to fly without issue and enjoy all the Mavic has to offer.....it will change your entire experience and make it so much more enjoyable. Otherwise, you are likely going to have issues of some sort if you insist on using Android based devices....there are a few exceptions but not the norm
2017-4-19
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

EastyT Posted at 2017-4-19 12:21

Thank You!! My S5 has been working for soooo long. I had zero problems. Its worst now. It's down right shocking that DJI is letting this happen. I've even reformatted 2 andriod phones and both do the same thing. crashes and slow downs....
2017-4-19
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
United States

Heavysledz Posted at 2017-4-19 12:40
if you like the Mavic and want to keep it, bite the bullet and get an iPad mini 2 or 4 and be done with it. You will finally be able to fly without issue and enjoy all the Mavic has to offer.....it will change your entire experience and make it so much more enjoyable. Otherwise, you are likely going to have issues of some sort if you insist on using Android based devices....there are a few exceptions but not the norm

You got to be kidding with that post. I get apple users and that DJI is in bed with apple. Seriously I do. But people shouldn't have to switch their phones or start polls to see how bad it is on one side. DJI should of just market it to apple users and say they are not developing for android. That would of solved their problems. But after someone spends 1000. And then find out months later that they have to buy an apple product for $399-$529. That's nuts!

But it's funny. My android didn't have a problem until I updated.
2017-4-19
Use props
Heavysledz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819491 ft
United States

jeebs-9 Posted at 2017-4-19 13:13
You got to be kidding with that post. I get apple users and that DJI is in bed with apple. Seriously I do. But people shouldn't have to switch their phones or start polls to see how bad it is on one side. DJI should of just market it to apple users and say they are not developing for android. That would of solved their problems. But after someone spends 1000. And then find out months later that they have to buy an apple product for $399-$529. That's nuts!

But it's funny. My android didn't have a problem until I updated.

don't get me wrong...I am not saying it is right or am trying to be pro Apple over Android. I am simply stating it you like the Mavic aside from all of the issues with disconnects etc.....the iPad mini 2 or 4 has proven to be about the most reliable device to use. So if you want to enjoy flying more and worrying less about when the next disconnect is going to happen, I would suggest you consider getting one. Either that or roll the dice and hope you can get lucky with an Android device as some people have reported good luck.
2017-4-19
Use props
Oien
lvl.1
Norway

This is not an Android issue... I have the exact same problem on my iPhone 7. App goes black and says disconnected, but the RC is still connected to the Mavic. Relaunching the app mostly works, but doing it 3-4 times on every flight is a pain in the *ss...
2017-4-19
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
United States

Oien Posted at 2017-4-19 23:42
This is not an Android issue... I have the exact same problem on my iPhone 7. App goes black and says disconnected, but the RC is still connected to the Mavic. Relaunching the app mostly works, but doing it 3-4 times on every flight is a pain in the *ss...

That's funny because it works like a dream on a iPhone 6 plus I've been using.
2017-4-20
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
United States

Heavysledz Posted at 2017-4-19 20:29
don't get me wrong...I am not saying it is right or am trying to be pro Apple over Android. I am simply stating it you like the Mavic aside from all of the issues with disconnects etc.....the iPad mini 2 or 4 has proven to be about the most reliable device to use. So if you want to enjoy flying more and worrying less about when the next disconnect is going to happen, I would suggest you consider getting one. Either that or roll the dice and hope you can get lucky with an Android device as some people have reported good luck.

No I understand. Sorry if it came off that way. I love this drone. Probably because it's my first. I've got 2 for crying out loud lol
2017-4-20
Use props
Levurmion
lvl.2
Flight distance : 182710 ft
Indonesia

Agreed indeed.

For a $1000 product, especially one that's extremely fragile and unforgiving of errors, a buggy app is unacceptable. I am using a GS7 Edge and it's such a bummer that after 15 minutes of flying, the app will often slow down or freeze altogether while frying the motherboard. The GS7 Edge is a powerful phone. It is very obvious that DJI is barely making any effort to support its Android userbase.

Heck maybe they're receiving a significant amount of cash from Apple with a deal to intentionally rig the Android app. I know how devs would usually opt for optimization in iOS devices rather than Android but hey, at least fix the app's performance with the flagships... Unless damage due to app error is covered by the warranty, I think that DJI is an irresponsible company.
2017-4-20
Use props
EDMUNDO G JR.
lvl.1

Dominican Republic

Have anyone tested firmware 0.600 with litchi apps? do disconection happens? or only with dji go app
2017-4-20
Use props
Ex Machina
Second Officer
United States

I've had zero connectivity problems with my iPhone 7, but I've heard of people having bad cables that could cause such an issue -- the flattened cabled that comes with the Mavic feels a little flimsy to me. Also, folks have stated that lint in their jacks can make for flaky connections, so I'd check those two possibilities out, fwiw.
2017-4-20
Use props
AndrewF403
lvl.3
Flight distance : 543110 ft
Ukraine

Ha, I have it even worse. DJI Go4 app crashes my Pixel XL to the point I have to hard reboot my phone (hold the power button for a long time). So I'm flying with Nexus 6. On it app just crashes, so I can quickly restart it. I'm loosing flight logs, but still it's better than having to reboot phone every 5 mins.

This is unacceptable. I dug up my older Nexus 4, will try with it.

For people mentioning some "sanctioned" list. I scouted manual PDF file and DJI Mavic page on dji.com and don't find any list. Can you please point me, where can I find it?
Still, this list should be up and front, so I can not miss it before the purchase.

DJI Go app is just bad programming, no list fill fix that.
2017-4-20
Use props
AndrewF403
lvl.3
Ukraine

Also, mandatory "Artem's Luck" joke, but sadly I'm in the same boat.
2017-4-20
Use props
EastyT
lvl.4
United States

AndrewF403 Posted at 2017-4-20 11:56
Ha, I have it even worse. DJI Go4 app crashes my Pixel XL to the point I have to hard reboot my phone (hold the power button for a long time). So I'm flying with Nexus 6. On it app just crashes, so I can quickly restart it. I'm loosing flight logs, but still it's better than having to reboot phone every 5 mins.

This is unacceptable. I dug up my older Nexus 4, will try with it.

From the Mavic Specs page:http://www.dji.com/mavic/info#specs

APP / LIVE VIEW

Mobile App        DJI GO 4
Live View Quality        720p@30fps、1080p@30fps(Remote Controller)
720p@30fps(Wi-Fi)
720p@60fps、1080p@30fps(DJI Goggles)
Latency        160-170ms (depending on conditions and mobile device)
Required Operating Systems

iOS 9.0 or later
Android 4.1.2 or later

Recommended Devices        
ios: iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPod touch 6, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad Air Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 2, iPad mini 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad Air 2, iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 3 Wi-Fi + Cellular, iPad mini 4, and iPad mini 4 Wi-Fi + Cellular. This app is optimized for iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus.

Android: Samsung S7 edge, Samsung S7, Samsung S6, Samsung S5, Samsung NOTE4, Samsung NOTE3, Samsung tabs 705c, Ascend Mate 9, Ascend Mate 7, Huawei Honor 8, Huawei P8 Max, Vivo X7, Xiaomi 5, MI 3, Google Nexus 6p, Nexus 9, Google Nexus 7 II, LG V20, Sony Xperia Z3, Smartisan T1.
*Support for additional Android devices available as testing and development continues.

2017-4-20
Use props
Tealk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 479613 ft
Romania

i am usig Galaxy S5 , android 6.0.1 , DJI GO4 ... no problem...no disconections...i tink is the best phone for mavic
2017-4-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have an iPhone 7 and have never had any issues.
Have you tried the bottom USB port (unplug the side from the RC) to see if it still does it. If not then you may need a new Lightning USB cable.
2017-4-20
Use props
AndrewF403
lvl.3
Ukraine

EastyT Posted at 2017-4-20 12:11
From the Mavic Specs page:http://www.dji.com/mavic/info#specs

Thank you!
2017-4-20
Use props
willhay555
lvl.2
Flight distance : 481755 ft
United Kingdom

Buy an IOS device?

Clearly it's an android issue.

Jesus Christ almighty.
2017-4-20
Use props
Plawa
lvl.2
Flight distance : 562641 ft
United States

That's equivalent to telling someone to move to another state because the taxes are lower there... doable? Yes. Massively annoying? Also yes.
2017-4-20
Use props
Dronoob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

Without any doubts, the Android app has some serious issues. It crashes and if it does so, it often keeps crashing over and over again until everything is restarted. From time to time it also freezes, putting so much stress on the device, that the device stops reacting to any inputs and requires a restart.

I have had the same experience on my Nexus 5x back in December. And I am still experiencing it now in April.

The list of supported devices is BS. If meant seriously, you must put it into the shop with big letters, that Mavic Pro only works with a few phones. From a technical perspective: As developer you cannot test all devices. But this is usually not necessary. If developed properly, the app will work on 99% of the devices available in the market. The remaining 1% are usually broken firmware updates (Samsung is famous for it) or systems with proprietary Android components (hello Acer).

My suggestion is: DJI, add a crash reporter to your app, so that you can see what is going wrong. Right now the crashes are neither logged by Android not by the app itself.
2017-4-20
Use props
DamienCh
lvl.1
Switzerland

Wow, the Nexus 6P is in the list??

It's my phone and has been crashing a lot since I got my Mavic. But, I have to admit, since firmware 600 it works much better.
Good to know that they are now testing on the 6P.
2017-4-20
Use props
alexcannas
lvl.2
Flight distance : 28038 ft
United Kingdom

To be honest, I have a nexus 5, 3+ years old and it works fine. It never crashed whilst I was flying.

Honestly it must be a compatibility issue with one of the fancy power management stuff in Android Nougat. I do hope they get to the bottom of it soon.
2017-4-21
Use props
Oien
lvl.1
Norway

DJI-Ken Posted at 2017-4-20 12:29
I have an iPhone 7 and have never had any issues.
Have you tried the bottom USB port (unplug the side from the RC) to see if it still does it. If not then you may need a new Lightning USB cable.

I have tried both ports with the same result. But today I saw a video on youtube where a guy had some issues with the app going black, and he turned off the video caching and the trouble went away. I tried that today, and the app worked fine. Emptied two batteries (video caching off) without a single glitch…
2017-4-23
Use props
Oien
lvl.1
Norway

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-4-20 09:15
I've had zero connectivity problems with my iPhone 7, but I've heard of people having bad cables that could cause such an issue -- the flattened cabled that comes with the Mavic feels a little flimsy to me. Also, folks have stated that lint in their jacks can make for flaky connections, so I'd check those two possibilities out, fwiw.

Today I saw a video on youtube where a guy had some issues with the app going black, and he turned off the video caching and the trouble went away. I tried that today, and the app worked fine. Emptied two batteries without a single glitch… I have also ordered a new cable just in case...
2017-4-23
Use props
patman89
lvl.4
Flight distance : 288327 ft
Germany

I have the exact same problem since DJI Go 4.0.6. I can't use my Mavic anymore - so I went back to DJI Go 4.0.5 - anyways I would have a $1,200 piece of garbage :-(

Take a look at this topic, you are not alone! If you read other boards there are thoudsands of people with such problems. And DJI doesn't care, no offical statement.

http://forum.dji.com/thread-92602-1-1.html
2017-4-23
Use props
1234Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules