what if i take off before homepoint recorded?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansce9f006f
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3583675 ft
Indonesia

So many people saying that A/C will keep the last homepoint recorded intact until the new homepoint recorded, thus causing some flyaway.

Example:
Day-1 i flown my A/C at the "A" city with all normal condition, nothing special.
Day-2 i fly at "B" city few miles away from "A" city in a rush, so i can't wait for the "home point recorded" status, that makes me to take off in ATTI mode.

Suppose RTH triggered in this last flight (regardless failsafe or smart), will the A/C going home to the homepoint of Day-1 ???

If any flightlog data/video/review about this, please be kind to show me.... [emoji4] [emoji4] [emoji4]
2017-4-21
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

That might depend on which aircraft, which firmware and how you fly it.

For example, in this log from a P4, the home point gets set automatically after take off, at 78ft altitude, however the aircraft thinks that it is still over the take off point, although I'm not sure how it knows that: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... &fromuid=316867

Best to check that it is set as part of your pre-launch checks.
2017-4-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

If you launch before the GPS has had time to acquire enough sats for a fix, or from a location where the sky is blocked,  your Phantom will be in atti mode until it gets enough sats for a fix.

Example ... you launch from under tree cover without GPS, fly up and through a gap.
Once up there, your Phantom gets a fix and records the point where this happens as home.

2017-4-21
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2017-4-21 03:26
If you launch before the GPS has had time to acquire enough sats for a fix, or from a location where the sky is blocked,  your Phantom will be in atti mode until it gets enough sats for a fix.

Example ... you launch from under tree cover without GPS, fly up and through a gap.

That's not the case in the example I linked to, that launches in P-GPS mode but sets the home point later.
I guess it requires a certain GPS quality level before it records the home point.
2017-4-21
Use props
Quamera
lvl.2
Australia

The Phantom will forget the Day-1 homepoint as soon as it is turned off so it won't try to return there on Day-2.
2017-4-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-4-21 03:54
That's not the case in the example I linked to, that launches in P-GPS mode but sets the home point later.
I guess it requires a certain GPS quality level before it records the home point.

The Phantom cannot be in P-GPS mode until it has acquired enough GPS satellites.
Until then, it's in atti mode regardless of the switch position.
Once it has enough sats, it has position holding and records home.
2017-4-21
Use props
fansce9f006f
lvl.3
Indonesia

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-4-21 02:06
That might depend on which aircraft, which firmware and how you fly it.

For example, in this log from a P4, the home point gets set automatically after take off, at 78ft altitude, however the aircraft thinks that it is still over the take off point, although I'm not sure how it knows that: http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=92471&pid=767673&fromuid=316867

Thanks for your reply Nigel_,

as far as i know form the internal flight log of my Phantom3Adv, there is blank value on the latitude and longitude column until it gain a GPS lock for the first time which means it records the home point.
but why i am asking this while i already has these data is because many people still believe that UAV always keep the last homepoint until it get the new one. that's why i wanna know wether my knowledge is applied only on Phantom3Adv or what.... Thanks again....
2017-4-21
Use props
fansce9f006f
lvl.3
Indonesia

Labroides Posted at 2017-4-21 03:26

Yes, you're right... and i've done it several times in some situation...
But what i'm asking is..... before the UAV get the HP at the current flight, will it keep the HP coordinates of the previous flight intact ?

Thanks,..
2017-4-21
Use props
fansce9f006f
lvl.3
Indonesia

Quamera Posted at 2017-4-21 04:06
The Phantom will forget the Day-1 homepoint as soon as it is turned off so it won't try to return there on Day-2.

Thank you very much....
That's exactly what i have in my mind.
2017-4-21
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

Test it and let us know.
2017-4-21
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fansce9f006f Posted at 2017-4-21 05:20
Thanks for your reply Nigel_,

as far as i know form the internal flight log of my Phantom3Adv, there is blank value on the latitude and longitude column until it gain a GPS lock for the first time which means it records the home point.

I think there may be some confusion because the map in the Go App will come up at the last location until a new GPS location is acquired.  I've see the map be in the wrong country.  However I don't recall ever seen a log with the home point in completely the wrong place, and if it was then it would instantly do a low battery return to home and the problem would be noticed.

Every time there is a problem with the home point it is because someone has set it from their mobile device and they can sometimes be wildly inaccurate, especially if they don't have a GPS receiver and are using the mobile signal to guess their location.

I'm not convinced that the home point is set on the very first GPS fix though, it may wait for a good quality fix before setting the home point.
2017-4-21
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-4-21 05:54
I think there may be some confusion because the map in the Go App will come up at the last location until a new GPS location is acquired.  I've see the map be in the wrong country.  However I don't recall ever seen a log with the home point in completely the wrong place, and if it was then it would instantly do a low battery return to home and the problem would be noticed.

Every time there is a problem with the home point it is because someone has set it from their mobile device and they can sometimes be wildly inaccurate, especially if they don't have a GPS receiver and are using the mobile signal to guess their location.

Why one would not wait for the command- "Home point recorded", if somehow home point isn't recorded, say until you get 20-30 mters away, maybe because bird doesn't get satililte fix,  your home point would then be, 20-30 meters away from you!
But, don't worry about the day before's flight, once you turn off your bird, the last home point is history, so no worries about it going back to a previous  flights home point
2017-4-21
Use props
Nigel_
lvl.4
United Kingdom

fans987d278a Posted at 2017-4-21 06:30
Why one would not wait for the command- "Home point recorded", if somehow home point isn't recorded, say until you get 20-30 mters away, maybe because bird doesn't get satililte fix,  your home point would then be, 20-30 meters away from you!
But, don't worry about the day before's flight, once you turn off your bird, the last home point is history, so no worries about it going back to a previous  flights home point

I am not sure that turning off resets the home point?

I think it may be removing the battery that resets it...
2017-4-21
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

"Every time there is a problem with the home point it is because someone  has set it from their mobile device and they can sometimes be wildly  inaccurate, especially if they don't have a GPS receiver and are using  the mobile signal to guess their location."

I don't think something like a 'wild' homepoint is possible.
If there is no GPS signal available on the device, home point cannot be set to RC. Same thing when AC has no GPS.
I have tried this indoor (with my device having a SIM card and good mobile signal):

HP-1.jpg
HP-2.jpg
2017-4-21
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Quamera Posted at 2017-4-21 04:06

That might make the problem even bigger.
If there is no GPS, latitude/longitude are set to "0" values. I've checked that in the csv file.
The map below shows where those coordinates are.

I have been digging a lot into HP/RTH/GPS topics and find it fascinating.
On my next flight I'll start from a barn or something with no GPS and then fly into the open.
Then I'll trigger RTH. Will let you know if the bird is on its way to Africa :-)

zero home.jpg
2017-4-21
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. The GPS count needs to be stable for at least a few seconds or so before it's properly recorded.
2017-4-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

"I'm not convinced that the home point is set on the very first GPS fix though, it may wait for a good quality fix before setting the home point."

A regular hand-held GPS can give a dodgy 2D fix with 3 sats and a reasonably good 3D fix with 4 sats.
The Phantom has a higher standard and requires either 6 GPS or 6 Glonass sats before it registers a fix.
When the Phantom has a fix, it's a good fix.
2017-4-21
Use props
marpir
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14908 ft

Portugal

HOME POINT.

Suddenly my PHANTOM 4 began last week with a problem: i can't fly becausr the RC "Disconnects from Aircraft".
And even woest wheb "Aiscraft Diconnnets" the Drone assumes HONG KONG as HOME POINT !?!?!.
One of thesse days i was just loosing him, i was very lucky to find him, with a GPS Finder 809meters away from me!
11.jpg
10.jpg
09.jpg
08.jpg
07.jpg
05.jpg
2017-5-2
Use props
marpir
lvl.2

Portugal

marpir Posted at 2017-5-2 19:35
HOME POINT.

Suddenly my PHANTOM 4 began last week with a problem: i can't fly becausr the RC "Disconnects from Aircraft".

Sorry my poor and rusty English.

Mário Pires
Funchal - MADEIRA Island - Portugal
2017-5-2
Use props
marpir
lvl.2

Portugal

Where is "DJI Support" to answer the problem of "Home Point = HONG KONG" i submit?????????????????{:4_154:}
2017-5-3
Use props
fans7ee265a6
New

United States

I have tried to start drone up in atti mode to let my bird warm up while walking down to the beach and it still updates the homepoint. When I get to the beach I have to power off and power back on again to update homepoint again.
2017-5-14
Use props
Rabe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 967907 ft
Germany

Last time I started my P3S I took off, before ir found enough satelites, so it started in atti mode. During the flight, the status lights went green an the friendly voice told me "home point have been updated..."

So, when you take off and fly before home point is recorded, your AC will remember that location as home point where it is when it has found enough satelites.
2017-5-14
Use props
singgiha
lvl.3
Indonesia

i have a brief test about this... --->
Conclusion :
homepoint will be reset to -null- everytime we shut down the A/C.
there is no chance of returning to home point of the previous flight, unless we keep the A/C turned on while moving to first location to another.
2018-8-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules