Camera Update?
3182 20 2015-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
scooterlam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4626 ft
United States

Can we expect a camera update via future firmware updates?

As I've said before, I find the Inspire 1's camera at it's default settings extremley too sharp. Adjusting the sharpness to -1 is way too soft and cannot be brought up to a suitible level via post sharpening via unsharp masks in post. There needs to be a happy medium.

For the record I alway shoot with custom settings, LOG, -3 sat, -3 contrast, 0 sharpness.

Any word?

2015-3-3
Use props
dundee
First Officer
Flight distance : 33550 ft

Thailand

I don't know much about setting the camera in best way (not a pro)
But for me , also to sharp.
I'm sure they working on this too.
Hopefully in a next firmware update, or at least they could give us some tips in the mean while.

As i see at the moment, you are apparently the best person to ask questions concerning camera settings etc... so for me, i keep watching you, as i already did before.
2015-3-3
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

dundee Posted at 2015-3-4 11:52
I don't know much about setting the camera in best way (not a pro)
But for me , also to sharp.
I'm s ...

Thanks Dundee - just fishing to see if anyone has heard anything rumored. I hope this gets fixed because it's a great platform but the camera is the drawback of the inspire right now. It's hard to pack so many pixels in such a small sensor without pixel degradation. Reducing the sharpness will help this.

I'm obsessed with always having the best possible quality video footage. Short of getting a heavy lift rig or s900 + zenmuse GH4 setup, the Inspire still trumps all.

We shall wait and see I guess...
2015-3-3
Use props
david.spencer
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7192 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Just a little question on the camera and gimble , my camera is always a little tilted when shooting images, I use the gimbel roll adjustment but 2 mins later it's tilted again, it's only tilted a little and nothing I can't sort in post production but clients have commented on it.
2015-3-3
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

david.spencer@b Posted at 2015-3-4 13:18
Just a little question on the camera and gimble , my camera is always a little tilted when shooting  ...

Do the calibration in the air. Mine rolls from time to time too. Just keep an eye on it until it's fixed via firmware update (wishful thinking)
2015-3-3
Use props
gb.pr-film-co
New

Germany

If they are thinking about camera updates then I´d like to see:

1080p25 with max Mbits.
It currently does 1080p25 @ 25Mbit but will do up to 60Mbit in 4K. So there is no reason it can´t do 1080p25 in 50-60Mbit as well. This would be a massive leap in picture quality and give the camera true professional status. Currently 35Mbit is considered the lower limit for HD and 50Mbit is the new (pro) standard. Go to it DJI!!!

4K at 60Mbit is just bowing to the trend and essentially pointless...
2015-3-5
Use props
InspiredOne
lvl.3

United States

DUMB QUESTION ALERT:

Have you tried softening the footage in post?
2015-3-5
Use props
eaglecook
lvl.2
United States

scooter, how do you adjust the sharpness on the camera? is it in the app somewhere? I only have a couple of flights under my belt and have played with the footage and noticed that it's definitely too sharp. It ruined a couple of cool shots I got. Thanks for the help.
2015-3-5
Use props
will
lvl.2

United States

scooterlam Posted at 2015-3-4 14:09
Do the calibration in the air. Mine rolls from time to time too. Just keep an eye on it until it's ...

In dealing with my own gimbal issue, I tried to calibrate the gimbal in air as well.  Didn't seem to do a thing.  No feedback from the pilot app and obviously no change in gimbal issue.  Scooter, does the app respond when you calibrate in the air the same way as on the ground?

Thanks and +1 to the post about YOU being the resident "expert" on settings.   Agree on the sharpness, it's like 10-15% too much!  I only output 1080p video files right now so that helps but when I go 4k, it's going to be annoying as all hell.  Bumping down the sharpness makes it too muddy really fast!
2015-3-5
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

eaglecook Posted at 2015-3-5 23:12
scooter, how do you adjust the sharpness on the camera? is it in the app somewhere? I only have a co ...

in the app select the following:

Fn (upper right) > Style > Custom ----- Adjust from there.

Note: Adjust contrast and saturation first before sharpness. As I stated in my original post, 0 is already too sharp in my opinion, and -1 is extremely soft and muddy. I've tried post sharpening on -1 sharpness settings but it just doesn't come out great.
2015-3-5
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

InspiredOne Posted at 2015-3-5 22:28
DUMB QUESTION ALERT:

Have you tried softening the footage in post?

Yes I have - not the result I'm looking for unfortunately. DJI needs a halfway point between 0 an -1 sharpness results.
2015-3-5
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

will@willbarnwe Posted at 2015-3-5 23:36
In dealing with my own gimbal issue, I tried to calibrate the gimbal in air as well.  Didn't seem  ...

Doing the gimbal calibration on the ground yields mixed results for me. Sometimes it works sometimes it doesn't. I typically try to get it as close as possible on the ground, take off, get past my potential drift/atti switch and wait for a solid gps lock. I'll hover up a good ways so the horizon is in plain sight. From here I'll try the calibration again. If it doesn't work just adjust the roll as necessary. Mine seems to "learn" where it should be as I'm flying.

Why are you only exporting 1080 videos? Are you only shooting in 1080? Remember 4K is future-proof, and Vimeo and Youtube will display these videos. Vimeo hasn't officially launched a 4K stream (yet) but any video uploaded in 4K will stream in 4K when released. Vimeo also enables the original 4K file to be available for download to followers.
2015-3-5
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

gb.pr-film-co Posted at 2015-3-5 18:05
If they are thinking about camera updates then I´d like to see:

1080p25 with max Mbits.

Agreed. 4K is the trend as 1080 will eventually be phased out. With 4K cameras hitting the market the size of a point and shoot and the Inspires impressive payload, I just wish they would release some gimbals to accommodate these new 4K cameras with larger sensors. For now the Inspire seems to be the best all around quad platform if you want decent footage.
2015-3-5
Use props
will
lvl.2

United States

scooterlam Posted at 2015-3-5 23:51
Doing the gimbal calibration on the ground yields mixed results for me. Sometimes it works sometim ...

Ok good to know I'm not crazy on the calibration.  Since my roll tolerance is borked on one side, I'll probably deal with this repair situation first and then try again when it comes back.  Hopefully, it doesn't take a MONTH!

Yes, right now the 1080p is just a lazy choice.  I've been working too much (and traveling) at my real job etc and haven't set up to do a "real" shoot yet.  You're 100% correct though, I need to get on the stick!  

I will say though, it's kind of fun to have a 4k source file in a 1080p sequence...using same theory of cropping on a high megapixel camera, you could have an added dimension of zoom if you animate the "resize".
2015-3-5
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

will@willbarnwe Posted at 2015-3-6 00:00
Ok good to know I'm not crazy on the calibration.  Since my roll tolerance is borked on one side,  ...

oh I know - it gives re-framing options in case your composition was off. I guess I'm just obsessed with having the best looking image possible. 1080 looks to soft for me
2015-3-5
Use props
will
lvl.2

United States

scooterlam Posted at 2015-3-6 00:07
oh I know - it gives re-framing options in case your composition was off. I guess I'm just obsesse ...

Are you really trying to say, "Once you go 4k, you can't go back"?! LOL  

(that doesn't quite have the same ring to it)
2015-3-5
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

will@willbarnwe Posted at 2015-3-6 00:27
Are you really trying to say, "Once you go 4k, you can't go back"?! LOL  

(that doesn't quite hav ...

more or less...yes. I shoot in 4K,5K on my RED. It's hard to go back to 1080 after falling in love with so much detail.
2015-3-5
Use props
will
lvl.2

United States

Yes, I'm 100% sure if I started using a RED, I'd lose my mind with anything but.  Same issue with my 5dmkIII for photos compared to anything else!
2015-3-5
Use props
TheFlyGuy
lvl.2

Israel

If we talk about camera's that would be great to fly with the inspire then the GH4 is my pick! that camera blow my mind. i found myself stop using my 5DmkIII almost instantly after i got this camera in my hand.

about the 4K, i agree, it's very hard not to shoot in 4K after the first project i did in 4K. even if the master go to 1080 at the end the details are more present the shooting 1080 in advance. a good log 4K source that came out from a decent camera that can record high bitrate is what you should want for your professional jobs.
2015-3-5
Use props
eaglecook
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for your help scooter.
2015-3-5
Use props
scooterlam
lvl.4
United States

TheFlyGuy Posted at 2015-3-6 01:37
If we talk about camera's that would be great to fly with the inspire then the GH4 is my pick! that  ...

I'd pick the 5D mark III over the GH4 anyday for stills. GH4 shoots compressed 4K while the 5DIII does not.

If we're talking stills cameras, (a whole other topic unrelated to this thread) -- my money was well spent on the Sony A7R with Metabones Adapter to use my Canon L glass. This little giant is the closest you can get to a medium format camera for under $3k. 36Megapixels and dynamic range galore, this camera is insane for still photography. The A7s is amazing for video and I prefer that over the GH4 for its low light capabilities. It does however need a external recorder to record 4k (one drawback)
2015-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules