1496 6 2017-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
spendalifetime
New
United Kingdom

Hi guys,

Just a quick question...

I've just been reading the CAA website regarding controlled airspace and want to make sure I'm 100% right on this...

I'm wanting to fly my Mavic at a park just outside of Leeds city. It's about 6-7 miles as the crow flies from Leeds-Bradford airport but the area does lie within their controlled airspace according to various maps as well as the Mavic's No Fly Zone info.

So my question, do I need to contact the Control Tower before flying? The CAA website makes it sound like you only need to do this for aircraft weighing more than 7kg, but it's quite possible that I'm misreading? Also, I read that you had to be within 5 miles before you need to contact the CT, however, this might have been the FAA specifically for U.S users...

Any help would be much appreciated!
2017-4-22
Use props
CelticWarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4033665 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

If you are flying within 5 miles radius of the airport, to fly in such an area of controlled space you would need a sop specific operations permit from CAA , you will need to have your commercial license to apply for this , outside this area you are allowed to fly under the rules as a hobbyist refer to CAA rules for flying drones.
2017-4-22
Use props
CelticWarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4033665 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

At 7 miles you maybe still in controlled airspace , but this area may only be controlled from height of 5000 feet to whatever this space will be marked as a rectangle jutting out from surface to air controlled space marked by red circle, there maybe rules set out by CAA for allowing you to fly in this space, you will need to check CAA rules for flying drones.
But as a rule unless you have permission from CAA you can't fly in controlled airspace, if you do have permission then you will have to contact ATC to let them know when your flying, and you would be expected to contact them to let them know your finished.
Here is a link you can check out rules . https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/ ... ones/Flying-drones/
2017-4-22
Use props
Aerial-Image
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1452408 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

As a hobbyist flyer the current new July 2018 rules are No FLY within 1km from the outer airport fence, 400ft AGL  (pilots position) MAX! - Drone will flag warning messages as you can see your within a class D airspace - LINK
2018-8-17
Use props
Maveriksam
lvl.4
Flight distance : 417500 ft
United Kingdom

Hi spendalifetime

Which park you flying in. I might join you.
I live in Leeds.
Send me a PM if you like.
2018-8-17
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

Its under 7kg so quite allowed in controlled airspace without telling anyone.  You only need to contact them for work *inside* the outer exclusion zone of an airport boundary (so within 1km).The 5 mile thing is america only so ignore that, simply isn't relevant.

UKs drone laws are fairly simple and fair as to what you can/cant do and where.

Only thing to look out for in the park is 50m from uncontrolled people or structures at all times (30m for landing), 150m and not over built up or crowded areas and keep it in line of sight.

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/ ... ircraft-and-drones/  contains the part related to use of controlled airspace.
2018-8-17
Use props
gnirtS
First Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
United Kingdom

CelticWarrior Posted at 2017-4-22 03:42
If you are flying within 5 miles radius of the airport, to fly in such an area of controlled space you would need a sop specific operations permit from CAA , you will need to have your commercial license to apply for this , outside this area you are allowed to fly under the rules as a hobbyist refer to CAA rules for flying drones.
But as a rule unless you have permission from CAA you can't fly in controlled airspace

Nope, you're completely and utterly wrong on that one.

You're perfectly entitled to fly a drone <=7kg in weight in controlled airspace with no permission required.

The CAAs own CAP/ANO state:-

Although operators of drones weighing 7 kg or less are not required to have the permission of Air Traffic Control (even when flying within Controlled Airspace or within an ATZ), the Air Navigation Order requires that any person in charge of a small drone:

may only fly the aircraft if reasonably satisfied that the flight can safely be made
and
must maintain direct, unaided visual contact with the aircraft …for the purpose of avoiding collisions.  Note: The use of normal corrective spectacles is acceptable within the term ‘unaided’

https://www.caa.co.uk/Consumers/ ... ircraft-and-drones/
2018-8-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules