Mismanagement of my drone replacement (PLEASE HELP)
1595 18 2017-4-22
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansba17cce0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 212303 ft
Canada

A month ago my drone malfunctioned during a movie shoot. It disconnected, lost video signal and did not return to home. Despite me pushing the return to home button it just stopped and hovered and pivoted left slightly (I discovered this later). In a desperate attempt to save the drone I pushed backwards on the controller to try and bring it back into range - however it didn't have a straight trajectory anymore since it changed direction on its own while hovering. It backed into a tree and subsequently fell and was damaged. This is just where the story begins, it's turned into a nightmare dealing with customer service and I am really in trouble now. I need help.

Here is my submission to DJI when I sent the drone back for damage assessment and repair:

The Phantom 4PRO was flying at an altitude less than 30m, when it reached 521.8 m from my position, the aircraft lost video feed and disconnected. Expecting it to return home at the set altitude (over 100m) I did not execute any controls other than a slight reverse to see if I could bring the aircraft within range. To my dismay, the aircraft never initiated RTH, and the DJI GO 4 app gave me no indication RTH had been initialized. Now very concerned I walked towards the aircraft’s last known location and saw that it had pivoted to the left without and controller input. When the aircraft reversed it was no longer on its initial trajectory. It had turned and faced another direction. At the time of disconnection, I had no idea whether stick inputs were being received – the remote indicated DISCONNECTED. The machine was well within control range at 521.8 m however, this machine even in completely isolated desert areas has shown poor range in comparison to what is expected. Unfortunately, the drone collided with a tree and struck the grassy area – damaging the shell and gimbal/camera unit. I’m concerned that this machine has always had a problem with its signal/range and am very concerned that it failed to initiate return-home. I’m not sure if this was due to a firmware update.

I called to speak to a customer service representative who assured me that the file would be looked at and given my explanation and flight logs (which were synced) he was confident that it was a malfunction and that the drone would be replaced.

I then received a repair invoice from DJI a week later in the amount of: $437.00 USD

Surprised by this I called DJI Support and they put me through to a Supervisor (last week) who reviewed my file, stick inputs, logs and said... I see the drone did not return to home, even though you pushed return-to-home many times. He admitted to me that he had seen this problem before and said admitted it was the fault of the machine but still asked me to pay the invoice. I told him, that makes no sense. You're telling me it was a defect with the machine and you're asking me to pay? He then agreed to replace my machine at no cost with a new one and that he would personally oversee this matter. I told him I would need the machine to be shipped soon because I'm using it in a Hollywood movie filming on the 27th in LA and need to have it back before then. He assured me he would put a rush on the replacement. That is not what happened. Apparently NOTHING was done.

A week later I get an e-mail from DJI saying:

"Dear Customer,

This is a second follow up for a pending invoice of your Phantom 4 Pro with an amount of 437.00. Your case No. is:

CAS-510462-M5C2Z6"

Being very shocked and concerned now, I called DJI Support again. After waiting an hour, the customer service representative and I spoke. She said, yes I see on file that your drone is to be replaced and that she confirmed that with the same supervisor. She then started telling me I had to pay the invoice at a discount... That is not what was agreed upon by the supervisor. I told her I needed them to keep their word and replace the drone which malfunctioned. She said she would get a Senior Manager to approve the replacement and said she would call me back within the hour. She did not call me back. That was yesterday and then customer service closed. She promised she would call me back with an update.

Today is Saturday April 22, 2017

I leave to film the final segments of the movie on April 27th. I am going to be in huge trouble if this isn't sorted right away. I can't believe I'm being treated this way. I was promised that this was going to be taken care of weeks ago.

BTW. I've spent over 20K in DJI orders for my business including: RONIN, RONIN-M, OSMO+, Phantom 2,3Pro,4Pro, Inspire 1... and am waiting to purchase a Matrice 210 RTK for aerial environmental studies (not that this matters). I want to be able to trust DJI when they say they're going to do something.

I need DJI to keep it's word and replace the machine as the Supervisor promised me. Soon it'll be too late! The flight logs are clear and customer service as already acknowledged the machine malfunctioned and it was promised to be shipped 2 weeks ago. My work depends on this being fixed. Please help.

2017-4-22
Use props
Minnesota Q
lvl.2
Flight distance : 183018 ft
United States

Should of done what I have been doing and record the conversations.

The reps that say their supervisors continuously misrepresent DJI or maybe DJI Customer Support is just that bad?

I hope a mod can get you some answers on here,,,

GL
2017-4-22
Use props
fans1034b56e
lvl.1
United States

There is no way you will have your drone back by April 27th. You have to come up with an alternative. Do not rely anything DJI customer service says unless tracking # is available and handed over to UPS or whatever.
2017-4-22
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I'm very sorry to hear your case. We'll look into the phone record and verify your claim. My colleague will contact you about this.
2017-4-22
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

I assume you called the 818-235-0789, can you pm me the phone number you own, and the exact time of the phone call, including timezone? Thank you.
2017-4-22
Use props
fansba17cce0
lvl.1
Canada

I've PM'd you DJI-Thor, I thank you for your attention. I did call the number above. I'm eagerly awaiting contact from your colleague.
2017-4-23
Use props
fansba17cce0
lvl.1
Canada

fansba17cce0 Posted at 2017-4-23 22:42
I've PM'd you DJI-Thor, I thank you for your attention. I did call the number above. I'm eagerly awaiting contact from your colleague.

Look into the previous call as well, that was when the Supervisor ensured me that a replacement would be on its way. I hope you can replay that conversation.
2017-4-23
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

fansba17cce0 Posted at 2017-4-23 22:42

Thank you for your info. I'll escalate your case.
2017-4-24
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator

fansba17cce0 Posted at 2017-4-23 22:58
Look into the previous call as well, that was when the Supervisor ensured me that a replacement would be on its way. I hope you can replay that conversation.

Yes, we can find phone record. I was asking you the exact time of the call that the promise was made, since that was the call in question. It would be helpful if you can tell me that. You can find via your phone record the time I think.
2017-4-24
Use props
fansba17cce0
lvl.1
Canada

DJI-Thor Posted at 2017-4-24 01:39
Yes, we can find phone record. I was asking you the exact time of the call that the promise was made, since that was the call in question. It would be helpful if you can tell me that. You can find via your phone record the time I think.

Last call - Friday at 2:41pm
Previous call (when the supervisor promised me a replacement) Thursday April 13th 11:40-12:40

Please listen to this call and all will be cleared up very quickly.

I just got a call from Oscar who is trying to help me (NJ). He is saying though that he checked the results of the investigation at DJI and that the drone was connected and it was a 'pilot' error reversing into the tree that caused the damage. There is no dispute about the tree causing the damage... The issue is the controller indicated 'Disconnected', and yet the drone didn't return to home, and even after I pushed return-to-home it didn't do so. Somehow I'm still being told it is my fault now and that I have to pay the invoice - even though I was promised to have a replacement at no cost to me.

Again, I was already told multiple times that this is a warranty issue and something that had been fixed in firmware updates. If it says 'Disconnected' I'm under the impression that the drone is not responsive to stick inputs. It should simply return-to-home at the specified altitude.

Oscar said the best he can do is offer me a discount. Again, this isn't what I was promised previously.

I have asked Oscar to help me ship the drone to L.A. which is where we will be using it for the film. I hope I receive it in time or I'm going to be in big trouble. It would need to reach the L.A. address by the 28th (this coming Friday).

F
2017-4-24
Use props
fansba17cce0
lvl.1
Canada

fansba17cce0 Posted at 2017-4-24 10:04
Previous call (when the supervisor promised me a replacement) Thursday April 13th 11:40-12:40

Here is the update, after speaking to Oscar I have received an updated quotation with DJI now contradicting itself: "This incident was a product malfunction."

Nevertheless, I have sadly been forced to pay this invoice due to time constraints. I do not believe this is fair at all. Also I'm being charged for a perfectly good battery that was in the drone when I shipped it back. What is going on here. I'm getting a $65 discount for what I've been through after a DJI supervisor said it was a product malfunction.

I have however paid this unfair invoice, I really need the replacement drone shipped ASAP.

Dear Customer,

You repair service of Phantom 4 Pro has been quoted by our repair team. Please refer to the invoice below and complete your payment via Paypal.

Invoice

Customer:        Farhan Umedaly
Case No:        CAS-510462-M5C2Z6
DJI Care Balance:       
Quote Date:        04-24-17
Remarks:        Dear Customer, Unfortunately, damage that is not caused by a product malfunction or is out of the warranty period is not covered by DJI aftersales policy. Damage not caused by product malfunction. We'll either repair it or replace it with a product that's new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability after payment has been received. For more information, please visit (http://www.dji.com/service/policy) - DJI North America -15% 040/24/2017

Item        Quantity        Unit Price(USD)        Total Price(USD)
Yaw-axis Motor        1        12.00        12.00
Pitch-axis Cable Cover        1        3.00        3.00
Roll-axis Bracket        1        6.00        6.00
Phantom 4 Series Intelligent Flight Battery (High Capacity 5870mAh)(20)        1        169.00        169.00
Middle Frame        1        20.00        20.00
Right Landing Gear        1        10.00        10.00
Yaw-axis Cable Cover        1        4.00        4.00
Pitch-axis Motor        1        12.00        12.00
Gimbal Yaw-axis & Roll-axis ESC Board        1        15.00        15.00
Yaw-axis Motor Cover        1        3.00        3.00
Roll-axis Back Cover        1        3.00        3.00
Pitch-axis Cable Cover V02        1        3.00        3.00
Pitch-axis Back Cover        1        3.00        3.00
Yaw-axis Cable Sticker        1        1.00        1.00
Upper Cover (Logo)V02        1        6.00        6.00
Roll-axis Motor        1        12.00        12.00
Pitch-axis Bracket V03        1        7.00        7.00
Left Landing Gear        1        10.00        10.00
Pitch-axis Bracket        1        7.00        7.00
Yaw-axis Motor Cable Cover        1        1.00        1.00
Service Charge        2        65.00/H        130.00
Freight:                        0.00
Total Amount:                        437.00
Discount:                        -65.55
DJI Care deduction:                        0.00
Total Payment:                        371.45
2017-4-24
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

fansba17cce0 Posted at 2017-4-24 10:04

In regards to the conversation with the initial supervisor, is still being investigated for the miscommunication. At this time, the flight data analysis that was provided to you by the latest supervisor still stands. They had had offered to provide a discount to the overall cost, but that's the best that can be done for this matter. Once the invoice has been settled, they can work into trying to meet your shipping request.
2017-4-24
Use props
fansba17cce0
lvl.1
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-24 13:59
In regards to the conversation with the initial supervisor, is still being investigated for the miscommunication. At this time, the flight data analysis that was provided to you by the latest supervisor still stands. They had had offered to provide a discount to the overall cost, but that's the best that can be done for this matter. Once the invoice has been settled, they can work into trying to meet your shipping request.

Hello DJI-Jamie,

I have settled the invoice regardless. I can't wait any longer so I really home a replacement can be sent ASAP. I've had to waste so much time waiting because I was told a replacement was being shipped weeks ago. I do appreciate someone doing something to move this forward.

2017-4-24
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

fansba17cce0 Posted at 2017-4-24 16:49
Hello DJI-Jamie,

I have settled the invoice regardless. I can't wait any longer so I really home a replacement can be sent ASAP. I've had to waste so much time waiting because I was told a replacement was being shipped weeks ago. I do appreciate someone doing something to move this forward.

If you want to PM me PayPal transaction ID for that payment, I can ensure that it's confirmed by Repair ASAP in order to try and meet your deadline.
2017-4-24
Use props
fansba17cce0
lvl.1
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-24 18:46
If you want to PM me PayPal transaction ID for that payment, I can ensure that it's confirmed by Repair ASAP in order to try and meet your deadline.

I PM'd you.
2017-4-25
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

I got it, thank you. You should see movement in your case soon.
2017-4-25
Use props
fansba17cce0
lvl.1
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-4-25 15:16
I got it, thank you. You should see movement in your case soon.

Thank you Jamie
2017-4-25
Use props
fansba17cce0
lvl.1
Canada

I just received an automated message that my drone has been shipped.

The items shipped DID NOT include my hardshell backpack which I sent the drone in for safety. IT IS ALSO BEING SHIPPED TO THE WRONG ADDRESS. As I mentioned I am leaving to LA today for the movie. I have specified this on the phone, e-mail, to Oscar a Supervisor and here as a PM.

Your Phantom 4 Pro regarding case No.

CAS-510462-M5C2Z6

has been repaired. Please visit our Repair Progress Inquiry website or use the DJI GO App to view the repair progress. Your unit will be shipped out to the following address within three business days.

Thank you for choosing DJI

Best Regards,
DJI Support

2017-4-26
Use props
fansba17cce0
lvl.1
Canada

Dear Jamie,

I received the drone in California. It was however not a replacement I'm sure as it was covered in a brown film, had fingerprints on the sensors and a speckled lens - which I've managed to clean. This doesn't seem right. There was a note inside the case saying "warranty battery". I sent my drone in with a battery inside a hard shell backpack. The repair cost included a fee for replacing this battery - but this battery was perfect and not damaged. If I"m paying for a new battery then where is my old one? Can you please send me my missing battery?

I do appreciate you making the effort to send me the machine to California on a quick turn around to make up for the misguidance though. Did you guys look into the free replacement I was promised?
2017-5-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules