Inspire 1 Radio Interference Issues
4968 19 2015-3-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

Some radio communication devices (including walkie-talkies and other such devices) have the potential to interfere with the Inspire 1’s radio signals and may present a safety hazard if used in close proximity while flying.

Please remember:
1.     Only use radio communication devices that are in compliance with legally established standards and ITU Radio Regulations.
2.     When using a radio communication device, be sure to keep it at least 16 feet (5 meters) from the aircraft and remote controller.
3.     DJI takes no responsibility for any Inspire 1 malfunction caused by the use of illegal or non-compliant equipment.

Thank you,

DJI
2015-3-3
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

I was just wondering about this TY.
2015-3-3
Use props
DJI-DingC
lvl.2

Hong Kong

More specifically, it is not recommended to simultaneously operate more than 3 Inspire 1 in the same area that has the size similar to a soccer filed.   
2015-3-4
Use props
docodrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 119062 ft
Singapore

how about 2 phantom and 1 inspire 1 fly in the soccer field?
2015-3-4
Use props
Bob Marley
lvl.4

United States

I ad to this forum, others just troll for fights

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?m ... d=11253&lang=en
2015-4-16
Use props
sbarryjackson
lvl.4
Flight distance : 18931532 ft
  • >>>
United States

Thanks for letting us know about your charger Bob. No one on these boards has seen that tread yet. Way to fire up a month and a half old thread. hahahahahah

Head over HERE to get better information and without alll the garbage from Bob. Genettico is spot on and much more pleasant.
2015-4-16
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Autumn,

This is very concerning.  In commercial operations within the UK, should a risk assessment highlight the need for numerous spotters and an Observer these must be contact with each other and the use of two-way radios is advised.  However, these will be between the Spotters and the Observer who will then advise the Pilot of any incursions into the controlled area.  This means the Observer should be located close to the Pilot in order to advise him of any activity or issues noticed.

If Two-way radios are going to be a problem for the DJI Inspire, then this needs to be addressed from a professional commercial stance, unless of course we all get trained in semaphore and are issued with flags, which I assume could also double as wind socks when not used.

Seriously though, this needs to be reviewed by DJI technicians if the Inspire is to be promoted for use on a professional level.
2015-4-20
Use props
DJI-Autumn
Second Officer

Hong Kong

GB44 Posted at 2015-4-20 23:00
Autumn,

This is very concerning.  In commercial operations within the UK, should a risk assessment  ...

Gary,

I understand your concern. I agree that there is a need for spotters and observer to communicate via 2-way radio, the same within a film crew. Could it be possible to use a standard power device for them to work (0.5W) ? You can see that the interference only happen when using an excess power device.
I'll talk to them regarding this.

Btw, what do you mean by flag? Sorry I do not understand it clearly.
2015-4-20
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

DJI-Autumn Posted at 2015-4-21 14:11
Gary,

I understand your concern. I agree that there is a need for spotters and observer to commun ...

Autumn,

Sorry I was joking about that.  

Before two-way radio, communication between sailors on different ships was done using a system called semaphore, which used flags to signal and send messages to sailors on other ships.  It is still used today in the Navy.  This link may help you to understand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flag_semaphore

Regarding two-way radios in the Uk, there are two versions, licensed and unlicensed both of which may be used in the sort of environments you would expect when using with Observer and Spotters.  Motorola would be a good starting point for you to contact regarding frequency and specs of their commercial two-way radios. The UK government also allows small, low-powered handheld two-way radios that use a set of eight frequencies in the UHF band (around 446Mhz) and as you say have a small power of around 0.5W output but, commercial type radios use different frequencies and need to be licensed.   Commercial radios are also generally more powerful with increased range and rated at 4 or 5W for hand held radios.

2015-4-20
Use props
skyvideoct
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1136230 ft
United States

I've been thinking about using a handheld Icom aircraft frequency radio to listen to local airport traffic if within a certain radius/proximity. I guess this may cause interference if used to transmit in a very rare occasion (AC to tower comms if warranted).
An important element of piloting an AC is awareness of other AC in the NAS, even if 5-10NM away.
2015-4-21
Use props
PeteGould
lvl.4

United States

Aircraft communicate on much lower frequencies than anything the Inspire uses.  I would not expect anything you hear (or transmit) on a handheld aircraft frequency radio to affect the link to the Inspire.
2015-4-21
Use props
leostrat_54
lvl.3

United States

PeteGould Posted at 2015-4-21 21:35
Aircraft communicate on much lower frequencies than anything the Inspire uses.  I would not expect a ...

I really think using high quality, controlled emission equipment shouldn't be a problem.  The long range tracker I am using broadcasts on 21 MHz and doesn't interfere with the bird and is attached to the back of it.
2015-4-21
Use props
chris_culp
lvl.1

United States

leostrat_54@yah Posted at 2015-4-21 23:59
I really think using high quality, controlled emission equipment shouldn't be a problem.  The long ...

My inspire 1 went crazy over my canyon in front of my house on Friday. I have flown there many times and had no issues. I am wondering if some things could have been an issue Id like you guys to way in on so I don't duplicate this. I calibrated the compass and all readings were normal. I checked IMU status and indicated no cal needed. It was very hot that day. I am in the santa cruz mountains and it was 90 or so with a bit of humidity. I was getting ipad mini acting up and got an earlier battery warning from my P3 as well as interference with the mini on it  as well. I was playing music with a bose mini bluetooth speaker within 5 feet of my RC when flying and compas cal. But numbers where good and all stayed green with 17 satellites and home point set. at 2 minutes or so of hard flying it went crazy as if someone else was fighting the controller. It took 5 minutes of pushing it out over the canyon away from houses and back in to wrangle it around even ducking mysfl to avoid getting hit then spinning myself around to take pull it back towards me and tried landing on the roof. I put gear down in anticipation of any land and down it will go but once I put on the roof its hard plastic legs slid and was headed for edge and canyon lol. So I pushed it out and up again and came back for another attempt and was able to barely push it down on my 4x8 landing pad on roof. I had metal chairs in vicinity to but all this was there before many times except for bluetooth stereo. Also I had a metal folding chair under the helipad but a inch and a quarter of plywood in between and as I said compass and IMU where perfect. There was a solar storm the day or so before and activity was moderate. So any thoughts from anyone. ALso my tenant has a baby monitor but that is two stories below. I am at a loss.  Just a bug perhaps that will hopefully be worked out in future FW's?  Thank you

Chris
2015-6-29
Use props
emoya
New
Flight distance : 287552 ft
United States

Greetings Autumn. Could you be more specific to what you mean by potentially interfering with the Inspire 1's radio signals?
2015-7-13
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

chris_culp Posted at 2015-6-30 15:02
My inspire 1 went crazy over my canyon in front of my house on Friday. I have flown there many tim ...

Every one of these going crazy and flyaways start out by saying I calibrated my compass or my compass and IMU  If you are flying from the same place, and your app dosen't call for calibrating the compass,  why would you do it.  

You may catch a spurious element in your recalibration, If you didn't recalibrate, once the machine lifts off you may be away from elements  in the environment, that may be detrimental and spurious   

When the machine lifts off, and away from possible negative elements, it would be calibrated correctly, and fly fine.  Do you disconnect the battery cable on your car just to reset the computer even if it running right.  Just my opinion to not fix something that is not broke.

I believe I read in my p2 instructions to calibrate if you move to different places, like 30 miles or so away, I have flown hundreds of flights on my p2, calibrating only a handfull of times, I don't think I calibrated out of the box even the first time I flew it,  I have flown it 300 miles away from where it was calibrated, I forgot, it flew perfectly.

I do check on the app compass display, if my bird shows on the app that it is pointing the same direction it says it is.  I rotate it And I turn with the remote to see if my pad compass agrees.

If everything is correct and the app does not say that the compass needs calibrated why would you calibrate it and risk a missed calibration.
2015-7-14
Use props
Mkell_CA_SF.BAY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 307431 ft
United States

Autumn,
Can you clarify what you mean by #3.

I just had an issue with my inspire where I believe radio interference. (not my own) caused my inspire to go haywire. It became uncontrollable. And a return to home resulted in it flying 60 mph in the opposite direction of my home point and crashing into a tree.
2015-7-14
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

Mkell_CA_SF.BAY Posted at 2015-7-15 13:18
Autumn,
Can you clarify what you mean by #3.

Mkell,

Just reading your post.  

Do you know what the other radio interference was ?  
Was it a two-way radio or something like a radio mast?
Do you know what frequencies it was working on ?

Might just help to pin point to a answer.  How do you know it was radio interference ?

Please give more information, it may help others on the forum or DJI to determine a possible cause and educate us all.
2015-7-15
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

Hi Autumn

I to would like to know what no. 3 means also , does that mean non listed by dji compliant android and ios devices.
2015-7-15
Use props
mtnmaddman
lvl.4
United States

Hi Autumn

I to would like to know what no. 3 means also , does that mean non listed by dji compliant android and ios devices.
What would be the illegal equip,?
2015-7-15
Use props
Mkell_CA_SF.BAY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 307431 ft
United States

GB44 Posted at 2015-7-15 16:34
Mkell,

Just reading your post.  

I flew in an open field, but there was some radio towers of some kind a couple hundred yards away... (in hindsight, had I spotted the towers prior to take off I would have opted to not fly.
2015-7-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules