Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
WILL DJI REPLACE? Lost connection... drone gone :-(
12Next >
15783 48 2017-4-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Sakura Sky
New
Japan

I've had my DJI Mavic Pro for about three weeks or so and have gone on over 60 flights with no problems. However today I inexplicably lost connection (I had a strong signal with 18 satalites) and plenty of battery left. Shortly after getting the warning I lost connection I was asked to return to home and I of course obliged. Shortly afterwards I was disconnected and had no drone data. I was streaming Facebook live and even the video cut out after the disconnection. In the distance I could see the drone hovering and after the the battery gave out the Mavic slowly and inevitably descended into the ocean. From you experience will DJI replace the drone? I'm so sick now... praying they work with me. Please see attached for the last flight log... it cuts out in the spot it went down... I have a Facebook live video that cuts out shortly after the warning... https://www.facebook.com/phillip.tomomi.hinnant/videos/1456792871010856/
IMG_2310.PNG
2017-4-23
Use props
willhay555
lvl.2
Flight distance : 481755 ft
United Kingdom

Highly doubtful.
2017-4-23
Use props
Sakura Sky
New
Japan

Oh no! Why don't you think so???
2017-4-23
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

When you say "I lost connection," what exactly do you mean? Did you lose the video feed but still have connection with the RC? Or did the RC lose connection?

Had you changed your Signal Lost setting to "Hover" or "Land" instead of "RTH?" If your RC lost connection, the default settings would have it RTH.
2017-4-23
Use props
Sakura Sky
New
Japan

Jason, I lost connection and right in that moment I was prompted to return to home, which I did. Maybe 3 seconds after that everything went black... no feedback whatsoever and my Facebook live feed stopped as well at that moment.
2017-4-23
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

Sakura Sky Posted at 2017-4-23 01:32
Jason, I lost connection and right in that moment I was prompted to return to home, which I did. Maybe 3 seconds after that everything went black... no feedback whatsoever and my Facebook live feed stopped as well at that moment.

I'm still not clear about what connection was lost. Was it between the app and the RC (meaning you still have control of the Mavic) or between the RC and the Mavic? If the RC loses connection, the RC's screen will show "Connecting" as it tries to reconnect with the Mavic.
2017-4-23
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

Either way, I recommend you upload your flight log to AirData https://app.airdata.com/main?a=upload and PhantomHelp http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-4-23
Use props
Sakura Sky
New
Japan

It did display connecting for a short while (less than I minute I'm guessing) but for some reason never re-established connection. During hat short period I had feedback from the app (displayed my location, altitude, etc.). After that short period it then displayed disconnected for the duration.
2017-4-23
Use props
Sakura Sky
New
Japan

Jason I've got a Mavic.
2017-4-23
Use props
Sakura Sky
New
Japan

Or I had one rather
2017-4-23
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

Post log files and you'll get some insight from others on what happened.
2017-4-23
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

What I don't understand:
Upon signal loss the Mavic didn't return home. It should have triggered failsafe RTH though.
The satellites are no indication of signal quality between remote and AC.
They are an indication of how well the AC knows it's position.
What surprises me is that you saw the Mavic go down. It was 1800ft away!

These days you might also want to look into possible interference by jammers.
You had the Pearl Sea Resort right in your back. It's just speculation but maybe worth looking into.
In some Thailand thread I read recently that jammers are becoming very common over there.
2017-4-23
Use props
FF6022
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Doubt they wil replace, need the craft. But if you can prove by flight log it was equipment failure you might stand a chance
2017-4-23
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Philippines

Sakura Sky Posted at 2017-4-23 01:39
Jason I've got a Mavic.

I know ;-)
2017-4-23
Use props
Sakura Sky
New
Japan

Also I've flown here before with no problems... when trouble hit today it hit like a sledge hammer and it seems like it just shut down
2017-4-23
Use props
Sakura Sky
New
Japan

I did add the flight log to this post I believe. The RTH was initiated but for whatever reason it did not return. Today was a picture perfect day and I had line of sight with the drone as it was against a clear blue sky. A jammer would make sense as nothing else seems to
2017-4-23
Use props
Sakura Sky
New
Japan

Here is the flight log
IMG_2310.PNG
2017-4-23
Use props
Sakura Sky
New
Japan

How can I share the flight log with you guys? I realized I'm just only sharing a photo {:4_177:}
2017-4-23
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

You did provide the facebook live feed.
You need to provide the flight record which is stored in the DJI folder on your phone.
Those records are text files and look like this:
DJIFlightRecord_2017-04-23_[time...]

Upload the file here and provide us with the link:
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
2017-4-23
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

From you experience will DJI replace the drone?

They might. In addition to uploading the log from the flight and providing a link to it they'll also want you to sync the flight logs from your mobile device with their server.
2017-4-23
Use props
lhabdullah
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1486660 ft
United Kingdom

I think. This is exactly what happened to me too. Luckily I found the drone back.
2017-4-23
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

lhabdullah Posted at 2017-4-23 05:27
I think. This is exactly what happened to me too. Luckily I found the drone back.

lhabdullah,
               This did not happen to you !!!!!!!!  after all the posts from the Thread you started the other day
you still don't UNDERSTAND!!!!!!! --- I'll tell you again , You were flying in a NFZ 1300 feet high very close ( Looks Like The Red Zone) to an airport ---  Again , consider yourself Lucky you have your Mavic back!!!!!!!!!
2017-4-23
Use props
lhabdullah
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1486660 ft
United Kingdom

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-4-23 05:52
lhabdullah,
               This did not happen to you !!!!!!!!  after all the posts from the Thread you started the other day
you still don't UNDERSTAND!!!!!!! --- I'll tell you again , You were flying in a NFZ 1300 feet high very close ( Looks Like The Red Zone) to an airport ---  Again , consider yourself Lucky you have your Mavic back!!!!!!!!!

Dear SkukWerxs, why do you hate me so much? No need to scream. It was not in NFZ zone. It was in yellow zone. NFZ is red. Even though, flying in red zone won't cause disconnection. Can you focus on the main issue where disconnection happen without an exlanation. To make you understand the issue. Here, imagine one day a man driving a car to a gentleman club, then the car broke in the middle of the road. Are you the kind of mechanic who wont repair the car because the man is on his way to gentleman club? Where the real problem is figuring out why the car broke.

YELLOW

YELLOW
2017-4-23
Use props
AndyY
lvl.2
Flight distance : 14537 ft
United Kingdom

lhabdullah Posted at 2017-4-23 06:21
Dear SkukWerxs, why do you hate me so much? No need to scream. It was not in NFZ zone. It was in yellow zone. NFZ is red. Even though, flying in red zone won't cause disconnection. Can you focus on the main issue where disconnection happen without an exlanation. To make you understand the issue. Here, imagine one day a man driving a car to a gentleman club, then the car broke in the middle of the road. Are you the kind of mechanic who wont repair the car because the man is on his way to gentleman club? Where the real problem is figuring out why the car broke.

To use your analogy if I saw you drive past me disregarding every rule of the road and driving without any regard for the needs of other road users (just because you can rather than because you should) and I saw you break down then it is far more likely I'd drive past laughing my nuts off at you crying on the kerbside over your knackered motor rather than stopping to help you in a situation you caused.
2017-4-23
Use props
CelticWarrior
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4033665 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I don't think SkunkWerks hates you, but he does have a point, you clearly flew your AC illegally in a totally reckless manner without care for person property or anything else.
You are somehow now being backed by a few who don't care for anybody's safety, blaming dji for what might have happened. Yet you fail to mention that you are clearly told in the manual to fly in suitable environments to keep your AC in VLOS and abide by your country's regulations, you clearly paid no attention to any of this and thus crashed your Mavic . I don't believe you have a leg to stand on, you have offered no proof what so ever that your crash had something to do with malfunction, just you and the usual crew who think it's right to continue to advise those who crash their Mavics  that somehow without any proof that you have some case for recourse with dji, it's simply ridiculous.
2017-4-23
Use props
Eric13
lvl.4
  • >>>
Germany

lhabdullah Posted at 2017-4-23 05:27

Too bad that with this post the thread turned into a hijacked one.
2017-4-23
Use props
Dronoob
lvl.4
Flight distance : 126079 ft
Germany

The Mavic has two options when the connection is lost: 1) Hover in place 2) Return to home. If you set it to "hover in place" the drone behaved exactly as it was told to do. When the battery ran out, it performed an emergency landing. In this case, DJI will probably say "pilot error". If you set it to "return to home" it should have automatically returned after the connection broke. But it did not. In that case, DJI might replace the aircraft.

One thing I am wondering though: Why couldn't you re-connect? You had 10 minutes of time and the drone has already been away much further.
2017-4-23
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

CelticWarrior Posted at 2017-4-23 06:42
I don't think SkunkWerks hates you, but he does have a point, you clearly flew your AC illegally in a totally reckless manner without care for person property or anything else.
You are somehow now being backed by a few who don't care for anybody's safety, blaming dji for what might have happened. Yet you fail to mention that you are clearly told in the manual to fly in suitable environments to keep your AC in VLOS and abide by your country's regulations, you clearly paid no attention to any of this and thus crashed your Mavic . I don't believe you have a leg to stand on, you have offered no proof what so ever that your crash had something to do with malfunction, just you and the usual crew who think it's right to continue to advise those who crash their Mavics  that somehow without any proof that you have some case for recourse with dji, it's simply ridiculous.

You are somehow now being backed by a few who don't care for anybody's safety, blaming dji for what might have happened . . . I don't believe you have a leg to stand on, you have offered no proof what so ever that your crash had something to do with malfunction, just you and the usual crew who think it's right to continue to advise those who crash their Mavics  that somehow without any proof that you have some case for recourse with dji, it's simply ridiculous.

Personally I intend to continue to try to help anyone who comes here and asks for it -- including you. Sometimes I won't be able to, but I'll continue to try. And while it's true that I don't have "proof" that his crash was caused by a defect, it's also true that you can't prove that it wasn't. These are all just opinions and ultimately the one that matters is DJI's. But what we do know in the meantime is that his experiences are like those of others who've experienced similar problems, and partly because of that I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt.
2017-4-23
Use props
CelticWarrior
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-23 12:51
You are somehow now being backed by a few who don't care for anybody's safety, blaming dji for what might have happened . . . I don't believe you have a leg to stand on, you have offered no proof what so ever that your crash had something to do with malfunction, just you and the usual crew who think it's right to continue to advise those who crash their Mavics  that somehow without any proof that you have some case for recourse with dji, it's simply ridiculous.

Personally I intend to continue to try to help anyone who comes here and asks for it -- including you. Sometimes I won't be able to, but I'll continue to try. And while it's true that I don't have "proof" that his crash was caused by a defect, it's also true that you can't prove that it wasn't. These are all just opinions and ultimately the one that matters is DJI's. But what we do know in the meantime is that his experiences are like those of others who've experienced similar problems, and partly because of that I prefer to give him the benefit of the doubt.

I admire you trying to help others, but I do have a problem with you starting your opinions by firstly denigrating the opinions of others before they are offered.
2017-4-23
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

CelticWarrior Posted at 2017-4-23 13:37
I admire you trying to help others, but I do have a problem with you starting your opinions by firstly denigrating the opinions of others before they are offered.

Yeah, it stinks when others denigrate you, doesn't it? That was kind of my point -- but at least my criticism wasn't aimed at any particular person, much less a specific person already distraught over the loss of an expensive possession.
2017-4-23
Use props
PartsGuy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 418346 ft
United States

It is impossible to determine what course DJI will take on this unless you post the flight logs and other info here. You use many examples of why people should jump on your bandwagon but offer no proof of anything but your video. And it doesn't show anything but poor video.
2017-4-23
Use props
CelticWarrior
lvl.4
  • >>>
Ireland

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-23 13:43
Yeah, it stinks when others denigrate you, doesn't it? That was kind of my point -- but at least my criticism wasn't aimed at any particular person, much less a specific person already distraught over the loss of an expensive possession.

No it was aimed at almost everyone else here on the forum, helping one while castigating everyone else, it's very easy to offer the kind shoulder, particularly when almost laud yourself as the only one, just because others opinions aren't the same as yours , doesn't make them less valued.

Take your friend here, if he had have brought his AC home at his legal limit he would still have it, I for one think this is a valid point and one that should be pointed out .
2017-4-23
Use props
Cx8OccheKhRn
New

United States

They will not replace it, I've already gone through this. I have had mine since the first day, used the original app and never had issues for a few weeks but then I moved and got busy with work went to use it again and got a notice to use the new app, first time I used the new app it synced and went through the test and initialize functions then I took it up in the air and the app crashed on my LGv20 phone. As soon as it crashed my DJI pro took off across the lake never to be seen again and DJI will not replace it.

I also paid for the extra protection, still DJI refused to replace it.

$1300 wasted,
2017-4-23
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

lhabdullah ,
               I don't hate you ---- You just went about flying your Mavic in a very Reckless manner --- Even though you claim now to be in the yellow zone that is around that airport , it still is a NFZ!!!! you were 1300 ft. high and it was in the "evening" -- Now tell me for real, do think it was a smart thing to do ???? There are hundreds of places to fly safely and you picked one of the most dangerous an unsafe places to fly -- please if your going to roll the dice on life , roll them on your own life not others.
                As for your analogy, if I was a mechanic and a guy breaks down with his car -- I would stop fix his car and go to the gentleman's club with him -- All in all you don't really know what happened that evening with your Mavic and now to claim that you think you had the same thing happen to you that had happened to the op of this post -- Trust me the outcome of your incident and this op's incident are going to be in no way and no how the same.
                 CelticWarrior you fully understand my demeanor with this matter -- Thank You.
                 DroneFlying I have the upmost respect for your opinion/opinions they do matter good or bad.
      I do admit I do have a problem with people that do not use common sense and can cause harm to others physically an damage the respect of all Drone Pilots internationally.
                  To me there's a simple remedy for lack of RC Flying common sense -- Think B4 You Fly !!!
FlySafe -Fly Free   
2017-4-23
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-4-23 16:04
lhabdullah ,
               I don't hate you ---- You just went about flying your Mavic in a very Reckless manner --- Even though you claim now to be in the yellow zone that is around that airport , it still is a NFZ!!!! you were 1300 ft. high and it was in the "evening" -- Now tell me for real, do think it was a smart thing to do ???? There are hundreds of places to fly safely and you picked one of the most dangerous an unsafe places to fly -- please if your going to roll the dice on life , roll them on your own life not others.
                As for your analogy, if I was a mechanic and a guy breaks down with his car -- I would stop fix his car and go to the gentleman's club with him -- All in all you don't really know what happened that evening with your Mavic and now to claim that you think you had the same thing happen to you that had happened to the op of this post -- Trust me the outcome of your incident and this op's incident are going to be in no way and no how the same.

I do admit I do have a problem with people that do not use common sense and can cause harm to others physically an damage the respect of all Drone Pilots internationally.

You mean like someone who flies their drone around people on a bridge full of metal until it crashes into the railing and goes over the side? I remember a guy on here who did that once, but he didn't get beaten up by others for it, and I'm sure he preferred not to be.

And as far as the verbal abuse goes and especially with this being Sunday, I seem to remember someone saying something once about what we should "do unto others". I can't quite recall the rest, but I'm sure someone can google it. I also seem to remember that the same person had something to say about who was qualified to "cast the first stone", but again I'm a little fuzzy on the rest at the moment. Of course, I guess if you disagree with those two things then they aren't really relevant here, are they?
2017-4-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry to hear about the experience.
Did you recover the drone?
If you are located in Japan, please get in touch with our tech support at support.jp@dji.com.
Sync your flight records and provide the DJI account email to them.
Our engineers will help to analyse the flight data for you.
2017-4-24
Use props
Ramsey
lvl.1
Flight distance : 117231 ft
  • >>>
Singapore

Unfortunately, i lost my Mavic the same way you did today. It lost connection at some point (no warnings before whatsoever) over the water and never returned. Was DJI able to help you in any way? Super frustrated right now, since i don't think i did anything wrong :-(
2017-8-26
Use props
ffaxdavid
lvl.1
Flight distance : 840433 ft
United Kingdom

Ramsey Posted at 2017-8-26 01:54
Unfortunately, i lost my Mavic the same way you did today. It lost connection at some point (no warnings before whatsoever) over the water and never returned. Was DJI able to help you in any way? Super frustrated right now, since i don't think i did anything wrong :-(

different situation i think,but end result is my mavic flew away,and dji replaced it much to my releief and surprise after reading so many flyaway stories!
middle of fields rural area,20 feet away pressed return home,it did so 50 ft above me,cancelled rth to land manualy just as battery low warning came on and it said returning home (even tho it already had) and then flew off somewhere at speed chirping returning home lol...end result,i failed to get it to manual as after tried to get bearings as it flew away i lost sight of it,then lost connection,and pause button didnt seem do owt,couldnt see it to fly manualy,and find my drone area was definately not the area find my drone on app said it was, coz i couldnt find it...sent logs to dji and had a little cry to them,week later they replaced it free of charge,no postage or anything,so well impressed! (said they agreed was not my fault and it shouldnt have flown away,was amazed and relieved )
     am assuming combination of 'it needed to rth' along with battery warnings,my cancelling original rth,it already having returned to home as low batt needed it to and the disconnect combo made it fly to a previous home point,but otherwise i have no clue...dji on other hand seem to know well that it was their fault from logs sent or wouldnt have replaced it,but they didnt expand on why it was their fault,just that they accepted fault was theirs so i am happy bunny (be happier if i hadnt bought a new one to look for it and now have two mavics lol)
2017-10-24
Use props
Jos A
Second Officer
Flight distance : 73209 ft
Netherlands

What were your max distance setting?? and did you flew further than that? (seems you flew a distance )
Did you enter a flightsafety area?
And yes If you didn't set when RC connectionlost hover instead of RTH the MP stays hover.

2017-10-24
Use props
djiuser_AWBwzwiUNihG
lvl.1

Australia

Cx8OccheKhRn Posted at 2017-4-23 14:45
They will not replace it, I've already gone through this. I have had mine since the first day, used the original app and never had issues for a few weeks but then I moved and got busy with work went to use it again and got a notice to use the new app, first time I used the new app it synced and went through the test and initialize functions then I took it up in the air and the app crashed on my LGv20 phone. As soon as it crashed my DJI pro took off across the lake never to be seen again and DJI will not replace it.

I also paid for the extra protection, still DJI refused to replace it.

"I also paid for the extra protection, still DJI refused to replace it."

I thought if you have the added care protection they would surely replace the drone, that's the biggest selling point of the protection, i mean what good is it when you pay extra for it and still get nothing.
What was their reason for denying?
2020-1-2
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules