Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Which X5S Lens is worth purchasing as a secondary?
1614 16 2017-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RgrDat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 680679 ft
United States
Offline

I'm sure you guys can help me with this as it's simple (and probably already answered) question.... Other than landscape photography/cinematography, can anyone recommend one of the compatible lenses that work with the Xenmuse X5S?  I have no problem with prime lenses as they generally produce sharper images (vs Zoom lenses).  I'm well aware that it's all going to depend one what I'm using it for, but that's just it...I'm not exactly sure yet.  Like most people, I love landscape photography, but I also am in the process of making my first short film wich has as many, if not more, shots from near ground level.  I'm going to be filming people and objects within 30-40 ft of me (but often closer).  I suppose what I'm asking is about which of that short list of compatible lenses would be the best compliment to the kit lens that the X5S comes with?  Or, maybe a better question, if you were going to purchase one more lens for your X5S, which of those lenses is the best (in your opinion) if you are only going to have the 2 of them?

I hope this makes sense and also that you realize that I'm not a pro (nor do I claim to be), so if I said something incorrect or I'm asking a dumb question I appologize.  I imagine a pro gets a lens because they have a specific shot in mind.  I, however, am not and do not.  I'm also not likely to buy it for a few weeks at a minimum anyway, so I was hoping to get an idea of what you guys like so I can start the review process on my end.  

Thanks in advance for the help and I look forward to hearing what you guys have to say.  

***Any picture examples you would like to provide would be more than appreciated***

...that is all, carry on.
2017-4-24
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
Flight distance : 17145948 ft
  • >>>
Singapore
Offline

The 45mm prime works very well with the Inspire 2 and really gives a different perspective from the usual wide angle lenses.

I was hesitant to try it on because of my experience with micro vibrations on the Inspire 1 platform (where it is recommended for still work only though some have successfully shot nice footage off it)

On the I2, the steadiness of the shots is remarkable and you get so close to the object it seems voyeuristic!
2017-4-24
Use props
Gybo102
First Officer
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States
Offline

I agree with Mike! I love the 45mm. i mainly use the Olympus 12mm and 45mm for 90% of everything. The Oly 25mm fills in the other 10%.
Just make sure you have some good ND to keep shutter speed where it needs to be, but then again... that applies to all lenses  
I used the 45mm for all but one shot on this video. (12mm for the wide)
2017-4-24
Use props
redoliver
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1698117 ft
  • >>>
Russia
Offline

What ND are you using?
2017-4-24
Use props
Cobra44Magnum
First Officer
Flight distance : 935135 ft
United States
Offline

I'm glad you asked this, RgrDat. Same question I have. I was already leaning heavily towards the 45mm lens noted above. This makes that purchase even more inevitable. I have a friend that does some professional photography/videography (also my cameraman) and this is the lens he recommends, especially if you are only going to get one additional lens.
2017-4-24
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States
Offline


When I get a 45mm I plan to get a 46mm diameter 3-stop and 6-stop ND from these guys:  https://breakthrough.photography/products/x4-neutral-density/

I have the large 100mm square Lee set (i.e. The Big Stopper & Little Stopper/10-stop & 6-stop respectively.) but they do suffer a bluish color shift and a bit of sharpness loss on my DSLR so these guys seem to address both those faults and seem to be top of the ND pyramid for now in reviews.

They now have a 46mm diameter filter as they used to only go down to 49mm.   You need the step-up 37mm to 46mm ring though which is cheap.
2017-4-24
Use props
Mike-the-cat
Captain
Flight distance : 17145948 ft
  • >>>
Singapore
Offline

Gybo102 Posted at 2017-4-24 03:17
I agree with Mike! I love the 45mm. i mainly use the Olympus 12mm and 45mm for 90% of everything. The Oly 25mm fills in the other 10%.
Just make sure you have some good ND to keep shutter speed where it needs to be, but then again... that applies to all lenses  
I used the 45mm for all but one shot on this video. (12mm for the wide)

The train sequence was spectacular but who'd ever thought you could make a dumpster going about its work look sexy.... wow! Thanks for sharing ...
2017-4-24
Use props
Gybo102
First Officer
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States
Offline


I have both B+W  and Tiffen filters for 46mm and 37mm in .6 / .9 / 1.8 variants. I got the 1.8 recently due to the first I2 update that locked the ISO in D-Log at 500. One day I may need it.
2017-4-24
Use props
Flightgeist
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1347192 ft
United States
Offline

Gybo102 Posted at 2017-4-24 03:17
I agree with Mike! I love the 45mm. i mainly use the Olympus 12mm and 45mm for 90% of everything. The Oly 25mm fills in the other 10%.
Just make sure you have some good ND to keep shutter speed where it needs to be, but then again... that applies to all lenses  
I used the 45mm for all but one shot on this video. (12mm for the wide)

Love how smooth this is, but footage also looks slightly slowed down. Did you shoot at 60fps and slow to 24 or 30?
2017-4-24
Use props
Gybo102
First Officer
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States
Offline

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-4-24 06:35
When I get a 45mm I plan to get a 46mm diameter 3-stop and 6-stop ND from these guys:  https://breakthrough.photography/products/x4-neutral-density/

I have the large 100mm square Lee set (i.e. The Big Stopper & Little Stopper/10-stop & 6-stop respectively.) but they do suffer a bluish color shift and a bit of sharpness loss on my DSLR so these guys seem to address both those faults and seem to be top of the ND pyramid for now in reviews.

you may want to stay with 37mm filters for the 45mm lens. using a big filter with step up rings (I would imagine) will be too heavy and throw off the balance.

I use this one 80% of the time.. no noticeable color shift.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... e?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2017-4-24
Use props
Gybo102
First Officer
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States
Offline

Flightgeist Posted at 2017-4-24 09:05
Love how smooth this is, but footage also looks slightly slowed down. Did you shoot at 60fps and slow to 24 or 30?

I Intentionally slowed it past 50% of original speed.
Original footage 4k 60fps DNG Raw, put on a 30fps timeline, brought it down to 35/40% of original speed. I was curious how the footage would do... and used FCPX Optical Flow to generate frames.
2017-4-24
Use props
Gybo102
First Officer
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States
Offline

Mike-the-cat Posted at 2017-4-24 07:25
The train sequence was spectacular but who'd ever thought you could make a dumpster going about its work look sexy.... wow! Thanks for sharing ...

Thanks, totally agreed on dump truck footage, I was blown away with how it came out. Thanks for the comments.
2017-4-24
Use props
RgrDat
lvl.3
Flight distance : 680679 ft
United States
Offline

Wow, I expected to go about my day and come back to one, maybe two responses.  Needless to say, I am pleasantly surprised.  Thanks for all the feedback.  My wife would probably kill me knowing that I'm already asking about additional lenses after spending as much money as I did on the I2 recently.  But what she doesn't know won't hurt her.  Anyway, I like the idea of having the 45mm view of things.  I'm not a huge fan of the giant swarm of bee's these things sound like (not the I2 specifically, but drones in general) and will take any extra length I can get.  Not to mention, it's just better sometimes to get tighter shots.

I noticed the slight ND filter tangent. Now I'm curious, what filters would you guys recommend for the X5S?  Not ND 4 vs 32, I mean what "brand" (for lack of a better word)?  I ask because I have actually only seen one set of 3 and one set of 6 for sale on B&H, both from Polar Pro I think.  I'm assuming there are plenty of others out there, where would you recommend I look?  

Anyway, that is all...carry on.
2017-4-24
Use props
Gybo102
First Officer
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States
Offline

RgrDat Posted at 2017-4-24 12:14
Wow, I expected to go about my day and come back to one, maybe two responses.  Needless to say, I am pleasantly surprised.  Thanks for all the feedback.  My wife would probably kill me knowing that I'm already asking about additional lenses after spending as much money as I did on the I2 recently.  But what she doesn't know won't hurt her.  Anyway, I like the idea of having the 45mm view of things.  I'm not a huge fan of the giant swarm of bee's these things sound like (not the I2 specifically, but drones in general) and will take any extra length I can get.  Not to mention, it's just better sometimes to get tighter shots.

I noticed the slight ND filter tangent. Now I'm curious, what filters would you guys recommend for the X5S?  Not ND 4 vs 32, I mean what "brand" (for lack of a better word)?  I ask because I have actually only seen one set of 3 and one set of 6 for sale on B&H, both from Polar Pro I think.  I'm assuming there are plenty of others out there, where would you recommend I look?  

I use B+W and Tiffen. I have not "noticed" any  color cast, the B+W are a tad heavier then the Tiffen. I would say you can save a few bucks an be within the weight you need and get tiffen ND filters.

they are about half the cost of B+W
https://www.amazon.com/gp/produc ... ge?ie=UTF8&th=1
2017-4-24
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States
Offline

Gybo102 Posted at 2017-4-24 09:33
you may want to stay with 37mm filters for the 45mm lens. using a big filter with step up rings (I would imagine) will be too heavy and throw off the balance.

I use this one 80% of the time.. no noticeable color shift.

Too late.  I already ordered the ND 3 and 6 stop pair from Breakthrough. $288 and no sales tax (Same state too!?) or shipping and the shipping thing is already in process with a tracking number.

The standard DJI lens (15mm f/1.7 ) with the X5S takes a 46mm filter so I went to local camera shop and got a thin $5 Dotline aluminum step-up 37mm to 46mm for the 45mm Olympus lens.  The step-ring is very light and the ones ordered seem very thin so maybe not much gimbal weight with them either.  The Breakthroughs look to be half the thickness of my B+W so maybe they are lighter overall.  I'll weigh them when they show up to see.

I'm way ahead of schedule doing this though sans any lens.
2017-4-24
Use props
Gybo102
First Officer
Flight distance : 2426230 ft
United States
Offline

fansa84fe8a4 Posted at 2017-4-24 14:44
Too late.  I already ordered the ND 3 and 6 stop pair from Breakthrough. $288 and no sales tax (Same state too!?) or shipping and the shipping thing is already in process with a tracking number.

The standard DJI lens (15mm f/1.7 ) with the X5S takes a 46mm filter so I went to local camera shop and got a thin $5 Dotline aluminum step-up 37mm to 46mm for the 45mm Olympus lens.  The step-ring is very light and the ones ordered seem very thin so maybe not much gimbal weight with them either.  The Breakthroughs look to be half the thickness of my B+W so maybe they are lighter overall.  I'll weigh them when they show up to see.

Please dont forget, its not only about the weight, you will be moving the weight away from the gimbal which increases the chance for unbalance.
$288.. for 2 filters? please tell me thats a typo?!
I dont think I have spent half that on the 8 filters I have for all the lenses I fly on my I2
2017-4-24
Use props
fansa84fe8a4
First Officer
Flight distance : 3 ft
United States
Offline

Gybo102 Posted at 2017-4-24 17:50
Please dont forget, its not only about the weight, you will be moving the weight away from the gimbal which increases the chance for unbalance.
$288.. for 2 filters? please tell me thats a typo?!
I dont think I have spent half that on the 8 filters I have for all the lenses I fly on my I2

Actually, the Olympus 45mm shows it needs a 6 gram balance ring (DJI Part #BR-037-6) installed on the filter.  So the Step-up + 46mm filter might do it and maybe a small weight on the back - maybe.  Some of that I got off the Inspire site here:  http://www.inspirepilots.com/thr ... ncing-thread.14558/

And yes, the two ND filters are $288.00 for the pair (3 stop and 6 stop.) in 46mm size.  They have a white paper on them here:  White Paper on X4 ND Filters  Only ones that come close are the Singh-Ray Mor-Slo which is more expensive (The S-R 5 stop ND is $250 in the 49mm size which is as small as they go in diameter as well as density.).

I'll weigh the step ring and ND filter when they show up.  I doubt if it is too heavy given how thin they both are.

2017-4-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules