Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Does the DJI Goggle head tracking function work with the P4
12Next >
9492 63 2017-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jwt-873
lvl.4
Flight distance : 6754350 ft
Canada

I've browsed most of the information on the new DJI goggles, but can't seem to find anything on whether or not the active head tracking works on the P4..   In the demos, they show the Mavic.   Does head tracking work with the regular P4, or do you need a Pro or Advanced model ?

2017-4-24
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

Yes it does.
2017-4-24
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Guernsey

DJI Joe
Off topic but will it work with the supposed new P4 firmware?
When it expected?
2017-4-24
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

StephenGSY Posted at 2017-4-24 09:47
DJI Joe
Off topic but will it work with the supposed new P4 firmware?
When it expected?

Not sure when the ETA is, but new firmware won't disable this functionality.
2017-4-24
Use props
StephenGSY
lvl.3
Flight distance : 814232 ft
Guernsey

{:4_142:}
Need to hurry it along it's getting to be a long process.
2017-4-24
Use props
avprTKfOatJs
New
Flight distance : 15659 ft
United States

compatible with P3 standard?
2017-4-24
Use props
DJI Joe
Captain

United States

avprTKfOatJs Posted at 2017-4-24 12:39

Head tracking, I don't believe so.
2017-4-24
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Snapshot from the goggles manual:-

Goggles function support list - Copy.png
2017-4-24
Use props
Ticric
lvl.2
Canada

Hi djijoe , I just read this post and saw in the manual of the goggle , that the p4 is supported , but there's an error cause we don't have have all this mode in the p4 ex: tapfly !  Do I need to order the goggle to have these mode enabled ?it will be cool to have these mode , if it's the case , I will order the goggle now!
2017-5-9
Use props
Floreto
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3591102 ft
United States

When flying with a P4P do you have to connect the goggles to the controller with a cable?
2017-5-9
Use props
Ticric
lvl.2
Canada

any answer from someone at dji to my post in #9?
2017-5-10
Use props
BouldersDad
lvl.3
Flight distance : 872448 ft
United States

Maybe I'm reading something wrong, but I'm not sure how you would connect a P3 Standard.
The goggles, for all intents and purposes, replace your phone/tablet. On the P3S, the phone/tablet connects via WiFi, not a cable.
The only model capable of connecting to the goggles wirelessly is the Mavic.
2017-5-12
Use props
beeper
lvl.4
Australia

Won't be buying these goggles until the new flight modes are added to the phantom 4. When will this be happening DJI ???
2017-5-19
Use props
Aardvark
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The goggles manual today has been amended, this indicates that head tracking will no longer work with the P4 at present.
2017-5-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Ticric Posted at 2017-5-9 03:45
Hi djijoe , I just read this post and saw in the manual of the goggle , that the p4 is supported , but there's an error cause we don't have have all this mode in the p4 ex: tapfly !  Do I need to order the goggle to have these mode enabled ?it will be cool to have these mode , if it's the case , I will order the goggle now!

The P4 does have Tap Fly, but currently functions like Tripod, Terrain Follow etc aren't available.
2017-5-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Aardvark Posted at 2017-5-19 10:09
The goggles manual today has been amended, this indicates that head tracking will no longer work with the P4 at present.

I was going to mention that, this is the most current chart with the available functions:
Current Goggles Flight Mode Spec.JPG

2017-5-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

BouldersDad Posted at 2017-5-12 05:28
Maybe I'm reading something wrong, but I'm not sure how you would connect a P3 Standard.
The goggles, for all intents and purposes, replace your phone/tablet. On the P3S, the phone/tablet connects via WiFi, not a cable.
The only model capable of connecting to the goggles wirelessly is the Mavic.

You are correct, the P3S and the P34K cannot use the Goggles due to their solely WiFi connectivity. The Mavic connects to the wirelessly via OccuSync. The only P3 models that could use the Goggles are the P3A and the P3P when you install the HDMI module.
2017-5-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

beeper Posted at 2017-5-19 01:49
Won't be buying these goggles until the new flight modes are added to the phantom 4. When will this be happening DJI ???

Unfortunately, there isn't an ETA at this time.
2017-5-19
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2576972 ft
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-19 12:26
Unfortunately, there isn't an ETA at this time.

Will both head flight and gimbal tracking be possible with the P4 at some point for sure, or is the appearance of these features not guarunteed?
2017-5-19
Use props
tokenbrit
Second Officer
Flight distance : 384094 ft
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-19 12:24
I was going to mention that, this is the most current chart with the available functions:
[view_image]

Hmmmm - the day I buy the goggles,the P4 has full functionality - the day the goggles ship - the functionality is gone - what happened in-between please?
2017-5-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

microlinux Posted at 2017-5-19 12:30
Will both head flight and gimbal tracking be possible with the P4 at some point for sure, or is the appearance of these features not guarunteed?

From what I understand, the  firmware update that's necessary for the P4 to use those features wasn't discarded, but we do not have a new ETA for the firmware either. If you have the P4 now and wanted the Goggles strictly for that head tracking function, I would hold off on getting them until the feature comes out for them. Store availablility would most likely be better as well.

Currently, all the P4's other functions will work when used with the Goggles. If the head/gimbal tracking was a 'plus' and just wanted to have that FPV Goggle experience then the purchase of the DJI Goggles would still be valid.
2017-5-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

tokenbrit Posted at 2017-5-19 12:46
Hmmmm - the day I buy the goggles,the P4 has full functionality - the day the goggles ship - the functionality is gone - what happened in-between please?

I can only speculate that there were some unforseen delays with the necessary P4 firmware update for those functions. Unfortunately there's no other information on this currently.
2017-5-19
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-19 13:43
From what I understand, the  firmware update that's necessary for the P4 to use those features wasn't discarded, but we do not have a new ETA for the firmware either. If you have the P4 now and wanted the Goggles strictly for that head tracking function, I would hold off on getting them until the feature comes out for them. Store availablility would most likely be better as well.

Currently, all the P4's other functions will work when used with the Goggles. If the head/gimbal tracking was a 'plus' and just wanted to have that FPV Goggle experience then the purchase of the DJI Goggles would still be valid.

Thanks for the info, I can appreciate you may not be privy to every detail.  

Is there someone at DJI who could at least definitively say if there is a possibility the head-tracking features might never make it to the P4?

Head-tracking is much of the appeal to me. If it will definitely be supported in the current generation at -some- point, that goes towards the timing of when I would buy them. Live view alone has appeal, but less so if that's all I might have until the next drone.
2017-5-19
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

microlinux Posted at 2017-5-19 15:20
Thanks for the info, I can appreciate you may not be privy to every detail.  

Is there someone at DJI who could at least definitively say if there is a possibility the head-tracking features might never make it to the P4?

I can try and see if there's a better difinitive than what I provided, but it would take some time since we're going into the weekend.
2017-5-19
Use props
beeper
lvl.4
Australia

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-19 13:43

Hi Jamie
If you new goggles are not going to provide head tracking for the phantom 4 then why remove head tracking that was working when using the Avegant Glyph googles. This function was removed by DJI on the 24th of April. This is totally wrong and DJI needs to sort this crap out. Your customers will rebel.
2017-5-20
Use props
tokenbrit
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-19 13:45
I can only speculate that there were some unforseen delays with the necessary P4 firmware update for those functions. Unfortunately there's no other information on this currently.

Thank you Jaimie - hopefully this will be sorted soon
2017-5-20
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-19 16:49
I can try and see if there's a better difinitive than what I provided, but it would take some time since we're going into the weekend.

That would be much appreciated, thanks!
2017-5-20
Use props
michal2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 217487 ft
Poland

HI. I'd like to bump the subject. I just received my goggles and connected them to my P4. My situation is same - when ordered the manual stated that head tracking is supported on P4, when they were shipped - no more. Although head tracking options (gimbal and flight) are available  (goggle firmware 01.03.0800) however moving my head doesn't do anything. If anyone has any info on the possible firmware upgrade ETA I'd be grateful. DJI support/chat say that new version of DJI GO 4 app might solve the issue, however they do not sound convincing.
2017-6-14
Use props
microlinux
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Allegedly there is a firmware update coming "soon" for the P4, but there no details regarding when or what it will enable. Head tracking may or may not be supported, spin the wheel of firmware. The Go 4 line you were fed is nonsense.
2017-6-14
Use props
Wpgubaru
lvl.3
Flight distance : 254646 ft
Canada

So to be clear they will eventually release this firmware for the p4 to have head tracking right? I am same boat. But still it will be considered fpv. I just hope head tracking will be unlocked this year...
2017-6-16
Use props
chiupolini
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1196755 ft
Hong Kong

Until there is a further firmware upgrade, I would stick to the HDMI connection between the DJI goggles and the Phantom 4 - that is if P4 is the drone you have. I connected my newly arrived goggles with the P4 through USB which was supposed to allow you to access various functions including head tracking built into the goggles. What I experienced was that when I turned my head in the middle of a flight to 10 o'clock, the P4 did not respond at first. When later it responded, it was losing control and spinned left all the way and stopped only at about 5 to 6 o'clock. When I turned my head right again, after about 3 seconds the drone yawed to right but way more than the turn of my head. And from then on the drone's movement became unpreditable. What is worse, the sticks on my controller were also losing control of the drone and I had to switch off my goggles to regain control of the drone with my contorller. As the USB connection was in use, I could not use the smart device and the DJI Go 4 App was not there to help.

In any event I think the Head Up Display in the DJI goggles when you connect it to the P4 with a USB cable lack two important indicators, (1) the signal strength of the drone and (2) the video downlink.  If one uses the HDMI cable connection, although you cannot access the various functions (partial as that may be),  the Head Up Display does contain all the important information you need to know. And you have access to the smart phone (which is connected to the USB cable with the controller as usual) and you can adjust everything using the DJI Go 4 App in any event.

My suggestion is that one should not use USB connection with Phantom 4 - at least until there is a firmware upgrade.  The DJI Goggle is really built for Marvic Pro.
2017-6-17
Use props
fanse9bc6608
Second Officer
Flight distance : 134590 ft
United States

It would be good if someone from DJI could clarify the situation with head tracking support for Phantom 4 (non-PRO version). When I ordered my Goggles on 05/15/2017, it was clearly stated everywhere that it is supported, but I quickly learned otherwise yesterday after finally receiving the package. This is a deal breaker and with 14 days return window, I and anyone else in my situational would appreciate a timely update...
2017-6-17
Use props
BVB
lvl.2
Flight distance : 484652 ft
United States

fanse9bc6608 Posted at 2017-6-17 08:48
It would be good if someone from DJI could clarify the situation with head tracking support for Phantom 4 (non-PRO version). When I ordered my Goggles on 05/15/2017, it was clearly stated everywhere that it is supported, but I quickly learned otherwise yesterday after finally receiving the package. This is a deal breaker and with 14 days return window, I and anyone else in my situational would appreciate a timely update...

I am in the same situation. I ordered the goggles right away after reading the DJI specified compatability with my Phantom 4. It clearly stated that head tracking would be functional on the P4. I paid them and received my goggles. Then I was informed that the head tracking might work after an alleged firmware update which has yet to come. This is classic Bait n Switch BUT because it is an international business and the fact that no one is willing to take DJI's unfair and arguably unethical business practices to their state or federal level, and add in that the "technology" is so very new and keeps everyone guessing' along with the desperate "hopefuls a.k.a suckers, that we may actually get that carrot (myself unfortunately included), DJI will continue to rule the playing field and take our money for products and promises that look great on paper and are actually only partially developed while promising that "something better will be coming soon....and by the way....thanks for your hard earned money, we'll get back to you". We all want to believe these are simply "errors" within DJI's marketing but I'm convinced they are focused on blasting forward with their next greatest widget and they quickly abandon anything that requires them to "fix
2017-6-17
Use props
Wpgubaru
lvl.3
Canada

chiupolini Posted at 2017-6-17 08:41
Until there is a further firmware upgrade, I would stick to the HDMI connection between the DJI goggles and the Phantom 4 - that is if P4 is the drone you have. I connected my newly arrived goggles with the P4 through USB which was supposed to allow you to access various functions including head tracking built into the goggles. What I experienced was that when I turned my head in the middle of a flight to 10 o'clock, the P4 did not respond at first. When later it responded, it was losing control and spinned left all the way and stopped only at about 5 to 6 o'clock. When I turned my head right again, after about 3 seconds the drone yawed to right but way more than the turn of my head. And from then on the drone's movement became unpreditable. What is worse, the sticks on my controller were also losing control of the drone and I had to switch off my goggles to regain control of the drone with my contorller. As the USB connection was in use, I could not use the smart device and the DJI Go 4 App was not there to help.

In any event I think the Head Up Display in the DJI goggles when you connect it to the P4 with a USB cable lack two important indicators, (1) the signal strength of the drone and (2) the video downlink.  If one uses the HDMI cable connection, although you cannot access the various functions (partial as that may be),  the Head Up Display does contain all the important information you need to know. And you have access to the smart phone (which is connected to the USB cable with the controller as usual) and you can adjust everything using the DJI Go 4 App in any event.

Only way to get hdmi is if you buy the module. The p4 regular doesn't have hdmi stock...
2017-6-19
Use props
Wpgubaru
lvl.3
Canada

And yes Same situation here too, as soon as I got my goggles here in Canada, poof no head tracking for the phantom 4 non-pro/advanced. Dji I'm not a programmer but it shouldn't be hard nor take long for your programmers who do firmware to get the feature working as promised! I wanted to goggles so I could use my drone in well lit areas as your new software prevented me from using my ipad4 tablet! If this keeps up im going to sell everything which is sad because your products are kick ass.
2017-6-19
Use props
Wpgubaru
lvl.3
Canada

Some of us aren't rich!
2017-6-19
Use props
Duchunter
lvl.4
United States

Its painfully obvious that the p4 is fully capable of head tracking. If you can do on litchi then there is no real reason that it wont work with the go4 app. The ONLY reason you cant head track with the p4 is because they want you to upgrade hardware. It was a marketing decision to remove head tracking with the p4. The p4 has been discontinued. They dont want new hardware working with old hardware. The same reason terrain follow, tripod mode, ect arent available with the p4. Its not because it cant do it, litchi has proven that it can and will. Its because they are not releasing new technology for old hardware. New features means new equipment. Welcome to dji's world! I wouldnt hold my breath for head tracking. They wont say one way or another cause they dont want you returning your goggles but you will never see head tracking thru the go4 app with a p4, mark my words.
2017-6-19
Use props
Dnerve
lvl.3
Flight distance : 523799 ft
Ireland

Duchunter Posted at 2017-6-19 17:33
Its painfully obvious that the p4 is fully capable of head tracking. If you can do on litchi then there is no real reason that it wont work with the go4 app. The ONLY reason you cant head track with the p4 is because they want you to upgrade hardware. It was a marketing decision to remove head tracking with the p4. The p4 has been discontinued. They dont want new hardware working with old hardware. The same reason terrain follow, tripod mode, ect arent available with the p4. Its not because it cant do it, litchi has proven that it can and will. Its because they are not releasing new technology for old hardware. New features means new equipment. Welcome to dji's world! I wouldnt hold my breath for head tracking. They wont say one way or another cause they dont want you returning your goggles but you will never see head tracking thru the go4 app with a p4, mark my words.

Yes, I tend to agree, have a read on THIS THREAD that sadly pretty much sums up everything that is said here and more...
2017-6-19
Use props
tokenbrit
Second Officer
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-19 13:45

Any update please Jamie?
2017-6-20
Use props
Wpgubaru
lvl.3
Canada

This sickens me dji....
2017-6-20
Use props
12Next >
Advanced