IPad Air2 Map cache?
4646 20 2015-3-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mjdflying
lvl.1

United States

Can someone please help me, I am trying to figure out how to cache google maps on my new Air2 with the Wi-Fi only version.

I am new to Apple products and I wasn't aware until now that the Wi-Fi only does not have gps locating without the cellular service.
After doing some internet searching they claim if you type "Ok Maps" in the search browser that your current map will be saved for off line use.
However, every time I try that I just get directed to the State of Oklahoma, not sure what's going on here.
2015-3-4
Use props
jani.tuomilehto
lvl.2
Finland

I'm not sure if I get the question but I have wifi only Air and in my opinion I do have GPS when not on wifi range and cellular service has nothing to do with this

What you need to do is to turn on "Cache Maps" on DJI app. While in wifi range just go to DJI app map mode and browse through map of area you intend to fly and map is automatically saved. Then on location it will automatically show your location on saved map. When I cache (eg browse) maps in app I always zoom to lowest level to get most detailed maps for that certain area
2015-3-4
Use props
Mjdflying
lvl.1

United States

jani.tuomilehto Posted at 2015-3-5 02:02
I'm not sure if I get the question but I have wifi only Air and in my opinion I do have GPS when not ...

Thank you for your reply, I confirmed that "Cache Maps" is on in my DJI app. I also browsed my next location and zoomed in as you suggested. When I arrived on location it just show a blank map with no references.

Some other members were saying that the IPad without cellular service will not receive map data and uses Google maps for that data. Just trying to figure out what I have to do to have maps for different locations before I leave my Wi-Fi zone. I could always use this Air2 for the second controller and buy another if I have to with connectivity. But trying to pre-cache my locations did not work for me on this current Air2.  
2015-3-4
Use props
Koavog
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1359800 ft
United States

You can connect your iPad to your cell phone via personal hotspot. This will load the map, but before you fly disconnect hotspot. Just in case of RF interference. Although, I've forgotten to disconnect the hotspot before flight, and it didn't seem to affect controller or video signal. But, you never know....
2015-3-4
Use props
jani.tuomilehto
lvl.2

Mjdflying Posted at 2015-3-5 04:11
Thank you for your reply, I confirmed that "Cache Maps" is on in my DJI app. I also browsed my nex ...

Haven't flown my Inspire in couple of weeks due weather so haven't updated firmware nor app if there's been updates in the mean while. I am 100% sure this worked earlier as I described with cached maps

I personally don't use hotspot and have iPad air on "Airplane more" in order to avoid (possible) interferense from wifi too and as said it used to work at least

Just to confirm: Did you browse maps in DJI app map function?
2015-3-5
Use props
DJI-Autumn
lvl.4

Hong Kong

As far as I know the map could saved automatically when the "cache maps" is on in app, but you must zoom to lowest level (Until you could see every detail).
I'll give it a try tomorrow.
2015-3-5
Use props
Mjdflying
lvl.1

United States

jani.tuomilehto Posted at 2015-3-5 17:25
Haven't flown my Inspire in couple of weeks due weather so haven't updated firmware nor app if the ...

Yes, I used the DJI app for browsing my next location, I also zoomed all the way to the lowest level.

I have done several local flights close to my home out of Wi-Fi range and the maps are cached. This time I made a trip to do some filming 5 hours from home. Before I left, I went to the travel location in the DJI app and zoomed in plus tried to cover a couple of miles either way while zooming in and I got nothing but a blank screen at my location when I arrived.

We still filmed and got some great shots, all gps flight functions worked it was just a blank map screen with no data.  
2015-3-5
Use props
thumpinhard
lvl.2

United States

i have the same issue and today when i got home i found the area i flew now shows up when i try it at home. it seems like it is blank when in the area and the later(afar caching) it shows the previous area.
  i did turn on the wifi and used my phone as mobile hotspot which works for my android. then i put  the mac mini 2 in airplane mode and turn off the hot spot before flight.
   i am using an android for the camera..now i am considering using the danged android for the flight controller and the mac mini for the camera control..anybody else try using android and i pad..etc?
2015-3-7
Use props
Mjdflying
lvl.1

United States

thumpinhard Posted at 2015-3-8 14:54
i have the same issue and today when i got home i found the area i flew now shows up when i try it a ...

I am thinking about doing the same thing, I still don't understand how these guys are getting maps cached before they fly on the IPads. Without any connectivity it's not working for me.
2015-3-9
Use props
thumpinhard
lvl.2

United States

i have flown again and have tried to cache maps,my iPad mini2 has trouble displaying the current area i am in even if i use my phone in the area i am flying and use mobile hotspot. i have to turn my iPad off and on and then it works. i have no issue with my droid device so i am sure it is a setting. and yes,it is set to cache maps. it always shows the last area that i was at and when i go home it will display the area i was just at..i need to search and figure it out..danged apple is not as simple and intuitive as android..sorry apple fans. i have lots of apple products and still struggle with all of them.
2015-3-15
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Make sure you have the compass lock turned off (the lock will not appear on the icon) and the map can update freely. This will allow the map cache to update correctly and it will be available when you are not connected to Wi-Fi.
2015-3-15
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Great info here as Im having issues as well cacheing maps....Where is the cache map setting in the app ???
I cant seem to find that or the compass lock so to turn that off as well .
Ugh.....
Other than that all works well and look forward to hearing from those in the know on this asap ..ty.
2015-5-4
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-3-16 01:14
Make sure you have the compass lock turned off (the lock will not appear on the icon) and the map ca ...

Great info here as Im having issues as well cacheing maps....Where is the cache map setting in the app ???
I cant seem to find that or the compass lock so to turn that off as well .
Ugh.....
Other than that all works well and look forward to hearing from those in the know on this asap ..ty.
2015-5-4
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-5-4 23:21
Great info here as Im having issues as well cacheing maps....Where is the cache map setting in the ...

Well I wanted to add some photos and couldn't figure out how to do it? They have made some changes to the forum...

1> Look at the map view and the compass is located second icon from the upper right side. The circle is grey and the needle is half red and half blue. Tap this with your finger and the yellow lock will appear to lock the map screen from moving with the iPad movement.
2> Map cache is found under the general settings. tap on the gear icon on the top right corner (shaped like a gear). keep paging down until you come to the Mag category and the third item in the list is: Cache Map In The Background.. turn on the slider to the right (green).  That's it you are all good.

I would have shown this with photos, but guess I will need to have someone report on how this is done with the last forum update....
Rich
2015-5-4
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-5-5 09:05
Well I wanted to add some photos and couldn't figure out how to do it? They have made some changes ...

Rich ..That did the trick and many Ty's to you my friend!!
Funny I have been a bit busy and came back to not recognize this forum and still no PM feature..

Ty again Suh!
2015-5-5
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Well I wanted to add some photos and couldn't figure out how to do it? They have made some changes ...

One note: The android app doesn't have the toggle for caching maps ...Just found that out and went to the I pad mini and found it .
Is it me or is the apple app is a bit more complete than the android sure looks it.
Funny a new pilot app for android is out I haven't updated yet to see if this feature has been added. Interesting but par for the coarse with this system.
I need to catch up on my reading here

2015-5-5
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-5-6 06:51
One note: The android app doesn't have the toggle for caching maps ...Just found that out and went ...

When I spoke with DJI support in LA, they said that some of the features did not show up in some of the Android devices (check the approved list). Maybe the new update will turn on some of these features for the other androids!

I am still waiting for the new iOS update to come online....

Rich
2015-5-5
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-5-6 04:39
Rich ..That did the trick and many Ty's to you my friend!!
Funny I have been a bit busy and came  ...

Great, I would have used some screen shots but can't figure out how to post photos since the forum was updated.....

Rich
2015-5-5
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2015-5-6 09:49
When I spoke with DJI support in LA, they said that some of the features did not show up in some o ...

That make perfect sense I'm running a android Galaxy s4 tablet if I remember right, but happy I had the I pad mini around.
TY Rich makes perfect sense and I hope the new app for android is complete as this android tablet was on the compatible list a while back maybe that has changed. Man its not easy keeping up with DJI and its revisions ...lol

Looks like I run the apple app in the mini till this is cleared up. TY again for the I info your the best .
2015-5-6
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-5-7 02:42
That make perfect sense I'm running a android Galaxy s4 tablet if I remember right, but happy I ha ...

Hey my friend, I am glad to help. The new app version has been released to the Apple store.... Some nice changes and the menu system is much better (more logical to navigate)

Rich
2015-5-6
Use props
BRENT1956
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3686975 ft
United States

When I tap the red/blue icon, my red aircraft arrow points in wrong direction and I can't fly FPV, when unlocked the map turns when i rotate the ipad, but at least the arrow point in the direction of the P3P. It never did this till updated latest firmware and switched fron Android Tab to IOS Tab, any thoughts? Thanks
2015-10-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules