How to set white balance with ND filter?
3277 3 2017-4-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

Hello,

Was wondering how do you set your white balance, use preset or actually use a white card?
And what would be the correct procedure to set a white balance in case I use a ND filter?
Thanks

2017-4-24
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

I'm having the Taco ND filters, typical using ND8 or ND16.
Colour cast can be noticed but is very hard to adjust on screen if I use Dlog.. this is the profile I most often do use.
Tips and tricks ?
2017-4-25
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1482175 ft
United States

A neutral density filter should not affect color. That's why it's called a NEUTRAL density filter. It just reduces the amount of light going into the sensor. To set white balance I would just change it to what "looks right" as you can always change it later. If you have an android phone this is a great app: https://play.google.com/store/ap ... ia.camera&hl=en
2017-4-25
Use props
JaseUK
lvl.3
United Kingdom

geofox784 Posted at 2017-4-25 06:31
A neutral density filter should not affect color. That's why it's called a NEUTRAL density filter. It just reduces the amount of light going into the sensor. To set white balance I would just change it to what "looks right" as you can always change it later. If you have an android phone this is a great app: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=cassiopeia.camera&hl=en

It shouldn't as you say but it certainly can!  Generally on the lower end NDs 4,8,16 etc then its unlikely but the manufacturing quality can make a difference.  A color cast becomes more likely the higher the ND, you take a big stopper for instance that will amost certainly have a color cast.

Its all easy to correct in post anyway, what you don't want to do is use auto WB.
2017-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules