Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Propellor Flying Off
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

A quick observation. I have read previous posts of unexplained crashes, the Phantom fell from the sky, the Prop fell off. I read these posts that appear from time to time and I cannot fathom how that would happen. I think that I may have found the answer to these misfortunes and I have to attribute it to Pilot error and not a DJI malfunction. There is a very simple answer, so simple I can envision what may have happened in these past occurences. Probably not all but, certainly some. While peparing my new Phantom 4 Pro for it's maiden flight when it came time to check and prep the new supplied props some of the protective clear wrapping remained in the Prop Hub. Any amount of foreign material in the Hub will prevent the Prop from fully locking to the shaft of the motor. During your pre-flight check grasp the motor skirt and turn the prop in both directions without applying any downward pressure to ensure that the prop is locked to the motor.
2017-4-25
Use props
fans31f7c8b0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1360643 ft
United States

Thanks for sharing this, I had this problem with only one of my prop coming off during a flight.
2017-5-10
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Possible. Also do not use the dji carbon fiber props - even though they have composite hubs, they are way more slippery than stock plastic ones. I had a mishap, thankfully they are fixing it under warranty.
Preflight procedure is quite important to also make sure the props are double and triple checked. Never had an issue on my p3 adv, but on my p3 pro, with Cf prop, within few weeks!
As for the plastic wrapping, I assumed everyone would notice, but clearly it is something some may overlook!
2017-5-10
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-5-10 20:35
Possible. Also do not use the dji carbon fiber props - even though they have composite hubs, they are way more slippery than stock plastic ones. I had a mishap, thankfully they are fixing it under warranty.
Preflight procedure is quite important to also make sure the props are double and triple checked. Never had an issue on my p3 adv, but on my p3 pro, with Cf prop, within few weeks!
As for the plastic wrapping, I assumed everyone would notice, but clearly it is something some may overlook!

It isn't hard to overlook a piece of the protective wrap. Clear on glossy white is very transparent.
2017-5-13
Use props
Phantomski
lvl.4
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-5-13 03:24
It isn't hard to overlook a piece of the protective wrap. Clear on glossy white is very transparent.

oh, no question.. i bet there are many pple who did.
2017-5-19
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Phantomski Posted at 2017-5-19 12:50
oh, no question.. i bet there are many pple who did.

It is a simple thing to overlook. Especially for someone new and can't wait to get in the air.
2017-5-21
Use props
HARLEYSCOTTE
lvl.2
Flight distance : 53747 ft
United States

Unless the Prop is cracked or you put the wrong Prop on the wrong motor
2017-6-6
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

HARLEYSCOTTE Posted at 2017-6-6 06:15
Unless the Prop is cracked or you put the wrong Prop on the wrong motor

They are indexed, pretty hard to install the wrong prop on the wrong motor.
2017-6-8
Use props
HARLEYSCOTTE
lvl.2
United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-6-8 03:42
They are indexed, pretty hard to install the wrong prop on the wrong motor.

I got a new case where you can put the props on & leave them on, but sometimes the props loosen up in the case. Need to check them, also have DJI knock offs where the 9450s had a steel hub.
2017-6-17
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

HARLEYSCOTTE Posted at 2017-6-17 11:39
I got a new case where you can put the props on & leave them on, but sometimes the props loosen up in the case. Need to check them, also have DJI knock offs where the 9450s had a steel hub.

I have to ask, how do your props loosen up while in the case? Or is that not what you implied? I have a hard case too, and I also leave my props on. I have had them on for 6-months now and they never come loose.
2017-6-17
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

HARLEYSCOTTE Posted at 2017-6-17 11:39

Good habit to get into. I usually leave mine on as well, but, I still check them before flight.
2017-6-19
Use props
HARLEYSCOTTE
lvl.2
United States

RicardoGray Posted at 2017-6-17 13:13
I have to ask, how do your props loosen up while in the case? Or is that not what you implied? I have a hard case too, and I also leave my props on. I have had them on for 6-months now and they never come loose.

Really its my fault - I leave them on lose in case I take it out to do some indoor testing, so I put them on lose
just have to remember to tighten them up before I fly. I guess even if they were lose, stating the motor would tighten them up anyway?
2017-6-19
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

HARLEYSCOTTE Posted at 2017-6-19 08:58
Really its my fault - I leave them on lose in case I take it out to do some indoor testing, so I put them on lose
just have to remember to tighten them up before I fly. I guess even if they were lose, stating the motor would tighten them up anyway?

I understand now, and NO, don't think that they will tighten up by starting the motors. Just some advice here. What will happen, is yeah they might tighten up a bit, but when you go fly and are coming to a change of direction or trying to stop, the motors will slow-down "Braking actually", and the inertia of the fast spinning blades will cause them to spin right off in an instant and you're SOL at that point and it is coming down! You have to make sure they are on securely before you start anything up. Just my opinion, but pretty sure you are playing with fire here if you don't. Good luck!
2017-6-19
Use props
HARLEYSCOTTE
lvl.2
United States

Thanks I do (will) make sure they are tight, before I fly.
2017-6-19
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

HARLEYSCOTTE Posted at 2017-6-19 09:32
Thanks I do (will) make sure they are tight, before I fly.

They don't fly very well with three props
2017-6-20
Use props
HARLEYSCOTTE
lvl.2
United States

Rodger8 Posted at 2017-6-20 05:22
They don't fly very well with three props

LOL  I will take your word on that and not try to fly with 3 props
2017-6-21
Use props