How to get back to normal after my drone fell out of the sky?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
InThisLifeOrThe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4856 ft
United States

I am real shaky getting back into flying after my last one fell out of the sky due to a manufacturer defect. I really have a hard time trusting it and myself. I double check everything from correct battery to locked props to beginner settings for the time being. My location doesn't help really considering I live in the mountains. How do you get past the nervous feeling I am assuming that it's going to be a few flights? The first one back I didn't take it more than 4ft off the ground. The next flight I went up 80ft or so and was almost having a panic attack waiting for it to fall.

I was fine the first time I flew my mavic. I sold it because I wasn't liking it and I should know better than to buy the first gen of an item. I bought the P4P and on the first day after updates and charging it just fell out of the sky. I can't go more than 4-5ft without starting to shake and get really nervous. I don't have 2-3 weeks to be waiting for repairs nor $100's if not $1000's to be replacing these.
2017-4-25
Use props
Mr Pete
lvl.2
Flight distance : 404219 ft
United Kingdom

It's hard to overcome that nervous feeling as I've been there myself, you've got to trust the equipment. I know it's difficult have a read of my previous posts about my fall from the sky. The way I got back to flying was in ATTI mode around my garden
2017-4-26
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Nervous is normal.  It'll ease a bit with experience but it never really goes away.  
2017-4-26
Use props
RicardoGray
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

Sounds like you had an unfortunate experience. Sorry for that. But you have to put some trust in knowing that most of us have good results. If you are truly in fear or panic about losing your drone again, I understand, but you need to get over the hump or else just not put yourself through that. If it is not enjoyable for you, why do it? One thing I might offer is do you have a friend that you trust that might have a phantom or experience flying? If so, maybe they could check your equipment out for you and make sure everything is setup correctly and fly your aircraft for you to see. That might give you some comfort knowing your aircraft is ok. Just a thought. If you could see your aircraft performing the way it should under someone else's control, maybe your anxiety would go away. Best of luck to you. I hope you can regain your trust because you apparently enjoyed this sport at one time.
2017-4-26
Use props
nilmaster
lvl.4
Flight distance : 232707 ft
United States

To help get over the fear of flying get (State Farm Inc) will cost you about $30 to $60 per year and will cover everything.
2017-4-26
Use props
InThisLifeOrThe
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4856 ft
United States

nilmaster Posted at 2017-4-26 06:55
To help get over the fear of flying get (State Farm Inc) will cost you about $30 to $60 per year and will cover everything.

I have DJI Care refresh. I just haven't had the chance to enjoy the drone for more than 2-3 weeks at a time without something happening. I planned on using this for photography and Cinematography but it'll be awhile I suppose.
2017-4-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

InThisLifeOrThe Posted at 2017-4-26 08:05
I have DJI Care refresh. I just haven't had the chance to enjoy the drone for more than 2-3 weeks at a time without something happening. I planned on using this for photography and Cinematography but it'll be awhile I suppose.

Ok your probably afraid of loosing gps bad compass bad IMU , if these 3 things are working correctly you should have a good aircraft, and it should fly fine if your in a good environment that's safe to practice. You don't need to tinker with any of these unless you are prompted to do so.

Here's a tip for you.
Fire up your AC
Leave it to sit 30 seconds
Raise it up to 8 feet let it hover 30 sec
Fly forward 2 feet fly backward 2 feet left/right 2 feet each time returning to centre point
Up 2 feet down 2 feet returning to centre point
Yaw left yaw right again returning to centre point
If you AC performs these manoeuvres and returns to horizontal and is holding position.
You will then know you have good compass good gps and good IMU , your aircraft is in good shape for flying and if your happy with the environment then do a few easy manoeuvres and in no time you will regain confidence in your aircraft, and in your ability to control it.
Good luck my friend .
2017-4-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules