Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

dronist Posted at 2017-4-26 12:16
I flew fixed wing mode for hours and you won't see unless you do a VERY HARD banking, I mean HARD...
Otherwise you would NOT see the propellers at all when flying fixed wing mode even when you bank up or down.

Yes but he was met with a big gust of wind which also seemed to affect his compass. I haven't flown fixed wing so I'm not to sure how it operates.
2017-4-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans464488b9 Posted at 2017-4-26 12:23
The second time in fixed wing mode I stayed in it for several seconds and the final turn before the failure was a mild bank but I disabled it before that last altitude gain.

How strong was the wind, looks like you were side on to a strong wind.
2017-4-26
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 311358 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-26 12:47
How strong was the wind, looks like you were side on to a strong wind.

It wasn't too bad but there were gusts on the beach so it may have been worse at altitude.  From being able to see the props in the frame on both sides tells me it got a few pretty good ones.
2017-4-26
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-26 12:15
Always check your props before and after you fly...

You've heard my story enough times now. Doesn't it feel like something is up with the props here.
2017-4-26
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
United States

I feel your pain man. I really hope DJI gives you mercy on this one.

I think prop snapped off. The way it was fighting to fix itself. Looks like the prop came off.

But has anyone here tried to put a prop on the way wrong on the Mavic? It's impossible. It won't let you even take off. But one of the biggest things is no prop will let you fly for 3 minutes and change. If it wasn't installed the right way.  

I'm sorry for your lost man. Really... I wouldn't wish this on anyone.
2017-4-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

jeebs-9 Posted at 2017-4-26 13:09
You've heard my story enough times now. Doesn't it feel like something is up with the props here.

Only reason prop will come off is if it's not put on right and not checked properly.
2017-4-26
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

jeebs-9 Posted at 2017-4-26 13:21

I think prop snapped off. The way it was fighting to fix itself. Looks like the prop came off.

Thinking motor but logs don't have the obstruction warning as it fell into the water. Might have been hardware but most likely it was a bird. The mavic looks like a big insect meal, decals aren't a bad idea. Had crows attack mine at the park, but since put teeth on top they glide by. A lot of little birds are curious but they usually fly close and around. My bet's a seagull.
2017-4-26
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.2
United States

jeebs-9 Posted at 2017-4-26 13:21

Thanks man, I'll let you guys know what DJI tells me.
2017-4-26
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-26 13:25
Only reason prop will come off is if it's not put on right and not checked properly.

You really think a prop put in the wrong way will last 3 minutes in the sky?

Hallmark007, Have you tried to put a prop on wrong on purpose? Or better yet let someone who's never put one on and let them try. It's really hard to put a prop on. And I know we'll probably agree to disagree as we usually do on this subject
2017-4-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

jeebs-9 Posted at 2017-4-26 13:31
You really think a prop put in the wrong way will last 3 minutes in the sky?

Hallmark007, Have you tried to put a prop on wrong on purpose? Or better yet let someone who's never put one on and let them try. It's really hard to put a prop on. And I know we'll probably agree to disagree as we usually do on this subject

If a prop is cracked chipped or damaged it means it wasn't checked properly, there is no evidence here that a prop came off, this is not the OP's first flight, if there was a problem with props we would see a whole load more going down.
2017-4-26
Use props
Mojito
lvl.2
United States

Remember the props also are on hinges. Do you stretch out the props or do you take off while they are folded.
2017-4-26
Use props
Mojito
lvl.2
United States

Remember the props also are on hinges. Do you stretch out the props or do you take off while they are folded. I am thinking of having some flotation under the mavic like the one on the go pro maybe tie wrap or Velcro to fly over water.
2017-4-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Mojito Posted at 2017-4-26 14:24
Remember the props also are on hinges. Do you stretch out the props or do you take off while they are folded.

Correct procedure spread them out straight.
2017-4-26
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Mojito Posted at 2017-4-26 14:30
Remember the props also are on hinges. Do you stretch out the props or do you take off while they are folded. I am thinking of having some flotation under the mavic like the one on the go pro maybe tie wrap or Velcro to fly over water.

Guys, Guys, guys...Please read the manual and watch DJI training videos before you fly....these are basic stauff that everyone needs to know before even touching the MP
2017-4-26
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

After looking at the footage again and then  looking at air data final seconds it shows that:

H        03m 41s        15.1 ft        2,680 ft        Warning        Weak signal. Adjust antenna and avoid signal block.

At that time you were already behind the boardwalk which probably blocked your signal and dove into the warm Atlantic water... RIP Mr. Mavic...

DJI might claim pilot error! Sorry bro!!!
2017-4-26
Use props
EventDrone
New
Flight distance : 333894 ft
New Zealand

dronist Posted at 2017-4-26 15:49
After looking at the footage again and then  looking at air data final seconds it shows that:

H        03m 41s        15.1 ft        2,680 ft        Warning        Weak signal. Adjust antenna and avoid signal block.

a boardwalk would not block the signal.

I would say its a bug, from switching from fixed to normal, to fixed.

From flight logs i cannot see any pilot error.

I've seen drones attacked by birds before doesn't look like a bird attack.

Props do get hairline cracks, even new ones!

2017-4-26
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.2
United States

I was on the beach, not behind the boardwalk.
2017-4-26
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

jamesw Posted at 2017-4-26 09:53
These stories about Mavics disconnecting and crashing are getting a little out of hand.

this. i dont think ive flown since feb.reading all these horror stories, i'm just too afraid to fly it. i dont wanna lose it or it break or anything bad. even some popular youtube people with mavics have had some kind of catastrophe.
2017-4-26
Use props
Ulises_moises
lvl.1
Flight distance : 95784 ft
United States

fans464488b9 Posted at 2017-4-26 10:15
I'll upload the raw footage now but I wasn't filming anything.  I post a link momentarily

Sounds like my case
2017-4-26
Use props
SteinMR
lvl.2
Flight distance : 273802 ft
Norway

I had a crash earlier this month because MP suddenly start automatic landing and I could not cancel the landing.
This results in two cracked propellers that I swapped.

After I have made some flights it was time to remove all the propellers to inspect them. I discovered that two of the pins under one of the other propel had cracked and were loose. This was one of the original propel I thought was ok.

So, on that propel was it only one pins that was holding the propel instead of normally three pins.
I swapped the propel, but I had problems to install the new because there was lose pins in the motor.
Luckily nothing happened but I could have lost the propeller in the air if the last pins had cracked and had come loose. Or the motor could have been jammed under flight because of loose pins the motor.

So, it is very important that you remove the props and check they all are ok with no cracks or damage. Especially after a crash.

Can this have been the problem since MP was a replacement unit from DJI and you haven't checked the propellers after the replacement?
2017-4-26
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.2
United States

The MP didn't come from DJI with the props, I put a new set of DJI props on when I got it back. Maybe 10 flights on them max.
2017-4-26
Use props
F.C Drone City
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1909 ft
United States

Flying over a moving surface (water) downward VPS must be  off
2017-4-26
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.2
United States

I was at over 50' when I lost control, VPS wasn't a factor.
2017-4-26
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-26 11:26
Very routine stuff with no indication of any kind of problem in the log that I can see. Unfortunately I think you're just going to have to hope for mercy from DJI at this point. Good luck.

Nothing to see in that log because we really need to see the full TXT log from the app not the Airdata abbreviation of it.
Dont know what phone  OP is on but would be much more informative to get the DJIFlightRecord_<datesamp>.TXT file from the DJI folder. Airdata allows download of the original of this file too if you have a premium account.
This file should show control inputs and much more useful data than what you can see on airdata.
2017-4-26
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

I have a feeling that the loss of signal is a factor in these crashes. I don't think people are taking the antenna direction seriously enough. It is so easy to turn the rc such that signal is interrupted. Having said that, there is also the question of why the drone doesn't start a RTH after losing signal. Without being able to recover the drone, this one is going to remain a mystery as there are so many factors here such as a bird strike, a prop failure, motor or esc failure, over water.I don't think a wind gust would have caused this as I think the drone could recover from that.
2017-4-26
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.2
United States

Don't know how to get the txt off iOS.
2017-4-26
Use props
hungdang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4931706 ft
  • >>>
Australia

It was not far from the shore, in few days the current might bring it in.
keep looking bro. good luck
2017-4-26
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.2
United States

Or take it back to Shenzhen lol.
2017-4-26
Use props
PilotC
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1321214 ft
Australia

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-4-26 09:59
Your incident looks very different from the recent cases of the Mavic simply losing power and dropping. The way your Mavic went down looks very much like it had a collision, a bird strike, or perhaps a prop failure.

I was thinking the samething.
2017-4-26
Use props
PilotC
Second Officer
Australia

Jason Lane Posted at 2017-4-26 09:59
Your incident looks very different from the recent cases of the Mavic simply losing power and dropping. The way your Mavic went down looks very much like it had a collision, a bird strike, or perhaps a prop failure.

When i watched the video i was thinking that it looks like the  causes you listed..
2017-4-26
Use props
rparge
Second Officer
Flight distance : 173852 ft
Canada

fans464488b9 Posted at 2017-4-26 18:22
Don't know how to get the txt off iOS.

Use iTunes, find the APP section, look for Flight Records, and download to your computer.

iTunes

iTunes
2017-4-26
Use props
PilotC
Second Officer
Australia

A bird strike can happen so quickly and without warning. In my video below I was lucky that the Mavic detected the bird and the bird moved out of the way. If not I think there would have been a very different outcome.

I'm sure DJI will work it out. Good luck..

2017-4-26
Use props
DennisMurry08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

At exactly 3:30 to 3:31 you can see a prop flying off in the upper left..you only see it for less than a second...you either lost the left front prop or you hit another drone and the prop in the video is the one you hit. You can only see it for half a second on your raw version...it would also correspond to the drop off to the left.
2017-4-26
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry to hear about the loss of your drone.
Did you get in touch with our tech support at support.us@dji.com?
Sync your flight records from the DJI Go app and send an email to support.us@dji.com with your DJI account email and the date this occurred.
Our engineers will help to analyse the flight data and let you know what could have caused the issue.
2017-4-26
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.2
United States

Yes DJI Mindy I sent it earlier thank you.
2017-4-26
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2017-4-26 19:37
At exactly 3:30 to 3:31 you can see a prop flying off in the upper left..you only see it for less than a second...you either lost the left front prop or you hit another drone and the prop in the video is the one you hit. You can only see it for half a second on your raw version...it would also correspond to the drop off to the left.

You are absolutely spot on. I saw it the first time I looked but just assumed it was the prop in the video but it is clear that the prop is moving away from the Mavic.
2017-4-26
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

I know there have been opinions up the wazoo expressed here, but I have to disagree with the prop flying off theory at 3:30-3:31.  At that period, you see BOTH props come into view simultaneously and symmetrically, and they stay that way several rotations.  This tells me that it is high powered, full forward movement.  What I will call a likely bird strike (just my opinion) occurs at 3:37.  If a prop had flown apart, there's no way it would have stayed stable for 6 more seconds with "level" horizon.  There is a jolt from either the left rear or the right front, kicking it rotationally to the left slightly, and then it goes nuts.  

Just another opinion.  ;)
2017-4-26
Use props
DennisMurry08
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5948264 ft
  • >>>
United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-4-26 20:36
I know there have been opinions up the wazoo expressed here, but I have to disagree with the prop flying off theory at 3:30-3:31.  At that period, you see BOTH props come into view simultaneously and symmetrically, and they stay that way several rotations.  This tells me that it is high powered, full forward movement.  What I will call a likely bird strike (just my opinion) occurs at 3:37.  If a prop had flown apart, there's no way it would have stayed stable for 6 more seconds with "level" horizon.  There is a jolt from either the left rear or the right front, kicking it rotationally to the left slightly, and then it goes nuts.  

Just another opinion.  ;)

I used a different resolution and I do see the prop in the upper right at that time.....so, there was some gyrations going on for that to happen.....Twilight Zone?
2017-4-26
Use props
Hwynboy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 81654 ft
United States

Keep us posted, I'm super curious here....sorry this happened...I was sick watching it
2017-4-26
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2017-4-26 21:00
I used a different resolution and I do see the prop in the upper right at that time.....so, there was some gyrations going on for that to happen.....Twilight Zone?

I see them both at the same time for several revolutions.  Using .25 playback high res.
2017-4-27
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules