8518 114 2017-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

DennisMurry08 Posted at 2017-4-26 21:00
I used a different resolution and I do see the prop in the upper right at that time.....so, there was some gyrations going on for that to happen.....Twilight Zone?

No gyrations until 6 seconds after both props came into view, and they were symmetrical in the camera and symmetrical with the horizon.  It was stable, but going forward hard.  Then it "was hit" hard enough to rotate it left and the rest is wet history.
2017-4-27
Use props
Rhidz
lvl.2
Flight distance : 559616 ft
United Kingdom

Jeez, hopefully you find out exactly what caused this.
2017-4-27
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-26 10:29
Thanks. Unfortunately I don't think it's going to be possible to make a definitive diagnosis on this one, but it definitely appears different from the others. Did you have any previous crashes with the aircraft that might have damaged the propellers?

Agree. Obviously not the not power failure we've seen lately.  Could have been a pelican or other low-flying bird skimming along.
2017-4-27
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
Flight distance : 174262 ft
United States

Has anyone actual seen a bird strike? Not a video. Actually with their own eyes.
2017-4-27
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.2
Flight distance : 311358 ft
United States

I appreciate all the feedback and comments on my problem,

For those that wanted the txt file of the flight log, here it is:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ymlcvl ... 4-25-11%5D.txt?dl=0
2017-4-27
Use props
Logger
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2883714 ft
Australia

fans464488b9 Posted at 2017-4-27 11:27
I appreciate all the feedback and comments on my problem,

For those that wanted the txt file of the flight log, here it is:

crash

crash

This is from the text file thanks.
This excerp begins just before the props appear in video. Full Up throttle was applied for 1 sec then released. Then Full Forward elevator was applied and never released for rest of flight. As drone accelrated props came in view briefly as nose pitched down (props seen in video which is fairly normal) . Accelerated forward and Pilot applied full down throttle for ~4.5 seconds to descend about 5 metres. The drone then went out of control within a 10th of a second of Pilot releasing this Full down Throttle at 218.9 sec. (Co-Incidence or a trigger for a failure? ) Sudden pitch up and rapid left roll followed.   Dont know from the log why it happended. It just shows what happened.  Unfortnately the TXT logs do not capture rotor RPMs.Be interesting to see what DJI say. Cant see how they could prove you were hit by something or that a prop malfuntioned. All that is obvious is that it malfunctioned and your control inputs were fairly benign.

2017-4-28
Use props
Rick A
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3566 ft
Canada

FrequentFlyer Posted at 2017-4-26 10:15
There have been so many of these threads.Have any been resolved / received an answer from DJI will they get a replacement or what happened? In going to Hawaii in 2 day and plan on flying over the ocean. Not looking forward to this happening.

I lost mine in a crash, basically the drone went into a slow decent, then crashed into a river and was lost. After a thorough examination of the flight logs and video, the drone was replaced under warranty. DJI has been good to me, I did not enquire as to the final cause.
2017-4-28
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.2
United States

Logger Posted at 2017-4-28 04:55
[view_image]

Thanks man, that is some useful information, I didn't know you could pull all that out of the data.
2017-4-28
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.2
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-4-26 19:46
Sorry to hear about the loss of your drone.
Did you get in touch with our tech support at ?
Sync your flight records from the DJI Go app and send an email to  with your DJI account email and the date this occurred.

DJI Mindy, I still haven't heard anything on my case, could you please check it for me?? CAS-609943-F2D5C8  Thanks
2017-5-4
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

Logger Posted at 2017-4-28 04:55
[view_image]

Hi Logger,   I think DJI's annalist software would be able to tell more by checking the Accelerometer
                  readings ---- If it were a bird strike they will have an abnormal spike in the reading
                  B4 it went down ---- Looking at the graph again it does look like Mavic or something
                  Hit it and took it out --- note the spike in Pitch, Roll and Speed a little further down the
                  time line  

2017-5-4
Use props
patman89
lvl.4
Flight distance : 288327 ft
Germany

jeebs-9 Posted at 2017-4-27 05:47
Has anyone actual seen a bird strike? Not a video. Actually with their own eyes.

I guess not, because most pilots fly out of LOS. And this is why nobody can say what happend to the drones which apparently stop working and fall out of the skies. I always have a spotter with me who has the drone in sight  while I concentrate on filming.
2017-5-4
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
United States

patman89 Posted at 2017-5-4 06:28
I guess not, because most pilots fly out of LOS. And this is why nobody can say what happend to the drones which apparently stop working and fall out of the skies. I always have a spotter with me who has the drone in sight  while I concentrate on filming.

I've only heard one story of bird strike.
2017-5-4
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.2
United States

Update on my case if anyone is curious, Still in the works

Good day Conrad,

We would like to request you to extract directly the flight record from your mobile device and extract the txt files and send us the whole folder. The txt files are usually named "DJIFlightRecord_XXXXXXX"; the "XXXXXXX" should match the incident date.

Please attach the flight record with the matching incident date. And reply to this email with it as an attachment so we will be able to proceed with the data analysis.

Also if you able to record the video during the flight incident, Please provide video cache at the accident for further analysis.

PLEASE FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS PROVIDE IN THE ATTACHED FILE ON HOW TO EXTRACT IT.

Thank you for understanding and cooperation. Have a great day!

Regards,
RJ
DJI Support
2017-5-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

fans464488b9 Posted at 2017-5-4 15:08
Update on my case if anyone is curious, Still in the works

Good day Conrad,

Thank you for your update.
I have added a note to your case to make sure they follow up the case with you as soon as possible.
2017-5-4
Use props
fans14f1eb67
New

United States

If you cannot save your drone can I buy your controller? Doug 407-791-1543
2017-5-4
Use props
fans42b101d8
lvl.1
Flight distance : 161519 ft
United States

I was able to recover mine and sent it in to DJI, what a mistake!! They qouted me $709 for a replacement!! DRONE ONLY. Minus all the stuff that doesn't come with it would bring it down to around $550 and that would be giving me Zero credit for my drone I sent in!! The "repair process" is more expensive than going to the store and buying a brand new drone, and to get to this point has taken almost a month since they recieved it at the "repair facility" Shame on this company for this practice of overcharging CURRENT customers.
2017-5-8
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

Yes, sent in the flight log to DJI.... they probably won't be much help though as they just said they could not find any flight abnormality with mine, very disappointed
2017-5-8
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.2
United States

Newest Email

Good day Conrad,

Thank you for providing necessary information.

This will be forwarded to the respective department that will perform data analysis and investigation this may take
some time so we might as well wait for any updates. We hope for your patience.

We will contact you soon (Business hour: Monday to Friday, from 07:00 am to 15:00 am PST)

Thank you for understanding and cooperation. Have a great day!

Regards,
RJ
DJI Support
2017-5-8
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.2
United States

Hi Conrad,

Thanks for your patience.

For the incident happened to your drone, we have confirmed it as a warranty case according to our analysis.

We would like to offer you a 100% off coupon for the item linked below from our online store:

http://store.dji.com/product/mavic-pro-aircraft-excludes-remote-controller-and-battery-charger

If you would like to take the offer, please reply to my email directly for example “I accept the offer.”

It’s most advised for you to reply to my email directly, for I will handle the coupon application directly for you.

Should you have more questions, please feel free to let me know.

Best Regards,

Calvin

DJI Tech Support

http://www.dji.com/

2017-5-11
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.2
United States

Great result, Full Replacement. Thanks for all the comments and support. Thanks to DJI Mindy for her help.
2017-5-11
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

fans464488b9 Posted at 2017-5-11 00:19
Great result, Full Replacement. Thanks for all the comments and support. Thanks to DJI Mindy for her help.

Great News -- did or will DJI give you an explanation as to what actually happened to your
   Mavic , I was following your case because it was somewhat of a mystery as to what happen ?

FlySafe-Flyfree
2017-5-11
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.2
United States

No explanation was given, all they would say was that it would be replaced.  After it ships I will ask if they can tell me what happened if they even know.  Till then I don't want to jinx anything.  I'll post an update if they tell me anything further about it.  Good Day
2017-5-11
Use props
jeebs-9
lvl.4
United States

fans464488b9 Posted at 2017-5-11 05:40
No explanation was given, all they would say was that it would be replaced.  After it ships I will ask if they can tell me what happened if they even know.  Till then I don't want to jinx anything.  I'll post an update if they tell me anything further about it.  Good Day

I'm happy for you man... I really am.... good job here DJI.
2017-5-11
Use props
flyingasd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31089 ft
Italy

fans464488b9 Posted at 2017-4-26 11:14
This Mavic was a repair replacement from DJI in California.  It seemed fine but I have gotten intermittent obstacle avoidance warnings when I fly toward the sun that never happened with my original unit.  I never take the props off and give the machine a good once over before each flight so I really don't know. I'm bummed out but have emailed DJI so we'll see what they say but i'm not terribly optimistic.  Thanks for the feedback.

oh my god!
my mavic has the same problem too. "obstacle avoidance warnings" without a reason.mine was a replacement from holland.

@dji_mindy let me know if it's related with this crash.

2017-5-11
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Note that if you look at the video in normal speed, there is clearly a bump about half a second before it tumbled.  You most likely had a collision.  Could have been a bird or could have been a fish for all we know.  I am guessing something struck the prop and then you had a prop failure.
2017-5-11
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.2
United States

Would have been a flying fish lol I was at 55' when the bump happened.
2017-5-11
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

fans464488b9 Posted at 2017-5-11 06:32
Would have been a flying fish lol I was at 55' when the bump happened.

Well ya know!  Some of those fish!  <jk!>  

Yes, that would have had to be a flying fish!
2017-5-11
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.2
United States

After receiving the email saying my Mavic would be covered under warranty, I haven't had any communication with DJI.  I've tried to contact Calvin at DJI US support three times (who told me to contact him with any further questions in the initial email) and I've also contacted DJI Mindy and no one has returned my correspondence in over 10 days.  I'm thinking they just wanted the forum to think they were handling my case correctly and then ignoring me when I said DJI was actually doing the right thing.  Why does it take two weeks to get an email when they admitted it was a warranty issue???
2017-5-21
Use props
fans464488b9
lvl.2
United States

Final Update,
Yesterday I received the coupon code for the Mavic Pro Aircraft only (excludes remote and charger) to replace the one I lost in the ocean last month.  At the DJI Store it said 15 to 20 days to ship pending payment confirmation.  The moment I entered the coupon code the payment was confirmed immediately, the Mavic was shipped within hours and I received it in the mail this afternoon!  Excellent service from the time I got the coupon code.  I think there were some delays up until that point but overall I am very satisfied.  Thanks DJI for taking care of this.  
2017-5-25
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

fans464488b9 Posted at 2017-5-25 13:03
Final Update,
Yesterday I received the coupon code for the Mavic Pro Aircraft only (excludes remote and charger) to replace the one I lost in the ocean last month.  At the DJI Store it said 15 to 20 days to ship pending payment confirmation.  The moment I entered the coupon code the payment was confirmed immediately, the Mavic was shipped within hours and I received it in the mail this afternoon!  Excellent service from the time I got the coupon code.  I think there were some delays up until that point but overall I am very satisfied.  Thanks DJI for taking care of this.

I'm glad to hear that you were taken care of and that you'll be back in the air soon. Thanks for keeping us updated on the outcome.
2017-5-25
Use props
fanse622820a
New
Flight distance : 6703 ft
United States

fans464488b9 Posted at 2017-4-26 12:23
The second time in fixed wing mode I stayed in it for several seconds and the final turn before the failure was a mild bank but I disabled it before that last altitude gain.

My Mavic fell out of the sky 100 feet while hovering. this is a REAL problem with the MAvics and I can't get DJI to fix mine. They sent a repair estimate for $360. I appealed and get no response other than they are looking into it. They have had my broken Mavic for over a month. I question if we shouldn't all join in a class action law suit against DJI to get our money back. In the mean time we have to spread the word about this problem. I am out $1400 and a MAvic.
2017-5-25
Use props
fanse0b01137
lvl.1
Flight distance : 263875 ft
United States

This just happen to me. 78% battery to low battery warning to smack!!
2017-8-19
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

must be some recent updates or backend changes causing this more frequently?   sparks falling out of the sky, mavic's falling out of the sky, phantom 4 pro's having little panic attacks..

my question to anyone having this issue.. did you recieve any flight warnings on screen?  like "RTH will pass a NFZ" ?  or a random out of place airspace warning like "flying in airspace class D"  ?   i noticed seems to be some link to certain sparks and mavic's having issues with incorrect flight advisory/restriction warnings appearing causing something to happen with the drone..

also looking at the log and the video... at the end it proibably was a bird strike...  the erratic spinning and and rapid decent, and fact compensation failed to overcome what happened in the initial second..  definatly appears to been a bird strike...i havent seen or delt with,  either that or one of your blades cracked and broke off half way.... i know from experiance with my last spark i had, a cracked blade (which happens suprisingly easily) can break off leaving half a blade and causing dramatic spinning and rapid decent..  luckily for me i didnt have any impact somehow my spark stopped itself just hovered in place spinning few hundred RPMs...

2017-8-19
Use props
fanse0b01137
lvl.1
United States

#Quick Reply Here#http://app.airdata.com/main?shar ... id=GENERALLarge_Map
2017-8-20
Use props
fanse0b01137
lvl.1
United States

fanse0b01137 Posted at 2017-8-19 18:09
This just happen to me. 78% battery to low battery warning to smack!!

http://app.airdata.com/main?shar ... id=GENERALLarge_Map
2017-8-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules