Tilted horizon on side rolls-Mavic pro
2482 15 2017-4-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
MassiTX
New
United States

Hi there,

I got my mavic pro a week ago and it looks like my horizon tilts when rolling on left or right. Here is a picture as well.
(https://drive.google.com/file/d/ ... Gc/view?usp=sharing)
I guess I have the latest firmware as I updated it a week ago. All calibrations performed beforehand. Any help or idea?

Thanks
2017-4-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

You can off set that with gimbal roll + or - , only other thing to do is gimbal calibration, on a level surface.
2017-4-26
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

And you can straighten it in post.
2017-4-26
Use props
MassiTX
New
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-26 14:20
You can off set that with gimbal roll + or - , only other thing to do is gimbal calibration, on a level surface.

So, there is no way to fix it then? Is it a common problem and everyone is facing or its just me?!!
2017-4-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

MassiTX Posted at 2017-4-27 07:56
So, there is no way to fix it then? Is it a common problem and everyone is facing or its just me?!!

Well it seems to be a problem with all dji aircraft p3 , P4, P4Pro, inspire, you can see it all over the forums, it's fair to say with new firmware it has been improved from time to time, I have had P4 and I have P4 pro and Mavic I always do a gimbal calibration a day or so before I go flying for footage, checking that my horizons are as good as possible,
I don't know why this happens but at a guess I think it can be thrown out of line by aggressive flying hard breaking and flying in sport mode, and it's because I do these things when it comes to taking serious footage I try to make sure that my set up is as good as it possibly can.
I also will say that both my Mavic and P4Pro are nearly always spot on,
I suppose it's down to if you feel comfortable with it as it is now can it get better with calibration ie gimbal and IMU , or is there a more perfect one lying at the dji factory.
I also realise photographers notice these fine imperfections and while I'm only a very amateur photographer, it's something that I can see very quickly in photos.
2017-4-27
Use props
MassiTX
New
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-27 08:14
Well it seems to be a problem with all dji aircraft p3 , P4, P4Pro, inspire, you can see it all over the forums, it's fair to say with new firmware it has been improved from time to time, I have had P4 and I have P4 pro and Mavic I always do a gimbal calibration a day or so before I go flying for footage, checking that my horizons are as good as possible,
I don't know why this happens but at a guess I think it can be thrown out of line by aggressive flying hard breaking and flying in sport mode, and it's because I do these things when it comes to taking serious footage I try to make sure that my set up is as good as it possibly can.
I also will say that both my Mavic and P4Pro are nearly always spot on,

makes sense to me. I guess id have to live with it then!!
2017-4-27
Use props
digitalintruder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

I have the same problem - it's fairly annoying. It's really not noticeable for close shots - but distance shots.

I think you can adjust the roll on the gimbal - but I haven't found a good value - and calibration (on a flat surface) doesn't really help.
2017-4-27
Use props
MassiTX
New
United States

digitalintruder Posted at 2017-4-27 08:52
I have the same problem - it's fairly annoying. It's really not noticeable for close shots - but distance shots.

I think you can adjust the roll on the gimbal - but I haven't found a good value - and calibration (on a flat surface) doesn't really help.

I'm wondering if there are some people without this tilting horizon problem on their Mavic Pro. if yes, can anyone please let us know about their experience?
2017-4-27
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Can I ask what you mean by rolling left to right?  Is that when you yaw?  If it is, you are using the FPV setting on the app.  Change it to follow and your camera won't roll anymore when you yaw.
2017-4-27
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

hallmark is correct.  This seems to be an issue all through the P3 series, can't speak for P4, but I also see it in lots of posted Mavic shots.   First thing though, do a gimbal calibration on a perfectly level platform.  I notice it changes throughout a flight, so if I set it manually while it is cold, it will change as soon as I get it up and do some maneuvering.  So what I'm going to do the next time I fly the P3 is take it up and fly around some and then bring it back and try calibrating it while it is warm.  Who knows!  It could make a difference.  Another way to minimize the problem is try to minimize your shooting where the horizon is in the shot.  For me, the tilt just ruins the shot.
2017-4-27
Use props
MassiTX
New
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-4-27 09:37
Can I ask what you mean by rolling left to right?  Is that when you yaw?  If it is, you are using the FPV setting on the app.  Change it to follow and your camera won't roll anymore when you yaw.

It is when you move to the right or left instead of forward/backward. Kind of different from yawing when the position does not change and the bird turns. same problem exists for yaws as well!!
2017-4-27
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Still have to do the c2+dial tilt to straiten it out after she's up sometimes.
2017-4-27
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

MassiTX Posted at 2017-4-27 10:49
It is when you move to the right or left instead of forward/backward. Kind of different from yawing when the position does not change and the bird turns. same problem exists for yaws as well!!

I will have to try that, but all my batteries are done for the day....  So maybe tomorrow.
2017-4-27
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

MassiTX Posted at 2017-4-27 09:06
I'm wondering if there are some people without this tilting horizon problem on their Mavic Pro. if yes, can anyone please let us know about their experience?

I don't have the tilting problem. This is my second Mavic as the first one was replaced because of a gimbal issue. The first one did not have the tilting problem either.
2017-4-27
Use props
ro_flyer
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7557283 ft
Brazil

I started to get this after upgrading to .600 firmware. {:4_157:}
2017-4-28
Use props
Alex G
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1366857 ft