ipad mini 3 or ipad air 2
5349 18 2015-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
stevenstringer
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I have just brought an ipad mini 3 to use with my inspire. I have found i get lag / latency issue with the live video feed. A few people have mentioned that if you turn on hardware decoding on in the pilot app this should solve the problem. Also people have said that if you have an ipad air 2 the hadrware decoding does not need to be on.  My questions are:What is hardware decoding?
Should i have brought an ipad air 2 instead with the A8x chip(could problably take ipad mini back as i have only had it a week) or even saved some money and just upgraded my phone to iphone 6??

In an ideal world i would keep th ipad mini 3 as i think it is better size but do not want to compromise my set up.

What are other peoples thoughts on this?
2015-3-5
Use props
CameronGurley
lvl.2
Flight distance : 104524 ft
United States

FYI, Best Buy has the Mini 2 with A7 chip on sale for $250.00.
2015-3-5
Use props
kossisboss
lvl.1

United States

Steven, I was just about to ask the same question!  I got the iPad mini 3 and I love it, however I am having problems with lagging.  Not cool.  I keep having to switch to iPhone 6 which works great... but having the bigger screen is much better.

Maybe somebody knows how to fix it?
2015-3-5
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

I'm using the newest iPad mini 2 retina the half second or so latency is normal . The mini 2 comes with a few less features than the mini 3 . the chip in both are the same... So save some money get the mini two retina .. The iPad air two is unnecessary unless you need the bigger screen it's a bit bulky mounted on the radio tx ... Mini 2 retina just fits size and price same quality , best buy has the best deal .
2015-3-5
Use props
kossisboss
lvl.1

United States

right but its more than a half second delay for mine
2015-3-5
Use props
stevenstringer
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I had a live chat with dji this today asking them the same questions, they seem to like their one word answers but they did say "iPad air 2 is best" very helpfull, a couple of guys on the forum recommended turning on hardware decoding in the settings, to access click on the cog icon in the top right had corner of the pilot app. I tested it out this evening in the garden so only hovered off the ground and panned the camera, it does seem to work though. Not sure what to do, if people are say that it works great on iPhone 6 (which has A8 chip too) it must be the A8 chip that makes a difference. Going to do a few more test with the hardware decoding turned on and see what happens, love the iPad mini, the iPad air seems to be a bit over kill in terms of size.
On to another question, does anyone know if / how you can lock the camera on a point of interest so you can fly round it in a circle with camera focused on the subject, hope this makes sense!!
2015-3-5
Use props
will
lvl.2

United States

stevenstringer Posted at 2015-3-6 03:51
I had a live chat with dji this today asking them the same questions, they seem to like their one wo ...

Hi Stevenstringer, I don't think that "point-lock" feature is enabled yet because I have yet to figure out how to enable it!  I read somewhere that it's "coming soon".

2015-3-5
Use props
jhogge
lvl.2

United States

I use the Air 2 and its awesome. Never had any issues.
2015-3-5
Use props
enkhome
lvl.3
Flight distance : 273038 ft
Netherlands

My opinion ipad mini 2 is the best to consider (weight is not to much. iphone is too small and ipad is to bulky also by high flying it can be cover the antennas more then the mini. Don't forget to set the airplane mode on due to possible interference.     
2015-3-5
Use props
kossisboss
lvl.1

United States

interesting. yes i used a friends iPad air 2 and it was PERFECT.  I don't want to have one that big though.  I used to have old iPad and just got the mini 3 which is perfect.  Just have to figure out these lagging issues. Let me know if you get any better results! i will try the decoding thing as well.
2015-3-5
Use props
flbstudio
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20710033 ft
  • >>>
United States

I suggest iPad Air...no need to spend the money on the Air 2. I have been using an Air and it works GREAT. I haven't changed any settings and I'm not getting any lag. This is in comparison to when I first started using an Android tablet which was laggy beyond lag. Anyway, I haven't used a Mini so I can't offer anything.
2015-3-5
Use props
daver/m
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234590 ft
United States

flbstudio Posted at 2015-3-6 07:03
I suggest iPad Air...no need to spend the money on the Air 2. I have been using an Air and it works  ...

The latency is normal ! Use an iPad mini 2 retina save Yer $$
2015-3-5
Use props
kossisboss
lvl.1

United States

right but its not a small latency. its a huge one. like barely can see where its going latency haha.  Is that happening to you?
2015-3-6
Use props
ea6le
lvl.2

Turks and Caicos Islands

kossisboss Posted at 2015-3-7 01:03
right but its not a small latency. its a huge one. like barely can see where its going latency haha. ...

Try to use manual channel 20-25 for video transmission and reduce the bandwidth, I have done that and the video is smooth on ipad mini 3
2015-3-6
Use props
ChadAustin
lvl.3
Flight distance : 139731 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use the Air 2 128gb and I have no issues.
2015-3-6
Use props
kossisboss
lvl.1

United States

What is easiest way to change the channel?  I tried playing with it and could not figure it out...  of course haha
2015-3-7
Use props
stevenstringer
lvl.3

United Kingdom

Have turned on the hardware decoding but seem to still get a second or 2 lag, the screen kind a freezes and takes a moment to catch up.

On an other subject the dji pilot app keeps crashing when i try and tap on one of the past flights in the user centre flight record??
2015-3-8
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

stevenstringer Posted at 2015-3-6 03:51
I had a live chat with dji this today asking them the same questions, they seem to like their one wo ...

there is a "follow" feature on the ios app it will follow your object despite changing plane orientation. i recommend ipad air 2 no lag
2015-3-8
Use props
davidbsamuels
lvl.4
Flight distance : 8049101 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have both an iPad Air2(A8) and a Mini 2 (A7).  The Air2 is smoother, seems more responsive with photos and video in the display.  I'm crossing my fingers for a Mini with A8 chip or better, we'll see what March 9th brings us.
2015-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules