9752 49 2017-4-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mister Custards
New
Flight distance : 2756 ft
United States

Hello all,

I purchased a Mavic Pro which is my first drone.  I'm in love with this thing!  But the honeymoon was short-lived, and now I'm questioning whether I will be able to trust any future drones.

After receiving my Mavic (I purchased the Fly More Combo), I read the instructions, downloaded the app, updated the firmware, and acquainted myself with the aircraft.  Since this was my first drone, I was pretty cautious and making sure I was following the instructions for every action I took.  I fired it up a few times in the parking lot at my office, and all went well.  I was hooked!

But when I got it home, I set out to fly it again in my driveway.  I did the preflight check, ensured I had a full battery, extended the propellors, removed the gimbal cover and lock, and fired it up.  The motors spun up and I pressed the take-off button.  The machine successfully rose to four feet and awaited my next command.  Then I elevated the drone straight up, hoping to look at the top of my house.  But when it got up to 79 feet (according to the flight logs), I heard the motor cut out.  The drone had lost all power and came crashing down on the concrete.  The gimbal broke off, as did one of the legs.  Total time: less than one minute.  The end of my drone, with only 14 minutes of total flight time on it.

Luckily for me, I had the foresight to purchase the care refresh plan before this happened, so I am sure my drone will get replaced.  But my concern is beyond that.  This wasn't pilot error.  I was doing everything by the book and had only raised the drone to a modest altitude.  I've seen other postings where similar events have happened, so my concern is whether this is going to happen again.  I was lucky enough that I was not standing under the drone, as I could have been seriously injured.  But what happens when my replacement arrives?  If this is a common occurance, it's going to make flying a drone more stressful than fun.

I'm hoping that this is just some sort of manufacturing defect and not a normal risk of drones in general or that the software is seriously flawed.  What are the experiences of others here who have had this happen to them?  From what I've read I'm hearing the support experience is not great, but I'm curious about whether others have overcome events like this to go on to enjoy flying.  And are other models (such as the Phantom) better behaved?

Cheers,
M.C.
2017-4-27
Use props
Griffith
Second Officer
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

M.C. Sorry for  your bad experience.  Don't use your Refresh unless DJI determines it isn't covered under warranty.  I've had my Mavic 5 months and have had no problems. However, others  have fallen victim to catastrophic failures of battery or other hardware.

Please post your logs and DAT file (and any unedited video,if you were recording) to receive an opinion from others here.  
2017-4-27
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I'm in love with this thing!  But the honeymoon was short-lived, and now I'm questioning whether I will be able to trust any future drones.

I'm sorry to hear that but I understand: the fear of this happening again is going to diminish the enjoyment you could have gotten from the flying experience.

Luckily for me, I had the foresight to purchase the care refresh plan before this happened

That is good, but it may be that this will be a warranty case and you won't have to use Care Refresh or pay anything.

I've seen other postings where similar events have happened

Yes, unfortunately stories like yours have become fairly common recently.

so my concern is whether this is going to happen again

Nobody can guarantee that it won't, but what happened to you never has been and still isn't the norm.

I'm hoping that this is just some sort of manufacturing defect and not a normal risk of drones in general or that the software is seriously flawed.

Manufacture date does appear to be a common thread in most or all of these cases, so that's probably correct. And no, it's definitely not normal for drones in general or even the Mavic in particular.

From what I've read I'm hearing the support experience is not great

Unfortunately that's also true; from what I've seen lately you're likely to be without a Mavic for a month or so.

I'm curious about whether others have overcome events like this to go on to enjoy flying.

I couldn't say for sure since I haven't experienced this firsthand, but I would guess that with enough time and a largely trouble-free Mavic that your concerns will be greatly reduced.

And are other models (such as the Phantom) better behaved?

Again, I can't say from personal experience but my perception is that the more mature Phantom line has fewer major problems.

P.S. As you may already know, you're likely to be asked to upload the DAT file from the Mavic.
2017-4-27
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I suppose first you need to know what happened, I don't know if you have sent it to dji or you are waiting for them to collect, if you have a log of the flight then you could upload and post here and you might get some answers . Although it was a very short flight you can still find some answers.

You said you heard one of the motors cut out this shouldn't happen if this is the case it will fall under warranty.
Although if your around this forum you will see plenty of crashes, but the reality is that there are few which are caused by malfunction, so things get a bit exaggerated in the whole scheme of things.
When you set up a RMA it might take a couple of days for dji to pick up your aircraft, and from what I read around here at the moment it will take 10/14 business days from when dji receive it until you get it back or a replacement, so longest should take from when they receive it is 21 days that's including sat/sun etc.
So if you have the log post it, if not I wish you luck and hope your experience is a better one when you get it back...
2017-4-27
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

There maybe a saboteur in the dji assembly room {:4_177:}

Check that you didn't do a csc in the go app playback.
2017-4-27
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-4-27 10:45
There maybe a saboteur in the dji assembly room

Or maybe DJI hired one too many laid-off GoPro employees.
2017-4-27
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-27 10:47

lol Yeah, exactly what I was thinking.
2017-4-27
Use props
Mister Custards
New
United States

Thanks for the responses, everyone.

Thanks for the tips about not using my refresh.  At this point I don't believe I did anything wrong, so I'm hopeful they will replace this at no cost to me.

Unfortunately I was not taking video.  I have replayed my flight in the app, and the last measurement shown was near at the apex of my ascent.  Then I heard all of the motors cut off, not just one.  The silence was deafening as I watched my new toy plummet to the ground.

Is there a way to remove my GPS info from the logs and dat files?  I'd prefer not to disclose that to the internet for all eternity.  I'd also be willing to send it to someone privately if this is not possible.
2017-4-27
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Mister Custards Posted at 2017-4-27 12:20

Thanks for the tips about not using my refresh.  At this point I don't believe I did anything wrong, so I'm hopeful they will replace this at no cost to me.

Is there a way to remove my GPS info from the logs and dat files?

Not really and I wouldn't recommend it if it were possible.

I'd prefer not to disclose that to the internet for all eternity.

I understand.

I'd also be willing to send it to someone privately if this is not possible.

The best-qualified person on here to analyze it is BudWalker and I'm sure Jason Lane would do a fine job. Or you could send me a Private Message and I can take a stab at it.
2017-4-27
Use props
Kenwae
lvl.2
United States

I've heard of such happenings; hasn't happened to me, yet, and hopeful it won't. I still get nervous when the bird is out of sight; I know it's not supposed to be out sight, but with something that small, and that color, it's very easy to lose sight of it. You can have it in sight, look away, look back, and you can't see it!. Anyway, In some of the other posts about this happening, one suggestion is that the battery is not fully seated. Not saying that's the situation here, but that comment has come up before around situations like this.
2017-4-27
Use props
rsands
lvl.2
Australia

These fall out of the sky threads are becoming worrying.  DJI really needs to start being more vocal about this, its

1) dangerous
2) going to get someone injured
3) get drones banned when point 2 happens
4) poor customer service

It seems to be happening far too often recently.
2017-4-27
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

As you are new to drones, is there any chance you did not change the default CSC setting and inadvertently pushed the sticks in the CSC method. It could happen as you were trying to manoeuvre to look at your house. You will be able to see where your sticks were prior to the motors shutting down in your flight log.
2017-4-27
Use props
hungdang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4931706 ft
  • >>>
Australia

This problem is worry me, you are not alone.
check your build date, don't tell me that it has been built around March 2017 (few Mavics have same problem and built around March 2017)
http://djiserialdecoder.x10host.com

Please contact DJI support to get help.
2017-4-27
Use props
taus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 25358 ft
Denmark

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-27 10:43
I suppose first you need to know what happened, I don't know if you have sent it to dji or you are waiting for them to collect, if you have a log of the flight then you could upload and post here and you might get some answers . Although it was a very short flight you can still find some answers.

You said you heard one of the motors cut out this shouldn't happen if this is the case it will fall under warranty.

hallmark007, your estimate for repair/replacement time is a bit on the optimistic side. I would say that your "worst case" of 21 days is the likely scenario. I had the same kind of crash (brand new drone, first flight, just fell out of the sky) on the 7th of April and I am still waiting for them to ship my repaired drone. .
2017-4-27
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-27 10:47

now that's funny!   from the Karma line ...

Rich
2017-4-27
Use props
RichJ53
First Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for your loss... I hope you were not moving the control sticks in the CSC position during the playback of your flight log  right..

DJI will take care of you and this will be behind you before to long. It is a great hobby and sometimes the technology fails us for unknown reasons.  Don't let this spoil your view on the sport and look forward to getting a new Mavic up in the air soon
Rich
2017-4-27
Use props
Mister Custards
New
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-4-27 20:10
As you are new to drones, is there any chance you did not change the default CSC setting and inadvertently pushed the sticks in the CSC method. It could happen as you were trying to manoeuvre to look at your house. You will be able to see where your sticks were prior to the motors shutting down in your flight log.

I am new to drones, but I checked that.  I only used the left stick, mostly pushed up to elevate.  The last few seconds of the flight log show no stick action at all (it appeared to climb another 5 feet after I let off the stick before failing).

I downloaded the .DAT file and used the viewer.  Everything looks like a loss of power.  Altitude and battery data points look correct, until there are no more readings.  It's like it just shorted out or something.
2017-4-27
Use props
Mister Custards
New
United States

RichJ53 Posted at 2017-4-27 22:03
Sorry for your loss... I hope you were not moving the control sticks in the CSC position during the playback of your flight log  right..

DJI will take care of you and this will be behind you before to long. It is a great hobby and sometimes the technology fails us for unknown reasons.  Don't let this spoil your view on the sport and look forward to getting a new Mavic up in the air soon

Thanks.  I am still optimistic (and still want to fly) but I really don't want another drone falling out of the sky and hitting someone.  Now when I see people at the beach launching their drones straight over themselves and their family I cringe.

Another poster mentioned that the trust will come back once you have some time with working hardware.  On the bright side maybe I should be thankful it failed fast if it was going to fail at all.
2017-4-27
Use props
Mister Custards
New
United States

hungdang Posted at 2017-4-27 20:42
This problem is worry me, you are not alone.
check your build date, don't tell me that it has been built around March 2017 (few Mavics have same problem and built around March 2017)
http://djiserialdecoder.x10host.com

Yes, Mar 24, 2017.
2017-4-27
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator
Flight distance : 318 ft

Sorry to hear about your crash, did you get a case number to send it in? If no, please submit online for a case and apply for pickup: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
Please sync your flight records through dji go, fill in your APP account, the exact time it happened when creating the case.
We'll have the engineers to help you analyze the data after it arrives and let you know if it is product faulty or pilot error.
2017-4-27
Use props
fans337f60a6
New
United Kingdom

Griffith Posted at 2017-4-27 10:32
M.C. Sorry for  your bad experience.  Don't use your Refresh unless DJI determines it isn't covered under warranty.  I've had my Mavic 5 months and have had no problems. However, others  have fallen victim to catastrophic failures of battery or other hardware.

Please post your logs and DAT file (and any unedited video,if you were recording) to receive an opinion from others here.

Hi there - I had a very similar experience today - 3rd flight on day 1, reasonable conditions, beginner mode, just fell out of the sky at 30 metres with no warning. I have the flight record on my phone. The recording just stops abruptly without even showing the drop. How do I get the DAT file? I have already taken the device back to the shop to be sent back for interrogation. Can anyone look at my flight record? Thanks, Jack
2017-4-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

fans337f60a6 Posted at 2017-4-30 15:03
Hi there - I had a very similar experience today - 3rd flight on day 1, reasonable conditions, beginner mode, just fell out of the sky at 30 metres with no warning. I have the flight record on my phone. The recording just stops abruptly without even showing the drop. How do I get the DAT file? I have already taken the device back to the shop to be sent back for interrogation. Can anyone look at my flight record? Thanks, Jack

Fhttps://datfile.net/DatCon/fieldsV3MP.html link for dat file download.

You can upload your flight log to PH link and come back here and post the link
2017-4-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Sorry this is link for PH

http://www.phantomhelp.com/Phantom-4/#DataLog

you might be better served opening your own thread
2017-4-30
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

I had a very similar experience today . . . just fell out of the sky at 30 metres with no warning.

I'm sorry to hear that. And it does sound similar to some of the other recent cases, and the DAT file would be very helpful here.

How do I get the DAT file? I have already taken the device back to the shop to be sent back for interrogation.

The DAT files are stored on the Mavic itself, so if you've already sent it back then unfortunately you won't be able to retrieve it. If you're somehow still able to get access to it, the directions for extracting the DAT files are here.

Can anyone look at my flight record?

I'd be happy to if you can upload it using the directions found here and provide a link once that's done.
2017-4-30
Use props
fans337f60a6
New
United Kingdom

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-30 15:18
I had a very similar experience today . . . just fell out of the sky at 30 metres with no warning.

I'm sorry to hear that. And it does sound similar to some of the other recent cases, and the DAT file would be very helpful here.

Hi there - thanks for this - I don't know how to get the flight record off my phone and onto my computer. I have been trying to share and 'export CSV' but then I don't know where to find this file when I connect my iphone and my mac. Can you help? Thanks
2017-5-2
Use props
fans337f60a6
New
United Kingdom

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-30 15:18

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/AD3G76C25PX66WWTRMKK/

2017-5-2
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Thank you. I took a look at it and didn't see anything unusual so we'd really need the DAT file to try to figure out what might have happened. It looks like you won't be able to provide it since you've already sent the Mavic in for evaluation, so hopefully DJI will take a look and you'll wind up getting a warranty replacement. Good luck.
2017-5-2
Use props
fans337f60a6
New
United Kingdom

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-2 02:20
Thank you. I took a look at it and didn't see anything unusual so we'd really need the DAT file to try to figure out what might have happened. It looks like you won't be able to provide it since you've already sent the Mavic in for evaluation, so hopefully DJI will take a look and you'll wind up getting a warranty replacement. Good luck.

Hi - I think I have found the DAT files - how do I upload them?
2017-5-3
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

fans337f60a6 Posted at 2017-5-3 01:53
Hi - I think I have found the DAT files - how do I upload them?

You'll probably need to use DropBox or something similar. Upload them there and then create another post here with a link to them.
2017-5-3
Use props
R&L Aerial
First Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-27 10:34
I'm in love with this thing!  But the honeymoon was short-lived, and now I'm questioning whether I will be able to trust any future drones.

I'm sorry to hear that but I understand: the fear of this happening again is going to diminish the enjoyment you could have gotten from the flying experience.

Every company on earth, even the best ones make lemons from time to time.
2017-5-3
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-5-3 02:32
Every company on earth, even the best ones make lemons from time to time.

Yes, I agree.
2017-5-3
Use props
fans337f60a6
New
United Kingdom

Hi there - thanks so much - does this work?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ke72o2 ... -54_FLY003.DAT?dl=0
2017-5-3
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

fans337f60a6 Posted at 2017-5-3 10:13
Hi there - thanks so much - does this work?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ke72o2m9om5d6mg/2017-04-30_10-50-54_FLY003.DAT?dl=0

You've got the right idea, but that doesn't appear to be the DAT file from the flight where you experienced the problem. The correct one should be pretty large, but that one's very small (11K). If you have more than one and aren't sure which it is, then just upload them all to DropBox, preferably in a single ZIP file.
2017-5-3
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
Flight distance : 5966247 ft
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-3 10:20
You've got the right idea, but that doesn't appear to be the DAT file from the flight where you experienced the problem. The correct one should be pretty large, but that one's very small (11K). If you have more than one and aren't sure which it is, then just upload them all to DropBox, preferably in a single ZIP file.

That .DAT probably came from the RC. The .DAT we're looking for is on the Mavic. Didn't he send his Mavic off to DJI?
2017-5-3
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

BudWalker Posted at 2017-5-3 10:43
That .DAT probably came from the RC. The .DAT we're looking for is on the Mavic. Didn't he send his Mavic off to DJI?

That .DAT probably came from the RC.

Ah, I'm sure you're right. Thank you.

The .DAT we're looking for is on the Mavic. Didn't he send his Mavic off to DJI?

That was my initial impression too but I wasn't sure after some of his later posts.
2017-5-3
Use props
fans337f60a6
New
United Kingdom

Yes thanks guys - I don't think these can be the right DAT files. I did indeed send off the mavic before downloading them, but found these ones on my phone and so thought I would see if they were the ones. Obviously not! Thanks

When you looked at the flight record what did you think? Pretty weird that the recording just stops immediately prior to the crash? Could this signify total power shut down?
2017-5-3
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

fans337f60a6 Posted at 2017-5-3 11:19
Yes thanks guys - I don't think these can be the right DAT files. I did indeed send off the mavic before downloading them, but found these ones on my phone and so thought I would see if they were the ones. Obviously not! Thanks

When you looked at the flight record what did you think? Pretty weird that the recording just stops immediately prior to the crash? Could this signify total power shut down?

Could this signify total power shut down?

Yes, I believe it's a possibility, but BudWalker knows more about these cases than I do and may have a different opinion.
2017-5-3
Use props
BudWalker
First Officer
Flight distance : 5966247 ft
  • >>>
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-3 11:36
Could this signify total power shut down?

Yes, I believe it's a possibility, but BudWalker knows more about these cases than I do and may have a different opinion.

IMHO a total power shut down seems the most likely cause. There has been a lot of these lately. E.g. look here
http://mavicpilots.com/threads/d ... ht-shutdowns.15008/
http://mavicpilots.com/threads/m ... t-of-the-sky.14482/
http://mavicpilots.com/threads/w ... t-of-the-sky.14969/

2017-5-3
Use props
fanse622820a
New
Flight distance : 6703 ft
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-4-27 10:45

My DJI Mavic dropped out of the sky suddenly on my 3rd flight while hovering at 100 feet. I wasnt even moving the controls. The battery was 80%. Needless to say there was sever damage. I sent it to DJI and received an email with a bill of $360 stating that it was pilot error. I tried to call multiple times and got put on hold. When I did reach a rep, he said he was going to transfer me and I got put on hold again and no one picked up. MY emails get a responde that the case is being reviewed, but now they have had it for over 4 weeks and I just think this is a stalling tactic. I have read of many Mavics just dropping gout of the sky. This is a real problem and the public need to know. For those of us who have lost our drones, I wonder if the only option is a class action lawsuit.
2017-5-25
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

fanse622820a Posted at 2017-5-25 19:13
My DJI Mavic dropped out of the sky suddenly on my 3rd flight while hovering at 100 feet. I wasnt even moving the controls. The battery was 80%. Needless to say there was sever damage. I sent it to DJI and received an email with a bill of $360 stating that it was pilot error. I tried to call multiple times and got put on hold. When I did reach a rep, he said he was going to transfer me and I got put on hold again and no one picked up. MY emails get a responde that the case is being reviewed, but now they have had it for over 4 weeks and I just think this is a stalling tactic. I have read of many Mavics just dropping gout of the sky. This is a real problem and the public need to know. For those of us who have lost our drones, I wonder if the only option is a class action lawsuit.

Logger made this http://djiserialdecoder.x10host.com

Can check your serial number and see when manufactured and compare. Maybe dji saw something in the dat. You could have downloaded the flight with assistant before sending it off, then view it with datcon datfile.net (Another forum member here, Budwalker wrote it)

You can also upload the flight log from your phone to airdata.com, but that's sketchy because all the data is rc side. Really need the dat.
2017-5-26
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules