Launching from a moving platform
1259 6 2017-4-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6627 ft
United Kingdom

I'm curious about the aspects of launching and landing the Mavic on a moving platform (walking pace)

In GPS/OPTI mode the Mavic will take off and hover in place as the platform moves away.

What will happen in ATTI mode?
2017-4-28
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

You can't select ATTI in the MAVIC. You will ATTI if you loose GPS and by then ADIOS AMIGO if you don't know what to do...
2017-4-28
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

This topic brings me to this riddle.. Why didn't DJI choose to make atti mode available to the Mavic?  I would like to think that a physical switch wouldn't cost that much and veer them to say no need.. Also - why not have a way to disable GPS mode completely when we want to? I have the P4 and P4P and have gotten warnings flying inside that I am in a restricted airspace and have to check the permissions to fly where I  am when I am no where near an airport - the GPS is just inaccurate as to where I am..
2017-4-28
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-4-28 15:22
This topic brings me to this riddle.. Why didn't DJI choose to make atti mode available to the Mavic?  I would like to think that a physical switch wouldn't cost that much and veer them to say no need.. Also - why not have a way to disable GPS mode completely when we want to? I have the P4 and P4P and have gotten warnings flying inside that I am in a restricted airspace and have to check the permissions to fly where I  am when I am no where near an airport - the GPS is just inaccurate as to where I am..

This topic brings me to this riddle.. Why didn't DJI choose to make atti mode available to the Mavic?

I specifically asked Ken that once and he said he doesn't know. For what it's worth here's my speculation on the reason.
2017-4-28
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

As Dronist said, you can't select ATTI mode, but maybe you already knew that. To answer your question, I believe if you could do this it would initially continue moving like the platform you launched from but quickly glide to a stop due to wind resistance -- and would drift in the same direction as any wind current that's present.
2017-4-28
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-28 15:55
This topic brings me to this riddle.. Why didn't DJI choose to make atti mode available to the Mavic?

I specifically asked Ken that once and he said he doesn't know. For what it's worth here's my speculation on the reason.

Just created a thread that I hope will get some response from DJI (wishful thinking).. But I would at least like the option to turn GPS off when you have VPS.. I had a TON of warnings and also was stopped to say I had permission to fly.. Looking at the logs according to Airdata - I went from New York to someplace in Mexico.. Kind of annoying when you are in class G airspace..
2017-4-28
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-28 15:56

As Dronist said, you can't select ATTI mode, but maybe you already knew that. To answer your question, I believe if you could do this it would initially continue moving like the platform you launched from but quickly glide to a stop due to wind resistance -- and would drift in the same direction as any wind current that's present.

Yes if ATTI mode was present this is exactly what will happen..  I was laughing at this one guy on youtube who was trying to land his mavic in the back of a moving truck.. The only thing he managed to prove is how durable the Mavic can be - but when he would try to land and it sensed it was on the truck, it would immediately compensate to stay in the same place in relation to the ground and GPS - not the back of the truck..

If you have to launch from something, make sure you are the back of whatever it is and that you are moving forward away from it.. Landing, well - you better hope you can hand catch it..
2017-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules