Motor failure fail-safe system
4774 17 2015-3-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
franknesss
lvl.2

United States

Would this be a possible firmware upgrade for the Inspire 1 anytime soon? Seems like it's a pretty important function that would really increase the safety for everyone.

http://techcrunch.com/2014/03/05/quadcopters-never-have-to-crash-again-thanks-to-this-software-based-fail-safe-system/
2015-3-5
Use props
peter.a.bosmans
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6321191 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Neat little trick this. Would love DJI to put it in a future firmware-upgrade!
2015-3-5
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Not possible.
The Inspire's power to weight ratio means it is far too underpowered to fly on three motors.
2015-3-5
Use props
AegisFC
lvl.3
Flight distance : 12372 ft
United States

Wouldn't have to fly.  More like a controlled crash.  If you could at least direct it, maybe land it in a safer area.  Kinda like auto rotation on a helicopter.  (Completely different principle, I know, just nothing else I can think of to compare it to)
2015-3-5
Use props
SkySight
lvl.4
Flight distance : 143566828 ft
United States

I totally agree with AegisFC. I've been a fixed wing airliners for many years and i would think that if the B-2 can fly with the assistance of its computer, then a quad should be able to do the same thing in an emergency mode.
The entire flying model would change in the event of an engine failure to where the two working engines control the decent and forward power, while the other working engine without it's co-engine partner could control the yaw & direction that the quad should be able to at least have enough self control to crash on all four landing gears and a fairly low vertical speed. The trick would be to make sure it could handle the fail-safe altitude if it needs to go over a building. Maybe one can set an emergency landing point on the GPS if the emergency were triggered. I'd rather mine fall into trees slowly then drop like a rock at at 120mph when it finally hits the ground or someone.
2015-3-5
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Again...... Not possible (with the Inspire).
The physics of multirotor fixed pitch flight means the loss of one rotor would put the craft into an uncontrollable fast meeting with planet Earth.
The algorithms that are keeping the quads airborne you see in the video are only possible because they weigh peanuts and have a high power to weight ratio. The Inspire weighs nearly 3kg AUW and only has four 3510 KV350's for thrust!!
2015-3-5
Use props
franknesss
lvl.2

United States

markjacobs.talk Posted at 2015-3-6 04:39
Not possible.
The Inspire's power to weight ratio means it is far too underpowered to fly on three m ...

How do you know this?
2015-3-5
Use props
franknesss
lvl.2

United States

AegisFC Posted at 2015-3-6 04:59
Wouldn't have to fly.  More like a controlled crash.  If you could at least direct it, maybe land it ...

anything better than dropping like a rock. Controlled crashes and a chance to move to a safer area is def what i would prefer
2015-3-5
Use props
cobcrate
lvl.3
Flight distance : 358412 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Pretty amazing the things computers can keep airborn these days though! A shame the estimates here seem to indicate this won't be possible on the Inspire.
2015-3-5
Use props
FrostyThe2nd
lvl.2

United States

I say this should be tested on Mythbusters.   Both Jamie and Adam each got an Inspire as gifts.
2015-3-5
Use props
carlton.forrest
lvl.1

United States

It's interesting to find this post.  I think the inspire may already have this.  I was flying my inspire while my son was flying a smaller drone.  We ended up colliding the drones which sent his drone straight to the ground.  However, the inspire 1 lost a prop (broke) and dropped about 20-30 ft before recovering... it was making a lot of noise (I'm assuming because the remaining three props were throttled up to compensate for the loss of the fourth) but it was controllable  and I was able to have a controlled landing.  It was quite impressive.  My old Phantom 2 Vision+ had something similar happen and it went straight to the ground - so I wonder if there isn't something new in the Inspire flight controller.
2015-3-5
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Because I have designed and built many multi rotor platforms from scratch. 3510/350's  swinging 13" props do not have enough thrust to do what you ask of them.
2015-3-5
Use props
jimhare
Second Officer
Flight distance : 239035 ft
Australia

markjacobs.talk Posted at 2015-3-6 15:22
Because I have designed and built many multi rotor platforms from scratch. 3510/350's  swinging 13 ...

How do you explain Carlton's results in the post above?  ^^^^^
2015-3-6
Use props
lucaoms
lvl.3
Flight distance : 599049 ft
  • >>>
Italy

markjacobs.talk Posted at 2015-3-6 15:22
Because I have designed and built many multi rotor platforms from scratch. 3510/350's  swinging 13 ...

?????
please......
2015-3-6
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
United Kingdom

jimhare Posted at 2015-3-6 18:13
How do you explain Carlton's results in the post above?  ^^^^^

I assume he had part of a prop remaining.

Does nobody think that if DJI had implemented '3 prop safety algorithms' into the Inspire they would be singing it from the rooftops as an 'Industry First safety' feature...blah, blah etc, etc?  
2015-3-6
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Please what?  You would like me to design you a platform?

It really isn't that hard - educate yourself with eCalc and go from there. eCalc

Work out your AUW and spec your motors, esc's, power, PDS etc. Since you want hover around mid-stick (for a multi) work out the thrust for each motor and diivide by the number of arms. Then divide this number by 2 and allow circa 10% for overhead.
Be careful with your prop selection (both length and pitch) since getting this wrong will overwork the motors AND draw excessive current through your powertrain.
I could write pages on the physics behind build and design of an airframe but I do not imagine for one minute you are interested.....

2015-3-6
Use props
lucaoms
lvl.3
Flight distance : 599049 ft
  • >>>
Italy

markjacobs.talk Posted at 2015-3-6 18:51
Please what?  You would like me to design you a platform?

It really isn't that hard - educate your ...

Please...
we are talking to have a better line to fall
you are talking about design a platform
You saw that is impossible , fly is impossible ok ( we do not need that a new teacher explain that a quadrirotor don't fly only with 3 motors) but I'm sure that for example go up to 150% power in opposit motor we can improve line of fall
you know wht is named angle of fall in aeronautich? and you know what to calculate it?
ok  inspire have this angle about 90 degree , and if you can imporove only 30 degree this angle you ca reduce impact.
form me it's possible to hve this opportunity , with inspire and with phantom , are you agree?
remeber NOT TO FLY WITH 3 MOTORS , but have a better line of fall , are you sure that is not possible?
it's ok?
I build aeronautich parts by 25 years ( not for drone , but for helicopters and aeroplane,   www.omsht.it  ) , and now I'm preparing analysis of risk for my inspire one , to have a ENAC certification
by
2015-3-6
Use props
markaguille
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2031818 ft
Guernsey

I'don't rather see mine spinning down slowly than plummeting down at tv. Regardless of what self acclaimed expert says.

Hard landing versus softer landing? Hmm..?
2015-3-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules