4592 55 2017-4-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
pritchiedotcom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125738 ft
United Kingdom

Universal Drone Posted at 2017-4-30 13:48
Another similarly sized 100% crop taken from a RAW.

The difference is night and day - its clearly crap jpeg compression at play.

Yes, you've got.  I came to the same conclusion, the jpeg compression/quality/PP being used by default was creating posterising of your image.  I feel this was caused by the module that manages the shutter switch.. ;-) It's not yet learnt to integrate with the equipment 100%, however being a professional module I am sure it will, and take some stunning photos using the Mavic once it has.  
I've seen some great video/photos produced.  Stick with it and enjoy.  I look forward to seeing your results.  Good luck!
2017-5-2
Use props
pritchiedotcom
lvl.4
Flight distance : 125738 ft
United Kingdom

laceyboy Posted at 2017-4-30 19:40
So you said you are a pro in UAV and photographer but you used Mavic like a P&S camera and jumped right to conclusion that its quality is terrible.
You should have known everything before coming here to "ask".

now now.. we all panic when we get a new bit of kit with great expectations, however I must say I am a little disappointed with the "attitude" at the beginning.
Also it's worth noting, as a professional too, it means nothing more than you've been paid for your work, not that you or it is any good.
It's not what you call yourself, it is what you create that defines you as a good photographer...
I am sure he'll post some cracking photos/video in the future.

PS. Welcome to the forum "Universal Drone" person!!
2017-5-2
Use props
cristianc
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1008143 ft
Australia

Cheers for the investigation, I do shoot both raw & jpeg and never noticed the quality issue in the jpeg.
2017-5-3
Use props
Universal Drone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7014 ft
United Kingdom

Thanks guys, some good people on here, some not so...

I always find the "YOU SHOULD KNOW EVERYTHING" attitude puzzling, I cant know everything without asking, that's why I came here.
I got the Mavic, charged it and took a couple of shots before it went dark - not even knowing the thing could shoot raw tbh, it never occurred to me!
I naturally expected something better than a 10 year old camera phone, as you would - I assume DJI just threw jpg in there for people who arent used to processing RAW files and therefore have lower expectations in general.

I've not been able to properly experiment with it yet as its been VERY windy in the UK this week.

Thanks Guys!

2017-5-4
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Universal Drone Posted at 2017-4-30 05:33
You clearly have very low standards, its crap.
I expected something as good as or better than my £150 phone camera, and its worse, FAR worse.

I have never used the jpg processing from my P4 or my P4P - actually not even from my Canon 7D.. Raw is the only way I will process photos - except in the case of time lapse on the P4P..  You do have to remember it's a tiny sensor on a tiny camera with the Mavic.. Even the P4P's 1 inch sensor will not produce the same results as you would expect since there is processing done to the RAW file itself to take care of barrel distortion and vignetting..
2017-5-10
Use props
Universal Drone
lvl.1
Flight distance : 7014 ft
United Kingdom

Yes I too only shoot raw - but i wasnt actually aware the mavic could do that until i posted this thread!!!

image quality is ok in raw but it seems i have a camera fault too... the left 1/6th of the image is out of focus :-(
2017-5-10
Use props
4wd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 545817 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Try a camera reset.
If the out of focus area persists try tapping the focus somewhat to that side.
Edges will often look softer but it's not unusual you will crop some of it away in any case.
I wouldn't consider exchanging it unless it's pretty bad as it's a common issue one side or the other seems to almost drift out intermittently.
Something about the way it focuses is not quite how you imagine I suspect - some kind of digital processing is going on rather than elements moving like a normal lens.
2017-5-10
Use props
fans3472acc2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 277064 ft
Finland

Universal Drone Posted at 2017-4-30 13:48
Another similarly sized 100% crop taken from a RAW.

The difference is night and day - its clearly crap jpeg compression at play.

Thanks for going to the trouble to go back and photo in RAW.  And by the way, I don't understand why there are so many immature babies on these forums who have to over react and can't keep a polite, critical demeanor in their responses and contributions.
2017-5-10
Use props
fans3472acc2
lvl.1
Flight distance : 277064 ft
Finland

laceyboy Posted at 2017-4-30 19:40
So you said you are a pro in UAV and photographer but you used Mavic like a P&S camera and jumped right to conclusion that its quality is terrible.
You should have known everything before coming here to "ask".

Knock off the immature posts. Treat people with respect here, or go find a board where other kids are fling insults at buddy.
2017-5-10
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

Universal Drone Posted at 2017-5-10 09:36
Yes I too only shoot raw - but i wasnt actually aware the mavic could do that until i posted this thread!!!

image quality is ok in raw but it seems i have a camera fault too... the left 1/6th of the image is out of focus :-(

I have seen a number of people send their Mavics back for this same issue.. There are even videos on Youtube with this issue brought up.
2017-5-11
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

I can't believe the level of disrespect from some of the members. I didn't think the first shot was great either, and even if I did think it was good that does not give me the right to insult the OP for it. Some people need to learn the saying "If you dont have anything nice to say, then don't say anything".  You can have a different opinion on something and thats ok, just understand that others have the same right to have other opinions.
Thanks!
2017-5-11
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-5-11 07:50
I can't believe the level of disrespect from some of the members. I didn't think the first shot was great either, and even if I did think it was good that does not give me the right to insult the OP for it. Some people need to learn the saying "If you dont have anything nice to say, then don't say anything".  You can have a different opinion on something and thats ok, just understand that others have the same right to have other opinions.
Thanks!

Yeah, taking a good picture with the mavic is not exactly easy. Seen your shots and they're pretty good.
2017-5-11
Use props
Asainz320
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1061594 ft
  • >>>
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-11 08:03
Yeah, taking a good picture with the mavic is not exactly easy. Seen your shots and they're pretty good.

Thank you so much!
I do understand that the camera on the Mavic is not the best, but I wasn't expecting any better. I got the Mavic because of the portability and not because of the quality of the camera. If I had been more concerned about the quality of my images I would have gone for a P4P. With that said, I'm pretty happy with how the camera performs and for my taste its works pretty well.
2017-5-11
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Asainz320 Posted at 2017-5-11 08:13
Thank you so much!
I do understand that the camera on the Mavic is not the best, but I wasn't expecting any better. I got the Mavic because of the portability and not because of the quality of the camera. If I had been more concerned about the quality of my images I would have gone for a P4P. With that said, I'm pretty happy with how the camera performs and for my taste its works pretty well.

Yeah, same here. When dji launched it I was pretty excited about the size. Better than building a small quad that does half as much. It's practically carrying a water bottle

Just photoshopped this from a shot I made yesterday. Takes a lot of post work.

frm12.jpg
2017-5-11
Use props
Bond006
lvl.2
Flight distance : 9908 ft
United States

Universal Drone Posted at 2017-4-30 13:00
Sounds like you have a hardware issue there - you could link to youtube.
Certainly flies well yes, im yet to try the video in anger as it was windy and raining today.
There is some very impressive Mavic based video on the net so I think you either have hardware or setup issues.

I was new to this at the time and was watching the cached video on my tablet and not the video on theSD card, however,  when I modified the tablet's video settings, the 1920 x 720 was super sharp.  thank you for your response.
2017-5-21
Use props
Doots
lvl.3
Flight distance : 682598 ft
United States

Universal Drone Posted at 2017-4-30 01:00
What?!? its bloody awful!! are you viewing this on a phone?

Haha!

Yeah I agree. Looks like a low quality jpg
2017-5-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules