Camera Gimbal Glitches on my first actual flight.
940 7 2017-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Reuben Pillay
lvl.3
Flight distance : 91480450 ft
  • >>>
Mauritius

Peeps I need some advice... after I had issues with my Phantom 4, (no crash but loss of feed - video was posted here) I got myself a Phantom 4 Pro...

While i had done a few 360° shots with it, I had not tried an actual flight - I did my first real flight last Thursday and I got an issue midflight where the gimbal malfunctioned... you can check it out at 06:24 in the below video...

Is it a known issue? Should I send the drone back on warranty to get it fixed? Knowing that where I am it will cost me a lot in shipping and time...

It's the same reason why i didn't send the Phantom 4 back to DJI while it is still under warranty - and DJI was telling me that I would have to pay for repairs because the drone was for the french market and the HK dept will not repair it unless I pay for it... and the NL dept that deals with the french market will not accept shipments from non french locations...

So I now have two DJI drones under warranty that have issues :/

Suggestions anyone? or may be someone working at DJI Can help?

2017-5-1
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

When you were taking off it showed some wind activities and when you went higher, you might have caught a strong wind gust. What I would do is an automatic Gimbal calibration and then try flying again with low wind speed. Good Luck!
2017-5-1
Use props
Jerryjin
lvl.1
Flight distance : 583146 ft
United States

Have you attempt to calibrate your phantom 4 gimbal and IMU,please try it and might fix your issues.
2017-5-1
Use props
Reuben Pillay
lvl.3
  • >>>
Mauritius

Hi no, I did not attempt calibration yet - and while it was indeed windy when I took off, the wind cleared seconds later, cause you see the trees are barely moving... I did get the notification 'strong winds, fly with caution' or smth of the sort - and also did see the propellers in the field of view, but i was baffled, cause I wasn't over the tree line and the trees were not moving at all...

Plus in the meantime I stumbled across a forum that regroups several people having that very same issue: http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/gimbal-flips-mid-air.104157/

They call it the gimbal flip - lots of such videos available online... :/

So hoping DJI fixes this!

2017-5-1
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Could you happen to clarify where you bought the unit? The video does depict it to be a particularly windy day, has this happened on a more subdued day?
2017-5-1
Use props
Reuben Pillay
lvl.3
  • >>>
Mauritius

Hi Jamie, thanks for getting back to me...

Yes I got the notification about the wind again today (Second time flying since the incident) - but there wasn't any breeze... though the drone was a bit high up... there could have been winds again... but we had perfect Sunny weather - no clouds - calm waves... and Windytv says wind speed was 3 knots... https://www.windy.com/?-20.457,57.311,17,m:c43ahKG   was flying at this hotel on the beach today - didn't go higher than 80m or so... but stayed most of the time below 30m...

I did not fly sideways for long before getting this... ( I did see loads of people on the internet - with youtube videos called Gimbal Flip - that had the same problem)

I bought it in Mauritius - from a shop who gets his supplies from Dubai - do you want the serial number to look it up?
2017-5-4
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

I do like the color for what it is worth.
2017-5-4
Use props
Rodger8
Second Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

Looks like it tried a restart. Check your cable. It may have just been a fluke.
2017-5-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules