12Next >
3250 46 2017-5-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Th3K33p3r
New
Flight distance : 52218 ft
Canada

I just like to get the ball rolling and report another drone stolen.  hopeing to receive it back but I don't think it will happen.

stolen late saturday night from a parked vehicle.  april 29th 2017.

sn is P76UDH19B200C7 P3P.

Stolen with the drone is all the items of charger, drone, controller and the Nanuk 945 yellow hard case.
2017-5-1
Use props
towheaded-pilot
lvl.4
Flight distance : 35125 ft
  • >>>
United States

Why would anyone leave a drone inside a parked car. Thats a magnet to thiefs. Hope you recover it.
2017-5-1
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Most insurance covers stolen items from a car. File a police report ASAP and contact your insurance.
2017-5-1
Use props
fans55ae5496
lvl.4

United States

providing the location it was stolen from may be useful in the recovery
2017-5-1
Use props
KM5RG-Robert
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2075213 ft
United States

fans55ae5496 Posted at 2017-5-1 20:20
providing the location it was stolen from may be useful in the recovery

Canada, apparently.
2017-5-1
Use props
RichJ53
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1837356 ft
  • >>>
United States

sorry for your loss and I hope you can find it. Was the car locked? Insurance ? It will be hard to locate but maybe check the local hobby shop or Craig's listings
2017-5-1
Use props
Michaelt89
lvl.3
Flight distance : 336880 ft
Israel

Initiate RTH and it will come back..huh just kidding
2017-5-2
Use props
Dav 0
lvl.2
Flight distance : 277585 ft

Phantoms have a feature to bind to a mobile/tablet device making them useless to a thief. You can also activate find my drone to recover it.

Oh no, that's on my feature wish not the actual feature list. Sorry.
2017-5-2
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

I'm sorry to hear. I would concur with what's been mentioned thus far and file a police report as soon as possible. Best of luck to you in recovering the aircraft.
2017-5-2
Use props
Aeromirage
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

Sorry for your loss. That sux!!
This is part of the reason I prefer to fly where nobody is around. Less chance of some creep watching me put my gear in the trunk and then following me (my car) to somewhere to break into it when parked.
I never store my drone in the trunk as heat is very unkind to batteries. But would hate to have car damaged and drone stolen if I stopped at the store on the way home from a shoot.
Hope you find it or the crook has an outbreak of conscience and returns it.

2017-5-2
Use props
Th3K33p3r
New
Canada

Ok, the p3p does not have the find my drone feature.  the p4 does have this feature. can't wait to try it out. the p3p is no where to be found.  pawnshops have my info.  I should have taken all i could when i had to abandon my vehicle for the night.  vehicle insurance does not cover items inside or in the box.  i was going to go thru house insurance but decided not to. I will just replace items as i go along. cheaper in the long run.  someone mentioned a way of locking drone to my device. how do i go about that?
2017-10-29
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Th3K33p3r Posted at 2017-10-29 12:28
someone mentioned a way of locking drone to my device. how do i go about that?

You can't.  In the very same post he said "Oh no, that's on my feature wish not the actual feature list. Sorry".  
2017-10-29
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Maybe whoever stole it will decide to play awhile before fencing.  With luck it could go into atti and maybe chew up his thieving face.
2017-10-29
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
Flight distance : 961 ft
United States

Most likely it's stuck in a tree somewhere after the Jack A$$ tried to fly it...
2017-10-29
Use props
Phantom One
Second Officer
Flight distance : 135299 ft
United States

Having the ability to lock some features in the firmware would be nice.  Anything to make the drone useless if stolen.
2017-10-29
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Phantom One Posted at 2017-10-29 13:34
Having the ability to lock some features in the firmware would be nice.  Anything to make the drone useless if stolen.

Generally I think that would be a good idea...
Except I can see that becoming a huge issue here.  Think about it now, all the folks that have problems simply because they don't read the manual or pay attention to what they are doing.  Can you imagine what it would be like after they all start coming here complaining they are locked out of there drone, and blaming DJI and everyone else because of it...I just don't see that going well in the end.  But hey great idea...
2017-10-29
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

Phantom One Posted at 2017-10-29 13:34

That would mean that if you bought one secondhand, the seller could just deactivate it after he has your money.  The used market would be absolute crap after that.

It would also mean I wouldn't be able to use this nice P3P I bought for cheap that came with a yellow case.
2017-10-29
Use props
Phantom One
Second Officer
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-29 13:39
Generally I think that would be a good idea...
Except I can see that becoming a huge issue here.  Think about it now, all the folks that have problems simply because they don't read the manual or pay attention to what they are doing.  Can you imagine what it would be like after they all start coming here complaining they are locked out of there drone, and blaming DJI and everyone else because of it...I just don't see that going well in the end.  But hey great idea...

LOL, very true..  

Maybe having the ability to have the drone email/text it's coordinates every so often if no password is entered.  Now if they forget the password they will just have to deal with all the emails/texts until they remember it again.. lol

Edit:
Maybe buying a GPS device and hide it in the shell.. then you would have protection if the drone were to "fly away" while you had it and added protection if it were stolen..
2017-10-29
Use props
Th3K33p3r
New
Canada

Phantom One, i like your thought on the location notification.  I was hoping DJI would tell me when it is in the air and where. they were talking about recording the s/n if there was an infraction on say airport perimeter infraction
2017-10-29
Use props
Phantom One
Second Officer
United States

Th3K33p3r Posted at 2017-10-29 13:54
Phantom One, i like your thought on the location notification.  I was hoping DJI would tell me when it is in the air and where. they were talking about recording the s/n if there was an infraction on say airport perimeter infraction

The technology is pretty much already built in the drones.  Being that the location is already being recorded DJI could give us the ability to AUTO sync our flights and be able to set the frequency.  Or just give us the ability to turn it on by logging into our accounts if the drone is stolen.
2017-10-29
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Phantom One Posted at 2017-10-29 13:49
LOL, very true..  

Maybe having the ability to have the drone email/text it's coordinates every so often if no password is entered.  Now if they forget the password they will just have to deal with all the emails/texts until they remember it again.. lol

Sure, but let's not get ahead of ourselves either, as other have mentioned...some of this stuff can easily be used against us too.
Sometimes it is best to leave the sleeping dog alone and just deal with it as is...
2017-10-29
Use props
Phantom One
Second Officer
United States

Genghis9 Posted at 2017-10-29 14:06
Sure, but let's not get ahead of ourselves either, as other have mentioned...some of this stuff can easily be used against us too.
Sometimes it is best to leave the sleeping dog alone and just deal with it as is...

True again..  
2017-10-29
Use props
ALABAMA
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Sad thing is, if it 'registered again, DJI couldn't even tell you because of the privacy laws.  

2017-10-29
Use props
Phantom One
Second Officer
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-10-29 14:13
Sad thing is, if it 'registered again, DJI couldn't even tell you because of the privacy laws.

Just when you think you have it figured out..  another issue pops up  lol  Maybe signature of seller required before re-registering allowed
2017-10-29
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

ALABAMA Posted at 2017-10-29 14:13

Yeah, but the thief does not have to register it again, it is already registered. He can fly it whenever he likes, seeing he has the complete kit. And the aircraft will not necessarily broadcast when or where it is flown, as there may be no cell connection where it is being flown, and without cell, there is no ability to broadcast anything.
2017-10-29
Use props
Genghis9
Second Officer
United States

Geebax Posted at 2017-10-29 14:31
Yeah, but the thief does not have to register it again, it is already registered. He can fly it whenever he likes, seeing he has the complete kit. And the aircraft will not necessarily broadcast when or where it is flown, as there may be no cell connection where it is being flown, and without cell, there is no ability to broadcast anything.

It chaps my butt that this jerk knob is getting away with this, he's out there right now trying to recover it from the tree he flew it in too.  Heck he may be right here now in the forum trying to get us to help him figure out what to do...that rat bastar*
2017-10-29
Use props
Irate Retro
lvl.4
United States

without cell, there is no ability to broadcast anything.

Exactly.  However that's where DJI's new SnoopScope could come to the "rescue".  Fly close to any of those airports (or hobbyists with receivers) and the serial number is nabbed.  Sounds fine until you realize what else that means.
2017-10-29
Use props
Phantom One
Second Officer
United States

Ah yeah, no cell.  Maybe open WiFi connection.. wouldn't take much to send out coordinates.
2017-10-29
Use props
Geebax
First Officer
Australia

Phantom One Posted at 2017-10-29 14:47
Ah yeah, no cell.  Maybe open WiFi connection.. wouldn't take much to send out coordinates.

Not going to happen. Only one Phantom uses WiFi, the P3 Standard, none of the others do. And for the controlling device, phone or tablet, to do that would require it to be in range and join the network.
2017-10-29
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

The fc40 uses WiFi, the phantom 2 uses wifi, the phantom 2 vision uses WiFi the phantom 2 vision + uses WiFi, the phantom 3 standard uses WiFi, and the phantom 3 SE uses WiFi.
2017-10-30
Use props
solentlife
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Dunno about Canada ... but in UK personal items stolen from a car if not covered by Car Insurance are often covered by House Contents Insurance.

I have had occasion to claim for gear stolen from my car and another time from my yacht .... both occasions House Contents covered without argument.

Nigel
2017-10-30
Use props
Mark The Droner
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Oh,and the phantom 3 4k uses wifi too!
2017-10-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Another sad case of someone with no class or conscience.
In some countries, these low lives get fingers lopped off. Or best removed at the wrist, even better.

I'm Pretty certain, who ever took it, knew exactly what was in a popular Plasticase Nanuk 945 drone case.
I have the black version of it. But black orange green or yellow, they are a distinct case for drone carrying.

Suspect everybody...

RedHotPoker
2017-10-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Mark The Droner Posted at 2017-10-30 02:53
The fc40 uses WiFi, the phantom 2 uses wifi, the phantom 2 vision uses WiFi the phantom 2 vision + uses WiFi, the phantom 3 standard uses WiFi, and the phantom 3 SE uses WiFi.

How long did that list take to assemble? ;-)

RedHotPoker
2017-10-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

towheaded-pilot Posted at 2017-5-1 19:15
Why would anyone leave a drone inside a parked car. Thats a magnet to thiefs. Hope you recover it.

Why would someone of intelligence not store a large case in the trunk, or take it with them...?

Went to pee, wanted to grab a bite, had an appointment, too trusting of the public, grocery shopping...
Sometimes we simply forget to empty them valuables out of the auto, knowing that cleptomaniacs are capable of wandering past my car...

RedHotPoker
2017-10-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

What part of the country are you from, so we can be aware of it, within our specific locales?
Otherwise it's useless to try and consider us helping find it.
Canada, is a big area...

RedHotPoker
2017-10-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Michaelt89 Posted at 2017-5-2 04:27
Initiate RTH and it will come back..huh just kidding

Huh, yeah? ;-)

Hope it never happens to you...huh!! Wicked grin

RedHotPoker
2017-10-30
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-2 14:46
I'm sorry to hear. I would concur with what's been mentioned thus far and file a police report as soon as possible. Best of luck to you in recovering the aircraft.

Why doesn't DJI have a method of tracking a lost or in these cases of theft, stolen drones, helping the rightful owners get back their property. In this situation, the cost of the extras, almost equal the price of the drone, so it's actually twice as much in lost value.

Perhaps in the future, DJI will realize the importance of having the ability to track a lost or stolen drone.
& they will provide a system, perhaps even a link to the map Coordinates.

RedHotPoker
2017-10-30
Use props
Phantom One
Second Officer
United States

RedHotPoker Posted at 2017-10-30 12:22
Why doesn't DJI have a method of tracking a lost or in these cases of theft, stolen drones, helping the rightful owners get back their property. In this situation, the cost of the extras, almost equal the price of the drone, so it's actually twice as much in lost value.

Perhaps in the future, DJI will realize the importance of having the ability to track a lost or stolen drone.

Ideas have been thrown about
2017-10-30
Use props
Dockater
lvl.4
Flight distance : 139649 ft
Germany

Hi Th3K33p3r,

It would not be big deal to have the drone password protected, by every start up or link between drone and controller, or link with a new battery, whatever. This would not be very limiting, but it won’t stop theft, it never did with car radios or mobile telephones either. This is what insurance companies are for, make sure one of your policies covers this sort of thing. At the same time an insurance against fraudulent insurance policies may be useful.

Sorry about your loss.
2017-10-30
Use props
12Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules