7771 153 2017-5-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
chalde
Second Officer
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

Don't bother. He can't read, unless petty thieves are involved.
2017-5-8
Use props
ALPHA_MAVIC
lvl.2
Australia

method007 Posted at 2017-5-8 12:14
Read the thread.  His dangerous flying perpetuates regulation.  You know how it's now going to be a crime to fly of stadiums in Texas?  That's from people who flew over stadiums even after a regulation was passed saying not to.

It's very simple.  If people don't do unsafe things - the law doesn't pass laws making those unsafe things illegal.  We don't need more hassles as drone pilots.

Law passed isn't because someone broke the law.... it is to prevent people from breaking the law.  Obviously it isn't working lol
2017-5-9
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

ALPHA_MAVIC Posted at 2017-5-9 09:29
Law passed isn't because someone broke the law.... it is to prevent people from breaking the law.  Obviously it isn't working lol

Laws are being adjusted to new circumstances.
In our case, daily ignorance of common sense in drone flying has resulted in harsh laws, country by country, month by month.
You seem to have no understanding of laws, what they are good for and why they are passed.

I think the drone community would be better off when you give up flying and walk your nice dog instead!

2017-5-10
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

A lot of anarchists in this thread.  

In the US, the FAA pays attention to your YouTube and Instagram vids.  Matter of time before they come knock on your door over here.
2017-5-10
Use props
theskyexplorer
lvl.1
Belgium

New post !

https://www.instagram.com/p/BT9dyiXlFw9/

Do you guys like it ?
2017-5-11
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

theskyexplorer Posted at 2017-5-11 12:00
New post !

https://www.instagram.com/p/BT9dyiXlFw9/

Good job, lovely colours, beautiful place..
2017-5-11
Use props
boostedford
lvl.4
Flight distance : 144478 ft
United States

Fractures Posted at 2017-5-2 09:26
I'm with OP on this one, almost 90% of all the sh** we bought these drones to see is restricted. Wanna fly in National Parks.. restricted, State Parks... restricted, Cities...restricted, the Beach...restricted. I didn't buy my drone to fly around in a empty field and its not how I plan to use it.

The people who are causing increased Drone regulation are the ones flying onto people back porches and flying their drones into buildings because they dont know how they work. If we are responsible pilots then there shouldnt be anything wrong with flying in these areas which is why people who are confident choose to do so.

this. i didnt pay 1000+ for a drone with an attached camera to fly in a crappy field (being in nyc thats all thats really left to "legally" fly in) with nothing interesting to see. if that was the case i would of just gotten a cheap rc plane. theres literally no point in having the drone then if i couldnt even use it as it was intended to be used: a flying camera for photography/videography.
2017-5-12
Use props
Parkker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8891 ft
United States

If no regs existed, drone pilots who cause problems or damage would still be liable.  The regs exist to cover the ass of the enforcement agency who will be pointed at when an inevitable incident occurs.
I believe it is delusional to imagine regs exist only because of people who have caused problems. These rules would be created whether or not a single accident or incident had ever been filed.
There will always be people who bend or ignore or are ignorant of these rules. The only way to totally enforce them would be to have strict flight restrictions in place that cannot be overridden without a waiver.
2017-5-12
Use props
Dobmatt
First Officer
Flight distance : 1831050 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Aside all this 4 pages long blah-blah-blah about good boy/bad boy, right or wrong etc., what makes you think that your footage is so special? Crazy, unseen? Where? What? Are you going to show us perhaps The Golden Bridge next time, preferably embedded in famous morning fog? How about Acropolis circled around? C'mon, each rivet in Eiffel Tower was photographed and filmed million times before from every possible angle. Show me the patina on Big Ben arms from 3 meters away and I may take my hat off for you ...
2017-5-12
Use props
fans3257d299
New
Flight distance : 11040 ft
United States

Nicely done!
2017-5-14
Use props
Rodger8
First Officer
Flight distance : 20145135 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-2 10:53
This is not all about speeding cars, there are many commercial pilots who have invested a lot of money and earn they're living flying drones, they can get permission to fly in many of these locations but have to bear the cost of applying for an SOP to photograph of film many of these areas.

They have trained, they have staff ,insurance, overheads , permission and there license, anyone else who wants to photograph or video in these areas can apply for there license put together an operations manual and then apply for specific operations permission, then in a legal manner go use they're drone.

Well stated. I spent a lot of time (6 Months) and money preparing for my Part 107 Exam. I am a much different Pilot now and rapidly came to the realization that the required knowledge is absolutely necessary.
2017-5-15
Use props
Parkker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8891 ft
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-10 13:40
A lot of anarchists in this thread.  

In the US, the FAA pays attention to your YouTube and Instagram vids.  Matter of time before they come knock on your door over here.

So how does FAA find out who you are and where you live from a YT Video?
BTW, the vast majority of drone footage on YT if deeply scrutinized in forensic manner is illegal.
I don't have a problem with sensible regulations but the FAA's regs are over the top.

For example, not being able to fly a tiny drone like Mavic out of LOS. I know many ranch owners who live out in the middle of nowhere who would find great efficiency and productivity gains from being able to fly a drone, even a Mavic to check cattle, fences, etc, but having to stay within LOS distance renders the drone virtually useless for any practical functions. Where they live there is absolutely no danger posed by this type of operation, flying low with a tiny drone with many safety features built in to prevent fly aways, RTH, live video feeds, etc. Even if it flew away there is no place within range it could go where it could strike anything other than dirt.

Full scale old school RC planes are more dangerous risk for fly away, heavier, internal combustion engines etc. I used to be in an RC  club and during the brief time I was there I saw several potentially hazardous crashes all which occurred why flying legally involving engine failures and crash, loss of radio  connection and nose diving unto roadway (luckily there was no vehicle underneath.)

Also, checking the FAA's new rules one cannot even fly an RC model at night anymore so all those cool airplanes people built that light up like a christmas tree can be shelved. Another ridiculous over the top bunch of nonsense.
2017-5-15
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

i don't like the music.
2017-5-16
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Parkker Posted at 2017-5-15 21:23
BTW, the vast majority of drone footage on YT if deeply scrutinized in forensic manner is illegal.
I don't have a problem with sensible regulations but the FAA's regs are over the top.

They don't unless the person who makes the video makes it obvious, and despite the occasional claims to the contrary they aren't spending time on social media trying to find offenders. I've no doubt that they'd use any evidence they can find against a person including social media (e.g., YouTube videos) and that they could use a subpoena to identify someone if they wanted to, but they aren't routinely monitoring social media as a way of finding violations.
2017-5-16
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Tracking you based on your YouTube account is not hard.  More than one case on that.  Here are some examples, but if you search, there are a ton of similar stories:

2017-5-16
Use props
method007
Second Officer
Flight distance : 110449 ft
  • >>>
United States

In the case of OP who is breaking nearly every drone regulations without any concern for the safety of other people or the future of the hobby, someone could simply report him with this link:

https://hotline.faa.gov/

They would then contact him through any means available, in this case probably Instagram.  It's incredibly easy.  As already posted, there are tons of stories of this already happening.

That's assuming the FAA have the time.  The FAA doesn't have the time or the money to pursue every person who feels like they are unique and don't have to follow the law.  Right now it's important that people in the hobby police it as the FAA watches the field expand over the next few years.

As a group it's vital we do not promote videos and photos from people who can't follow simple regulations.  Promoting that behavior will only lead to additional regulations as it has regarding State Parks, Fires and stadiums.  For every "I wouldn't have bought this if" person is another regulation waiting to get passed.  This is why it's so shocking that DJI still allows people to utilize their website as a jumping off point to push views to users illegal and dangerous drone flights - considering they have so much to lose with intense regulation.  

You can't cuss on this forum - but enadgering the public with your new DJI product?  No problem.

2017-5-16
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-16 02:57

They don't unless the person who makes the video makes it obvious, and despite the occasional claims to the contrary they aren't spending time on social media trying to find offenders. I've no doubt that they'd use any evidence they can find against a person including social media (e.g., YouTube videos) and that they could use a subpoena to identify someone if they wanted to, but they aren't routinely monitoring social media as a way of finding violations.

I think this used to be the case, but I read a while back that the FAA now has a dedicated department doing nothing but going over online content.
2017-5-16
Use props
Skold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 239170 ft
United States

method007 Posted at 2017-5-2 07:57
You're wrong.  Your decision to fly like that are why the rules exist today.  They can and will get much worse.  

You are not the only person who feels they are above the law.  

I disagree!  Drone regulation is pushed by special interest groups like companies who want to control that airspace for commercial needs and hysteria by those ignorant folks in public who think they are for spying.   Why do you think R/C as a hobby has lasted so long without ridiculous regulations?  It is not THAT different.
2017-5-16
Use props
Skold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 239170 ft
United States

Fractures Posted at 2017-5-2 09:26
I'm with OP on this one, almost 90% of all the sh** we bought these drones to see is restricted. Wanna fly in National Parks.. restricted, State Parks... restricted, Cities...restricted, the Beach...restricted. I didn't buy my drone to fly around in a empty field and its not how I plan to use it.

The people who are causing increased Drone regulation are the ones flying onto people back porches and flying their drones into buildings because they dont know how they work. If we are responsible pilots then there shouldnt be anything wrong with flying in these areas which is why people who are confident choose to do so.

I agree...No drones in National Parks, etc.?  WTF!!!
2017-5-16
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-16 11:14
I think this used to be the case, but I read a while back that the FAA now has a dedicated department doing nothing but going over online content.

I read a while back that the FAA now has a dedicated department doing nothing but going over online content.

Sorry, but what you heard isn't true; that's just a rumor that gets spread around the internet like stories about masked killers told around a campfire. In fact, read the "Note" at the bottom of the "hotline" page; it essentially says not to bother sending them links to videos showing violations unless you can provide lots of detail about the violation and that even then "federal rules of evidence severely limit the use of a video on a social media site as evidence". And believe me, if the FAA were fining drone owners on a regular basis you'd probably be hearing about it in the news and certainly in these forums.
2017-5-16
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-16 14:24
I read a while back that the FAA now has a dedicated department doing nothing but going over online content.

Sorry, but what you heard isn't true; that's just a rumor that gets spread around the internet like stories about masked killers around a campfire. In fact, read the "Note" at the bottom of the "hotline" page; it essentially says not to bother sending them links to videos showing violations unless you can provide lots of detail about the violation and that even then "federal rules of evidence severely limit the use of a video on a social media site as evidence". And believe me, if the FAA were fining drone owners on a regular basis you'd probably be hearing about it in the news and certainly in these forums.

Youtube is full of reports of this, so I think your information may be a little behind the times.
2017-5-16
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-16 14:51
Youtube is full of reports of this, so I think your information may be a little behind the times.

I think if something serious happens , someone hits a light aircraft and causes major accident or something similar, you will then see a rush to root out  those in breech of the rules because of some public outcry.
But I think as of now it's just a sleeping gun...
2017-5-16
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-16 14:51

Can you provide a more authoritative cite than a video from some guy on YouTube trying to generate views? YouTube isn't exactly the most reliable or authoritative source of information on what the FAA does or doesn't do -- or much of anything else for that matter. And anyway, the first video you linked to above got a ticket from Fish & Wildlife after they caught him flying in person; the other one claims he got a phone call from the FAA, which is unlikely and conveniently isn't provable one way or the other.
2017-5-16
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-16 15:10
Can you provide a more authoritative cite than a video from some guy on YouTube trying to generate views? YouTube isn't exactly the most reliable or authoritative source of information on what the FAA does or doesn't do -- or much of anything else for that matter. And anyway, the first video you linked to above got a ticket from Fish & Wildlife after they caught him flying in person; the other one claims he got a phone call from the FAA, which is unlikely but conveniently isn't provable one way or the other.

Go to the video link for the first one.  True, that was not the FAA, but a fine was handed down and he was not caught in person from what he says.  The cop found the vid online and came to his house.  At least this is what I gather.  I could be wrong.

In the Youtube notes, here is what he says:

Here's the video that I got the ticket for: Here's what I did with the ticket: Public Service Announcement, it's illegal to fly your drone at the Rocky Mountain Arsenal (National Wildlife Refuge). -~-~~-~~~-~~-~- Get my favorite drone, the DJI Mavic Pro! Directly from DJI Store: http://bit.ly/2nE8KjD Buy it from Amazon: http://amzn.to/2nkPILc -~-~~-~~~-~~-~-

2017-5-16
Use props
TrollsSlayer
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2017-5-16
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-16 15:10
Can you provide a more authoritative cite than a video from some guy on YouTube trying to generate views? YouTube isn't exactly the most reliable or authoritative source of information on what the FAA does or doesn't do -- or much of anything else for that matter. And anyway, the first video you linked to above got a ticket from Fish & Wildlife after they caught him flying in person; the other one claims he got a phone call from the FAA, which is unlikely and conveniently isn't provable one way or the other.

Every time I am turning around, I am hearing it and seeing it.  Check at the 2:50 mark:

2017-5-16
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-16 18:47
Every time I am turning around, I am hearing it and seeing it.  Check at the 2:50 mark:

That's just a couple of guys who made a YouTube "talk show" video with audio of a call-in from someone who claims his friend got a call from the FAA. That's a long way from being an authoritative cite to show that the FAA is actively monitoring social media, much less that there's an entire department doing so. In fact, I thought there was more credibility in the video you posted by the guy who calls himself "D-Ray" and who filmed himself in his own garage while wearing a wife-beater*; at least D-Ray claimed to have firsthand experience.

* A sleeveless shirt.

2017-5-17
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-5-17 02:22
That's just a couple of guys who made a YouTube "talk show" video with audio of a call-in from someone who claims his friend got a call from the FAA. That's a long way from being an authoritative cite to show that the FAA is actively monitoring social media, much less that there's an entire department doing so. In fact, I thought there was more credibility in the video you posted by the guy who calls himself "D-Ray" and who filmed himself in his own garage while wearing a wife-beater*; at least D-Ray claimed to have firsthand experience.

* A sleeveless shirt.

That is a pretty respected show from what I understand.

It sounds like I could throw up 10 more but you have made up your mind so I will leave it here.

Edit:
I'll post my thoughts on the subject here.
1. In law enforcement, it is all about the numbers.  How many people are you catching.  How many citations are you writing.  
2. Drone people are easy targets.  They post their illegal activity online in public for anyone to watch so there is hardly any investigation needed.
3. If I were the guy given the side task at the FAA or Fish and Wildlife, or whevever I worked, I would contract Google, pay a small fee, and have them give me a simple AI that scours all videos on YouTube and pick out possible drone violations automatically for me.  I can then review the videos that were red flagged to make a determination of violation.  This would make me the hero for the department since I would be one guy doing the work of 100 guys.  It is all about metrics folks.
4. In addition to the above, I get freebies by anti-dronists calling in and reporting violations of video's for me.  I am sure there are people out there that hate these things more than anything and would be happy to bust every drone person on the planet if they could.

As in any company or law enforcement agency, metrics metrics metrics.  It is not about who's life they are screwing up, but how many fish you are reeling in.  Great Job there with all the citations you wrote there!  You are getting a promotion!

Post illegal content at your own peril.  They may not get you today, they may not get you tomorrow, but they are coming for ya one day.  Just my two cents.

Note that Google probably has all your contact information already, but if not, they have your IP and that takes one phone call to your ISP to find out which customer was using it that day.  Don't think you can hide this way either.
2017-5-17
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-17 05:59
That is a pretty respected show from what I understand.

It sounds like I could throw up 10 more but you have made up your mind so I will leave it here.

I would disagree, the amount of resources time and effort it would take to track someone down from a youtube video to the extent that you can charge them with a crime is just not worth it to them, not to mention paperwork (warrants) they would have to acquire to actually subpoena google or any other corporation for your personal information.  Its just not plausible and not worth the 1k-3k fine.

Im not saying its never happened before but the average user and poster will not be getting any flac for this and its all scare tactics.. Kind of like how they tell me if I download an illegal song or movie im going to jail for a long time. Unless you have some very telling personal information in plain sight on your channel I dont see it happening.

I have posted numerous videos to social media including the tagged location of the video and I have never had any problems from LE or NPS
2017-5-17
Use props
fans8f749536
lvl.1
Flight distance : 898451 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

Fun Fun Fun !!
2017-5-17
Use props
theskyexplorer
lvl.1
Belgium

Wait, what does the FAA have to do with me anyway? I'm not even on the same continent than them? Secondly, Instagram refuses to give information about terrorists on the sake of privacy rights, and you think they ll give my address? Which they don't know anyway? I don't know. I don't want to encourage anyone to do anything bad with their drones, but I dont think that we are hunted down like insects either!
2017-5-17
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Fractures Posted at 2017-5-17 09:17
I would disagree, the amount of resources time and effort it would take to track someone down from a youtube video to the extent that you can charge them with a crime is just not worth it to them, not to mention paperwork (warrants) they would have to acquire to actually subpoena google or any other corporation for your personal information.  Its just not plausible and not worth the 1k-3k fine.

Im not saying its never happened before but the average user and poster will not be getting any flac for this and its all scare tactics.. Kind of like how they tell me if I download an illegal song or movie im going to jail for a long time. Unless you have some very telling personal information in plain sight on your channel I dont see it happening.

It would be far too easy vs another type of crime.  There is no need for a subpoena when the evidence is already there.

You deal with this technology built into Google on a daily basis already.  Try to upload a copywrited song and see if Google detects it. They already give this kind of information freely to the RIAA.

Note a warrant is for arrest.  You would not need that either.  What you will get is a pretty massive citation with very little investigative work.  So far, it sounds like they are just warning people, but I am sure that time period expires.

And one last thought....  Who says Google is not freely giving this information already?  The gov is already piped into every major ISP's data-center can can hoover any traffic they want and I can guarantee Google is one of them.  If you don't believe that, google it.  This started back with the whistle blower in the early 2000's.
2017-5-17
Use props
Fractures
lvl.3
Flight distance : 635531 ft
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-5-17 17:05
It would be far too easy vs another type of crime.  There is no need for a subpoena when the evidence is already there.

You deal with this technology built into Google on a daily basis already.  Try to upload a copywrited song and see if Google detects it. They already give this kind of information freely to the RIAA.

You dont seem to know much about how the system works. Most of what your saying sounds like you've watched one too many movies/

My youtube channel does not have any private information about me.. at most a name, which could belong to anyone, there are probably 100s of people with the same name as me. In order for a government agency to request this information (address, proof of identity) from google, youtube, facebook. they would need a subpoena. If you think these companies are going to freely hand over personal information with no proof of wrong doing then you've listened to too many conspiracy theories. You also make a hint to Edward Snowden LOL..  Do you really think the CIA is sharing private illegally obtained information with the NPS to  catch people flying drones. (Let me guess, the USA did the 911 attacks too right? and the earth is flat? Weve never been to the moon?

Also in regard to a warrant being for arrest... have you ever heard of a "search warrant" a warrant is not just for arrest, police have to have a warrant and proof of a crime in order to collect private information from private company.

The only time this wouldnt apply is if they can prove who you are through the publicly available information on your social media. If its not in plain sight they would need a warrant to obtain this information.
2017-5-19
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Fractures Posted at 2017-5-19 05:32
You dont seem to know much about how the system works. Most of what your saying sounds like you've watched one too many movies/

My youtube channel does not have any private information about me.. at most a name, which could belong to anyone, there are probably 100s of people with the same name as me. In order for a government agency to request this information (address, proof of identity) from google, youtube, facebook. they would need a subpoena. If you think these companies are going to freely hand over personal information with no proof of wrong doing then you've listened to too many conspiracy theories. You also make a hint to Edward Snowden LOL..  Do you really think the CIA is sharing private illegally obtained information with the NPS to  catch people flying drones. (Let me guess, the USA did the 911 attacks too right? and the earth is flat? Weve never been to the moon?

No offense, but you seem to think this is a hard thing to do when in fact it is very easy.  An IP is all that is needed, and your ISP to tell the court who was using it at that time.  This is the hard method which is still easy.

When I talk about Google having access to all your information, if you installed any of their apps on your phone, you are already screwed.  They hoover (what?  No vacuum emoticon on this site?) all you information constantly, even just simple searching.  Did you log out of YouTube when you were done with it?  If not, you again are screwed.  Did you log out of Google when you were done with your email or whatever service you used?  Most people don't realize Google keeps you logged in so they can cross correlate your searches to a known person, as an example.  This is why people are using so much VPN these days, blockers, resorting to search engines such as duckduckgo, and using TOR.

Note:  I might happen work in the industry for the last 20 years so I might know a thing or two about it and I might happen to have built some of these things.  I will leave it at that as I am not going to argue about it.  

For your search warrant would never be issued in such a case unless it involved massive loss of property or criminal act.  Getting a fine of maybe $10K would not invoke such a thing.  If you are going to jail, that is another matter.  If you want more details, I am not the expert here, but I have people in law enforcement that can explain better if you have a specific question to ask, I can ask it.

All of this is besides the point though.  Why are you so defensive?  Have you posted something you shouldn't?  If you did, get rid of it.  Just my 2 cents.
2017-5-19
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules