Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
GPS Information in image metadata
3741 8 2017-5-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DroneAirSupport
lvl.2
Flight distance : 137992 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

I just red the release notes of the most recent DJI M600P update(s)
It stated the following;

- Added GPS information recording while taking stills with a third-party camera connected to a Ronin-MX and Matrice 600 PRO

Does this also works with the RTK GPS information when having the RTK module installed? And thereby adding more accurate GPS data to the images straight into the image metadata?

How does this work?

Thank you,

2017-5-3
Use props
TAfirehawk
lvl.1
Flight distance : 315938 ft
United States

Well it is NOT going to save the meta data in the pictures, impossible without getting into the camera.  But what I have read elsewhere says the flight log will now record the shutter trigger location.  In theory this makes it easier to geotag the pics in post-processing although I have been doing that just fine the past 10 months anyways.

Now if DJI made a software tool to extract the data and geotag all at once in post-processing....now that would be a big improvement, but this little blurb you quoted is worthless to the end user IMO.
2017-5-8
Use props
fansc9783840
lvl.2
Flight distance : 19049 ft
Mexico

Hi TAfirehawk, You say you have been geotagging the photos in the past 10 months, can you explain how you did it?

Thanks.
2017-5-8
Use props
TAfirehawk
lvl.1
United States

Geotag is a multi-step process with lots of pieces but in the end not difficult.  I spent weeks to figure this out last year for my M600 setup.

1. use a service like Airdata UAV to sync flight logs to be able to export CSV
2. convert CSV to GPX file like in GPS Visualizer
3. use a geotag program like GeoSetter to match GPX to pics
2017-5-8
Use props
TAfirehawk
lvl.1
United States

I don't have RTK yet but it shouldn't matter as the flight log should be the same just more accurate GPS numbers.

I don't know your purpose with geotagging but if you are trying to do photogrammetry, like in Pix4D, then GPS can be off literally 10's of feet and still work just fine so RTK isn't a big deal in photogrammetry's relative accuracy.
2017-5-8
Use props
fansc9783840
lvl.2
Mexico

Thank you very much TAfirehawk, yes the purpose is to do photogrammetry.
2017-5-8
Use props
fansc9783840
lvl.2
Mexico

You too geotagging your photos to do photogrammetry?
2017-5-8
Use props
BvdM
lvl.3
Flight distance : 233950 ft
Netherlands

TAfirehawk Posted at 2017-5-8 05:47
Well it is NOT going to save the meta data in the pictures, impossible without getting into the camera.  But what I have read elsewhere says the flight log will now record the shutter trigger location.  In theory this makes it easier to geotag the pics in post-processing although I have been doing that just fine the past 10 months anyways.

Now if DJI made a software tool to extract the data and geotag all at once in post-processing....now that would be a big improvement, but this little blurb you quoted is worthless to the end user IMO.

Would you be willing to share how you go about to extract the GPS/ flight log data from your M600/A3?

We are currently in the market for a M600P and retrieving such data, to allow manual geotagging of images during post-processing, is of critical importance to our (photogrammetry) projects. Unfortunately, much is still unclear on how this proces works (if it does at all) and experiences of users seem to differ A LOT!
2017-6-6
Use props
fattiretom
New

United States

TAfirehawk Posted at 2017-5-8 06:13
I don't have RTK yet but it shouldn't matter as the flight log should be the same just more accurate GPS numbers.

I don't know your purpose with geotagging but if you are trying to do photogrammetry, like in Pix4D, then GPS can be off literally 10's of feet and still work just fine so RTK isn't a big deal in photogrammetry's relative accuracy.

It does speed up processing and many of us do care about absolute accuracy. We use ground control but on some jobs where ground control is not easy to come by (we do some treetop mapping) RTK is useful.
2017-7-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules