Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Automatic start recording while takeoff
19218 62 2017-5-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BumblerBee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

I would welcome such an option too!
It was my second day of flying yesterday, but already forgot to start recording on half of the flights.
2017-7-21
Use props
KryptoNyte
lvl.4
United States

This is a good idea.
2017-7-23
Use props
LeafPeeper
lvl.4
Flight distance : 450075 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would like it too...and the option to take stills without stopping the recording, or something to automatically restart it after taking a still.   When we're concentrating on flying, adjusting the gimbal, etc...it's easy to forget to hit record.

LP
2017-7-23
Use props
Lucluck
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26385 ft
France

It is like that on my bebop and I miss it on my mavic. But asking something to Dji is useless...
2017-8-6
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

Lucluck Posted at 2017-8-6 05:34
It is like that on my bebop and I miss it on my mavic. But asking something to Dji is useless...

Well, we could all add to the reminder list -
"Don't forget to install  sd card in your drone before flying" notice
Oh, and- "Did you change your underwear today"? Just in case you get in an accident & have to go to hospital, thank my Mum for this one.
Another one- " Don't fly in heavy winds & then post you had a Flyway!"
Must be more I;ve forgotten
2017-8-6
Use props
alexmbraMav
lvl.4
Flight distance : 475220 ft
Portugal

Well, I would like  to have this option as well.  
Today, after flying around a park here on city that I live, I decide to go the beach with my and the drone. The Sun was almost going out, making a beautiful  and perfect sunset.  So, I rushed to position my wife on a good spot and prepare the drone, calibrating, etc...  The Sun light was almost gone of the place my wife was... So, I started to fly and doing some moves and when the light went out,  I thought what a great video a recorded...  Oh NOOOOO! I was not recording! I forgot to press the record button.
So, I vote to have an option to turn this on or off.
2017-8-15
Use props
calmari
lvl.3
Flight distance : 64944 ft
United Kingdom

Whilst I like the idea to have it as an option, I don't think it is something I would enable and use.

Having a whole load of customisable options and settings isn't great when DJI sets them back to default during every update. With no possibility of reloading from the app or SD card or whatever.
2017-8-15
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Cayman Islands

I never worked out why people want to record every single second of the flight.  Surely they don't sit back and watch the thing in entirety after the event?
2017-8-15
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

gnirtS Posted at 2017-8-15 15:18
I never worked out why people want to record every single second of the flight.  Surely they don't sit back and watch the thing in entirety after the event?

I never worked out why some people think all people have the same needs .
2017-8-15
Use props
DocAraxá
lvl.4
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

Ex Machina Posted at 2017-5-3 16:07
Wow, that's a problem I have never had. What I have had happen is I think I hit record or stop but didn't actually, so I've learned to check to see if the countdown timer is moving.

You should add a poll to this post to gauge interest in such a feature.

The same as I experience.
2017-8-16
Use props
eddieNoob
lvl.4
United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-5-5 20:54
I think you have misunderstood what I said. I was just saying that you would never hold a video camera without remembering to start recording so why would you do it with a Mavic. I certainly would not advocate video cameras having some sort of automatic recording.

The REASON why one might forget with a Mavic is that, as opposed to a 'simple' video camera, there are a LOT more things going on that might (read: will) grab one's attention. Few in this life are perfect. Even y'all....
2018-1-1
Use props
Jenee 2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

Dirty Bird Posted at 2018-1-1 15:23
For me never.  Because the last thing I do before taking off is hit the record button.  When I'm in the air I am always recording.  That being said aito-record would be a nice & easily implemented selectable option.  It's been a setting in Litchi for ages.

Unrelated but Dirty Bird, have you changed your Avatar?
2018-1-1
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13838848 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Auto record on take off is a feature on the litchi app. It would be nice to at least have the option in the GO 4 app to switch this feature on. Until then it should be part of your preflight checks.
2018-1-2
Use props
Gingertips
New
United Kingdom

my first flight today - assumed it would automatically record.  just 2 single jpg still pictures after an hour of flying.  none of my video would have been award winning, but its disappointing theres no option.  I would also like to see an option to record automatically
2018-4-14
Use props
M2Wair
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1192231 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

wow, is it really that difficult to tap a screen or press a button to start recording. I would't want it to start recording until I had framed the shot, positioned the aircraft and avoided unnecessary footage and storage.  Engage brain, press button/tap screen.   
2018-4-14
Use props
Gingertips
New
United Kingdom

or, just have an option in settings on the phone app to "auto record when take-off", so that you dont have to press the button.  particularly for newcomers to using the Mavic Pro - could almost be a default option as part of the "beginners mode"

The original poster put up a good suggestion
2018-4-14
Use props
hoderer
New
Germany

So, any news on this? It's been a while now. Someone here said something like "suggesting something to DJI is useless". wow, it's so sad to see, that DJI doesnt care about such suggestions. I mean they could write something about this here (for example why they wouldn't implemend it). I mean, it's THEIR forum on THEIR website and they just ignore this. I bought the litchi app ages ago, but - odd thing - I never used it, but I would totally love to have this auto record-option and I might switch to litchi. a little off-topic, but anyway: are there any disadvantages using the litchi app?
2019-4-27
Use props
zappy54
lvl.4
Flight distance : 446900 ft
United Kingdom

No the litchi App is a great app better than Go4 for way points and it also gives you the option for Auto record in the settings  (but make sure you read up on DJI warranty).....
2019-4-28
Use props
djiuser_uLGBEAaM8FB5
New

United States

Ok...Today, The second day flying my new Mavic Mini.  Yeah... a professional photographer but newbie drone pilot.

I have precisely ONE video from the whole day... a Dronie (It starts recording AUTOMATICALLY.. Hmmm)  It was so bright outside I could not see the screen well.

DJI...  PLEASE put this in as an option.  I've lost a whole day of shooting at a location with friends I cannot replace.  Make "Start recording on liftoff" a selectable option.  Make it so you can move to manual mode simply by hitting the record button, stopping the recording, and moving to manual (but not overriding the default for the next flight).   Then stop recording (also a selectable option) 10 seconds or so after the props stop (10 seconds to help diagnose an issue or crash.)  I would want to be able to keep recording after landing for instances like dropping into a landing site next to a party or object I wanted to hold in the frame on for an extended time after landing...   SIMPLE

It would also be nice if Dronie, Rocket, and Helix (using its outbound route) could record their return.. why not?  That is a compelling shot as well.

Bear in mind, sometimes there are things going on that preclude a systematic pre-flight.  You need/want to get it in the air and recording NOW.

PLEASE put this into your next release!!!!
2020-6-6
Use props
djiuser_ba0DkLOzoW80
lvl.1
Flight distance : 31227 ft
Canada

Yes, absolutely this would be a very welcome enhancement to the app.

Far too many times I have forgotten to start a recording! In fact, today was one of the most disappointing times. I thought I had 20 minutes of great video of a kite from my drone. Noooo! I forgot to press record! My wife was annoyed b/c she wasn’t having fun flying the kite. But she allowed me 5 more minutes to capture some video. LOL

A auto-record on take-off is a necessity for those who are incapable of learning from their mistakes.

2020-8-18
Use props
MantisManLLC
lvl.1

United States

Jenee 2 Posted at 2017-5-4 21:57
Maybe it is a male thing but I really can't understand how you can forget to start recording. If you were actually holding a video camera then you make a conscious decision to take some video and you would start recording. The next thing is you will forget to stop recording and shut down the mavic and RC before it has a chance to finish writing the video and then you have another problem. So then you will want DJI to somehow know when you want to stop recording and put that in the app and so it goes on. I would rather they concentrate on something worthwhile.

You must be joking. If data is not committed prior to hard shutdown, that is a bug. This is not an OS that you are just killing the PSU on. Flight logs and yes, recording video all need to be committed to disk before completing shutdown.  I have multiple systems and the other one I fly as often as my Mavic does have auto record. I started flying that one before the mavic, so I'm sort of trained not to have to worry about it and that has caused me to forget or realize later. As I get more and more 4k to store, I do appreciate self editing as I fly, but I still prefer to cut in post as there are many happy accidental shots I would never plan for.
2021-8-26
Use props
djiuser_vH5oLEQIgiUU
lvl.1

United States

mjacobson Posted at 2017-5-3 08:51
I usually don't record the entire flight.  I will get up in the air, set up my shot, hit record, hit stop, and find my next shot and do it again.  I guess it depends on what you're going for, but I don't see why it's hard to remember to record, I guess.

Drones that record at take-off let you stop the recording. I am coming from a Bebop 2 to the Mavic Mini. The Bebop starts recording at take-off and stops at landing, so I'm trained to *not* press the Record Button. I e lost a ton of great flights on the Mini because I forget to press Record. It's aggravating to switch back and forth between these drones because the Mini doesn't off er this option.
2021-10-13
Use props
djiuser_gGRbgLKDUFye
New
Flight distance : 15226 ft
South Africa

I really want that feature I had a situation in my area with a group of people pretending to sell fibre and gaining access to the house and then Robin them this is a common technique that they've been doing for awhile I got my drone up chased them down the street and on my phone I had clear images of all the individuals but in my haste I didn't press record
Is there no way to set it to record automatically

2023-2-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules