Delay time from cam to Display ?
1330 11 2017-5-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Peterx
First Officer
Flight distance : 1499708 ft
Germany

How long is the delay time from the cam via wifi to the display of the phone/tablet for normal? What factors are respondable for that time?
On my tab MPQC 96i the feeds need 10 -30 sec from the copter but the commands to the copter are uploaded in 1 sec only. Is the mass of data also a factor for that delay or not?
Thanks in advance.

2017-5-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

That seems like a long delay. Have you tried using a different mobile device?
2017-5-3
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

It's more a mobile device issue that varies with different brands and models of phones and tablets. Less than 2 gigabytes of ram in the device will give you a really noticeable delay before the screen updates. Video compression is less taxing on the gpu/cpu until the camera's POV changes.

Another cause for the long delay can be apps running in the background. This eats up available ram and if your cpu is using software video decoding it's like dragging your feet when you are walking.

I never got shorter than a 228 ms delay with my best android device until I started using a iphone 6s+.  The delay is noticeably less when using my iphone.

2017-5-3
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Germany

I´ll try an iphone 5/6 and ipad to see the difference for delay time. Can i reduce the resolution for feed display in the go app ? and where i can do that?
2017-5-5
Use props
Betamace
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2133 ft
United States

Peterx Posted at 2017-5-5 02:22
I´ll try an iphone 5/6 and ipad to see the difference for delay time. Can i reduce the resolution for feed display in the go app ? and where i can do that?

The video feed from the ac is already limited at 720p and the bit feed is fixed.

The delay you experience can be blamed solely on the mobile device not being capable of handling the amount of data being fed from the remote.
2017-5-5
Use props
solentlife
First Officer
Flight distance : 1087530 ft
Latvia

Just to add to the info above ..

People get confused as to the actual communications route. The display (Android or IOS) only talks to/from the Controller. So all data / video and commands are via that link.

You will have a slight delay of video back to Controller from camera on the WiFi ... but usually this usually is not a problem unless you fly extreme range. The real problem comes as Betamace said - the display unit being overtaxed in processing all data coming into it from controller. Reason you need to shut down all unnecessary apps and items.

Nigel
2017-5-5
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Germany

I will have a look in the settings of this tab,and try different ways. I think your tips can help.
2017-5-5
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Germany

Now i have a reduced delay about 1 to 5 seconds trough a hidden setup menu. It´s an automatic task terminator. The Go app reacts more faster than before. Thanks for the tips. That was the 1st trail.
2017-5-6
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Peterx Posted at 2017-5-6 10:43
Now i have a reduced delay about 1 to 5 seconds trough a hidden setup menu. It´s an automatic task terminator. The Go app reacts more faster than before. Thanks for the tips. That was the 1st trail.

Good to hear you were able to get some improvement.
2017-5-6
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Germany

Today i did a roof inspection of my house,the delay time was constant 1 sec with loaded map. After that i was going to test it twice and without map the delay time was shorter than 1 sec. If i want to make clips the delay is not so important. But if i want to take photos then it´s very important. S2 was in the bottom position. May be this is also a factor to boost up the transmission.
Tomorrow i´ll test it more. THX
2017-5-15
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
United States

Peterx Posted at 2017-5-15 11:21
Today i did a roof inspection of my house,the delay time was constant 1 sec with loaded map. After that i was going to test it twice and without map the delay time was shorter than 1 sec. If i want to make clips the delay is not so important. But if i want to take photos then it´s very important. S2 was in the bottom position. May be this is also a factor to boost up the transmission.
Tomorrow i´ll test it more. THX

Please keep us posted.
2017-5-15
Use props
Peterx
First Officer
Germany

Today i did it again and got the same result as yesterday. May be i must cache the map in the internal SD card and not in RAM. I think the map inside RAM is not really small and eats much of it.
2017-5-16
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules