Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Craignos
lvl.3
Flight distance : 5574954 ft
  • >>>
Canada

Hi all,
I recorded a UHD video at 30fps at Dusk: picture 1/3 blue-pink sky, 2/3 trees-house. The lower 2/3 with the tress-house is darker than the sky obviously and really reveals the flickering caused by the video encoding GOP, where the image flickers every 8 frames.
Searching on YouTube it seems the issue is well known, and the solution is buying a denoiser or anti-flickering plugin for about $150.

I'm turning to you, DJI, to find out if there's a way to not have this issue?

The video settings were:
3840x2160 30p in Cinelike, AWB, sharp+1, Cont-1, Sat-1, shutter at around 1/120th, ISO100, no filter on lens.
Latest firmware installed.

Thanks!

2017-5-3
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Post a video/pictures so we may be able to help!
2017-5-3
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Could you please upload some original videos to dropbox or google drive?
We will help to check it.
2017-5-3
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Flight distance : 70043 ft
Netherlands

Hi,

Indeed this is well known and related to the choice of DJI to use H.264, allot of people are complaining about the quality of video.
Besides this problem, the Mavic is not capable to perform a decent Noise reduction, it creates blurred parts in the image.

Solution:
-Improve noise reduction within the Mavic
-selectable sharpness AND selectable noise reduction
OR
DJI should at least make an effort to supply a decent tool to take away the noise that comes with the intra frame and to minimise noise from the sensor.

By the way, if you would buy neatvideo open FX this is much more expensive than 150 dollar(to be used with Davinci resolve for example).
2017-5-3
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Netherlands

double post
2017-5-3
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Netherlands

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-5-3 19:34

Hi Mindy,,

It's not about a defect, it about a choise DJI did make with the design.
And allot of your consumers are not happy with the Noise reduction that the Mavic capable is of.
DJI can improve if they are serious about listening to complaints and trying to understand.
Please read my other post to understand what this is about.

Or google: Mavic flickering

You'll be able to find allot of complaint of DJI customers on youtube, not a very good advertising I guess.
2017-5-3
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Netherlands

Posted reply to your topic above
2017-5-3
Use props
jpap
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1780679 ft
Greece

I am having the same issues. I hope DJI could either fix this or somebody could provide an alternative workaround that does not cost 150USD!!!!
2017-5-4
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Netherlands

jpap Posted at 2017-5-4 00:24
I am having the same issues. I hope DJI could either fix this or somebody could provide an alternative workaround that does not cost 150USD!!!!

Hello jpap,

DJI should take this information with open arms, it is not a problem to be stuck with it is a opportunity to do something essential that allot of people will appreciate.
We need DJI to step up and show some appreciation to their customers.
And also might repair their own imago.
2017-5-4
Use props
jpap
lvl.4
Greece

I am not pessimistic, but the fact that this problem exists in the selected codec, which is also used by other drones (like Phantom series) does not allow enough room for me to believe that this could be solved by DJI any time soon.
However, it would be a great move for them to show their appreciation and that they listen to their customers if they decide to help us   
2017-5-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Anoniem Posted at 2017-5-3 23:17
Hi Mindy,,

It's not about a defect, it about a choise DJI did make with the design.

I have forwarded this to our engineers for review.
Thank you for your feedback.
2017-5-4
Use props
Anoniem
lvl.4
Netherlands

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-5-4 22:46

Hi Mindy, thank you for your feedback I appreciate your gesture.
2017-5-4
Use props
Irmantast
lvl.2
Norway

I am using neat video with adobe premiere pro, all issues witch flickering is now a history.. p.s. neat video is much better than denoiser III.
2017-5-5
Use props
ReinisK
lvl.1
Flight distance : 21946 ft
Latvia

Hey, Irmantast! Would you mind sharing your neat video settings? I've also tried Neat video for this, but cannot get it right, flickering is still there.
2017-5-8
Use props
DJI_camera
lvl.2

Hong Kong

thanks for your feedback and we are now testing and optimizing this issue, pls pay attention to our update.
2017-5-8
Use props
jpap
lvl.4
Greece

Could somebody from DJI provide a status update to this issue?
Many Thanks in advance
2017-5-17
Use props
Reznor99
lvl.2
Flight distance : 98855 ft
United States

jpap Posted at 2017-5-17 03:22
Could somebody from DJI provide a status update to this issue?
Many Thanks in advance

Right! The pulsing in my videos with the sharpness turned up is driving me nuts.  With the sharpness turned down the muddy video is just as distracting.
2017-5-17
Use props
Craignos
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

I concur with Anoniem, I appreciate DJI following up with this. Which is really the only grain of sand in the machine as for the rest, it is such a great UAV!
And I'm sorry I haven't posted a sample video yet, but I will this evening!
I am not sure how this can be solved really without changing the type of video encoding...
2017-5-29
Use props
jpap
lvl.4
Greece

Hi Mindy,

any feedback from the engineering department?
Here is another video with flickering. Not sure if this is a different issue or related to the one discussed here.
2017-5-29
Use props
Craignos
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-5-3 19:34

Mindy, the sample video can be found here:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/krclnd ... le%20video.mov?dl=0

Look at the bottom darker area of the video, and open it in Premiere or FCP with the vectorscope, you'll notice the obvious jump every 8 frames!
Thanks
2017-5-30
Use props
Craignos
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

Here's a good explainantion of what's happening with the flickering, and what this guy does to remove it.

But it would be nice if DJI could fix it with a firmware update! (not sure how though since it seems to be a H264 issue...)
2017-6-7
Use props
nomnomnom
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8343 ft
  • >>>
Canada

How do you remove it? It's still a problem and even paying for neat video is not enough, there's no easy way to create a good profile. Some guy did it but he wants to sell it. Craignos did you figure it out?
2017-7-25
Use props
fansb8b222f3
lvl.4
Flight distance : 74213 ft
Sweden

Any update on this ?
Its not cool to adv 4k support and then to find out it not up to expected standard.
2017-7-27
Use props
Craignos
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

nomnomnom Posted at 2017-7-25 10:37
How do you remove it? It's still a problem and even paying for neat video is not enough, there's no easy way to create a good profile. Some guy did it but he wants to sell it. Craignos did you figure it out?

neat video will remove the flickering, and that's it. And I haven't purchased that plugin by the way, so I don't have a fix really to that issue. I hope that with h265 (coming up in Mac OS High Sierra) we could see an improvement, not sure if the Mavic will be upgraded to support that codec either?
2017-8-10
Use props
kubais_ex_mach
lvl.1
Flight distance : 240801 ft
Czechia

I just spent 3 days editing dozens of Mavic videos I took in a span of whole year and I have to say that video quality is total rubbish. Noisy, pulsating light every 8th frame, insufficient bitrate. When I compare it to my $100 action cam (Firefly 8s- same sensor size like Mavic) with special script that almost doubles the bitrate - 1080/60 at 80Mbps, 2k/60 at 90 and 4k/30 at 110Mbps, Mavic´s video quality is just sight for sore eyes in comparison.

I am aware you can use denoise and  to clean out the pulsation somehow in post, but that is so much of a job that I am simply not willing to do that, especially with so many videos. I just wish DJI at least managed by simple firmware upgrade to up bitrates and made the real 1080/60.
2018-1-20
Use props
djiuser_GmIKOrD
lvl.1
Flight distance : 118 ft
Sweden

Any news here? I just unpacked the Mavic Pro, tried it for the first time and 4k@24fps +1, -1, -1 looks crap... I'm thinking about returning it right away.
2018-1-23
Use props
Craignos
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

djiuser_GmIKOrD Posted at 2018-1-23 08:57
Any news here? I just unpacked the Mavic Pro, tried it for the first time and 4k@24fps +1, -1, -1 looks crap... I'm thinking about returning it right away.

Maybe the Mavic Air allows to shoot in H265, with better results?
Sorry to see you're that disappointed. It is mainly an issue in low light on the Mavic Pro.
2018-1-23
Use props
djiuser_GmIKOrD
lvl.1
Sweden

Craignos Posted at 2018-1-23 09:07
Maybe the Mavic Air allows to shoot in H265, with better results?
Sorry to see you're that disappointed. It is mainly an issue in low light on the Mavic Pro.

Maybe but check this one out. Not a low light situation. It looks like there is noise following the whole scene.

You know any better settings?
2018-1-23
Use props
Craignos
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

djiuser_GmIKOrD Posted at 2018-1-23 10:44
Maybe but check this one out. Not a low light situation. It looks like there is noise following the whole scene.

https://youtu.be/J9XE_jYkjRE

Looks fine to me! I actually don't see the flickering, but just the H264 compression on your quick pans.
2018-1-23
Use props
aftersun
lvl.1
Sweden

I think it looks like there is a noise following the entire video and it's more visible when panning.
2018-1-23
Use props
aftersun
lvl.1
Sweden

Have you found out which settings that creates least amount of flickering and noise?
2018-1-23
Use props
Craignos
lvl.3
  • >>>
Canada

aftersun Posted at 2018-1-23 13:43
Have you found out which settings that creates least amount of flickering and noise?

I usually don't touch the picture settings: contrast, sharpness or saturation.
2018-1-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules