Combatting glare w/ ArmorGlas + Hoodman + iPad 4 mini
2334 16 2017-5-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ml71
lvl.3
United States

I'm thinking about using an iPad mini 4 with my Mavic and am wondering about how the ArmorGlas Anti Glare (linked below) would affect screen brightness.  I'm sure it would cut down on glare, but would it also leave me with a dull, hard to see screen? Would I be better off with a Hoodman and no ArmorGlas?  Thinking being the screen would be brighter.
Your thoughts, experiences and feedback is appreciated.

ArmorGlas Anti Glare

2017-5-3
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Iphones are brighter then the MINI4. I use Iphone6S+ and I thought I'll get a MINI4 because some fox said it is brigther but it is the complete opposit. Save your money wait for the CrystalSky for MAVIC, it will be worth it.
2017-5-3
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

No anti-glare screen protector can do anywhere near as much as a product like the HoodMan to make your screen easier to see: viewing it through a hood -- at least when you use the extension -- is more like looking at it in a dark room. The only downside to a hood is that it does add a bit of bulk to your remote / mobile device combination, partly because you'll also need to get some type of mount in order to use the hood.

I have an iPad Mini 4 and use a combination of the MavMount and the Hi-Aerial hood with extension. Both are good products with the Hi-Aerial product being similar to the HoodMan, which I've also heard is good but don't own myself.

I also have an "anti-glare" screen protector, but I only have it to prevent scratches because it's pretty useless in terms of making the screen easier to view in sunlight. So if you want to be able to see your Mini 4 screen outdoors on sunny days then yes, you should definitely consider getting a hood instead of or in addition to the anti-glare screen protector.
2017-5-3
Use props
ml71
lvl.3
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-5-3 15:33
Iphones are brighter then the MINI4. I use Iphone6S+ and I thought I'll get a MINI4 because some fox said it is brigther but it is the complete opposit. Save your money wait for the CrystalSky for MAVIC, it will be worth it.

What do you mean "CrystalSky for Mavic"?  Aren't the current CrystalSky displays compatible with the Mavic?
2017-5-3
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ml71 Posted at 2017-5-3 20:51
What do you mean "CrystalSky for Mavic"?  Aren't the current CrystalSky displays compatible with the Mavic?

On the CrystalSky page, they have the picture of the MAVIC but they don't specifically say that is compatible with the MAVIC and that is why I said, CrystalSky for Mavic.

"The CrystalSky monitor can quickly connect to the Inspire series, Phantom 4 series, Phantom 3 series (Phantom 3 Professional, Phantom 3 Advanced), Matrice series, and Osmo series (except the Osmo Mobile) over Wi-Fi or via a remote controller USB port, depending on your specific product.* Also, CrystalSky easily attaches to the Cendence remote controller without an additional mounting bracket.

2017-5-3
Use props
ml71
lvl.3
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-5-3 20:59
On the CrystalSky page, they have the picture of the MAVIC but they don't specifically say that is compatible with the MAVIC and that is why I said, CrystalSky for Mavic.

"The CrystalSky monitor can quickly connect to the Inspire series, Phantom 4 series, Phantom 3 series (Phantom 3 Professional, Phantom 3 Advanced), Matrice series, and Osmo series (except the Osmo Mobile) over Wi-Fi or via a remote controller USB port, depending on your specific product.* Also, CrystalSky easily attaches to the Cendence remote controller without an additional mounting bracket.

I'm not sure if this link will work, but a DJI admin confirmed it will work with Mavic. Additionally, I did a chat with DJI a few minutes ago and was told the same.

CrystalSky & Mavic
2017-5-3
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

ml71 Posted at 2017-5-3 21:07
I'm not sure if this link will work, but a DJI admin confirmed it will work with Mavic. Additionally, I did a chat with DJI a few minutes ago and was told the same.

CrystalSky & Mavic

Excellent, thx...

I guess no more guessing games... I already have the 7" extra bright on back order!
2017-5-4
Use props
Griffith
lvl.4
Flight distance : 98537 ft
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-5-4 06:02
Excellent, thx...

I guess no more guessing games... I already have the 7" extra bright on back order!

I already have the 7" extra bright on back order!

Were you really able to place an order?  All I was able to do is request an email notice when it became in-stock.
2017-5-4
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Griffith Posted at 2017-5-4 06:46
I already have the 7" extra bright on back order!

Were you really able to place an order?  All I was able to do is request an email notice when it became in-stock.

I placed it with B&H PHOTO:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh ... mp;A=details&Q=
2017-5-4
Use props
michelvien
lvl.1

Canada

Through Amazon in Canada, I ordered the ArmorGlass and for 9.95 Canadian I got,2 glass protectors. I also ordered a Sun Shade for iPad up to 10 inches wide and though the description said it uses velcro it is better by using magnetic sides and I can use my iPad or the Galaxy ( if my wife allows me) or any cellphones. Later on, I will have the perfect solution for anti glare.
2017-5-30
Use props
Parkker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8891 ft
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-5-3 15:33

I would just use a hood shield of some sort other than a screen laminate. Screen laminates can be annoying and sometimes make touch screen less responsive. Can also catch edge of laminate when sliding in and out of Mavics controller gripper arms.
I already find the Ipad Mini 4 takes getting used to and bugs me. On many of the function menus when they have that little slide deal to turn something off or on I have to swipe at it multiple times before I hit the sweet spot just right.
2017-5-30
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
Romania

Parkker Posted at 2017-5-30 19:54
I would just use a hood shield of some sort other than a screen laminate. Screen laminates can be annoying and sometimes make touch screen less responsive. Can also catch edge of laminate when sliding in and out of Mavics controller gripper arms.
I already find the Ipad Mini 4 takes getting used to and bugs me. On many of the function menus when they have that little slide deal to turn something off or on I have to swipe at it multiple times before I hit the sweet spot just right.

You are right, but I don't like hood shield. Half the fun is flying the MAVIC without anything hindering the controller, but hey some people like bulky stuff and some don't.
2017-5-30
Use props
Parkker
lvl.2
Flight distance : 8891 ft
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-5-30 20:10
You are right, but I don't like hood shield. Half the fun is flying the MAVIC without anything hindering the controller, but hey some people like bulky stuff and some don't.

So far I haven't used any type of glare shield/hood with Ipad mini 4 but I will likely have to as a matter of functionality sooner than not. Will likely fabricate something myself that is pretty minimalist.
Many times I can pilot Mavic while sitting in vehicle so plan on coming up with a mount to hold ipad separately from controller to eliminate bulk in my hands and allow for more positioning flexibility with ipad. Will also use a tripod standing outside that can hold Ipad connected to controller with longer cable as I saw a guy doing this on FliteTest YT channel and want it as an option in certain situations as well. Would be easier to use gl;are hood with it this way as I see it.
2017-5-30
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
Sweden

Parkker Posted at 2017-5-30 20:26
So far I haven't used any type of glare shield/hood with Ipad mini 4 but I will likely have to as a matter of functionality sooner than not. Will likely fabricate something myself that is pretty minimalist.
Many times I can pilot Mavic while sitting in vehicle so plan on coming up with a mount to hold ipad separately from controller to eliminate bulk in my hands and allow for more positioning flexibility with ipad. Will also use a tripod standing outside that can hold Ipad connected to controller with longer cable as I saw a guy doing this on FliteTest YT channel and want it as an option in certain situations as well. Would be easier to use gl;are hood with it this way as I see it.

If that is the purpose than yes I am with on that. Take some pictures of the setup and post it.
2017-5-31
Use props
michelvien
lvl.1

Canada

Imsearched lo and feo and as many reviewers are stating the Armor Tech is PERFECT. here is the link... https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product ... 0?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2017-6-1
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

The Galaxy S7 had the best brightness compared to all other phones (also iphones yes) +800nits.  Now that the S8 is out, it even produces +1000nits in sunlight. The same or even little but more then the basic versions of Crystal Sky.

2017-6-1
Use props
audioguy
lvl.1
United States

I tried my maiden flight to day and now remember why I spent a $1000 ++++ for a Drone.  BUT, I am trying to use an iPhone 6S and outside,  it is completely worthless.  I could not see anything on the screen - NOTING.  So I could only fly far enough/high enough to keep visual contact.

This phone is about 800 nits so the basic version of the Crystal Sky will be no better.  And the thought of spending another $1000 on a display to fly my $1000 drone is quite bothersome.  So I guess some kind of shield will be required.  Bummed.
2017-6-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules