Mavic disconnected & dropped out of the sky...DJI Repair Pain
4931 19 2017-5-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Lepisto
New
Flight distance : 15548 ft
United States

I've read similar postings from other Mavic users who experienced an issue with it disconnecting and falling out of the sky, and unfortunately I'm in a similar boat. I had my Mavic for all of 36 hours before it's fateful crash. Given the fact that I'm still relatively new to drones perhaps I made a mistake...but I don't think that's the case.

The weather was 86 sunny with minimal wind (6-7mph at most). I was flying in a residential area (taking some areal shots of our community amenities). I had excellent GPS signals, and my battery life was ~70% when things went wrong. The drone was less than 200ft from me ~50ft in the air with clear line of site and no obstructions and, when I received the disconnection notice on the controller. I glanced down and the next thing I know, the Mavic simply fell from the sky and crashed in the middle of the street.

I've uploaded the flight record here: http://app.airdata.com/main?share=AsNBHf. If any of you more experienced folks would be willing to take a look at it to see if I'm missing something, it would be appreciated. Like i said, all of the data that I've seen seems to show that it wasn't user error.

The gimbal sustained a pretty significant blow and disconnected, so I decided I'd send it in for repair. I dropped it off with UPS on 4/22, and it didn't arrive in CA until 5/1. Sadly, my support case still doesn't show that it's been "received in" even though it's been there for 4 days. I've tried contacting DJI support via the online chat and sat through the queue of 25+ people 3 separate times. Each time when I connected to agent and provided them with my info, they stated "one moment while I check" and never returned. Needless to say, it is extremely frustrating that this process is taking so long and noone at DJI seems to be willing to help. Maybe someone will read this and be willing to help.
2017-5-4
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Hey man... Sorry for your loss! Also posting to Phantomhelps.com will give more details then air data.

2017-5-4
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Sorry to hear about the issue with your aircraft.
Could you please provide me with your case number so I can look into it?
I'll help to escalate the case for you.
2017-5-4
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

The main thing I can see from your Airdata log is that you did not wait until you had good GPS coverage. Although it set the home point, at the time you only had about 7 satellites and that was probably not enough to get a good RTH when you lost signal. Also, based on your height, it certainly looks like the signal would have been blocked by trees and houses.
2017-5-4
Use props
Jason Lane
lvl.4
Flight distance : 260144 ft
Philippines

Sorry to hear about your crash. Did you happen to download the .dat files from your Mavic before sending it back to DJI? The .dat file would provide the greatest amount of data of the flight. Second to that, uploading the .txt file to Phantomhelp.com as @Dronist suggested would provide a little more data. Based on what you've provided so far, it does sound like another case of inflight power loss, unfortunately.

I've added your preliminary data to my table here: https://airtable.com/shrlFvMeiBLTE7coL

If you can provide any further data to fill in some blanks, that might help further narrow down the cause of the issue.
2017-5-4
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

I have the same issue, my Mavic disconnected for no reason and DJI are doing nothing to help me about it, and just offer a 30% discount on a new purchase.... How can I trust their products when they can't offer an explanation !!! : http://forum.dji.com/thread-95100-1-1.html
2017-5-4
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001020 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

To be honest: there are hunderds of threads where nobody can "proof" the real cause of the "drop out of the sky". So also no 100% proof that DJI is causing the chrash.
@"Bradders" - I understand you pain but for me it is not clear what happend and your case. Also no proof that you or DJI is responseble and you would like to have a new Mavic. And may be you Mavic just land because of no connection. (no RTH configured by RC lost or too close to the home point it will land of fail-safe).

I don't want to be the bad guy ;-) but I also see 10 threats a day with the title "Crashed because of firmware update" and not in all cases it is because of that.
2017-5-4
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

SHamers Posted at 2017-5-4 23:49
To be honest: there are hunderds of threads where nobody can "proof" the real cause of the "drop out of the sky". So also no 100% proof that DJI is causing the chrash.
@"Bradders" - I understand you pain but for me it is not clear what happend and your case. Also no proof that you or DJI is responseble and you would like to have a new Mavic. And may be you Mavic just land because of no connection. (no RTH configured by RC lost or too close to the home point it will land of fail-safe).

I understand, but if there is no proof that I am responsible, then the only other party who can be responsible is DJI.... plain and simple a £1100 piece of equipment should not randomly disconnect from the controller with 13 - 18 GPS satellites connected though the flight and correctly configured settings and RTH mode,

Of course the mavic will not show the last location on the flight log because it disconnected whilst moving and then started to descend   
2017-5-5
Use props
fans2783c9e0
lvl.1
Flight distance : 12405 ft
Malta

Send an email addressed to Kevin on support.nl@dji.com he was very very helpful. After my firmware update of the latest 600, my Mavic Pro went all crazy and had a mind of it's own. After takeoff, it decided to fly off at a stage that I could not see it anymore. In a panic, I pressed the RTH button. But, jsut stopped at hovering position with 38% battery still remaining. tried helping it by taking control of the sticks. Still nothing. All of a sudden, it started to decend. I tried the up controller once again. It litterly kept hovering in one place till the battery ran out. It now sits at the bottom of the sea. I immediatly contacted DJI and sent them all logs and information they asked for. This is where Kevin came in to help. Thanks to him, I got a brand new Mavic Pro. Had no DJI Care. But as it was the fault of the new firmware, they came up with a warranty replacement. It was not a warranty replacement. It was a firmware fault. They don't seem to want to admint their fault. anyways, I hope you get yours asap.
2017-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

That's tough man, there have been a few around here with similar problems, while nobody seems to know for certain what's happening, and dji are slow to say anything is wrong, one thing keeps popping up which shouldn't be happening. When you loose radio signal your AC should return to home point. If it was gps that's a different matter, but you look like you had gps.
Another thing I have noticed with the spate of crashes, in most of the data notifications there is always warning of unpaved airport, not to sure if it is a problem it shouldn't, but I've seen it in a lot of these cases.
If you do as others have asked get logs from PH, they might give a better insight. But I think it time for dji to explain what's happening or at least explain it away.
Good luck..
2017-5-5
Use props
SHamers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1001020 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

Bradders Posted at 2017-5-5 00:02
I understand, but if there is no proof that I am responsible, then the only other party who can be responsible is DJI.... plain and simple a £1100 piece of equipment should not randomly disconnect from the controller with 13 - 18 GPS satellites connected though the flight and correctly configured settings and RTH mode,

Of course the mavic will not show the last location on the flight log because it disconnected whilst moving and then started to descend

"understand, but if there is no proof that I am responsible, then the only other party who can be responsible is DJI.... plain and simple"

Sorry - no proof that you are response doesn't meen that you are not. Same for DJI of course!
And I agree that it happens a lot RC disconnects - and DJI should solve the issues.
In your case Bradders it is still an option that the Mavic was within the range of LAND DIRECT in case of RTH proces because of the short distance.
2017-5-5
Use props
Mojito
lvl.2
United States

It seem like to me for a drone to just drop from the sky would have something to do with lost of power like  the battery are batteries an issue with dji.
2017-5-10
Use props
fansd72d9980
lvl.1
Flight distance : 163976 ft
United States

The same thing just happened to me. Flying along filming the new trolley in STL and my mavic dropped out of the sky. I was 10 feet above a tree which broke it's fall. Luckily there were no people around. http://app.airdata.com/main?share=NSrAWD

Hopefully DJI will fix it for me. I just looked at my flight logs and I have over 7.5 hours of flight time with DJI equipment without any issues until today.
2017-5-11
Use props
Raptured Lens
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34085 ft
Australia

well our mavic fell into the ocean with 40% battery left  un able to retrieve the drone nothing came good out of it... really not happy  with DJI they only offered us 30% discount that only last for a month that we have to use on their website to purchase a new drone which we have to pay for.. as they couldn't prove how this happened... really not a happy customer never buying one again
2017-9-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Raptured Lens Posted at 2017-9-21 02:58
well our mavic fell into the ocean with 40% battery left  un able to retrieve the drone nothing came good out of it... really not happy  with DJI they only offered us 30% discount that only last for a month that we have to use on their website to purchase a new drone which we have to pay for.. as they couldn't prove how this happened... really not a happy customer never buying one again

We are sorry to hear that, since the drone cannot be retrieved and we cannot obtain flight log to find out the reason, and if the flight records got cut off, it is hard to analyze what happened afterwards.
For this situation, we usually provide 30% off discount, sorry for the trouble caused.
2017-9-21
Use props
Raptured Lens
lvl.1
Flight distance : 34085 ft
Australia

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-9-21 03:03
We are sorry to hear that, since the drone cannot be retrieved and we cannot obtain flight log to find out the reason, and if the flight records got cut off, it is hard to analyze what happened afterwards.
For this situation, we usually provide 30% off discount, sorry for the trouble caused.

we gave them everything from the controller and can't pay 1600 dollars on a new drone which is rediculus and only comes down to 1200 AUD.. Who's responsible why did it fall out of the sky  being only 3 weeks old and only give 1 month to use that discount only to be used on DJI WEBSITE its stupid... whats the point of warrenty on the drone... SO WHATS THE POINT
2017-9-21
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

Raptured Lens Posted at 2017-9-21 03:05
we gave them everything from the controller and can't pay 1600 dollars on a new drone which is rediculus and only comes down to 1200 AUD.. Who's responsible why did it fall out of the sky  being only 3 weeks old and only give 1 month to use that discount only to be used on DJI WEBSITE its stupid... whats the point of warrenty on the drone... SO WHATS THE POINT

We understand your frustration, we would love to know what caused the accident, but the flight records was disconnected and we can't, we only warranty the malfunction issue, while the flight records cannot prove there was malfunction.
As for the discount duration, all coupons are only available within one month, sorry for the inconvenience and appreciate your understanding.
2017-9-22
Use props
noeladelarosa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 317434 ft

poor service. poor reasoning.
2019-9-24
Use props
noeladelarosa
lvl.1
Flight distance : 317434 ft

worried I am of the same fate. Here's my current experience
https://forum.dji.com/thread-198744-1-1.html
2019-9-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
  • >>>

noeladelarosa@gmail.com Posted at 9-24 11:00

worried I am of the same fate. Here's my current experience

We are sorry for your loss, Diana has replied to your own thread, please keep us updated there, we will keep following up, thank you.
2019-9-24
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules