IMU Error and Flasing Red Light and Beep
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Dan Hargrave
lvl.1
United States

I had a crash which took out a cable and the gimbal mounting bracket.  I fixed them and the P3A flew fine for about 2 hours total.  Then I tried to take it up once more and got an IMU error.  Now, when I turn on the drone, the gimbal light flashes fast green for a few seconds and then flashes slower red while the gimbal emits a quiet raspy "beep, beep, (pause), beep, beep, (pause)...  When I turn on the controller the Aircraft Status screen says IMU Abnormal and Latest Firmware Abnormal.   When I try to recalibrate the IMU it gets stuck on 2% (for like 20 minutes or more).  I've tried putting the drone in the refrigerator before recalibrating and it doesn't help.  How to proceed?

2017-5-5
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

You may have a stuck IMU.  There are posts on here with a fix,but basically it involves giveing the Phantom a sharp whack opposite the side that it crashed on.  The search function on here is not great, but you mayt be able to locate it by doing a search on IMU.  Good luck.
2017-5-5
Use props
Dan Hargrave
lvl.1
United States

Kneepuck Posted at 2017-5-5 06:45
You may have a stuck IMU.  There are posts on here with a fix,but basically it involves giveing the Phantom a sharp whack opposite the side that it crashed on.  The search function on here is not great, but you mayt be able to locate it by doing a search on IMU.  Good luck.

Thank you immensely for your input.  I failed to mention that I have noticed said posts and I did whack the drone from various angles (without taking it apart) and that didn't have any effect on the problem.  I could try opening up the drone and unmounting the IMU and tapping on it directly.  I'll try that.  Any other ideas?  Could cabling issues cause any of these symptoms?
2017-5-5
Use props
Kneepuck
lvl.4
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

Dan Hargrave Posted at 2017-5-5 07:02
Thank you immensely for your input.  I failed to mention that I have noticed said posts and I did whack the drone from various angles (without taking it apart) and that didn't have any effect on the problem.  I could try opening up the drone and unmounting the IMU and tapping on it directly.  I'll try that.  Any other ideas?  Could cabling issues cause any of these symptoms?

Cabling could certainly be causing the issues.  You could also verify that your camera gimbal shafts are correctly aligned.  I had a crash where the gimbal arm set screw slipped.  Camera was going crazy trying to center.  2 hours troubleshooting and a 2 minute fix, lol
2017-5-5
Use props
Dan Hargrave
lvl.1
United States

I opened up the IMU and did exactly what it says in this video Nothing changed.  BTW when I do an IMU re-calibration it doesn't exactly "hang".  It actually gives up, because I can see that the Calibrate button goes from greyed-out to active after it has been at 2% for a few seconds.  So if I want to restart the process I can, with the same results.

Any other things to try before I buy a new IMU?  What else could it be?  Thanks!
2017-5-5
Use props
Dan Hargrave
lvl.1
United States

"youtu.be/Hm_ahTpOSD0"  video didn't come thru
2017-5-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules