123Next >
3222 91 2017-5-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

I would like to get an idea of what users think and at the same time have DJI take notice of what USERS/Owners Clearly Want and Expect from them (DJI)
Single SelectVote, Total 112 people participate in voting View Poll participants

Voting has ended

7.14% (8)
9.82% (11)
50.89% (57)
16.96% (19)
15.18% (17)
Your user group with no voting privileges
2017-5-5
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

I voted the GO4 app without question
I also voted the Mavic controller , its construction , design and components are different then any
other DJI model on the market --- Then again I don't know of any controllers on the market that are high end
RC system's that are constructed like the Mavic
The Mavic controller uses a magnet sensor for stick input commands
In my opinion this is the worst type of sensor to use for the application , They are used but avoided in the Aerospace Industry
to be used in the application that the Mavic controller is using them (Flight Control) -- The reasoning behind it is that they are too susceptible to interference.
My question to DJI is can the Mavic system decipher the difference between Remote controller and the Mavic AC when encountering EMI interference  ?
Also what would happen if the system experienced Both controller and AC EMI an RF Interference ?<------ can this be a possibility for the some of the Disconnects, Loss of signal and
pilots unable to control the Mavic with stick inputs and watching there $1000.00 Mavic flying off with a mind of it's own ?
I wonder and don't expect DJI to answer my questions --- The only thing I can do to help is to educate others of the Do's and Don't of there
Mavic System   
                           I'm done for now.

FlySafe-FlyFree
2017-5-5
Use props
CAAirborne
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1174232 ft
United States

The latest release of DJI GO 4 on Android is unstable (crashes frequently).  My wish is for a stable DJI GO 4 app, with less focus on new features.
2017-5-5
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I'd like to vote for "firmware" but I guess the closest thing to that would be the first ("Mavic AC") option.
2017-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

I voted for RC because it has some peculiarities, I do think it's harbouring some bugs..
2017-5-5
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-5 07:58
I voted for RC because it has some peculiarities, I do think it's harbouring some bugs..

Hall , I just edited my original post pointing out one of the problems with the Mavic RC
2017-5-5
Use props
kaeyalin
lvl.2
Flight distance : 153665 ft
United States

Given the options, I voted for the Go 4 app, without question.

But, what I would really like for DJI to improve are

1) Quality control over new features

2) Customer Service
2017-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

I have tested Mavic RC flying over power lines 20 feet above them , I get strong magnetic interference warning, I can fly over same power lines same height at the same time with my P4 pro, no interference warning, so something wrong there, so SkunkWerks may have opened a can of worms here.
2017-5-5
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-5 08:41
I have tested Mavic RC flying over power lines 20 feet above them , I get strong magnetic interference warning, I can fly over same power lines same height at the same time with my P4 pro, no interference warning, so something wrong there, so SkunkWerks may have opened a can of worms here.

Ooop's didn't mean to maliciously but I feel there my be a connection with what's going on   
2017-5-5
Use props
IVAN01
lvl.2
Flight distance : 559938 ft
Russia

RC for sure! It is so questionable to make telephone so close to the transmitter. Fly with aeroplane mode on they say. Bah how can I use video translation feature then? How can I upload map during light? But I get so strong interfeerence when the phone transmitter on!!!
And this ridiculous clamps to hold the phone... I gave up. It is uncomfortable to hold it empty and uncomfortable to hold it with a big phone. The only way is to put a phone with a small screen you cant properly see anything on.
2017-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-5-5 09:04
Ooop's didn't mean to maliciously but I feel there my be a connection with what's going on

RC has been an issue since the first Mavics took to the air. And I think there are still some problems with it.
2017-5-5
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-5 08:41

Hall , I can understand getting magnetic interference flying 20ft above power lines what happens to be worst
         is to fly near a pole that has a transformer on it not only causing Magnetic interference you will also
         experience RF interference causing god only knows what ?
2017-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-5-5 09:36
Hall , I can understand getting magnetic interference flying 20ft above power lines what happens to be worst
         is to fly near a pole that has a transformer on it not only causing Magnetic interference you will also
         experience RF interference causing god only knows what ?

I was just making the point that with Mavic I get the interference, with phantom I don't , so my question is why? And what might be the outcome as you say how will it react to RF interference.
2017-5-5
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

For me the glass is halffull.
And i expect to see new features in the "Mavic 2 Pro"
So i didn't vote, cause the option "none"  was not an option.
2017-5-5
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-5 09:42
I was just making the point that with Mavic I get the interference, with phantom I don't , so my question is why? And what might be the outcome as you say how will it react to RF interference.

Hall it's everything to do with the emf put off by the wiring to the rears. I used to get strange things happening while flying fast, why always stayed high and slow. But if shield the wiring like dji should have done, everything goes away on the compass end. It's constantly messing with the compass in its current design.

Software, not even gonna get into that. They should let you flash whatever firmware you want into the mavic though. Like if I ever wanted to get more batteries, they probably wouldn't be compatible with as far back as mine goes. Couldn't update them.
2017-5-5
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Possibly due to there being two compasses.  Double the possibility to receive interference, and ability for the control board to realize there is a slight difference in the two readings.
2017-5-5
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

I understood your point -- my opinion to why you get it with the Mavic and not the Phantom is that
the Mavic is more sensitive to interference due to the quality and type of components used in the circuitry
of the system , it can even be software related --- I said that flying near a transformer on a telephone pole
will cause magnetic an RF Interference -- This is why I did the Induced magnetism test to the Mavic and was still able to control it --- RF Interference will cause normal flight control to be compromised
2017-5-5
Use props
Willik
lvl.4
Flight distance : 638796 ft
Czechia

Hey there. I am quite satisfied here. I would only appreciate better camera (with aperture) and not so loud beeping RC (this annoys me really) but I hope FW up will solve this soon, and I definitely dont want to redesign the whole RC since I like the shape and small size very much.

Concerning camera - DNG and jpg improved a lot since the  last fw up (0.600) so also my previus 'hot spot' issue is not so 'hot' any more :-).
I am NOT having significant issues with app crash. Flying always with the latest versions (both app and FW) without troubles. I understand there could be some discrepancies with different versions of Android - but I guess if anyone flies with the recommended or positively reported devices it should be ok.
Luckily I have SGS 5 Neo and flying without any troubles.
Yes - I have encountered one video signal loss (before take off) and also an app freeze 1 or 2 times (once during the flight) but I believe this was caused by some other app running in the background... after restart all again without any problems.
(Still I think Mavic performs safe and predictable after approx 60km and few dozens of flights)...

On the other hand my Mavic almost flew away once when I tried to use Dronedeploy. Luckily I could stop the auto-pilot and get the Mavic back safely with a bit of shaking or my balls...
Holding fingers crossed - all good so far

2017-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-5-5 10:13
Possibly due to there being two compasses.  Double the possibility to receive interference, and ability for the control board to realize there is a slight difference in the two readings.

Also 2 compass on my P4 pro, no interference.
2017-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-5 10:08
Hall it's everything to do with the emf put off by the wiring to the rears. I used to get strange things happening while flying fast, why always stayed high and slow. But if shield the wiring like dji should have done, everything goes away on the compass end. It's constantly messing with the compass in its current design.

Software, not even gonna get into that. They should let you flash whatever firmware you want into the mavic though. Like if I ever wanted to get more batteries, they probably wouldn't be compatible with as far back as mine goes. Couldn't update them.

I was wondering how your project went, so you feel it worked? Good job..
2017-5-5
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-5 10:15
I was wondering how your project went, so you feel it worked? Good job..

It not only works, the thing flys in sport the whole time, in hot weather without any loss of gps and compass stays on point. It's like a new drone. I can't believe didn't do this earlier. I'll put together a quick one flew about mile out from my favorite park with mph stats.
2017-5-5
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

I don't see how the RC is affected by power lines, that the drone is over.  The drone antennaes may be more susceptible, especially if they are more sensitve to the RF energy frequency or harmonics of the frequency.

When I flew near power lines with transformers way out in the boonies NW of Sun City, the video was degraded coming from the drone (drone recording was fine).  I also experienced loss of control as the RC signals were blown out by noise from the line and/or the transformer.

The manual warns of flying near RF sources like that and also near comm. towers.

I like the portability of the controller.  I took my Mavic and everything in the fly more combo in a Loweprowe Nova 2 AW bag originally bought for a SLR Digial Camera (Nikon D70 18-74 mm lens) through airport security with room to spare and good padding.  The DJI bag is a little to tight for me.
2017-5-5
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

Willik Posted at 2017-5-5 10:15
Hey there. I am quite satisfied here. I would only appreciate better camera (with aperture) and not so loud beeping RC (this annoys me really) but I hope FW up will solve this soon, and I definitely dont want to redesign the whole RC since I like the shape and small size very much.

Concerning camera - DNG and jpg improved a lot since the  last fw up (0.600) so also my previus 'hot spot' issue is not so 'hot' any more :-).

Willik , I'm also quite satisfied with my Mavic --- I do see interference being one of the top issues
           where I fly is very isolated and I've only seen a few real causes of interference here and they are
           obvious especially the one's I create --- I don't want you to think I don't like my Mavic
           I love my Mavic
FlySafe-FlyFree   
2017-5-5
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-5 10:08

thehippoz , Glad to hear you solved you interference issues --- I plan on doing it in the future

2017-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bill in Ohio Posted at 2017-5-5 10:23
I don't see how the RC is affected by power lines, that the drone is over.  The drone antennaes may be more susceptible, especially if they are more sensitve to the RF energy frequency or harmonics of the frequency.

When I flew near power lines with transformers way out in the boonies NW of Sun City, the video was degraded coming from the drone (drone recording was fine).  I also experienced loss of control as the RC signals were blown out by noise from the line and/or the transformer.

The problem arose after I kept getting interference warning flying over the same spot,interference warning asking to move antennas, I am well aware of the dangers of of flying close to RF sources and other potential interference sites. So knowing the spot and the fact it was on my land and no danger to anyone only my Mavic, I tried flying over with antennas at 90 deg at 45 deg and horizontal also with what should be weakest tips pointing at AC , so each time same warning strong magnetic interference move antennas.
I did exactly same test with P4Pro same positions with antennas, no warnings.
So I'm none the wiser, but I do know that Mavic or RC seems to be more susceptible to interference, how much interference it would take to get a reaction I haven't got that far. Yet.....
2017-5-5
Use props
Car147
lvl.3
Flight distance : 180351 ft
United Kingdom

None so far for me, only had it a couple of weeks though, but have had no issues at all .
2017-5-5
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-5 10:39
The problem arose after I kept getting interference warning flying over the same spot,interference warning asking to move antennas, I am well aware of the dangers of of flying close to RF sources and other potential interference sites. So knowing the spot and the fact it was on my land and no danger to anyone only my Mavic, I tried flying over with antennas at 90 deg at 45 deg and horizontal also with what should be weakest tips pointing at AC , so each time same warning strong magnetic interference move antennas.
So I'm none the wiser, but I do know that Mavic or RC seems to be more susceptible to interference, how much interference it would take to get a reaction I haven't got that far. Yet.....

Maybe you can get a magnetometer to check out that area.  Are you located near mountains, flat plains, iron ore deposits, or better yet magnetite (magnetic iron deposits).  However, the drone is probably affected by reception that interferes with the radio frequencies it is working on.

I was next to a container (shipping/truck) that my brother had on the property to keep his equipment in as he improves the land for a future home.  about 150 ft away ran a rural road with transformers about every 5th pole.  I had to move away from the container because the metal affects the compass (magnetic interference) and the transformers were probably emitting all kinds of RF in any number of frequencies.  I was flying OK until  I went to about 70 feet from the transformer next to his access road.  At that point video went to crap; streaks, pink areas, scrambled, etc.  That is when I lost control.  RTH kicked in an brought the drone back and I manually landed it.  
2017-5-5
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
United States

Yeah it's the rear wiring, I'm positive about this now. The compass on the mavic is constantly being bombarded with emf from the pwm power to the rears. It's just bad design. So the compass is already in a state where it doesn't take much to push it into toilet bowl land. The older firmware like mine, it wouldn't even drop into atti, it kept in gps mode and went tidy bowl.
2017-5-5
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

Car147 Posted at 2017-5-5 10:57
None so far for me, only had it a couple of weeks though, but have had no issues at all .

Car147 , Good for you --- Keep On Fly-in

FlySafe-FlyFree
2017-5-5
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-5-5 10:37
thehippoz , Glad to hear you solved you interference issues --- I plan on doing it in the future

Do it, it's well worth the effort.
2017-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bill in Ohio Posted at 2017-5-5 10:58
Maybe you can get a magnetometer to check out that area.  Are you located near mountains, flat plains, iron ore deposits, or better yet magnetite (magnetic iron deposits).  However, the drone is probably affected by reception that interferes with the radio frequencies it is working on.

I was next to a container (shipping/truck) that my brother had on the property to keep his equipment in as he improves the land for a future home.  about 150 ft away ran a rural road with transformers about every 5th pole.  I had to move away from the container because the metal affects the compass (magnetic interference) and the transformers were probably emitting all kinds of RF in any number of frequencies.  I was flying OK until  I went to about 70 feet from the transformer next to his access road.  At that point video went to crap; streaks, pink areas, scrambled, etc.  That is when I lost control.  RTH kicked in an brought the drone back and I manually landed it.

That's the problem I have been flying over the same area with phantom for over 2 years no problems, and still have no problems with my phantom, I live 50 feet from Atlantic Coast, I know the source of the problem and it's not a problem avoiding. But the difference with phantom and Mavic is chalk and cheese.

But I would like to know if it's more to do with RC than AC, I have stopped at the point of interference and can turn my back on the AC obviously RC as well so RC is completely blocked from AC and warning goes away, this is what makes me think it's more RC than AC.
2017-5-5
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-5 11:11
Do it, it's well worth the effort.

thehippoz, I do believe in that Murphy's Law saying  --- If it's not broke , Don't Fix It !!!
                lolllllll

{:4_181:}
2017-5-5
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

Checked the manual for warnings on pg 60 and 61 manual v 1.6.

Mag inferf + check app --- compass error see dji go4 app  (pg 60)  {haven't looked that up yet}

Three different stick errors which very from severe to slight electro magnetic interference  (not magnetic interference).

I would interpret that as Radio Frequency interference affecting the transmission reception at the drone.  Since the slight says fly the aircraft to a different location.  If it was affecting the interpretation of where the physical sticks are, it would say move the controller to a different location.

2017-5-5
Use props
digitalintruder
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

I would have expected the GO app to be solid since this wasn't a V0 version. The mavic itself, asides from some drifting in low light conditions and lack of side/rear sensors could be improved. I would also like to see a new controller for the mavic that has a built in display / or ability to stick my ipad mini in w/o it looking like I need potato hands to hold it.
2017-5-5
Use props
Mcflying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 243753 ft
Netherlands

Thank you for adding the option "none"  
I have voted!!!
2017-5-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bill in Ohio Posted at 2017-5-5 11:14
Checked the manual for warnings on pg 60 and 61 manual v 1.6.

Mag inferf + check app --- compass error see dji go4 app  (pg 60)  {haven't looked that up yet}

I understand Bill , I'll muse over that and check it out, as I said it's not been a real problem, but also don't want it to become one, thanks for help an thoughts.
2017-5-5
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-5 11:15
That's the problem I have been flying over the same area with phantom for over 2 years no problems, and still have no problems with my phantom, I live 50 feet from Atlantic Coast, I know the source of the problem and it's not a problem avoiding. But the difference with phantom and Mavic is chalk and cheese.

But I would like to know if it's more to do with RC than AC, I have stopped at the point of interference and can turn my back on the AC obviously RC as well so RC is completely blocked from AC and warning goes away, this is what makes me think it's more RC than AC.

Hall , Good observation -- I think it's RC related too
2017-5-5
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-5-5 11:16
thehippoz, I do believe in that Murphy's Law saying  --- If it's not broke , Don't Fix It !!!
                lolllllll

Lol well you won't be flying out like a boss! I'm not even worried about it anymore. Mavic just does what she's supposed to do. She was almost too hot to touch after second battery. Flying in 97F weather sport is not a good idea.

Overexposed (didn't put nd on) but shows a short clip yesterday that was in focus. Was having so much fun flying it in sport wasn't even paying attention till got into some of the bigwig politicians homes. Over a mile out in 97F hot sun through trees. The wiring shield fixed a lot of issues I had on the mavic at high speeds.
2017-5-5
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-5 11:28
Lol well you won't be flying out like a boss! I'm not even worried about it anymore. Mavic just does what she's supposed to do. She was almost too hot to touch after second battery. Flying in 97F weather sport is not a good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wK981LM-lNI

thehippoz,   Fooooooooooooook you sure you only shielded the rear motor leads??????
                  Cause you were Book-in --- My face is just starting to come back from being stretched from the
                  G-Force I experienced while watching your video
              wawawwloolllllllllll
   Loved It
2017-5-5
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-5-5 11:39
thehippoz,   Fooooooooooooook you sure you only shielded the rear motor leads??????
                  Cause you were Book-in --- My face is just starting to come back from being stretched from the
                  G-Force I experienced while watching your video

lol You should see the video on the way there. Was sport all way. I just like peeking in on the mayors home.
2017-5-5
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules