3243 91 2017-5-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Teodoro
lvl.2
Flight distance : 462648 ft
Brazil

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-5 08:41
I have tested Mavic RC flying over power lines 20 feet above them , I get strong magnetic interference warning, I can fly over same power lines same height at the same time with my P4 pro, no interference warning, so something wrong there, so SkunkWerks may have opened a can of worms here.

This happened to me when I’m flying my Mavic near a sub power station. I get very strong magnetic interference and lost control. The Mavic jus speed at max and start going crazing, after  a few minutes it ends crashing on a wall at full speed.
I live in Brasil and here we are not covered by DJI Warranty so I have disassembly it by my selfie and I found that the Gimbal Flat Cable is broken. I had purchase a new from china (U$13) and after 2 months waiting for the cable i could make the repair and now everything is ok.
If the Mavic has a ATTI user selectable mode maybe could i have put it in ATTI mode and regain the controller?
The Phantom series can fly in ATTI mode over power stations?

Thx and sorry for my bad English, I’m from Brasil and i LOVE Mavic, but these magnetic interference is frustrating...
2017-5-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Teodoro Posted at 2017-5-12 11:22
This happened to me when i'm flying my Mavc near a sub power station. I get very strong magnetic interference and lot control. The Mavic jus speed at max and start going crazyng, after  a few minutes it ends crashing on a wall at full speed.
I live in Brasil and here we are not covered by DJI Warranty sou i have disassembly it by my selfie and i found that the Gimbal Flat Cable is broken. I had purchase a new from china (U$13)  and after 2 months waiting for the cable i coud make the repair and now everything is ok.
Question? If the Mavic has a ATTI user selectable mode maybe coud i have put it in ATTI mode and regain the controler?

Magnetic interference effects compass and controller, going into Atti mode won't help because AC compass will be fighting with controller instructions so you may still have great difficulty controlling AC.
2017-5-12
Use props
Teodoro
lvl.2
Brazil

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-12 11:30
Magnetic interference effects compass and controller, going into Atti mode won't help because AC compass will be fighting with controller instructions so you may still have great difficulty controlling AC.

I'm a newbie... so, what the ATTI mode do? I thought that ATTI mode disable GPS and compass. What the compass is used for? I thought it was used to get the orientation north, south, east and west.
How can we fly over power stations or over strong eletromagnetc fields.
Witch function is used to monitoring power lines?

Thx for your reply and sorry for my bad english
2017-5-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Teodoro Posted at 2017-5-12 12:03
I'm a newbie... so, what the ATTI mode do? I thought that ATTI mode disable GPS and compass. What the compass is used for? I thought it was used to get the orientation north, south, east and west.
How can we fly over power stations or over strong eletromagnetc fields.
Witch function is used to monitoring power lines?

What is compass for mostly heading.

The GPS DOESNT KNOW what way the drone is pointing, it only knows a giving point in space and a giving point to go to and creates a bearing line from point A to Point B so the drone needs a compass so it can line up its front/nose acording to that bearing line.

Regarding power lines they are best avoided, dji have a new aircraft which is much shielded against interference from power lines , but you will have to pay close to €10 k , MATRICE 200, if you need to fly close to power lines.
2017-5-12
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

Teodoro Posted at 2017-5-12 11:24
This happened to me when I’m flying my Mavic near a sub power station. I get very strong magnetic interference and lost control. The Mavic jus speed at max and start going crazing, after  a few minutes it ends crashing on a wall at full speed.
I live in Brasil and here we are not covered by DJI Warranty so I have disassembly it by my selfie and I found that the Gimbal Flat Cable is broken. I had purchase a new from china (U$13) and after 2 months waiting for the cable i could make the repair and now everything is ok.
If the Mavic has a ATTI user selectable mode maybe could i have put it in ATTI mode and regain the controller?

I've seen this before I shielded the rear wiring to the motors. Once, my mavic flew from a stop really fast, one way, quite a distance then stopped and went back the other full speed. I wasn't touching the controls, it was from a hovered stop in sport mode. It eventually got it's bearings. This was after some time in sports mode. Sometimes it would go from a hover into a small spiral that got bigger and bigger until it settled back. Why used to always fly her up high. I know exactly what your experiencing, it's the emf to put off by the rear wiring causing these issues.

Since the mod, she's a perfect bird. Same firmware, only difference is she's not getting bombarded with emf from the power wires anymore. The sonic senors on the bottom seem redundant to me too. The ac has a barometer and the mavic reacts too slowly to objects under the craft at speed to be of any real use, other than preventing you from hand catching strait from the bottom. I catch from the back end. I'm going to disable those sometime with a switch.

Basically they needed to add shielding, but didn't. My wires were twisted too, as per the fix on mavic forums. I knew it was the wiring before anyone even mentioned the problem, think have posts on here to show that. Twisting the wires doesn't do much other than create an inductor when your talking about high power. It needs to be double shielded and then a good compass calibration done afterwards.
2017-5-12
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-12 12:25

The GPS DOESNT KNOW what way the drone is pointing, it only knows a giving point in space and a giving point to go to and creates a bearing line from point A to Point B so the drone needs a compass so it can line up its front/nose acording to that bearing line.

Yeah who knows why dji would use the compass in atti mode other than to show you direction in the app. But it wouldn't surprise me. It's not needed.
2017-5-12
Use props
Teodoro
lvl.2
Brazil

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-12 12:25

So I was thinking right. But, why the Mavic need the compass in ATTI mode if the GPS is off?
The phantom series has the ATTI user selectable mode. Can anyone confirm if the Phantom in ATTI has the compass of too so you can fly in manual mode over places with strong magnetic interference?
If we turn off the compass and GPS can we fly the way we want?

Thx for your reply
2017-5-12
Use props
Teodoro
lvl.2
Brazil

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-12 12:28
I've seen this before I shielded the rear wiring to the motors. Once, my mavic flew from a stop really fast, one way, quite a distance then stopped and went back the other full speed. I wasn't touching the controls, it was from a hovered stop in sport mode. It eventually got it's bearings. This was after some time in sports mode. Sometimes it would go from a hover into a small spiral that got bigger and bigger until it settled back. Why used to always fly her up high. I know exactly what your experiencing, it's the emf to put off by the rear wiring causing these issues.

Since the mod, she's a perfect bird. Same firmware, only difference is she's not getting bombarded with emf from the power wires anymore. The sonic senors on the bottom seem redundant to me too. The ac has a barometer and the mavic reacts too slowly to objects under the craft at speed to be of any real use, other than preventing you from hand catching strait from the bottom. I catch from the back end. I'm going to disable those sometime with a switch.

Could you share how to do this mod?
I'm really needed to fly near power station and i don’t have the money to buy the matrices series...
Here in Brasil they charge almost U$3,000.00 for a Mavic Pro Fly More Combo I can't imagine how much is the matrices series here...
I was thinking of making a mod to turn off the GPS and force it into ATTI mode but if the compass stays on there will not make sense ... Maybe is there a mod to turn off the compass?
What i needed is a way to fly near a power station whitout buying another drone...

Thx for your reply!
2017-5-12
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Teodoro Posted at 2017-5-12 13:01
So I was thinking right. But, why the Mavic need the compass in ATTI mode if the GPS is off?
The phantom series has the ATTI user selectable mode. Can anyone confirm if the Phantom in ATTI has the compass of too so you can fly in manual mode over places with strong magnetic interference?
If we turn off the compass and GPS can we fly the way we want?

You can fly in Atti mode so no gps , you can't switch of compass, what I think will happen is you will get message bad compass or similar but you should still be able to control phantom, if you switch back to gps you might have a problem with for instance RTH because your compass may be out of whack.
2017-5-12
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
United States

Teodoro Posted at 2017-5-12 13:12
Could you share how to do this mod?
I'm really needed to fly near power station and i don’t have the money to buy the matrices series...
Here in Brasil they charge almost U$3,000.00 for a Mavic Pro Fly More Combo I can't imagine how much is the matrices series here...

You could mod the compass also. I've only done the shielding which is the main issue. http://forum.dji.com/thread-94664-1-1.html

Apologize for the crazy audio. I make trolly videos. But the results are there. Also a video in this thread (unlisted on youtube because I'm not sure all of it was legal) on the first page http://bit.ly/2ptYewD . Could make faster flights too after the mod, which led to shot like this http://bit.ly/2ptYDPF .  Shows a bit of how unleashed the drone is after the mod was done. Can fly her in sports mode the full time if you wanted, well outside of up and forward as another poster pointed out (overcurrent).

The sonic sensor I'm sure would be strait forward solder job, but gps have to be careful. You could end up with interference putting in a switch there. I thought about it, but once you do the shielding, really no need to worry about atti anymore.
2017-5-12
Use props
Teodoro
lvl.2
Brazil

thehippoz Posted at 2017-5-12 14:01
You could mod the compass also. I've only done the shielding which is the main issue. http://forum.dji.com/thread-94664-1-1.html

Apologize for the crazy audio. I make trolly videos. But the results are there. Also a video in this thread (unlisted on youtube because I'm not sure all of it was legal) on the first page http://bit.ly/2ptYewD . Could make faster flights too after the mod, which led to shot like this http://bit.ly/2ptYDPF .  Shows a bit of how unleashed the drone is after the mod was done. Can fly her in sports mode the full time if you wanted, well outside of up and forward as another poster pointed out (overcurrent).

Thx a lot!! I will do this mod and post the results here!

Btw i need to fly over this structure... The image below was made with a Phantom drone
2017-5-12
Use props
Speeder
lvl.2
Flight distance : 491732 ft
New Zealand

The mavic magnetic controller is very bad due to magnetic interference...
And the Mavic's camera has a bad quality.
2017-5-12
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules