Taking off from a boat - no atti mode!
2234 18 2017-5-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fansa176e567
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1398 ft
Australia

Hi Guys.  I sometimes like to take off from a boat which is usually drifting in a bit of current.
I started with a Phantom and this was no problem - switch to ATTI mode and disable visual position sensors - the take off was easy - no fighting the boats position with position lock.

As yet I still don't believe there is an user selectable ATTI mode for the MAVIC - so attempting to do the same thing makes the take off and landing a LOT harder

Can we please have ATTI mode selectable?

The only workaround I've seen involves blocking out the GPS signal with foil or something simlar - but I wan't the GPS to be available AFTER takeoff - so this isn't an option.

Thanks

2017-5-5
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Another work around, stop the boat, take off, sail the boat. When landing, stop the boat, land then sail the boat...Repeat...
2017-5-5
Use props
fansa176e567
lvl.2
Australia

Doesn't seem you read my post properly.. the boat is drifting.. not making way.  Either way not an option that helps me thanks
2017-5-7
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

Yep we need a selectable Atti mode !  Too much automation sucks sometime .
2017-5-7
Use props
R&L Aerial
Second Officer
Flight distance : 298100 ft
  • >>>
United States

fansa176e567 Posted at 2017-5-7 01:37
Doesn't seem you read my post properly.. the boat is drifting.. not making way.  Either way not an option that helps me thanks

Okay, stop boat, throw anchor then land? Simple as a stick through a hoop, but seriously they are never going to let the mavic have attitude mode, with DJI refresh there would be too many accident.
2017-5-7
Use props
fansa176e567
lvl.2
Australia

R&L Aerial  Posted at 2017-5-7 06:01
Okay, stop boat, throw anchor then land? Simple as a stick through a hoop, but seriously they are never going to let the mavic have attitude mode, with DJI refresh there would be too many accident.

Anchoring isn't always an option..
I'm seeing people focusing on changing the circumstances of the take off and landing - not the flying of the drone...

The Phantom (at least 3) had ATTI mode from the beginning - and DJI Care was available.
IF accidents really are the reason behind no ATTI mode, then void the warranty/care for any accidents using this mode with a big disclaimer saying "do this at your own risk"
2017-5-10
Use props
fansa176e567
lvl.2
Australia

Baldo81 Posted at 2017-5-10 02:08
ATTI mode should be a must, as user discretion to activate it or not. I used the same way taking off and landing on the boat. Anchor is not an option when you're in the middle of the sea.. and if you stop the boat that is never ever 100% stopped, it always drifts a bit

DJI shoul implement an ATTI option on the Mavic

Finally someone else who also gets it!

Please DJI can you put user selectable ATTI mode back into the app?
Obviously the Mavic controller doesn't have a dedicated hardware switch - but you could use the app to allow a custom map of the 5 way button or even the C buttons?
2017-8-14
Use props
seeker_ktf_
lvl.4
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

It' not optimum for a lot of people but if you practice a bit it's not hard to to hand take-offs and landings.  When the boat is drifting you have to make sure that once you take off the Mavic will "correct" away from the boat.  For landing with a lot of drifting, you might need someone else to work the remote.  I recently tried the "turn it upside down" method after a grab and, well, not pretty, but it worked.  Otherwise, it will land in a hand just fine.  Practice on dry land.
2017-8-14
Use props
fansa176e567
lvl.2
Australia

seeker_ktf_ Posted at 2017-8-14 02:03
It' not optimum for a lot of people but if you practice a bit it's not hard to to hand take-offs and landings.  When the boat is drifting you have to make sure that once you take off the Mavic will "correct" away from the boat.  For landing with a lot of drifting, you might need someone else to work the remote.  I recently tried the "turn it upside down" method after a grab and, well, not pretty, but it worked.  Otherwise, it will land in a hand just fine.  Practice on dry land.

Thanks for the input  - this is similar to what I'm currently doing as a 'workaround'.
I find the landings are easy.. the drone is already in the air so I can see how much stick input is required to keep up with the drifting of the boat.

It's actually the takeoffs that have me nervous.  I always have to 'guess' how much stick input to ensure the drone clears the direction the boat is moving - but I don't want to overdo it...  I'm really not a fan of a combined horizontal and vertical movement during takeoff - I did have one slight drama once where I had too much horizontal input compared to up - and the leg caught on the edge of the carpet surface...fortunately the drone sorted itself out   It would be a lot easier with ATTI however!!

One tip that makes landings a LOT easier is to disable the 'Smart Landing' feature - it prevents the drone from flying away when you put your hand underneath.  It also means the drone doesn't slow down too much when you want to come in for a 'quick' approach.  I also land backwards (rather than disable Forward Collision Detection' so this doesn't cause issues.

2017-8-14
Use props
gnirtS
Second Officer
Flight distance : 5712575 ft
Cayman Islands

Id go for hand launch in the above scenario.  Its not that hard to do and has the advantage of you holding the drone already well clear of obstructions before it lifts.
2017-8-14
Use props
Tombolian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 675958 ft
United States

I don't drive a boat, but hand-launching is a piece of cake once you've practiced.  
2017-8-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Think the problem with Atti is very clear, when it goes into auto Atti mode most fail miserably, and you might find this will happen if you had a switch and wanted practice. you do have an option of buying a 50 bucks drone to practice Atti Mode so you will be ready for it when it comes but it seems most would rather take the risk with their €1000 drone , so might not be the most sensible thing to have on the Mavic.
2017-8-14
Use props
AG0N-Gary
Second Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-8-14 08:56
Think the problem with Atti is very clear, when it goes into auto Atti mode most fail miserably, and you might find this will happen if you had a switch and wanted practice. you do have an option of buying a 50 bucks drone to practice Atti Mode so you will be ready for it when it comes but it seems most would rather take the risk with their €1000 drone , so might not be the most sensible thing to have on the Mavic.

Not the point hallmark.  When it goes into atti mode on its own, it may switch back and forth unpredictably between gps and atti, making it very hard to control.  If it were to go to atti and stay there, control would be no problem for most of them after a little practice.
2017-8-14
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-8-14 11:05
Not the point hallmark.  When it goes into atti mode on its own, it may switch back and forth unpredictably between gps and atti, making it very hard to control.  If it were to go to atti and stay there, control would be no problem for most of them after a little practice.

I do understand what your saying, but I have also seen exactly they same destruction happening with those who have the option to switch to Atti. Remember when a phantom looses gps it automatically goes into Atti mode you don't have to push any buttons, yes you can but it isn't the Be all and end all.
2017-8-14
Use props
seeker_ktf_
lvl.4
United States

fansa176e567 Posted at 2017-8-14 02:15
Thanks for the input  - this is similar to what I'm currently doing as a 'workaround'.
I find the landings are easy.. the drone is already in the air so I can see how much stick input is required to keep up with the drifting of the boat.

They way I take off from the boat is, startup, extent my arm, and just jam the stick to full throttle up.  The Mavic climbs really fast and once you have some height, everything is easy.

I turn off the VPS, mostly because stories of VPS causing problems near water.  I never had problems myself but flyer beware.
2017-8-15
Use props
seeker_ktf_
lvl.4
United States

fansa176e567 Posted at 2017-8-14 02:15

They way I take off from the boat is, startup, extent my arm, and just jam the stick to full throttle up.  The Mavic climbs really fast and once you have some height, everything is easy.

I turn off the VPS, mostly because stories of VPS causing problems near water.  I never had problems myself but flyer beware.
2017-8-15
Use props
QuadKid
Second Officer
Flight distance : 482349 ft
United States

seeker_ktf_ Posted at 2017-8-15 01:57

" I'm really not a fan of a combined horizontal and vertical movement during takeoff "

Aaahh yes, gives you some appreciation of what Fighter Pilots experience landing on an AC carrier at 180mph !!!
2017-8-15
Use props
fansa176e567
lvl.2
Australia

gnirtS Posted at 2017-8-14 06:26
Id go for hand launch in the above scenario.  Its not that hard to do and has the advantage of you holding the drone already well clear of obstructions before it lifts.

Hand launching is easy.. no disagreement there.  That is not the problem.
I have no control over the movement of the platform I'm standing on - have you tried hand launching from a moving platform that you don't control with GPS mode on?  It's not as simple as it sounds

I don't see the advantage of adding the complexity of hand launching to an already difficult situation with GPS mode still on sorry

2017-8-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules