59414 85 2017-5-6
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DaddyDe
lvl.3
Flight distance : 61860 ft
  • >>>
United States

I have had my Mavic Pro a few weeks and it has worked really well until recently when I started having an issue with the gimbal...  I have noticed several threads/comments from other pilots on the Mavic Pilots forum experiencing the same or similar issue but I have not been able to locate any existing threads on this DJI Mavic Forum nor have I been able to find any posted solutions on any of the forums so I am hoping someone will have an idea of something that I could do to resolve this issue...

When I power on the Mavic Pro, the gimbal attempts to initialize but then I receive a message in the DJI GO4 app that there is an "Aircraft Motor Overload - check whether Gimbal clamp is removed" - Previously I had received a message regarding gimbal obstruction and another time when I attempted to calibrate the compass I received a message regarding too much interferance to calibrate compass...

The Gimbal clamp is definitely removed and I can not detect any type of obstruction to the gimbal/camera although when the gimbal initially attempts to initialize it clicks a couple of times like the camera is hitting the gimbal frame...  The aircraft has never had a crash or even a hard landing...  I have tried to calibrate the gimbal but it fails at 5%...  The aircraft gets noticably hot during the initialization attempt process... I have examined the camera/gimbal under a powerful magnifying glass and can not detect anything loose or bent or anything that appears to be out of normal.  

I am fairly new to the Mavic but I am not new to flying dji quads...  I have a P1 and P2 that I learned to fly with a couple of years ago and I have flown the Inspire1 and Inspire2 since they were released...  

So that is my story... I would very much welcome and appreciate any assistance or thoughts that anyone might have to offer...
Thanks for reading...
De
2017-5-6
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

Did you manually check the gimbal movementto either extreme direction? I suggest holding the camera gently between two fingers and move it GENTLY all the way to eiither extreme direction but DO NOT force it beyond it's limit. After a rouhg landing caused by a wind gust, I had to do these steps several times and since then never had these message again (few month ago)
2017-5-6
Use props
DaddyDe
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-5-6 14:34
Did you manually check the gimbal movementto either extreme direction? I suggest holding the camera gently between two fingers and move it GENTLY all the way to eiither extreme direction but DO NOT force it beyond it's limit. After a rouhg landing caused by a wind gust, I had to do these steps several times and since then never had these message again (few month ago)

Thank you for your response...  I gave that a Gentle try - several times, the Gimbal seems to be free to move to it's limits, it just stops in the downward and/or starboard position and I keep getting the message  that the "aircraft motor is overloaded. check whether gimbal clamp is removed" and "Gimbal is restarting. Check that the gimbal rotates smoothly if restart fails again"... The gimbal status just keeps restarting. and the "Gimbal Obstructed" message is on the top line when I get out of the menu, however I can not see any obstruction and if I touch the camera/gimbal ever so gently, it moves freely and then tries again to restart the initialization process.
2017-5-6
Use props
dronist
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

DaddyDe Posted at 2017-5-6 20:21
Thank you for your response...  I gave that a Gentle try - several times, the Gimbal seems to be free to move to it's limits, it just stops in the downward and/or starboard position and I keep getting the message  that the "aircraft motor is overloaded. check whether gimbal clamp is removed" and "Gimbal is restarting. Check that the gimbal rotates smoothly if restart fails again"... The gimbal status just keeps restarting. and the "Gimbal Obstructed" message is on the top line when I get out of the menu, however I can not see any obstruction and if I touch the camera/gimbal ever so gently, it moves freely and then tries again to restart the initialization process.

My pleasure. could you post a video of the process filming the gimbal from different sides while inittializing.
2017-5-7
Use props
DaddyDe
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-5-7 06:13
My pleasure. could you post a video of the process filming the gimbal from different sides while inittializing.

Actually I had sent DJI an email Sunday morning, detailing the problems I was having and they responded within about half an hour sending me detailed instructions to re-calibrate the IMU and Gimbal. I was able to successfully re-calibrate the IMU however the gimbal calibration hung at 31% so they asked that I send it in which I did this morning. I will update this post once I have heard back from DJI as to what the issue is.  Thanks again for the response.  De
2017-5-9
Use props
Bradders
lvl.4
Flight distance : 862283 ft
United Kingdom

My gimbal over heats, so much so that you cannot even touch it... this happened only after the 600 update
2017-5-9
Use props
fansa11fdf7d
New
Flight distance : 41759 ft
New Zealand

DaddyDe Posted at 2017-5-9 00:16
Actually I had sent DJI an email Sunday morning, detailing the problems I was having and they responded within about half an hour sending me detailed instructions to re-calibrate the IMU and Gimbal. I was able to successfully re-calibrate the IMU however the gimbal calibration hung at 31% so they asked that I send it in which I did this morning. I will update this post once I have heard back from DJI as to what the issue is.  Thanks again for the response.  De

I have the exactly same problem .... let me know how you get on with it ....

did u mean u sent the mavic back to DJI ?
2017-5-15
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

DaddyDe Posted at 2017-5-9 00:16

I have similar problem with gimbal/camera getting stuck while starting up camera is very close to gimbal frame, I have been just giving it a little help and after that it seems ok, but obviously shouldn't happen, so would be interested to know how you get on.
2017-5-15
Use props
JayLee in Aus
New

Australia

I have a same problem as well I will put my video as well
2017-5-15
Use props
JayLee in Aus
New

Australia

2017-5-15
Use props
JayLee in Aus
New

Australia

This is crazy Anyone has idea? How can solve the problem??

I did update and never had damaged or crashed ...
2017-5-15
Use props
DaddyDe
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

fansa11fdf7d Posted at 2017-5-15 02:37
I have the exactly same problem .... let me know how you get on with it ....

did u mean u sent the mavic back to DJI ?

Yes - I sent it back to DJI (California Location) and they have reported that it was fixed and will be shipped back to me within the next two business days...  No charge for shipping either direction and no charge for repairs - all covered under warranty...
2017-5-18
Use props
DaddyDe
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-5-15 03:07
I have similar problem with gimbal/camera getting stuck while starting up camera is very close to gimbal frame, I have been just giving it a little help and after that it seems ok, but obviously shouldn't happen, so would be interested to know how you get on.

I sent it back to DJI (California Location) and they have reported that it was fixed and will be shipped back to me within the next two business days...  No charge for shipping either direction and no charge for repairs - all covered under warranty...
2017-5-18
Use props
fans557df709
lvl.1

United States

Sorry to read about your gimbal. When you received your Mavic back did you get the same exact Mavic that you sent in. Did the replace it or fix it. Please let me know. Double check your serial number between your box from when you bought it and the Mavic they sent back to you. The serial number is under the battery. Thsnkyou
2017-5-31
Use props
Apopj
lvl.2
Flight distance : 653 ft
United States

Exactly the same problem here....getting help from DJI is a pain, keep asking same questions over and over. Yes!!!! The freakin gimbal lock is off already. Aith the hundreds of us having this problem, you'd think they would correct it. Ibought right from DJI using paypal.bought it forvacation. Cant use it, sending it back for refund. Doesnt matter how cool it is, if it doesnt work, its just an expensive paper weight.
2017-5-31
Use props
fans99f8024e
New
Flight distance : 496539 ft
Ukraine

Exactly same problem here again. Nothing works, no idea how to fix this issue. Happened after a flight in the nature in sport mode mostly, but I don't think that's the reason for this error, since many started to have it exactly same.
2017-6-30
Use props
DaddyDe
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

fans557df709 Posted at 2017-5-31 07:28
Sorry to read about your gimbal. When you received your Mavic back did you get the same exact Mavic that you sent in. Did the replace it or fix it. Please let me know. Double check your serial number between your box from when you bought it and the Mavic they sent back to you. The serial number is under the battery. Thsnkyou

When I received my Mavic back it was a different unit/different serial number.  Gimbal and everything else works fine. No charges for shipments either direction / no charges for repair/replacement...  Have flown several flights since I received the replacement Mavic with zero issues...  DJI Customer service was very courteous with regular unsolicited updates as it was going through the process however I did not receive any feedback regarding what was wrong with my original unit.
2017-7-6
Use props
hqyQ3BddD0Ma
New
Flight distance : 303875 ft
United States

My mavic also react the same exact way after couple mails to DJI.. but i have one small crack on one of the leg but it happened when fixing propellers too much of prusher. but DJI not accept to fix under warranty instead they want 75+ USD to replace under my DJI care refresh!! even i try explaining its not cause by accident it's a Defect/Bug ... Finally i tired then i paid it's a worst experience even DJI knows about this issue very well but because of the leg crack I failed !! Guys remember if you have DJI care refresh they might ask you to pay instead using waranty it's strange..
2017-7-7
Use props
fanse152cfc8
New
Flight distance : 246237 ft
Austria

DaddyDe Posted at 2017-7-6 22:13
When I received my Mavic back it was a different unit/different serial number.  Gimbal and everything else works fine. No charges for shipments either direction / no charges for repair/replacement...  Have flown several flights since I received the replacement Mavic with zero issues...  DJI Customer service was very courteous with regular unsolicited updates as it was going through the process however I did not receive any feedback regarding what was wrong with my original unit.

Was the gimbal issue covered in the included warranty or with DJI CARE? I just sent mine in with the exact same issue and I'm worried they are going to say it is not covered for some silly reason.
2017-7-7
Use props
LaCcTv_com
lvl.2
Flight distance : 54885 ft
United States

Having the same problem no crashes no hard landings. Just got my dji goggles and used for day now gimble is all over the place I am so pi$$ed because i am leaving on vacation in the morning and will be without my f-ing drone This is the reason i bought there product so i can take it with me thinking I would be able to get some epic shots.

2017-7-8
Use props
suchin2
New
Flight distance : 303875 ft
United States

fanse152cfc8 Posted at 2017-7-7 01:18
Was the gimbal issue covered in the included warranty or with DJI CARE? I just sent mine in with the exact same issue and I'm worried they are going to say it is not covered for some silly reason.

fanse152cfc8 What's the outcome from DJI ?? please update like to know..
2017-7-10
Use props
NEY BARROS
New
Flight distance : 933655 ft
Brazil

I bought Mavic one week ago and had the same problem. Since I am in Brazil I am worried if DJI will fix this problem here!
2017-7-15
Use props
NEY BARROS
New
Flight distance : 933655 ft
Brazil

I discovered that This problem is because the gimbal flat cabe is broken.
2017-7-15
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
Flight distance : 140413 ft
United States

Well I tried the calibration on the gimbal and IMU which failed and stopped at 5%. DJI tech support right away sent me a prepaid return label. I've had this since March 2017 probably don't have over 3hrs total time in the air.

Problem started after the latest update as others have noted as well. Was working fine before that, no issues just a lot of fun. I use a foam interlocking pad for landings and treat my Mavic Pro gently.

I'll send this back 7/24 and hopefully all will be repaired and I won't have this issue again.

So far very impressed with DJI support and their willingness to correct their issues.

Stay tuned for an update.
2017-7-18
Use props
fans3acc0b0a
New
United States

I have the same problem: "aircraft engine overloaded, check whether gimbal clamp is removed" and then "gimbal obstructed". Tried all the resets, calibration of gimbal doesn't get passed 5%.

I'm desperate. I'm shooting video and photo in Iceland for 14 days,  spent thousands of dollars getting expensive car rentals and expensive activities to get epic drone shots of the nature here and this f---ing drone stops working on day 2! I read here that it could be a problem with the flat cable being broken. Not an expert but the cable doesn't seem interrupted or anything... I don't have time to send back the drone for repair and wait for DJI's freaking diagnose. I chatted with tech support but they were useless. Their support really really SUCKS. Anyone that could please help? I'm desperate at this point. I'm considering driving 400 miles back to Reykjavik to buy a replacement if this thing doesn't work tomorrow.

Thank you

Mat
2017-7-21
Use props
Alexei Merinov
lvl.4
Flight distance : 4796509 ft
Vietnam

I flew my Mavik in the park. The flight passed among rare trees at very low altitude and at very low speed.
Mavik told me that his battery charge is low. Mavik was thirty meters away from me. And I just came closer to make a landing on the place where he was.

From Mavik heard a message that in 10 seconds from flying home. That would be enough for correction and successful landing.
But in less than two seconds, as Mavik suddenly told me that he was making a return trip, he very quickly gained altitude and horizontal speed.
At the same time he flew "tail forward."
Everything happened instantly - he "bum and back" crashed into a tree.
Here's a video of this situation.

Now the  Gimbal of my Mavik is like everyone else on this branch.
2017-7-22
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
United States

Dx_Operator Posted at 2017-7-18 04:45
Well I tried the calibration on the gimbal and IMU which failed and stopped at 5%. DJI tech support right away sent me a prepaid return label. I've had this since March 2017 probably don't have over 3hrs total time in the air.

Problem started after the latest update as others have noted as well. Was working fine before that, no issues just a lot of fun. I use a foam interlocking pad for landings and treat my Mavic Pro gently.

Mavic is packed and ready to send into DJI for repair of this Gimbal overload / heat failure. Purchased March 2017 and don't have more than 5hrs flight time. DJI sent me a prepaid return label so it seems they know this may be some common issue and my Mavic is under warranty.

Stay tuned..will let everyone know how I make out.
2017-7-24
Use props
fansef44ffdf
New
Flight distance : 8747 ft
Norway

I also got the same gimbal issue. I have flown aproxximatly 5 hours. Bought the Mavic in late april here in Norway. Will deliver it to the store that sold it to me. Until it is fixed, I'll use my spark :-)
2017-7-24
Use props
fansdc436f06
New

United Kingdom

I'm having problems with my mavic pro ...it keeps telling me I've got a gimbal motor overload ...also go no camera screen anymore on my phone ..after a system failure while it was 3ft off the ground it shot right and bounced off a wall ..result was a broken vibration plate which I've changed    any more help would be a great help
2017-7-24
Use props
brettt
lvl.3
United States

Wow, is there anyone who DOESN'T have this problem with the Mavic?
2017-7-24
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
United States

Dx_Operator Posted at 2017-7-24 05:20
Mavic is packed and ready to send into DJI for repair of this Gimbal overload / heat failure. Purchased March 2017 and don't have more than 5hrs flight time. DJI sent me a prepaid return label so it seems they know this may be some common issue and my Mavic is under warranty.

You must be adamant with DJI support. I sent my Mavic in that has no more than 5 hrs flight time. Explained to then as I have here. Look the issue did NOT occur until I updated the firmware. I also mentioned the many operators here that encountered the same issue.  I also pointed out there is not a scratch on the Mavic.

I did all this to head off any BS they would come up with not to repair it under warranty.

Well I get statement back from DJI within two days of them receiving it stating the gimbal arm
needed to replaced and it would cost ME $59 for the part and it would take them two hours to
repair it at $65 per hour!!

Oh yeah you think so. I blasted them first with a phone call then updated my case notes.
This is were being adamant comes in. If you don't stand your ground you must understand
their marching orders are bill the customer and they will just accept it to get the Mavic back.
If you don't make a good case and lead the dog to water they will brush you off and just send you
a bill.

Not this guy, I know how these places work and two days later just a short time ago received an
email retraction of the bill!! Yea you bet you will. DJI said it will be return in a week.

I wanted to pass along this information. Also read the warranty period for each part of the Mavic.

The gimbal arm which was damaged when the firmware update was done. This sent it into a spaz attack and broke it with the flopping around everyone here is all too familiar with after the firmware update.  This has 6 month warranty but I would push for free replacement after this DJI firmware update issue.  
2017-8-2
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
United States

You must be adamant with DJI support. I sent my Mavic in that has no more than 5 hrs flight time. Explained to then as I have here. Look the issue did NOT occur until I updated the firmware. I also mentioned the many operators here that encountered the same issue.  I also pointed out there is not a scratch on the Mavic.

I did all this to head off any BS they would come up with not to repair it under warranty.

Well I get statement back from DJI within two days of them receiving it stating the gimbal arm
needed to replaced and it would cost ME $59 for the part and it would take them two hours to
repair it at $65 per hour!!

Oh yeah you think so. I blasted them first with a phone call then updated my case notes.
This is were being adamant comes in. If you don't stand your ground you must understand
their marching orders are bill the customer and they will just accept it to get the Mavic back.
If you don't make a good case and lead the dog to water they will brush you off and just send you
a bill.

Not this guy, I know how these places work and two days later just a short time ago received an
email retraction of the bill!! Yea you bet you will. DJI said it will be return in a week.

I wanted to pass along this information. Also read the warranty period for each part of the Mavic.

The gimbal arm which was damaged when the firmware update was done. This sent it into a spaz attack and broke it with the flopping around everyone here is all too familiar with after the firmware update.  This has 6 month warranty but I would push for free replacement after this DJI firmware update issue.  
2017-8-2
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Dx_Operator Posted at 2017-8-2 18:27

Sorry for this, may I have your case number? I'd like to look into it.
2017-8-2
Use props
lvrider
New
United States

I'm having the same problem as everyone else. I wasted a whole morning looking up what could be the problem. The gimbal was in all 3 tabs so that wasn't the problem. Spent another few hours to find the video of the guy on the beach with no words showing the tilt turn on tip. It is really weird you can turn it on holding it on its side it will make it work temporarily but when flying its horrible video quality and few minutes the obstruction error came back. I just mailed my drone back yesterday. I am really bummed as I have 8 batteries burning a hole in my case so to speak. Last trip to the mountains 4 batteries didn't last quite long enough so I got twice as many. Made one quick lap around the lake and was buzzing the little boy who glued to my lap to stare at the iPad who I have no clue whos child was. landed it to swap batteries and when I tried to take off it said gimbal obstruction error. we hand caught the drone since the shore was rocky we launched from. its really frustrating I only have 3 hours or so flight time and its messed up already. I spent over 5 grand on stuff just for this drone. the editing computer was a big factor but still 8 batteries, new iPad mini, pelican case, launch pad, countless accessories etc. It REALLY sucks not being able to use the drone! Last trip was 2 hour drive one way that was essentially ruined from it not working. imagine how lame it would been had I traveled out of state which I plan to do in the future with it. Do I have to have to buy two mavics in case one doesn't work??? What is the cause of this so I know not to let it happen to my new mavic? Too much time zooming in sport mode? Flying at 40 mph is my favorite thing to do with it. It is as much of as rush as a dirtbike and theres no potential of a hospital bill.
2017-8-8
Use props
Ash7aq
lvl.1
Croatia

lvrider Posted at 2017-8-8 06:37
I'm having the same problem as everyone else. I wasted a whole morning looking up what could be the problem. The gimbal was in all 3 tabs so that wasn't the problem. Spent another few hours to find the video of the guy on the beach with no words showing the tilt turn on tip. It is really weird you can turn it on holding it on its side it will make it work temporarily but when flying its horrible video quality and few minutes the obstruction error came back. I just mailed my drone back yesterday. I am really bummed as I have 8 batteries burning a hole in my case so to speak. Last trip to the mountains 4 batteries didn't last quite long enough so I got twice as many. Made one quick lap around the lake and was buzzing the little boy who glued to my lap to stare at the iPad who I have no clue whos child was. landed it to swap batteries and when I tried to take off it said gimbal obstruction error. we hand caught the drone since the shore was rocky we launched from. its really frustrating I only have 3 hours or so flight time and its messed up already. I spent over 5 grand on stuff just for this drone. the editing computer was a big factor but still 8 batteries, new iPad mini, pelican case, launch pad, countless accessories etc. It REALLY sucks not being able to use the drone! Last trip was 2 hour drive one way that was essentially ruined from it not working. imagine how lame it would been had I traveled out of state which I plan to do in the future with it. Do I have to have to buy two mavics in case one doesn't work??? What is the cause of this so I know not to let it happen to my new mavic? Too much time zooming in sport mode? Flying at 40 mph is my favorite thing to do with it. It is as much of as rush as a dirtbike and theres no potential of a hospital bill.

Anyone able to find the solution.
Mine just started to have the same behaviour and that too when I travelled 700 km to shoot some videos (
Anyone was able to find the solution .
Gimbal calibration fails at 5% for me and rest all symptoms are the same . Even tried tilting it on the side which worked for 5 minutes and now no luck .

2017-8-12
Use props
Ash7aq
lvl.1
Croatia

Mine just started to have the same behaviour and that too when I travelled 700 km to shoot some videos (
Gimbal calibration fails at 5% for me and rest all symptoms are the same . Even tried tilting it on the side which worked for 5 minutes and now no luck .

2017-8-12
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
United States

DJI Diana Posted at 2017-8-2 20:04
Sorry for this, may I have your case number? I'd like to look into it.

CAS-803312-F8J1G5 CRM:0001000901734

Thank you for your time Diana.

I recorded our chat log as well.
2017-8-13
Use props
Dx_Operator
lvl.2
United States

Ash7aq Posted at 2017-8-12 13:45

Guys as I stated in my previous posts in this thread just send it back.

My issue started after the latest update to  3.09 whatever it is.
It has not been acknowledged by DJI this caused the issue but there is nothing else I did to
create the issue. The mavic ran flawless until I did the update.

Then as previously stated the gimbal arm did it spaz out flip and flopping and CS says the arm was
damaged yes by your firmware update not my use!!

DJI can update what is causing this issue and hopefully it does NOT happen again.

Yes it sucks and its very expensive tool but they paid for shipping both ways and completed the repair.
About three weeks by the time I received my Mavic back.

I did have an issue with the mavic not binding to my controller.

Now that should not be caused by this gimbal arm repair but I spent over two hours via chat
since CS was closed trying to get in linked back to the controller.

If I had known I would have just followed these instructions in this video link below.
It sure would have been quicker than trying to chat with CS and the guy had no clue and I had to
keep repeating things.

Good luck and post your findings via this thread.
2017-8-13
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Dx_Operator Posted at 2017-8-13 13:11
CAS-803312-F8J1G5 CRM:0001000901734

Thank you for your time Diana.

Just checked this case, the drone has been repaired and shipped out, I've tracked the tracking number, I think you've received the drone, right? Did you check the performance of the drone, is it working properly?
2017-8-13
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator

Sorry to read on it, I understand how you feel. Since you've sent the drone in, may I know what is your case number? I'll do my best to escalate it for you.
2017-8-13
Use props
123Next >
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules